News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: A Compilation of Routing Maps, Plans and Architectural Drawings
« Reply #750 on: January 10, 2015, 10:23:32 AM »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #751 on: January 10, 2015, 02:35:42 PM »
A generation before they were cracking Nazi code in Bletchley they were playing golf - by comparison, "Enigma" was probably a piece of cake.

The map was drawn sometime after 1906, the date given for the course, and 1914, the date that the draftsman, Maj. John Chadwick, lost his life in the "Great War" (there's an oxymoron for you).  ;) 

More about Bletchley:
http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/mkha/mkha/projects/jt/bletchley/docs/heroes.html

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #752 on: January 11, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »
Frankford Country Club Golf Links
Upper map is 1903
Lower is from 1910

1 click = embiggen

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #753 on: January 11, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »
Walnut Lane GC  - Philadelphia Pa.= ca. 1939

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #754 on: January 12, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »
League Island GC - ca. 1930s - Eventually known as FDR Golf Club

This 2006 thread offers some info:
 http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,24568.0.html

As does this :
http://tinyurl.com/mdmype5
It's a "cached" page, but it will give you the pdf address if you want to download it.

This link will take you to an aerial view of the course:
http://cdm16038.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p268001uw/id/4860/rec/37

It was said in another thread that the routing pattern has changed from the original layout, but today's course looks amazingly similar to the one shown in the '30s map.  

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:40:36 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #755 on: January 12, 2015, 03:19:22 PM »
New Britain Golf Club, Newington, CT-1915. 9 holes designed by John Duncan Dunn in 1899.  6 or 7 holes added by Robert D. Pryde in 1912.
Formerly known as Maple Hill Golf Club, later known as Sequin Golf Club.  Today, the course is known as Indian Hill Country Club.  
The current routing at Indian Hill Country Club is a Robert J. Ross design from 1925.
Source: Hartford Courant-July 13, 1915
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:21:27 PM by Bret Lawrence »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #756 on: January 12, 2015, 06:47:47 PM »
These come from "The Golf Book Of East Lothian" by John Kerr (1896). Write-ups on them can be found at: 
http://tinyurl.com/lepmkt3

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #757 on: January 13, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #758 on: January 13, 2015, 06:58:54 PM »
Tampa Links (Outing Magazine, Feb. 1900) -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #759 on: January 14, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »
Golfer's Guide  = 1894

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #760 on: January 14, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »
The Golfer - 1897

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:26:32 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #761 on: January 22, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »
Apologize if this is a repeat.

Somerset - Dec. 24, 1898 Brooklyn Daily Eagle -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #762 on: January 25, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »
Indianwood CC Lake Orion Michigan 1930 Western Open.  The article from the Port Huron Times Herald shows Wilfrid (spelled wrong as fred) Reid both as contestant and architect.  They even give credit to Bill Connellan, Reid's partner, for building the course.

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #763 on: January 25, 2015, 10:30:20 AM »
Colonial CC for the 1940 Open.  Before changes along the river due to flooding and the corps of engineers.  From the Port Huron Times Herald June 1, 1940

Ian Murray

Re: Reply 662 A Compilation of Routing Maps, Plans and Architectural Drawings
« Reply #764 on: January 25, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »
Thanks Matt for posting the original layout of the Malone golf courses. The attributions of architect(s) for these courses (East and West have driven me nuts. The convoluted attributions on their website are a testament to ‘branding’: mention Donald Ross and Robert Trent Jones Sr. in the same breath with rather vague references to Albert Murray and Willard Wilkinson but then say the 36 hole layout is really RTJ Sr. But wait. Watch the ‘West Course’ video fly over and Albert Murray has 5 of his holes on the West course. Dazed and confused?

1.   Architects of Golf, 1992, attribute the original 9 holes to Wilkinson (I know, they may be wrong).

2.   Donald Ross. Where does he fit in? Nowhere, according the Donald Ross Society and personal communication with Brad Klein who said there is no evidence he is aware of Ross was ever in Malone.

3.   Enter Golf Digest, June 1987, just around the opening of the Malone West course. They say the East Course “is essentially Murray with a couple of Jones holes”. I know rather vague again but wider interest in the study of golf architecture was just gaining interest with a larger audience at the time.

4.   Enter Albert Murray (my grandfather, my bias acknowledged). Albert notes in his diary he renovated the original 9 and laid out 11 holes at Malone (East Course). Tragically, my grandmother threw out his architectural drawings when she moved a few years after he died (counselling for me helpful in this regard) so I have no more specific details but I do have a few construction photos of his time when he expanded the East Course to 18.

Then to top it off James R. Hansen in his, A Difficult Par: Robert Trent Jones Sr. and the Making of Modern Golf said Wilkinson laid out 18 holes in 1939.

Sorry for the incorrect placement of this. I have no idea how to reply to a specific post.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:10:31 PM by Ian Murray »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #765 on: January 25, 2015, 06:00:47 PM »
This routing map appeared in the Dec. 1903 edition of Golf Magazine.  It is of an actual course that was not identified, with the commentary that the straight lines and right angles were unusual, but probably presented a course worth playing over.

Oconomowoc CC - Oconomowoc, Wisconsin - Layout by William Marshall and Alexander Smith. Pretty old, 1895/96.
Straight lines or not, it was 'worthy' enough for  Laurie Autcherlonie to stop by and grab the professional course record w/a 34.  :)   

Ian Murray

« Reply #766 on: January 25, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »
Malone (New York) Golf Club from "A History of the Malone Golf Club" (1987 / 2003). This is the original 18-hole routing.

Hole Nos. 1-8, 16 and 17 on this routing are still in play on the current East Course and remain virtually untouched, sans significant tree growth and still play as the same hole numbers.

Hole No. 9 now plays as No. 18 on the current West Course; No. 11 as current No. 1; No. 12 as current No. 9 West; No. 13 is currently No. 10 West, No. 14 is now No. 17 West.

Old No. 10 is still pretty much in tact, but is only used as a practice hole. Old No. 18's green is still there and is used as a practice chipping / putting green, but the bunkers have been taken out. Old No. 15 green still exists and sits at the rear of the current golf range and is used for instructional purposes, however, I believe a fair amount of green space has been lost.

And here's Malone's original routing (nine holes) at it's original location, slightly closer to the village where Franklin Academy now stands.

Thanks for posting the original layout Matt. The attributions of architect(s) for these courses (East and West have driven me nuts. The convoluted attributions on their website are a testament to ‘branding’: mention Donald Ross and Robert Trent Jones Sr. in the same breath with rather vague references to Albert Murray and Willard Wilkinson but then say the 36 hole layout is really RTJ Sr. But wait. Watch the ‘West Course’ video fly over and Albert Murray has 5 of his holes on the West course. Dazed and confused?

1.   Architects of Golf, 1992, attribute the original 9 holes to Wilkinson (I know, they may be wrong).

2.   Donald Ross. Where does he fit in? Nowhere, according the Donald Ross Society and personal communication with Brad Klein who said there is no evidence he is aware of Ross was ever in Malone.

3.   Enter Golf Digest, June 1987, just around the opening of the Malone West course. They say the East Course “is essentially Murray with a couple of Jones holes”. I know rather vague again but wider interest in the study of golf architecture was just gaining interest with a larger audience at the time.

4.   Enter Albert Murray (my grandfather, my bias acknowledged). Albert notes in his diary he renovated the original 9 and laid out 11 holes at Malone (East Course). Tragically, my grandmother threw out his architectural drawings when she moved a few years after he died (counselling for me helpful in this regard) so I have no more specific details but I do have a few construction photos of his time when he expanded the East Course to 18.

Then to top it off James R. Hansen in his, A Difficult Par: Robert Trent Jones Sr. and the Making of Modern Golf said Wilkinson laid out 18 holes in 1939.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #767 on: January 25, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
I'm not the only one who is amazed at all the early golf courses that had road crossings. Eleven of the next fourteen courses have holes that require playing over roads. There are also two that play over racetracks, and one that plays over rail lines. All are from The Golfer's Green Book of 1901, and all drew their members from Chicago.

The above club is the leader in the clubhouse with 20 crossings. That's a lot of looking both ways, more like a tennis match that a game of golf.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:35:46 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #768 on: January 25, 2015, 07:17:40 PM »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #769 on: January 26, 2015, 03:29:27 PM »
Glen Echo CC - St. Louis Missouri - home of the 1904 Olympic golf matches

Drawing blatantly lifted from Jim Healey's "In My Opinon" piece:

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/glen-echo-country-club/

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #770 on: January 26, 2015, 07:37:53 PM »
Hood River CC - H. Chandler Egan, architect

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #771 on: January 26, 2015, 08:17:53 PM »
Another by Egan...

...and one by George Otten:

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #772 on: January 29, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #773 on: February 01, 2015, 04:40:17 PM »
Another Macan - July 1924 - Tacoma Sunday Ledger, 5-4-24

Gourse measured 6,455 yards with a par of 70.
Click to embiggen

Thanks Jim - love that!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #774 on: February 02, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »
Upstate NY.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back