News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: A Compilation of Routing Maps, Plans and Architectural Drawings
« Reply #1225 on: February 17, 2019, 09:23:46 PM »
Charles Banks' Caracas CC, July 1928

-Courtesy of the National Park Service, Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:52:23 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1226 on: February 17, 2019, 09:32:54 PM »
Cohasse CC (Southbridge, MA) - Plan dated 1927-28

-Courtesy of the National Park Service, Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:52:41 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1227 on: February 17, 2019, 09:41:08 PM »
CC of Charleston aka Wappoo CC - Plan dated Oct. 18, 1923

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:52:54 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1228 on: February 18, 2019, 08:28:09 AM »
Linville Park / Linville GC - the Donald Ross course from a 1926 brochure created by the Linville Improvement Company. The link will take you to a map of the rest of the site, which includes about a dozen holes of the original course that was on the property. I counted a dozen or so shots that either crossed another hole or roadway on the old course.  :)   

http://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/ncmaps/id/9545/rec/25

2 clicks for big

Another version of the Linville Plan.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #1229 on: February 22, 2019, 08:15:05 AM »
From the May 20, 1937 edition of the Daily Record (Long Branch, NJ), this map of the upcoming PGA Championship at the Pittsburgh Field Club:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ed Oden

« Reply #1230 on: February 22, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
I have finally updated the index at the beginning of this thread.  My apologies for not doing so for so long, but this thread can very quickly get away from you!  Thanks to Sven for doing most of the heavy lifting on the update.  BTW, it was a painful struggle to get the website to accept the changes since the index is constantly running up against the maximum number of allowed characters.  At some point (likely soon) I may need to create a separate thread just for the index and link it to the opening posts.  Let me know what you think about that.  Carry on!

Ed

Ed Oden

« Reply #1231 on: February 22, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
Madison CC, Madison, NJ

July 11, 1930 Madison Eagle -

Sven, I noticed a reference to Madison CC while updating the index and assumed it related to Madison GC, where I grew up playing.  However, it looks to be located on essentially the same property currently occupied by Fairmount CC down the road from Madison in Chatham Township ...  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fairmount+Country+Club/@40.7378214,-74.4259401,1693m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c3a59e62375169:0x836255100d53a00c!8m2!3d40.7377134!4d-74.4236421

I thought Fairmount only dated to the early 1960s.  Does anyone know if there was another course/club at that site that predated Fairmount??
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:34:10 PM by Ed Oden »

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #1232 on: February 22, 2019, 07:12:37 PM »
I have finally updated the index at the beginning of this thread.  My apologies for not doing so for so long, but this thread can very quickly get away from you!  Thanks to Sven for doing most of the heavy lifting on the update.  BTW, it was a painful struggle to get the website to accept the changes since the index is constantly running up against the maximum number of allowed characters.  At some point (likely soon) I may need to create a separate thread just for the index and link it to the opening posts.  Let me know what you think about that.  Carry on!

Ed

Ed,

I appreciate you indexing all of these maps. I find the index very useful and would love to see it remain on the first page of this thread.  Have you thought about relocating your first few layouts to a new reply and continuing the index on the first page of this thread?  You have the first 10 replies or so. If you empty out reply 3, 4 and 5 and replace it with index and future index then we may be able to keep this index on the first page?  Just an alternative to consider.

Bret

Ed Oden

« Reply #1233 on: February 23, 2019, 07:28:48 AM »
Bret, that’s what I have been doing. It is actually a bigger pain than you might expect. The advantage to a separate thread for the index is that you can click on the link on the first page of this thread and it will open up a new window for the index thread. Personally, I think it’s easier to navigate between windows rather than having to move back and forth from the first page of this thread to the page with the post you are looking for. Since this thread shows no signs of slowing down, I’m just looking for the best long range plan to make it as functional as possible and increase the likelihood that I can keep up with the index.

All the best,

Ed

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #1234 on: February 23, 2019, 10:05:55 AM »
Ed,

I understand, you make some valid points. If creating a link to a seperate thread is easier than I am all for it.  Thanks again for putting this together.

Bret

Here is a map of the Country Club of Harrisburg from 1917, early Flynn design:

MCirba

« Reply #1235 on: February 23, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »
Bret,

That's fabulous, thanks.   I've not seen the original Flynn design prior and really need to get out there this year to see what's left.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

« Reply #1236 on: February 23, 2019, 11:09:09 AM »
Sven, I noticed a reference to Madison CC while updating the index and assumed it related to Madison GC, where I grew up playing.  However, it looks to be located on essentially the same property currently occupied by Fairmount CC down the road from Madison in Chatham Township ...  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fairmount+Country+Club/@40.7378214,-74.4259401,1693m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c3a59e62375169:0x836255100d53a00c!8m2!3d40.7377134!4d-74.4236421

I thought Fairmount only dated to the early 1960s.  Does anyone know if there was another course/club at that site that predated Fairmount??

Ed,

From old aerials in 1931 and 1957 it doesn't appear that the proposed Madison course on the site of today's Fairmount CC ever was built.   Perhaps another casualty of the Great Depression.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #1237 on: February 23, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
Thanks for including the picture of the CC of Harrisburg routing, Bret.  I've had it as part of my photo tour of the course (see link below) but was negligent to have it part of this cool thread.

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/CCofHarrisburg/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1238 on: February 26, 2019, 12:18:04 AM »
Engineers (June 1918) Daily Eagle:

A 1920 Olmsted Plan of Engineers.  Note the unbuilt 9 hole course is marked on this map.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:53:31 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1239 on: February 26, 2019, 12:27:34 AM »
Galloping Hills GC (Union, NJ) - W. Wilkinson Plan

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:53:47 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1240 on: February 26, 2019, 12:50:00 AM »
Midwick CC Water Distributing Plan

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:54:03 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1241 on: February 26, 2019, 01:11:44 AM »
Preakness Valley Municipal GC - 1931 Plan

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:54:14 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1242 on: March 06, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »

Greenbrier Resort Olmsted Plan (pretty sure the date is 1923) -

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:54:23 PM by Sven Nilsen »

BCrosby

« Reply #1243 on: March 06, 2019, 02:12:07 PM »
The Midwick Water Distribution (?) drawing holds its own as abstract art, without regard to any other function it serves.

Great stuff.

Bob

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1244 on: March 06, 2019, 08:56:45 PM »
Nile Temple CC (Seattle, WA) - 1926 Plan

The Nile Shrine course exists on this site currently, but has a very different routing.  Anyone know the story on this one?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:54:34 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1245 on: March 06, 2019, 09:10:15 PM »
A series of plans for the expansion of Seapuit to 18 holes.  Note the Stiles and Van Kleek firm name on the last plan.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:54:47 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1246 on: March 08, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »
Travis' original drawing for Misquamicut Club, courtesy of Misquamicut and Anthony Pioppi in this thread... http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,55320.0.html

Another Misquamicut plan. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:55:29 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1247 on: March 09, 2019, 11:19:19 AM »

Stadium Hills subdivision in Ann Arbor.  I am not sure if this map displays an existing course, which may have been the Ann Arbor CC, or if this was a course that was to be built.  The University of Michigan course project would start just southeast of this location within a couple of years.  Pioneer HS was built in the upper right portion of this plat in the 1950's.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:13:21 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1248 on: March 09, 2019, 11:22:55 AM »

Meadow Club of Tamalpais, Olmsted planting guide, in three parts.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1249 on: March 09, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
Dayton CC - 1917 Olmsted Plan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back