News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

redanman

Re: Defending Slow Play
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2002, 05:34:09 AM »
Every time I see the name of this thread pop up all I can think of is

.......there is no!........(Defending slow play)  ;D

Anyway, I find it amazing that Sergio never gets an out of position warning.  Is he a fast walker a la Nicklaus?  (I've never seen him play).  Jack probably intrtoduced us all to sssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwww methodical analytical play, but was one hell of a fast walker.

I know that if I were to play a player who regrips like Sergio one of two things would happen

-I would lose about 18 and 17 in an 18 hole match  :) as there is no way I would maintain sanity watching that all day (Howell style)
-I would never know where my opponent's ball was because I couldn't bear to watch (McCarron style) and I might win if he couldn't find his own ball.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Paul Richards

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2002, 06:32:55 PM »
redanman:

The title is, of course, an oxymoron.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

supercomputer

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2002, 06:43:17 PM »
How can you be 18 down through 17 holes?!?  Does not compute!--Does not compute!--(explosion)

supercomputer

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2002, 06:45:11 PM »
Wait a minute!  18 down with 17 to go???  Shutting down...

Paul Richards

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2002, 01:54:40 PM »
From April's GD "Extra Holes":

49  -  seconds Sergion Garcia waggled his club before hitting
a shot on the 14th hole of the final round during the Mercedes
Championship.

25  -  waggles Garcia took before hitting that shot.

33  -  estimated minutes Garcia waggled his club during his
final round and winning one-hole playoff.  (That's more than
two full days of waggling per year.)

1   -   times during the three-hour telecast ESPN showed
Garcia's entire preshot routine.

:'( :'( :'( :'(
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2002, 03:17:03 PM »
I read recently that Sergio's father  taped his son's hands to the grip to break him of the habit. It appears to have worked.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Paul Richards

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2002, 03:40:53 PM »
Jim:

How has it worked?  

Has he sped up his routine?

Paul Richards

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2002, 12:30:06 PM »
The anti-Garcia?

from March 29th GolfWorld:

The poster boy for speeding up play

With the supposed crackdown on slow play this year, PGA Tour rules officials should use Rich Beem as their poster boy. On Sunday morning, playing as a single, Beem whisked around the course in 2 hours, 15 minutes and 46 seconds. He shot a 66, the low round of the day. Beem played so fast he ran into the mowing crews on the eighth hole, which added five minutes to his time. When he finished, the twosome of Robert Damron and Brian Gay, playing behind him, were still on the 11th hole. Beem's reward? Moving up 18 places to T-44. Overall, pace of play at the Players Championship was good, considering the course and the conditions. The average time per round was five hours.

bethpageblack75

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2002, 01:09:54 PM »
Yardage Books, measured sprinkler heads, etc.  Nobody in my group walks up to a ball and says, "hmm, this feels like a seven iron"....nope, they all have to walk around in circles and locate a yardage marker,  then walk off the distance to their ball. And then debate is the flag front, back or middle. And then debate what iron to hit.
Now, none of them has hit a green in regulation in over a season but the whole act is played out again and again and again. Does ANYBODY play be feel anymore?
By "my group" I refer to any foursome on the golf course on any random Saturday at the 90 hole facility of Bethpage. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE BATAAN DEATH MARCH WAS LIKE UNTIL SENTENCED TO BETHPAGE, maybe not Black, ON A WEEKEND.  90 Holes of golf, all backed up.  I bring along the Sunday newspaper with me.
Don't get me started on practice swings, or no, lets not go there...PRACTICE SWINGS THAT TAKE FULL DIVOTS...which usually begat, you guessed it,  ANOTHER PRACTICE SWING.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2002, 01:53:46 PM »
Bethpageblack:

You've got me thinking.  Perhaps Bethpage is the perfect place to experiment with methods to improve pace of play.

Given that the facility has several courses, they could make one a "fast play course" by doing something like the following:

1. Select the most appropriate course.
2. Announce that effective 60 days in the future fast play procedures would be implemented.
3. Access to the course would be open to all, but require some form of registration (e.g., drivers license or SS number) and a deposit of $100.
4. Access would require playing in a maximum of four hours or playing privleges would be revoked.
5. When signing up to play/teeing off, the registration number must be given.
6. When completing a round, one's registration must be given to verify the round was completed in the max four hours.
7. Players who failed to report when completing the round would lose both playing privleges and their deposit.
8. Two rangers would be dedicated to inform players where they stood (somewhere around the 5th and 14th holes).

I haven't thought about all the details, but wouldn't a multi-course facility like Bethpage be a perfect place to experiment?
Tim Weiman

Paul Richards

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2002, 01:57:44 PM »
Tim:
Very interesting concept.  I'd love to see this put into
action!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2002, 02:33:32 PM »
I think it would require Special Forces personnel or British Commandos to enforce the rules.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2002, 09:03:52 PM »
Bob Huntley:

I'm under no illusions that things would be easy.  But, I just wonder if a multi course facility like Bethpage might be able to pull it off on one of their courses.

No doubt it would take personnel to constantly reinforce proper behavior in terms of moving along.  It just seems that concentrating their efforts on one course might improve the chances of success.

I grew up being treated like a second class citizen.  I was a kid playing a course where the adults didn't think kids belonged.  The only way you were tolerated was by playing quickly.  I've never forgotten the harrassment I received from those grumpy old men.  Too bad those guys are long gone from golf in America.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back