News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

john_stiles

Re: A Compilation of Routing Maps, Plans and Architectural Drawings
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2010, 11:26:56 PM »
This is the golf course plan for Holston Hills designed by Ross.  The plan was drawn by WI Johnson as indicated by name in lower left hand corner.

This image was created from an old dirty blueprint which was scanned and cleaned up.   The scanned image was enlarged to about 3 by 5 feet as shown below, and is framed out to about 4 by 6 feet, and is hung above the fireplace in the clubhouse ballroom.

The old plan shows the current routing, and green locations, a few new tees being added through the years.

john_stiles

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2010, 08:57:08 PM »
Below is the routing map for Lookout Mountain designed by Raynor.  The plan was drawn by a local Chattanooga company. Two foot contours are marked on the drawing.

The plan shows the original hole sequence with the location of the clubhouse on the edge of the brow (a sheer 1000 foot precipice) behind the current no. 2 green.

So the original first would be the current 3rd.    The routing remains intact, except due to the move of clubhouse location, the present first became a par 4,  instead of the par 5 as planned for original 17th.     The present clubhouse is between the 16th hole and 17th tee in this 1926 plan.  

You can see the Short and the Biarritz, and the Alps.

The map has this nice coloring of an old brown, and darker brown for the bunkers,  and a dark green.

Oh, and the club was originally named  Fairyland as you can see in the photo.  The area roads up on the mountain are named  Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, etc.   The locals pronounce the name  as   'fair-land' to this day (the y is silent).  The story goes that the wonderful supporter of all things Chattanooga and amateur golf,   Mr. Jack Lupton played in a member guest up at a fancy eastern club.  One member remarked it was nice they had a club for everyone in Chattanooga, or some such.   The club president Mr Lupton changed the name to  Lookout Mountain. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:07:22 PM by john_stiles »

Ben Sims

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »
Below is the routing map for Lookout Mountain designed by Raynor.  

John,

Thanks for this.  One of the assistant pros at Lookout gave us--Dr. Gray and I--a poster of the original plan.  It was pretty fun comparing it to some of the drawings in the Men's Grille.

Man what a cool place, and what a great experience.

Ed Oden

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2010, 11:44:38 PM »
Thanks John!  I have updated the index to reflect your contributions.

And many thanks to Niall Carlton for sending me the following:

Aberfoyle Golf Club 1891

Lanark Golf Club 1891

Machrie Golf Links 1891

Bearsden Golf Club 1891

Cathkin Braes Golf Club 1891

Eastwood Golf Course 1891

Irvine Golf Club 1892

Kilmalcolm Golf Club 1892

Moray Golf Club 1892

Prestwick at St. Nicholas 1892

Sandwich Golf Links 1892
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:02:54 AM by Ed Oden »

Sean_A

« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2010, 02:43:00 AM »
Braid's re-design of St Enodoc in 1907

Braid's 1937 re-design.  

I would say it is likely that #s 1, 8, 10, 11, 12 &18 are not Braid holes.  With the exception of #10, the only original 19th century hole remaining, I think Braid inherited the others from the combo of Fowler(1923) and Simpson (1933).  

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:59:13 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Dan Moore

« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2010, 10:27:39 AM »
To complement the first two Skokie maps previously posted here are the Ross and Langford versions.  Very interesting to compare the Bendelow to the Ross. 

Bendelow

Ross

Langford Moreau

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Ed Oden

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2010, 10:54:37 PM »
Thanks Dan!  The index has been updated accordingly.

Plus, more from Niall Carlton's files:

Glencorse 1895

Ranfurly Castle 1897

West Kilbride 1893

Western Gailes 1897

Ed Oden

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2010, 08:07:40 PM »
Pinehurst #2, circa 1922, courtesy of Chris Buie in this thread... http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41879.35/

Ed Oden

« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2010, 08:19:31 PM »
Manoir Richelieu, courtesty of Tom Macwood in this thread... http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43509.0/

Ed Oden

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »
And more from the seemingly endless files of Niall Carlton...

Troon 1923

Royal Cinque Ports 1923

Proposed plan for a NLE Mackenzie course at the Stricken House Estate in Aberdeenshire

Buckle Golf Course

Cullen

Prestwick 1925

Moray 1894

Ron Farris

« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2010, 11:34:58 AM »
Just to add some levity to the thread - Here is a picture of a some routing work I did at a site in SD.  The wind was blowing so hard I gave up using the topo map.

Right Brain-Left Brain  - No Brain

Ed Oden

« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2010, 08:27:11 PM »
Ron, that's outstanding!  I assume Cedar Shore GC was never built.  Is that right?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2010, 04:31:52 AM »
Merion West (July 27, 1913 edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer).

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:16:13 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2010, 05:05:30 AM »
Original nine holes at Lu Lu (March 30, 1915 edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer):

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:16:31 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ed Oden

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2010, 07:37:12 PM »
Myopia Hunt Club, courtesy of Tom MacWood here... http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40810.315/

1902 map

Weeks map

Ed Oden

« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
Mark Pritchett was kind enough to send me this map of Augusta Country Club...

Christoph Meister

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2010, 05:12:49 PM »
To complement the Prestwick Plans I have enclosed a 1905 layout plan from "The Golfer's Yearbook 1905", edited by John L. Low.

Regarding continental European golf courses I have enclosed a layout plan by J.H.Taylor / Hawtree of Pallanza GC (NLE) on the shores of Lake Maggiore in Northern Italy. The course was built in 1928 and by the mid 1930's it was allready defunct. Nevertheless a nice and colourful layout plan.

Also I have enclosed a Bernhard von Limburger Layout plan for Munich GC at Strasslach from 1962 as well as one of his typical green drawings (here Green No.3 at Garlstedter Heide - Bremen Club zur Vahr).

Finally a layout plan of Colt/Morrison's Hamburg-Falkenstein dating 1935.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:54:42 AM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Ed Oden

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
Christoph, those drawings are fantastic!  Thanks for added them.  I have updated the index accordingly.

Ed

Sean_Tully

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2010, 03:05:20 AM »
Skokie early 1901 to finish it off!

and Queens Valley Emmet 1923

Tully

Tom MacWood

« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2010, 06:37:15 AM »
Christoph
Those are very interesting drawings. In Bob Cosby's essay he was very critical of JH Taylor because of his dislike of central hazards. Based on you drawing he must have gotten over that dislike later in his career. The von Limburger drawing reminds me a little bit of Simpson.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2010, 07:02:54 AM »
Tom,

The terrain at Pallanza is a completely flat and rather treeless one (& used today as a camping ground) this most probably explains the high number of bunkers in Taylor's/Hawtree layout plans. The course had some nice views onto the lake and rivers surrounding the golf course as it is in midst of a river delta.

I was also thinking about von Limburgers Green sketch yesterday while scanning it and I thougt that it reminded me of some 1926 sketches made by Colt...than I had a look at some Tom Simpson sketches and also thought the same way you did.

And of course von Limburger modeled himself on Colt, Morrison, Simpson and George Thomas when starting his career as a golf course architect during the second half of the 1920s - there is strong evidence in the archives!

Christoph
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:00:44 AM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Ed Oden

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2010, 04:24:40 PM »
Westhampton GC, courtesy of Tom MacWood in this thread... http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42325.msg944948/

Ed Oden

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2010, 05:04:38 PM »
And thanks to Sean Tully for allowing me to post some additional items from his web page.  Sean actually started this thread a few years ago ... http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,22799.0/ ...which I found while searching for enough information on Queens Valley GC to be able to update the index to this thread (I'd never heard of the course before).  Sean's old thread contains a link to his web page, which has some very cool stuff.  I'd encourage folks to poke around there if they get a chance.  In the meantime, here are a few things I found in Sean's collection:

Shinnecock 1893 - Golf in America 1895

Belmont Golf Club - 1901 Golfers Green Book

Chicago Golf Club - 1901 Golfers Green Book

Evanston King's Daughters Golf Course - 1901 Golfers Green Book

Hinsdale Golf Club - 1901 Golfers Green Book

Portmanteau Golf Course - December 1924 Golf Illustrated

Pinehurst (No2???)- December 1909 USGA Bulletin

San Francisco Golf Club - 1925 map

Does anyone know where Portmanteau GC is/was located?  Or which of the Pinehurst courses is depicted in the drawing above?  For that matter, please feel free to help me out if you see any incorrect information in the index.  There's no way I haven't made a few errors along the way.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:37:34 PM by Ed Oden »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2010, 04:07:20 AM »
Christoph
Those are very interesting drawings. In Bob Cosby's essay he was very critical of JH Taylor because of his dislike of central hazards. Based on you drawing he must have gotten over that dislike later in his career. The von Limburger drawing reminds me a little bit of Simpson.

Hawtree fils wrote a piece saying once his father and Taylor hooked up it wasn't the famous name designing the courses!
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Boon

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2010, 05:20:21 AM »
Just to add some levity to the thread - Here is a picture of a some routing work I did at a site in SD.  The wind was blowing so hard I gave up using the topo map.

Right Brain-Left Brain  - No Brain

Ron,

I love this one, thanks for posting it!

Most people can take the time to sit at a drawing board or computer and produce half decent drawings or plans, but the ability to sketch on site is in this computer age, a dying art I feel? As an architect of buildings rather than courses, I've had to sketch plans or details on unfinished walls, bits of timber, scraps of paper and the obligatory napkin, while on site, to get my ideas across. Good to see that its a skill that GCAs need also.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back