News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: A Compilation of Routing Maps, Plans and Architectural Drawings
« Reply #1000 on: January 06, 2016, 09:56:35 PM »
Bertie Way's brother Ernest was the Pro at DGC in 1906 and it was he who did the construction work for Ross. He became the superintendent after the work was done

Alex Ross became the Pro when Ernest retired.

Detroit - the City of Brotherly Love.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #1001 on: January 06, 2016, 09:58:03 PM »

Sven:

I just read your post but think I should put these items up for all to review.  The top drawing is by John King.  The information is taken from the 1940 History of Detroit Golf Club in the club's files which is shown next.  John's drawing says 1899, but that is the year the club was founded NOT when they had a golf course.  I'm still looking at period newspaper articles and trying to confirm this information from another source.  The Saginaw date is from Stuart's book, which I believe he got from the Michigan Golfer.  It's not a date confirmed by The Golf Guide.  I'll keep looking.

Tony

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1002 on: January 06, 2016, 10:41:41 PM »
Anthony:

As well intentioned as Stuart's book is, many of the dates are wrong.  Some of the courses noted on the American Park Builders list were subscribed the date of organization of the club, when in fact Bendelow came through much later. 

I've also found Michigan Golfer to be a less than definitive source.

The map is clearly a later day interpretation of the early course.

It is my understanding that Bendelow did have an arrangement with Spalding prior to 1900, but it wasn't until 1901 that he became their in-house architect.  I'm still skeptical that he was doing work in Detroit in 1900, as his day job was in New York at Van Cortlandt (at least up until around April) and for most of that year he was accompanying Vardon on his tour of the US and Canada.

The same 1911 map you posted is included in the Dec. 1904 edition of Golf Magazine, and thus does not represent any work done by Barker.

Sven
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:46:31 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #1003 on: January 07, 2016, 11:07:39 AM »
Sven: 

Once again agree with many of your comments regarding Stuart's dates and Michigan Golfer.  Stuart is continuing to revise his its and I'm working on the Michigan side. 

I did come across an undocumented transcript regarding Reid & Connellan at the USGA last year and it covers a lot of the Detroit area scene.  I'm still trying to document half of what it said including several Bendelow overlaps. The number of designers who have worked on Birmingham CC since TB's first 9 is mind boggling.  I understand a certain gentleman well-known on these pages is reviewing the history of B'ham.  I'll be interested in seeing if he comes up with some more names for the list.  [size=78%]I'll continue to pursue info re TB in Michigan and dates, especially the Detroit area clubs where Bendelow and/or C&A are concerned (my main interest).  [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Separately: I don't understand your Barker comment related to the DGC routing I posted.  I didn't make any comment re: Barker and DGC.  I have an interest in Barker in relation to Chicago, as he weaves in and out of the C&A connections there.[/size]

Tony

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #1004 on: January 07, 2016, 11:31:54 AM »
Omaha Field Club-Omaha Daily Bee-April 30, 1911:

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1005 on: January 07, 2016, 11:32:24 AM »
Anthony:

The Barker comment was a followup to my earlier question as to whether the 1911 map showed any of his work.  As the map dates back to 1904, I was just clarifying that it predated his involvement.

I found confirmation that the first course (which started as 6 holes with 3 more being added in short order) was quickly extended to 18 holes in 1901.

It is highly possible that this is when Bendelow became involved (the timing makes sense), and the club history just lumped the 1900 and 1901 activities into one story line.

Probably makes sense for us to move these types of conversations out of this thread and into separate discussions (I'm probably the biggest culprit on this front).  As much as I enjoy the tangents these maps take us on, we're kind of taking away from Ed's focus.

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #1006 on: January 07, 2016, 05:10:45 PM »

Ed: Sounds like PD suffered from drainage issues from roughly 1940 until 1953.  Is this true?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:33:29 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

BCrosby

« Reply #1007 on: January 07, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
Jim -

That is pure gold. Clearest depiction I've seen of how Press' new 9 was integrated into Perry's original 9.

Thanks for digging it out.

Bob

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:49:33 PM by BCrosby »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #1008 on: January 07, 2016, 06:24:57 PM »
Glad you like it Bob.

It's only a newspaper map, but the signature is by Maxwell. The two differences in the routing between the drawing and a modern aerial seem to be the location of the 4th green, and the modern aerial #5 shows a straight away hole while the drawing shows a dogleg.   

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #1009 on: January 08, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »
Omaha Field Club-Omaha Daily Bee-April 30, 1911:

An additional point of interest: those new bunkers, hazards and tees were added by William D. Clark, the head pro at Omaha Field Club, who would move to Minnesota in 1917 to become the first head pro at the Minneapolis Golf Club, where he finished Willie Park Jr.'s design. Clark would become a prolific GCA in Minnesota, designing Oak Ridge, Gross, Brookview, Columbia, Wirth and Meadowbrook before moving to Florida.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #1010 on: January 12, 2016, 11:04:34 AM »

Rick,

Thank you for the information on Omaha Field Club. 

To all:
June 3, 1894 routing of Morris County Golf Club, Morristown, NJ:

"The links for the ladies crosses and recrosses the grounds in a confusing manner, making a distance of 1 1/4 miles.  The men's links is longer, crossing the tracks of the D. L. and W. Railroad, and covering 2 1/4 miles of country"
Link to the article:http://tinyurl.com/js2xgem

Tom Bagley

« Reply #1011 on: January 15, 2016, 12:16:08 PM »
More of a mystery post.  The following photo of the unveiling of the plans for a course in Massachusetts was taken from the digitalcommonwealth.com archives.

Any guesses as to the course?

My guess is Newton Commonwealth f/k/a Chestnut Hill Country Club.  The photo is from the Leslie Jones collection at the Boston Public Library.  Jones was a long-time photographer for the old Boston Herald and produced many sports-related photos of Boston area landmarks.  In comparing the map to the current Google Maps aerial image there are a lot of similarities - although I believe the golf course has been modified over the years.  Plus, it is the only Massachusetts golf course I could find that was adjacent to an "Algonquin Road" as shown on the map!   :)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1012 on: January 18, 2016, 09:22:18 AM »
Battle Creek CC.

BCrosby

« Reply #1013 on: January 18, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »
Unless I misread the Battle Creek map, it looks like virtually every green has a back bunker.

In light of the recent thread on the topic, interesting.

Bob

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #1014 on: January 19, 2016, 10:49:51 AM »

Site of the first International Championship between Canada & the USA

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #1015 on: January 31, 2016, 08:18:36 PM »

Champlain CC Golf July 1912

Bluff Point, VT (on Lake Champlain) Golf Illustrated July 1928

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #1016 on: February 03, 2016, 09:32:48 AM »
East Liverpool CC (OH) - June 1920

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #1017 on: February 08, 2016, 05:18:11 AM »

Donald Ross' plans #2 & 3 for the possible expansion of Pennrose Park CC.

Click to embiggen

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:20:11 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #1018 on: February 08, 2016, 05:55:34 AM »
Unless I misread the Battle Creek map, it looks like virtually every green has a back bunker.

In light of the recent thread on the topic, interesting.

Bob

Those aren't back bunkers, but the backs of the fill pads for the putting greens. There's a similar drawing method on the Penn State Golf Course routing and both are/were done by Willie Park, Jr.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #1019 on: February 11, 2016, 04:08:31 PM »
Belle Isle Detroit, Michigan  Most likely an Ernie Way design although not built until 1922.  A comparison with today's GE shows the entire site is still there and you can almost "see" the course routing.  This course has nothing to do with the current First Tee practice layout and course further toward the tip of the island.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #1020 on: February 12, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »

Princess Anne CC - Va. - 1916

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #1021 on: February 17, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »

Click twice

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #1022 on: February 20, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »
From Bret Lawrence  Anthony Pioppi
2 clicks/big

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:17:46 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #1023 on: February 20, 2016, 06:32:55 PM »
Jim:

Anthony Pioppi sent the above map to you.  Wethersfield Country Club is celebrating their 100 year anniversary this year.  Robert D. Pryde laid out the first nine holes in 1916.  The second nine was laid out by Jack Stait (pro from Hartford Golf Club) and Syd Covington (pro at Wethersfield) in 1924. 

Stait and Covington presented the club with plans for the outside nine, according to a meeting in the Club minutes from August 8, 1924.  The board approved the plan and financing for the project.

In a July 31, 1925 meeting, a motion was made and carried to present Mr. Stait with a purse of $100 in gold and a suitable letter be written thanking him for services rendered.  The 18 hole course opened for play on Labor Day of 1925.

It's been previously noted that Robert J. Ross laid out the outside nine, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support this. 

Bret

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #1024 on: February 21, 2016, 05:13:17 PM »

Alameda Ca. Muni - Willie Locke - 1927.     

2 clicks/big

Aerial view - 1939

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:38:36 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back