News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

One of the greatest architectural features in golf ?
« on: March 11, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »
Rae's Creek ?

Is there a better feature, a feature that's in such close proximity to the golfer for so many holes, at so many different approach angles ?

A feature that so dramatically influences play and the outcome of a round or tournament.

Taking a liberal view with respect to the extent that Rae's Creek affects play, holes # 16, 15, 13, 12 and # 11 are all dramatically impacted by its presence.

Analyze the variety of shots that have to interface with Rae's Creek, from all sorts of lies, angles and elevations.

It has to be one of the top 10 architectural features in the world.

And, you can't avoid it, you have to interface with it on every hole listed.

Is it the best of all architectural features ?

Is the routing and its use of Rae's Creek not brilliant ?

Is it possible to imagine a better use ?

What other feature comes close to having the same INTIMATE impact on so many holes ?

PCCraig

Re: One of the greatest architectural features in golf ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:25:52 PM »
Patrick,

I don't think Rae's Creek is fundamentally different than any other creek. What makes Rae's Creek so special is the way Mac and Jones routed ANGC's holes around the creek to create the strategy we see today.

Other than the hilly nature of the land and the creek, what else could be considered defining features of the property? They most likely set out to use it as often as possible much like Raynor set out to use the ravines at Shoreacres to their greatest extent (as just one example).
H.P.S.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »
Pat,

And yet they it took other eyes and a number of years later for the 16th to be remade using this water feature, which was also remade allowing for a pond, to fully bring out the potential of the site...

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »
Pat,

And yet they it took other eyes and a number of years later for the 16th to be remade using this water feature, which was also remade allowing for a pond, to fully bring out the potential of the site...

From the pictures I've seen, I actually think the hole was just as strong and looked better with the rugged front and creek running though 16. Assuming the green contours are similar if not the same, how it damning up the creek to make a lake more in line with modern style isn't a 1000% improvement in my book. On a side note, when was the last time you saw someone hit their tee ball into the lake while in contention on Sunday?
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »
"On a side note, when was the last time you saw someone hit their tee ball into the lake while in contention on Sunday?"

Corey Pavin in '86; Norman in '96.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:05:20 PM »
"On a side note, when was the last time you saw someone hit their tee ball into the lake while in contention on Sunday?"

Corey Pavin in '86; Norman in '96.

Trevor Immelman in 2008, he went on to win after making a double bogey.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:19 PM »
Rae's Creek ?

Is there a better feature, a feature that's in such close proximity to the golfer for so many holes, at so many different approach angles ?

A feature that so dramatically influences play and the outcome of a round or tournament.

Taking a liberal view with respect to the extent that Rae's Creek affects play, holes # 16, 15, 13, 12 and # 11 are all dramatically impacted by its presence.

Analyze the variety of shots that have to interface with Rae's Creek, from all sorts of lies, angles and elevations.

It has to be one of the top 10 architectural features in the world.

And, you can't avoid it, you have to interface with it on every hole listed.

Is it the best of all architectural features ?

Is the routing and its use of Rae's Creek not brilliant ?

Is it possible to imagine a better use ?

What other feature comes close to having the same INTIMATE impact on so many holes ?

The Pacific Ocean at Pebble Beach?

The immense sand dunes at Royal St George or Royal County Down?

It's probably not unexpected that the best golf courses make the best use of dramatic features.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »
Pat,

The creek was dammed to create the pond on #11 as well. 

I love the use of the creek and how it flows with the routing of the holes. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 08:28:23 PM »
Pat,

Mark, I've never been there.   :'(   Where does the creek originate, what hole does it start at, and how does it flow through the routing?  I guess #12 is the bottom of the course.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:48:43 PM »
Bill McBride,

While the Pacific is terrific architectural feature, it's predominantly a flanking feature, without the variety in angles and play.

On the original routing at PBGC only # 8 has the potential to require a carry.

The diversity, in terms of interfacing with the feature, is much, much greater at ANGC.

Phil, the number of times a ball fails to clear Rae's Creek, or rolls back into Rae's Creek on # 12, 13, 15 and # 16, isn't as infrequently as you indicate

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »
I would like to ask for permission to revise and extend my remarks as necessary. :)

Raes Creek flows into the property in front of the 12th green, which should be the low point as well as farthest point from the clubhouse, and then near the 11th green, then it leaves the property and crosses the 8th hole at neighboring Augusta Country Club.  I believe the creek on 13, 15 and 16 are/were technically tributaries of Raes Creek.  

Bill-

You need to come to Augusta soon!

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
Pat,

Mark, I've never been there.   :'(   Where does the creek originate, what hole does it start at, and how does it flow through the routing?  I guess #12 is the bottom of the course.

Mark is correct,
it enters on #13 tee/12 green-our "summer entrance"
The creek used to flow through my neighborhood as a kid quite a ways upstream
the others are tributaries
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:57:29 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:00:56 PM »
So 3 people hit into the pond in front of 16 while in contention on Sunday in the Masters in the past 30 years or so...

Can someone explain to me how turning Rae's Creek into a pond in front of 16 made the hole better? Just curious.
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:04:49 PM »
So 3 people hit into the pond in front of 16 while in contention on Sunday in the Masters in the past 30 years or so...

Can someone explain to me how turning Rae's Creek into a pond in front of 16 made the hole better? Just curious.

I preferred the look of the old hole
While it could be argued that it was simialr in length to 12, I would say the current one plays similar to 6.
But the three shelves do provide good variety in length and angle
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 09:05:48 PM »
Bill McBride,

While the Pacific is terrific architectural feature, it's predominantly a flanking feature, without the variety in angles and play.

On the original routing at PBGC only # 8 has the potential to require a carry.

The diversity, in terms of interfacing with the feature, is much, much greater at ANGC.

Not surprising you'd say that!

One may not have to carry the ocean other than at #8, but it is distinctly in play on every hole along the ocean, either because of proximity (#4, #5, #6, #7, #17, #18) or because of the slope that can take a slightly loose shot to perdition (#9 and #10).

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »

How about all the golfers who hit it into Rae's Creek in the earlier rounds ?  Don't those scores count ?

I preferred the look of the old hole
While it could be argued that it was simialr in length to 12,

Agreed, that's a lock argument.
The original 16th played at 145 yards, the original 12th at 150 yards.
Why would anyone want two almost identical, short par 3 holes on the back nine, on a course that hosts a Major every year ?

I would say the current one plays similar to 6.

I don't believe that # 6 and # 16 play similarly.
With the water tight left, many a golfer, when going for a left pin, has found the bunker or the water, and with the hole coming that late in the round, finding the water usually has disastrous results.

But the three shelves do provide good variety in length and angle.

How about putting to those upper shelves ?

Or, being on the upper shelf and having to putt to the lower shelf

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 09:47:48 PM »

How about putting to those upper shelves ?

Or, being on the upper shelf and having to putt to the lower shelf[/b][/size][/color]

Or being behind the green and having to chip to a back right hole location.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 09:57:11 PM »

The burn at Carnoustie possibly because it comes late in the round as opposed the Augusta. Nive topic Pat.

Anthony

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »
Incredible that this run of great holes was originally the front nine ...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 10:05:30 PM »
You guys may think this sounds stupid, but how about the tee box as the greatest architectural feature in golf?

Used to be you drop right next to the previous green (or on it for awhile) and hit away.  But the tee box allowed the architect to determine the precise start of the next hole and align and organize all the hazards, angles, distances, etc.

So, as goofy as it sounds...I'm going with the tee box.  In fact, it was such a great breakthrough almost everyone has copied it on every hole for years and years.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:15 PM »
You guys may think this sounds stupid, but how about the tee box as the greatest architectural feature in golf?

Used to be you drop right next to the previous green (or on it for awhile) and hit away.  But the tee box allowed the architect to determine the precise start of the next hole and align and organize all the hazards, angles, distances, etc.

So, as goofy as it sounds...I'm going with the tee box.  In fact, it was such a great breakthrough almost everyone has copied it on every hole for years and years.

They are even better with a well placed ball washer. Give me something. Quirk me. Think outside of the box. A hole marker. Trash can with ants. Kool tee markers.

Anthony

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »
I agree that a creek that runs through a golf course, properly routed, could be about the most fun and exciting feature to work with.

But, who can think of more courses that make use of a meandering creek for several holes, and in varied ways from lateral to cross hazards, angles and bite-offs, etc? 

And, if you think of some other courses, I'll bet they are all older ones.  Don't modern day environmental rules with set-back distance laws and such pretty much rule out some of the creative ways that the old dead guys might use such a nice meandering creek feature in by-gone era?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 12:53:07 AM »
If not a meandering creek used along a great course routing as a great feature, I'd secondly have to go with interesting fingers of land reaching among baranca like we see in California at both Torrey and even places like Pasatiempo.  Not to forget the massive fingers of land perched high above as seen at Cape Kidnappers. 

Back east we might find an interesting land terrain with what we'd call gullies or glens separating corridors where we route fairways, but the western land terrain seems to have more interesting and dramaticly sculpted runs of scrapes and gullies for golf course routing challenges and rewards.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:55:29 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 03:05:10 AM »
I think it would be a better feature if you could still have a chance of playing out of it at the 13th. The strategy for that hole is not as interesting as before.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 07:11:12 AM »
Pat Mucci,

You have me confused with someone else. You commented, "Phil, the number of times a ball fails to clear Rae's Creek, or rolls back into Rae's Creek on # 12, 13, 15 and # 16, isn't as infrequently as you indicate..."

How do you get any of that out of what I wrote? "And yet they it took other eyes and a number of years later for the 16th to be remade using this water feature, which was also remade allowing for a pond, to fully bring out the potential of the site..."

Pat Craig, I think you need to take another look at the different versions of the 16th as the holes are very different. Actually though, and I understand that your opinion is that the first iteration of the hole is at least equal to today's, my point is a simple one. How did Jones & Mackenzie miss this hole design? It seems so very natural to the spot (despite the changing of Rae's creek to manage it) and it certainly is a hole that has seen numerous defining moments happen on it in the history of major championship golf. In missing it they also missed how the creek could be put to maximum advantage and so Pat M's premise about Rae's creek being one of the greatest architectural features in golf must be questioned. NOT because it isn't today, but rather because it obviously wasn't when originally used in the design for, if it was, why was it changed?

So, for me the question should really be WHICH VERSION of the use of Rae's Creek is the better use as an architectural feature?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back