News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Starting Wed., 4/14 - Get to know me...
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 08:48:18 AM »
Favorite thriller writer? That's a loaded question for sure! :) You know I'm one of your biggest fans, I've wielded my sadly minimal influence to push your book up the ranks at Amazon. Aside from you, my favorite is probably Robert Ferrigno.

Well, George, your standing with me just went up about 100-fold.  :)

Rob Miller

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »
As a transplanted yet vigilant 'burgher, hopefully everyone doesn't mind if I ask some hometown questions-

Best public courses in the 'burgh?

Thoughts on Santonio for a 5th rounder?

Best Stillers SB victory?

Iron City or IC Light?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 12:47:03 PM »
Do you ever plan to make the trek to Monterrey?  :)
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 01:03:44 PM »
One of the aspects that make this site so powerful is because of people like George. His golfing prowess is within the spectrum that proves one needn't score well to be a great playing companion and have valid opinions on GCA. His views on courses should be heeded by every level of architect because he is more similar in skill, to the majority who tee it up. When George does get the time, he will improve to be a better scorer. Let's just hope his opinions on GCA stay fresh and honest as always.  ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 10:43:25 PM »
George,

I never would have guessed that you had only played Oakmont once!

- What is your favorite hole there, and why?
- What is your least favorite hole there, and why?
- What is your favourite public access facility in the Pittsburgh area and what does it offer to fans of GCA?
- Is Ben Roethlisberger the Tiger Woods of football?  Are you (still) a fan of his?

EDIT: Just saw qualifier number one as well ;)  Feel free to avoid the Big Ben question (and you've kind of answered it anyway)

That was intentional, I wanted the threads to focus on the masterpiece, not the messenger.

Favorite hole is probably 12, but might be 3 as well. I love the greensite of #3 - I think it is just beyond phenomenal from about 100 yards in - and I love the journey of 12.

Don't really have a least favorite. 15 is probably the hole I've studied the least, which just means I'll have to spend some time there this summer during the women's Open.

Sentimentally, for public Burgh golf I favor my home muni, North Park GC - just a wonderful walk in the park, literally, and usually a real cast of characters. Old school routing, up and down the hills, minimal walks between holes. Outside of that, I really enjoy Quicksilver. As many have said, I think western PA is lacking in the public side in terms of solid quality. Lots of mom and pop inexpensive places for lesser golfers like me, though.

I love Ben - my brother in law and I are his two biggest fans in the Burgh. But that's strictly as a player, I have no idea what he's like as a person. I don't know if he's the jerk/idiot he appears to be, or if he just makes really lousy choices in women. I do hope he cleans up his act.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 10:51:17 PM »
George,

What's the better album, 1039 Smooth... or Kerplunk?

Green Day is playing a five-song set and you get to choose them. Which five?

Has Dave Grohl proven to be as good a songwriter as Kurt Cobain?

'Tween those two I favor Kerplunk. Nimrod is probably my favorite overall.

Nice Guys Finish Last
Chump
J.A.R.
Church on Sunday
American Idiot

Overall, I'd say yes. Tough call though. I think Kurt might have been more consistently good, but Dave might have higher highs. The Colour And The Shape might just be my all time favorite album. Tough call between Monkey Wrench and Smells Like Teen Spirit for songs that get the blood pumpin'. Dave Grohl gets my vote for coolest man alive. :) I don't know if there's anyone who is enjoying his life as much as Dave.

I've had an odd musical journey, probably too boring for anyone on here to enjoy reading about. About the only thing interesting I can say is I'm probably the most whitebread boring suburban square white guy among Green Day and Foo's many fans.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 10:53:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. The parallels to The Fountainhead are pretty clear to me, with Pete Dye as Henry Cameron and Tom Doak as Howard Roark (hope I didn't scare off Tom with that comment, trust me, it's a compliment). I can't name a Peter Keating, that wouldn't be fair, especially as I don't know too many other architects personally.

Gotta think Trump is Wynand, in so many ways. Who's Dominique? :)

Better yet - who is (was) Ellsworth Toohey?

I don't want to start a fistfight, so I'll pass. It's probably someone outside the golf industry, though.

I was thinking last night that Mike Keiser might be an Austin Heller of sorts.

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 11:00:31 PM »

Georgr,

Happy Birthday.

Did you talk to Ran before you started this thread?

What nationality was Foge Fazio?

Where did Jackie Sherrel first meet Bill Fralic?

What do you think of Cruden Bay?

Will this thread go as long as GTK Mike Young?

Is Ben Roethlesberger hard to spell?

What's your favorite scene from THE FISH THAT SAVED PITTSBURGH?

Why can't the Panthers make a final four?

Which Pirate catcher had a gap between his two front teeth big enough for a match box car?

Pops,Clemente,Hebner,taveras,Parker,Doc.....What ever happened to the good ol days?

Thanks for playing.....Anthony

Thanks.

Nope.

I think EYEtalian. I credit him with killing Pitt Football for about 20 years, till Walt Harris came on board. Foge was a great guy but a terrible head coach.

Don't know, maybe Penn Hills HS? I got lost coming home from a football game there once.

Cruden Bay looks like lots of fun, my kind of course for sure. Hopefully they'll let me leave the country someday.

Can't imagine.

Not really, once you've seen it a few thousand times.

Can't remember the movie that well, it's been too long and my brain been slipping up in ways that make me think I have early onset Alzheimer's.

I feel cursed when it comes to Pitt hoops. If a team with Charles Smith, Jerome Lane, Rod Brookin, Sean Miller and Jason Matthews can't make the Final Four, you start to wonder if any can. I will say, if Blair had stuck around, we would've killed EVERYONE this year. :)

Don't know, would have to guess Manny, though come to think of it, I think the vastly underrated Tony Pena had a pretty good gap.

Money.

Thanks.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »
George - please answer KBM's question, i.e. 1) Should Jackie Smith be investigated for purposely dropping the Staubach pass in the Super Bowl? I have been wanting to know that for years! (Also, did the ref who called NOT nothing at all, nor even defensive pass intereference, but actually OFFENSIVE INTEREFERENCE, did that ref retire to the witness protection programme?).  

Hope to tee it up with you one day soon.
Best
Peter

George Pazin

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 11:06:07 PM »
George

This series has been great and I appreciate all your effort in making it happen!

Are the Pens one and done?  The Pens didn't finish like they did last year and it seems to me their defense is not what it was last year with the loss of Scuderi (I like this guy a lot and wish the Wings could have afforded him) and Gill.  I know they picked up Leopold in a bit of a flyer deal to see what comes of this yet unproven man.  Is this enough to keep the barbarians at the gate?  

Ciao

My pleasure, hope you'll join the fun one day.

Certainly isn't off to a promising start!

I will say, I don't think the defense or the chemistry are quite there right now, and I'm not really a believer that you can find that sort of thing quickly. I think they're too young to say they might be done, however. The talent is just so young - Sid, Gino, Flower, Jordy - depends on if they can keep them together and find a few Scuderi types to fill in the gaps.

But damn last year was fun. I've gotten soft in my old age, I'm more than happy to spread out the success. I used to be greedier. The loss to the Islanders in 93 was just brutal. That Pens team should've won a few more for sure.

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 11:12:21 PM »
Patience, young Peter...

I think George is one of the all time great contributers to this site. We met briefly at Hidden Creek, and I wished I had time to meet him this past year at the Pitt-Cincy game. Maybe someday.

1) Should Jackie Smith be investigated for purposely dropping the Staubach pass in the Super Bowl?

2) If you do everything else properly on a golf course, shouldn't you be allowed to wear t-shirt and jeans?

3) Is it possible to like Green Day and Bob Dylan? I have this problem with my kids, just wondering if it will not work.

Jackie should be in the Hall...and he is. Runner up for MVP of that amazing game.

I have no problem with t shirt and jeans, nor most conventional etiquette issues many on here have. I think they're mostly anachronisms. I think many can look better in t shirts and jeans than a lot of the golf shirt and dress pants one sees out there.

I sure can't... :) Actually, one of the everlasting memories of the RnR HOF in Cleveland for me was seeing a documentary from the 60s where Dylan actually sang in a manner even I could understand.

Far and away the coolest thing at the RNRHOF: A crayon drawing from Jim Morrison, age 7, saying "Have a Cool Yule and a Frantic First" - some people are just born with it. Juxtaposed was a letter from the Florida police to Jim's dad, a well known Navy admiral, expressing dismay that such a man could have such a son...Interesting times for sure.

George Pazin

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »
Favorite thriller writer? That's a loaded question for sure! :) You know I'm one of your biggest fans, I've wielded my sadly minimal influence to push your book up the ranks at Amazon. Aside from you, my favorite is probably Robert Ferrigno.

Glad to hear that. I sent Mr. Ferrigno an email after reading one of his books - the title escapes me, the main character was named Val - and he kind of responded. Didn't really address my point, but thanked me for contacting him and suggested I pick up his new book, Prayers For The Assassin. I had already read it. :)

For those that haven't read Rick Shefchick's books, first, shame on you! Support your fellow gca'ers! But seriously, you should read at least Amen Corner, it is a terrific and fun golf thriller. I'm not sure, but I think one of the pros was modeled physically after me.

Well, me or Villegas, we're almost twins.

Mark_F

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »
So, George... tell me about Kettlebells.

You use them, obviously?

George Pazin

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »
As a transplanted yet vigilant 'burgher, hopefully everyone doesn't mind if I ask some hometown questions-

Best public courses in the 'burgh?

Thoughts on Santonio for a 5th rounder?

Best Stillers SB victory?

Iron City or IC Light?

As I said earlier, I like North Park Golf Course for its wonderful simplicity - 1930s WPA minimalism at its finest! - and Quicksilver for its challenge. The biggest "Avoid This" would be Olde Stonewall, a contender for most overpriced course in America, imho. My knowledge base is pretty pathetic overall, though, if you want a real answer, ask JohnV - he's smarter and more experienced than I.

Tone for a 5th absolutely kills me. I've been a big fan of his since he caught a TD against the Gints his rookie year, going across the middle, taking the hit and hanging on for the touch. He is amazingly talented, just needs to get his head on straight. Hopefully he won't hang out with Plax when he gets out...

SB XIII is still the best ever to me. Two teams just loaded with HOFers (I've never looked, but I wonder if this game didn't have the most HOFers of any game ever - and there should be at least a few more from those Stiller dynasty teams) and of course the good guys won in a terrific shootout.

IC Light - regular Iron just doesn't work for me. IC Light is kinda like mildly flavored water, but that's not always bad.

Give me a Guinness, in general, though. That's my beer of choice, partly because it's terrific, and partly because it was the beer of choice of a good friend who passed way too early, only 32. He had cancer and seeing him the last day in the hospital was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Every time I see those bubbles cascade down I think of him. He left a 5 month pregnant wife and a 3 year old behind, and for those who think beating cancer is all about attitude, trust me when I say no one had a bigger will to live than him. Sometimes it's just your time.

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 11:28:31 PM »
Do you ever plan to make the trek to Monterrey?  :)

They'll probably change the spelling before I make it out. :) Thanks for the reminder, I laugh every time I see it spelled that way, even when it's the real one.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 11:29:58 PM »
Okay George-

Kettlebells,

Have you mastered the heavy KB snatch?

Are your KB in pood or LB?

Favorite single KB workout/routine?

Math

Do you ever walk away from your businesses finances and wonder what was the point of 400(possibly 300) level math

Music

You get a single 2 hour set to see, can be any band(or bands), who is it, and if multiple what is the split?

Enjoying the thread, and putting big ben above Peyton Manning is borderline blasphemous.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:34:46 PM by Chris Flamion »

George Pazin

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 11:32:37 PM »
George - please answer KBM's question, i.e. 1) Should Jackie Smith be investigated for purposely dropping the Staubach pass in the Super Bowl? I have been wanting to know that for years! (Also, did the ref who called NOT nothing at all, nor even defensive pass intereference, but actually OFFENSIVE INTEREFERENCE, did that ref retire to the witness protection programme?).  

Hope to tee it up with you one day soon.
Best
Peter

I'm a big fan of Jackie's. :)

Not sure on the offensive pass interference - are you referring to the call in Super Bowl XL? If so, you're arguing with the wrong man on that one. I've watched that called too many times against Stiller receivers to allow a no call there. Besides, lost in all the whining about the calls in that game was the fact that the Stillers dominated in spite of Cowher's fear-driven game plan. The Seahawks scored a friggin touchdown after a long interception return. If the Cowher who coached the Stillers to impressive wins against the Bengals, Colts (!) and Broncos (!) would have shown up, the game would have been blowout city, bay-beeeee.

Hope we meet someday soon.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 11:35:37 PM »
George, you showed your true passion for GCA and golf when you were about the only subscriber to the early attempt to capitalize a dream golf course at Barnbougle Dunes.  I was so very impressed at your valiant effort to follow a dream.  Alas, that scenario was not to be, but it wasn't because a very enthusiastic guy like you didn't try.  But, we are all about 10 years older now.  And, you've become a Dad and all that responsiblity keeps draining the natural inclination to pursue a dream like you obviously had about a magical golf course on the other side of the world.

My question is:  Do you foresee a time in the future (maybe after raising that youngster) where you might be enthralled and excited enough about a project like the first version of Barnbougle to give it another whorl - maybed something closer to the northern hemisphere?  ;) ::) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

George Pazin

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 11:50:19 PM »
Just typed in a long post about kettlebells, only to lose it 'cause I'm using my wife's annoying laptop. I usually post at work, but I couldn't log on to the site today - thought maybe I had gotten banned after starting my thread... :)

I'll re-do the kettlebell stuff tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words, Dick. I will answer your hypothetical more in depth tomorrow, for now I can say, I sure as hell hope so. :)

Thoughts for the night, before I sign off:

I really miss the following posters, wish they'd come back in some form:

Tommy Naccarato
Geoff Childs
Brad Miller
Noel Freeman
Bill Vostinak
Paul Daley
Greg Ramsay
Rich Goodale
Darren Kilfara
Brad Klein
Gil Hanse
Mike Devries

There's probably a bunch more, can't think of them off the top of my head. And I know a few of those guys are still active, but it'd be nice if they were more active.

One last quickie: For those who don't know, my name is pronounced like Corey Pavin's, but with a zzzzzzzzz. :)

Good night everyone, thanks for indulging me again, talk to you tomorrow.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to mention both Wayne Morrison and David Moriarty on the list of people I miss. I know there is no love lost between the two, but I consider both friends and have always been flummoxed as to the nature of their disagreement. Very sad.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:39:27 AM by George Pazin »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »
 :)

Peter
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:43:07 AM by PPallotta »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2010, 08:18:34 AM »
George,

Is the series done?

If not, who's next?

jonathan_becker

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2010, 09:02:33 AM »
Hi George,

Another Browns fan here   ;D

1. Have you ever played Fox Chapel?

2. Can you prove to me that Santonio Holmes had both feet down vs the Cardinals in the Steelers last SB win?  ??? ::) I know what the ruling on the field was, but I firmly believe that the toe of his one foot was caught on his other foot's toe cleat.  His toe was probably less than an inch off the ground, but that's an incomplete pass!! The part that amazes me the most is that AZ didn't raise more of a fuss.  Even some of the announcers brought up that point.

Another note, as far as I'm concerned, there is no Browns vs Steelers rivalry.  Domination from one team ends the rivalry.  However, it was nice the see the Browns crush Ben in the final game last year.

Oh....and "Send it in Jerome!!" might be my favorite college basketball call of all time.  I'll never get sick of watching that highlight.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2010, 09:05:32 AM »

Have you bought a set of clubs for your son?
Do you take him to play?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »

Glad to hear that. I sent Mr. Ferrigno an email after reading one of his books - the title escapes me, the main character was named Val - and he kind of responded. Didn't really address my point, but thanked me for contacting him and suggested I pick up his new book, Prayers For The Assassin. I had already read it. :)

For those that haven't read Rick Shefchik's books, first, shame on you! Support your fellow gca'ers! But seriously, you should read at least Amen Corner, it is a terrific and fun golf thriller. I'm not sure, but I think one of the pros was modeled physically after me.

Well, me or Villegas, we're almost twins.
George, this is a very strange coincidence: There's a scene in my next novel ["Frozen Tundra," North Star Press, to be published June 1] in which Sam Skarda and a former girlfriend are being held at gunpoint by a jealous ex-husband, driving in a car across the winter wastelands of Wisconsin, and Sam asks the guy if he can play some music. He puts on "The Color and the Shape," and the song "Everlong." I had no idea you were a big Foo Fighters/Dave Grohl fan, but when you read it, you'll think it was written for you. Maybe it was.

It was also written for Packers fans, Sam Skarda fans, football fans and thriller fans. And I thank you, George, for your unfailing support.

Rick
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

George Pazin

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »
George,

Is the series done?

If not, who's next?

Not by a long shot. I believe Alex Miller will be next - a young strappin' lad is a good ironic follow up to me. :) I have several people who are interested but weren't available at the time who should be soon.

I have some t shirt printing to jam through, I'll get some answers up in a bit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back