News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Re: Most conspicuous features of your home course
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2020, 06:34:44 PM »
Riverfront, an early TD course in Suffolk, VA, has a complexity of green & green complex slopes that is completely unlike anything in the area.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

James Bennett

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 12:06:51 AM »
the railway line and train that cuts through the course, with no fencing, and abutting several holes plus the clubhouse.  Holes 2 through 13 are on the north side of the single track, the others (plus clubhouse, carpark and entrance) is on the south.
I don't know which of 'the three muskateers' that visited in early March were more excited by the train.

James B
(Royal Adelaide GC)
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2020, 02:09:18 AM »
the railway line and train that cuts through the course, with no fencing, and abutting several holes plus the clubhouse.  Holes 2 through 13 are on the north side of the single track, the others (plus clubhouse, carpark and entrance) is on the south.
I don't know which of 'the three muskateers' that visited in early March were more excited by the train.

James B
(Royal Adelaide GC)
Surely the 3rd green site gets some mentions too?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robert_Ball

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2020, 02:35:42 AM »
Four of our last five holes are par 5s. #12 is the final par 4 of the round.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 04:22:48 AM »
For visitors these days it's usually the quality of the conditioning and the contouring and speed of the greens.
Once upon a time visitors comments were usually directed at the long distance views, and they were delightful ....... not many long distance views over the last decade or two though, trees everywhere! Sigh.
Never mind, some tree removal progress is now being made but it's a slow and expensive and controversial process as has been discussed herein numerous times before.
atb

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2020, 06:38:12 AM »
Surely the 3rd green site gets some mentions too?
Mark Pearce
Lots of things get mentions, including the 3rd green, 11th green and 14th hole.I enjoy showing the picture of the third green in its natural state as seen by Mackenzie (it is hung in the locker room).
The (few remaining) elevated bunkers get a mention, but for other reasons.
The feature that is critical to the course presentation but is not as conspicuous is the water recovery facility, which converts 200 ML of stormwater into cleansed water able to be pumped into the local aquifer, and withdrawn during the many months of summer drought.  The lakes system is out of play (unless a shot is a long way offline on 14 or 15), but its presence enables quality water to be used for irrigation without raising salinity.  I try to point out this 'feature'.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »

That is a pretty unusual sequence of holes. What is the course?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jay Mickle

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2020, 01:42:24 PM »
The reveal of the Mid Pines Hotel as one approaches on the walk down the 18th fairway.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2020, 02:53:58 PM »
The reveal of the Mid Pines Hotel as one approaches on the walk down the 18th fairway.

It is stunning end to a wonderful course. I love the walk up 18 on many courses especially when the clubhouse fits in with the course.

Nanea
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

SL_Solow

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2020, 09:47:24 PM »
Barney loves our relatively small and unpretentious clubhouse.  Most visitors comment on the conditioning of our course.  But the most interesting common comment is that the course looks to be a lot easier than it plays.  No one feels like they have been beaten up when they are done but their scores are higher than they would have expected.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2020, 02:17:16 PM »
Most conspicuous features at Kingsley are probably:

1) Non-course related: The dirt road on the drive in, and the unassuming clubhouse.
2) Physical land forms: The hills on #s 1 and 17.
3) Architecturally: Split tees on nine, and some of the greens with fairly wild contours (1, 3, 13).

But for me the most conspicuous for me is probably the turf.  I've not played in the UK or Ireland yet, so there are very few courses I've seen with the fescue that we have at Kingsley in perfect condition.  It's probably the most unique aspect of the course.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2020, 02:29:19 PM »

Is this the Robert Ball I once knew and played golf with?  Still wear my Oakleys I "won" at Sherwood CC, and have warm memories of our last round at Victoria.

At my home club, two unusual , conspicuous features: 1) large, eye-catching, gathering bunkers (terrain graded to feed shots into them), and 2) green surrounds which repel approaches into difficult, closely-mown turf, often resulting in downhill lies to ultra-firm greens (think of a Redan which instead of feeding the ball to the hole, kicks it away).

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2020, 02:35:06 PM »
Most conspicuous features at Kingsley are probably:

1) Non-course related: The dirt road on the drive in, and the unassuming clubhouse.
2) Physical land forms: The hills on #s 1 and 17.
3) Architecturally: Split tees on nine, and some of the greens with fairly wild contours (1, 3, 13).

But for me the most conspicuous for me is probably the turf.  I've not played in the UK or Ireland yet, so there are very few courses I've seen with the fescue that we have at Kingsley in perfect condition.  It's probably the most unique aspect of the course.

Bill, the first time I played there the bunkering (especially on 1) and the ninth hole stood out.
St. John of the Cross

Bill Seitz

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2020, 03:13:28 PM »

Victoria?  I was just tweeting with Tommy Naccarato about Vic.  It was our home course senior year when UC Riverside was still a D2 club team.  I loved that place.  Haven't played it since then.  Part of me wants another shot at it with modern equipment, and part of me wants to play it with hickories. 

I would say the tee shots on 7 and 18 are pretty memorable, just for the street aspect. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:17:34 PM by Bill Seitz »

Bill Seitz

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2020, 03:45:33 PM »
I would say the tee shots on 7 and 18 are pretty memorable, just for the street aspect.

Nine is conspicuous in a lot of ways.  :)

Ira Fishman

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2020, 04:37:02 PM »

Certainly one of the great walks up an 18th Hole that I have experienced. Swinley Forest is a contender.  I am sure that TOC would be as well.

And the view from the bar down the hole at MP may be unmatched.

Ira

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2020, 05:04:20 PM »
The most 'conspicuous' feature on my home course earns the nod only because it's the most quietly significant & impactful of features: a small creek/dry bed that runs diagonally across the fairway of the 380 yard Par 4 second hole. To clear it at the safest point takes about a 250 yard drive; and to avoid it means playing well short, since the fairway starts sloping down (and feeding balls) towards it at about 220 yards out -- except at the extreme left side of the fairway, where its flatter but from where the approach shot-angle into the green is at its toughest. An elegantly simple and understated architectural feature on a course that is rather bereft of such features, understated or otherwise -- and so 'conspicuous'.
P

Cal Seifert

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2020, 05:45:32 PM »
The most 'conspicuous' feature on my home course earns the nod only because it's the most quietly significant & impactful of features: a small creek/dry bed that runs diagonally across the fairway of the 380 yard Par 4 second hole. To clear it at the safest point takes about a 250 yard drive; and to avoid it means playing well short, since the fairway starts sloping down (and feeding balls) towards it at about 220 yards out -- except at the extreme left side of the fairway, where its flatter but from where the approach shot-angle into the green is at its toughest. An elegantly simple and understated architectural feature on a course that is rather bereft of such features, understated or otherwise -- and so 'conspicuous'.
P

Sounds sort of similar to the opener at Old Town Club.

Robert_Ball

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2020, 08:09:28 PM »

Victoria Club of Riverside, CA. One of the few original Max Behr designs

Jeff Schley

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2020, 03:40:29 AM »

Never played there although lived in Riverside County for 7 years, I looked up the club history and Max Behr actually redesigned the original layout. https://www.victoriaclub.com/club-amenities/golf-course/

"Walter Fovarque was the course architect when a full eighteen holes was opened in 1920, and Max Behr re-designed the course in 1923. Behr’s effort was lauded by golf course architect George Thomas in his book, Golf Architecture in America. Behr’s design today is complemented by a picturesque setting amidst large Italian Stone Pines, California Peppers and large Oak trees."
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Robert_Ball

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2020, 08:46:11 PM »

Never played there although lived in Riverside County for 7 years, I looked up the club history and Max Behr actually redesigned the original layout. https://www.victoriaclub.com/club-amenities/golf-course/

"Walter Fovarque was the course architect when a full eighteen holes was opened in 1920, and Max Behr re-designed the course in 1923. Behr’s effort was lauded by golf course architect George Thomas in his book, Golf Architecture in America. Behr’s design today is complemented by a picturesque setting amidst large Italian Stone Pines, California Peppers and large Oak trees."

Here's a better history page, Jeff  https://www.victoriaclub.com/who-we-are/our-history/

Yes, Behr did a full redesign of the course but he did retain the footprint of two Fovargue holes, 5 & 6, which are now 13 & 14.

Please DM me when you plan on being back in Riverside.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back