News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bosela

Re: Where My Lefties At?
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »
How many of our Canadian posters are lefty? A lot of hockey players that shoot lefty pick up the game by playing lefty in golf...

Very true - I'm Canadian, a natural lefty myself and play both hockey and baseball that way.  When I took up golf, my father switched me to a righty to take advantage of the better (and more available) equipment.

It's certainly helped in little side games where we play one or two holes from the opposite side, as I can play a bit left handed as a result.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2010, 12:55:21 PM »
How many of our Canadian posters are lefty? A lot of hockey players that shoot lefty pick up the game by playing lefty in golf...

I'm Canadian and left handed but play golf right

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »
Sean,
Last time Laura and I played Highlands Links were were paired with 2 lefties.  That meant I was the odd rightie in our foursome.  The foursome ahead of us had 3 lefties too.

I don't think the anti-left sentiment is as bad in Canada due to hockey.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »

Michael,
From the looks of him I'd be willing to wager that the wee one has a rather fat wallet from all his golf winnings.  ;D

Scott,
Was that the 17th where MCirba is trying the anti-hook swing?  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »
Scott,
Was that the 17th where MCirba is trying the anti-hook swing?  ;)

No, that was the 6th, into the wind.  That would be a feat, though, to hit punch driver on the par 3 17th over the pond and getting it to stop.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2010, 09:34:20 PM »
Also a lefty. 

Father, Mother, Brother and Sister all left handed at most pursuits.

write left handed, all stick/bat sports left handed.  Throw right handed, Kick right footed (coincidentally both more poorly than I write and hit).

Right handed cricketers are forever going on about how much easier it must be to bat left handed (a fallacy - we're just better at it  ;D ).  Left handed batsmen must cope with the ball moving away from them earlier and more often than right handers and are thus better at doing so is my theory..

It has always been considered an advantage to be a left footed kick in Aussie Rules due to a tacklers instinct for players to move to get set for the right foot. Left footers for some reason seem to be very left footed (i.e the right foot is just to stand on) and very good kicks aesthetically and practically. 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »
Scott,
Looked like a hybrid.  :-[
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »
Driving a stake through Kalen's heart. 18th tee, Wine Valley Golf Club, Walla Walla, WA

My fan club helped make it possible. Notice the SDSM&T hats. Turboe and I both played varsity basketball there and eventually became members of this site.

Photos courtesy of Anthony Gray, ADD, DMD

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »
Tony Muldoon, GCA.com's tallest Lefty... with Jim Goby, GCA.com's shortest Righty!!!

Are you sure about Tony? Lynn Schackelford is 6' 7" which means he tops 2 metres.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2010, 11:23:46 PM »
From the W&L Athletics website...

I am delighted at the number of GCA lefties.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Garland Bayley

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2010, 11:42:17 PM »
My bud Mike Cirba at the 11th MEast:

You know Mike, if you would wear a hat, you wouldn't sunburn your scalp so bad.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2010, 12:14:34 AM »
Scott,
Looked like a hybrid.  :-[

He might have been going mildly retro that day, perhaps a 975D or something.  His irons, though...I seem to recall his irons might have been wearing nehru jackets and bellbottoms on them.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2010, 12:37:10 AM »
Tony Muldoon, GCA.com's tallest Lefty... with Jim Goby, GCA.com's shortest Righty!!!

Are you sure about Tony? Lynn Schackelford is 6' 7" which means he tops 2 metres.

We'll recognize Lynn as the US record holder... however, Tony retains the European title!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Trey Kemp

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2010, 10:37:45 AM »
Another Lefty!

twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

jonathan_becker

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
T Kemp,

You've gotta show some game with an upcoming shot like that!

What was the end result? 

Trey Kemp

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2010, 11:06:22 AM »
Jonathan,

I actually hit a good shot, but then went on to miss my putt from about 6-8 feet.  Typical for me, hit a good shot and then miss the putt.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

jonathan_becker

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2010, 11:12:59 AM »
Jonathan,

I actually hit a good shot, but then went on to miss my putt from about 6-8 feet.  Typical for me, hit a good shot and then miss the putt.

Don't feel bad.  I've been doing that my entire golfing life.  ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2010, 11:18:27 AM »
Isn't Scott Weersing a 6'7" lefty also?

EDIT: Sorry, it was Scott's dad.

No the tallest of the group is my dad. He is 6 feet, 7 inches tall and plays left handed.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:50:36 AM by Garland Bayley »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »

We'll recognize Lynn as the US record holder... however, Tony retains the European title!

Sean was also at the Alwoodley Buda where the no of lefties was commented on.

Mike you're in for a big surprise in May. :o
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2010, 06:38:48 PM »
How many of us can truly play golf from either side of the ball. ???

I played 5 holes left handed about 3 months ago and shot 4 over after about half an hour on the range. I can play snooker or pool with either hand.

Sean_A

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2010, 04:04:31 AM »

Sean

I am not a Canuck, but perhaps I should be because my left-right situation is about as looney as your Loonie.  I am a dedicated righty, but I play hockey left-handed - right handed never seemed right to me.  I bat right, but can switch to the other side of the plate and did a lot when I played softball.  I have tried playing golf on the goofy side, but it just doesn't work.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:26:33 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2010, 04:13:57 AM »
The slightly sinister Mr Arble?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Boon

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2010, 07:26:44 AM »
I hope you don't mind a right handed guy contributing to this thread, but crikey, I cant believe how many of you guys out there face the wrong way?  ;D

I seem to recall that Hogan was left handed but could only get right handed clubs as a kid? Also something about the strong left side, pulling down from the top helped him hit it further? And isn't Michelson right handed but just mirrored his dad as a kid?

The whole left / right thing is very odd in sport. There are loads of cricketers who bowl right handed but bat left handed (Stuart Broad and Jimmy A for example). I also find it odd how few footballers (soccer players that is) have a decent left foot? I couldn't get in our junior team as a kid so I spent ages praticing with my left foot and before I knew it I was in the team on the left side. My left is probably better than my right these days. If only some of the current England team had done the same!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ian Andrew

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »

I shoot left for both sports.

I spent the last couple of days with a number of architects commenting on my "hockey swing." :)

Mike Cirba

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:35 AM »
Man, how much abuse can I take on one thread!?   ::) ;D

Jim Kennedy,

Yes, that is/was my Titleist 975D driver...I've since upgraded to a ham on a stick.

My irons remain in bell bottoms and smoke a lot of weed, which at least accounts for their inexplicable inconsistency.

As far as the "don't hook it" swing, you don't want to see where it goes when I release the club.  ;)

Garland,

I frickin' hate wearing hats, which is a bad combo with a bald head, but can't stand the Ron Howard alternative where he should just get his baseball cap surgically attached already.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back