News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Dear

Bellingham Golf and Country Club
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:26:36 AM »
I'm working on a history of Bellingham Golf and Country Club in Bellingham, WA and am having a bit of trouble working out who the designer was. The club history says John Ball, the same man that designed Seattle GC, Presidio, Town and Country in Minneapolis and a few others. I am trying to confirm whether or not this is the same John Ball that won the Open Championship in 1890 and eight British Amateur Championships. That John Ball came from Hoylake, of course, so it is unlikely it is he that designed the course at Bellingham, but I can't be sure. I have asked Tom Doak, John Harbottle, Martin Ebert, the Secretary at Royal Liverpool, Adam Lawrence at 'Golf Course Architecture' Magazine, and Michael Riste at the BC Golf Museum. While everyone has shed a little more light on the subject, no one is sure whether the Bellingham John Ball is the Hoylake John Ball. Can anyone help?
Tony

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Bellingham Golf and Country Club
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:39:13 AM »
Hi Tony.

I can't be 100% sure, but knowing a bit about John Ball - the champion golfer from Hoylake - I find it VERY HIGHLY UNLIKELY that he was the originally designer of Bellingham, in Washington state.

I'm sure there have been many Anglo-men throughout history called John Ball as well.

I'm sure this doesn't help, but...  :)
jeffmingay.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »
If you could find an article in newspaper archives about the opening of the course, I suspect it would be quite obvious it was that John Ball, if indeed it was. I suspect though that since he did two in the PNW, it might more likely be someone local.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:23:59 PM »
Jeff,

Any chance Vernon Macan and John Ball were buddies so that John would come and visit? ;) I don't even know if they were contemporary enough or not. However, maybe you should get Ran to add Macan to his architecture time line since Ran has Cal Club in his courses by country.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 05:05:40 PM »
Macan designed Seattle GC...

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »
Jordan,

Macan isn't the original designer of Seattle Golf Club; though, he did do some remodel work there over his career.
jeffmingay.com

Tony Dear

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »
Jordan,
I always assumed Macan had designed Seattle GC too, but it turns out it was this guy John Ball, along with Robert Johnstone who worked with Macan on Inglewood CC, and also designed Rainier CC. I've received a few more emails today from those I contacted and can say with about 97% certainty it wasn't John Hoylake Ball that worked on Bellingham GCC, but John Minneapolis Ball.

How are you by the way Jordan? Long time no contact. I haven't been on the site for a year or more because we had another baby, so I lost all spare time for fun things like this.

And thanks for the advice with regards the newspaper column Garland. I did a bit of Googling and found one announcing the addition of the second nine in 1925, but nothing about the original nine.
Tony
Tony

Cory Brown

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:50:11 PM »
Tony,

It's great that you're doing a club history for Bellingham, the club sorely needed a new one.  I was the Assistant Golf Course Superintendent there from 2000-05, and had the opportunity to read the old history.  Unfortunately the copy of the old book they had was tucked away in a corner of the old clubhouse collecting dust, and reading it was like reading something from the Da Vinci Code.  It wasn't exactly something you could take home with you.  I always wish I would have spent a little more time reading it, but at the time I only had a passing interest in club histories.  I still feel certain that A.V. Macan must have done some work there, or possibly someone who had learned from Macan, but I am probably wrong.  The original 9 at Bellingham opened in 1912 and Macan hadn't even designed Colwood until 1913.  It's a shame there isn't more historical information about early golf in the Pacific Northwest. 

Good luck with the book.

Tony Dear

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:23:03 PM »
Thanks Cory. I should have pointed out earlier, it's not a book I'm writing, just an article. Mind you, if the club ever wanted its history updated, I'd certainly love to do it. Where are you working now?
Tony

Dale Jackson

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:09:37 AM »
Tony, I sent you a private message but it appears to not have gotten through.  I am writing the 100 year history for Royal Colwood and would like to compare notes, drop me an email if you like.

Re Macan:  I am sure Mike Riste would have mentioned this when you talked with him but Macan claimed to have worked on every course in the Pacific Northwest except (I think) Portalnd - it might have been Waverley.  I would be interested to know if there is evidence he worked at Bellingham.

Re Seattle GC:  I believe their scorecard lists 4, perhaps 5 renovations over the years, including Macan.  The last reno was Palmer/Seay.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Cory Brown

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 01:16:48 AM »
I'm currently at Overlake Golf and Country Club.  If you need any help with your article I would be happy to help in any way possible or point you to someone else who could.  If I might ask, how did you end up writing an article about Bellingham?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:19:04 AM by Cory Brown »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 02:23:14 AM »
Tony,

I'm gonna look up some stuff at Seattle, I had been told Macan designed it but will look further into that this week.

I've been well, congrats on your new addition.  Perhaps we can get a game or grab a bite sometime now that I am permanently on the west side.

Cory,

How is Overlake doing?

Is Pat Howard still there?  What about Darcie, or her dad Mr. Richmond?  I haven't heard from her since she went to UW playing golf, with the Evans.

It's been too long since I've been over there, miss that place.  I remember the good old summer days doing loops of 4-7, 1-3, and 8-9 in random order based on where the members were.  Pat said he once played a par-4 he made up beginning from 5 tee to 14 green.  Hybrid, hybrid was the play and I believe Pat made 4 once.  Crazy hole to even try.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 07:57:40 AM »
With the exception of Portland Golf Club, I think I have been employed by every major club in the north west, including Tacoma Golf and Country Club, Waverly Golf and Country Club, Riverside Golf and Country Club, Oswego Golf Club, Point Grey Golf Club, Vancouver Golf and Country Club, Capilano Golf and Country Club and conditioned the Seattle Golf Club for the National Amateur in 1952 where I built several new greens.

Vernon Macan, in a letter dated May 21st, 1960.
jeffmingay.com

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 08:03:58 PM »
Tony,

I know this is just a small thing, but the ex-journalist in me makes me point it out.

Town & Country Club in Minnesota is actually in St. Paul, not Minneapolis.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back