News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Homsey

Re: A Compilation of Routing Maps, Plans and Architectural Drawings
« Reply #550 on: November 03, 2013, 01:19:13 PM »

Stafford Country Club, Stafford, NY  1921 Travis layout
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:28:17 PM by Ed Homsey »

Ed Homsey

« Reply #551 on: November 03, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »

Country Club of Scranton 1925 Travis layout

Ed Homsey

« Reply #552 on: November 03, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »

Country Club of Troy, 1926 Travis layout

Many thanks to Jim Kennedy for his assistance in posting this, and the previous layouts.  You can teach old dogs new tricks!

Ed
www.travissociety.com
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:31:25 PM by Ed Homsey »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #553 on: November 03, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
You're on a roll now Ed!!  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #554 on: November 03, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
Apologize if any of these are duplicates (let me know if they are and I'll delete them).

Nassau Golf Links:

Miami Golf Links:

California Golf Club (1923):

SFGC (Lock Routing - 1918):
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #555 on: November 03, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
More.

New Coronado Golf Links:

Olympic Club:

Lake Merced:

San Francisco G&CC:

Lincoln Park:

Map of Golf Courses in the San Francisco area:

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #556 on: November 03, 2013, 02:10:25 PM »
Another look at the New Haven GC:

Ed Homsey

« Reply #557 on: November 03, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »

Travis course map for 27 holes at Yahnundasis Golf Club.  There was to be an 18-hole championship course and a 9-hole executive course.  Initially, 11 holes were built from the Travis plan, and combined with holes from a previous course.  In 1931, the Travis layout was completed.  The land intended for the 9-hole course was used for a practice range.

Travis 1923 course layout for Kirkwood Links (currently known as Camden Country Club)

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #558 on: November 03, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »

Stafford Country Club, Stafford, NY  1921 Travis layout

Ed, looks like routing is intact except for moving the 18th green?

David_Tepper

« Reply #559 on: November 03, 2013, 03:37:58 PM »
Sven -

Thanks for posting the routing maps of all the San Francisco courses. Have you come across one for the Presidio?

DT

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #560 on: November 03, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »
David:

No such luck.  These are all taken from the San Francisco Water article that DM posted about (and included all of these routings) in the thread found here:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=52007.0

Sven

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #561 on: November 03, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Rackham

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #562 on: November 04, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
In response to several of the routing maps I posted yesterday, Phil Young reached out to me with some additional information, more maps and a great deal of clarification.  

The first item he passed along is the original routing map for the Presidio:

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #563 on: November 04, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »
Next, a couple of images of the original SFGC "Old Ingleside" layout:

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #564 on: November 04, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
Another of Old Ingleside:

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #565 on: November 04, 2013, 11:25:40 AM »
Here is the Locke routing posted above as contained in the January 1918 SF Examiner.  Per Phil Young: "Although Locke drew that for the newspaper, the routing of the course, was done by a committee of three SFGC members. It was laid out by them and constructed under their control. Locke was hired as the Club's professional in August 1917 and was given the responsibility of bunkering the back nine. That is all he did."

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #566 on: November 04, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »
Further, from Phil:

"In your post #555, you show the drawing that for redesigning the members course. The problem is that this course wasn't built and, in fact, isn't the actual plan that was drawn and designed by Tillinghast and that the club's members approved the last week of 1920. The difference between tis drawing and the original Tillinghast drawing is that this one, found in the April 1923 brochure put out by the Spring Valley Water Co. has the nines numbered backward. The original Tillinghast plan called for these nines to be reversed. The reason why this drawing has that mistake is because the Water Co. only had the drawing of the course that hadn't been built. They received a full set of original construction drawings when Punnet & Parez, the engineers who drew the plans, gave them to them. They did this because, at that time, it was still their property and they arranged for P&P to do the surveying of the property creating elevation drawings upon which Tillinghast could use to design the course. When they did the 1923 booklet, they changed the hole numbers on both nines as that reflected how the existing new members-redesigned course was being played."

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #567 on: November 04, 2013, 11:36:39 AM »
And with respect to the design of the current course:

"After the plan was approved, construction began in earnest in mid-February 1920. In March it was halted because the Water Co. now insisted that SFGC, which to this point was leasing the land, buy it. It would take until the beginning of 1922 for this to take place. At that time, Roger Lapham, who had brought Tilly out for the original design, was on the East coast overseeing the planning and running of that year's U.S. Open. While he was gone, a group of strong-minded and influential members convinced the Board to let them redesign the course and build it as this would save a great deal of money that they didn't have at the moment. After this redesign failed, Tillinghast was brought back out in March 1924. It was at that time that the current course was designed and built. It opened for play at the beginning of 1925."

The history of evolution of SFGC is covered in a Tillinghast Illustrated piece from the Tillinghast Association that can be found here:  

http://www.tillinghast.net/Tillinghast/Tillinghast_Illustrated_files/TIfor%20web.pdf

As Phil noted, all of this is covered in great detail in the soon to be printed San Francisco Golf Club club history that he has just finished.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:41:32 AM by Sven Nilsen »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #568 on: November 08, 2013, 12:52:47 PM »
This map had been posted earlier on this thread by John Foley. I'm reposting it as a couple of the holes were lost to a reflection on the glass.
This version came from architect Barry Jordan's website, where you can also find a couple of old photos of Teugaga and some photos of their restoration work ( I imagine DR. Klein had a hand in it as he's listed as part of their team, focusing on "historical analysis for existing courses, and creative collaboration and analysis on new designs." )

Mark Chalfant recently toured the course and thought it was fantastic.

http://www.jordangolfdesign.com/historic-restorations.html

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ed Homsey

« Reply #569 on: November 09, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »
Responding to Mark Saltzman's post on Nov. 4th regarding the Stafford CC routing:  The nines are reversed from Travis's original drawing (which is true of several of his courses); as you point out, the current 18th green was moved in the late '50s or early 60s (much to the consternation of many current members); the current par-3 8th hole was a 278 yard par 4 originally; and, the original map shows the current par-3 4th hole tee box behind the 14th green rather than to the left of the 14th green as it currently exists (I suspect they discovered that there was not sufficient room to put the tee behind the 14th green).

Ed Oden

« Reply #570 on: December 15, 2013, 01:33:03 AM »
Sorry for letting things slip on this thread.  I've updated the index for postings over the last few months.

Here is a 1913 map of The Country Club in Brookline, courtesy of Melvin Morrow...

Ed Oden

« Reply #571 on: December 15, 2013, 01:42:09 AM »
The next few posts are all things I've stumbled across on eBay over the last few months.

First up is a fantastic 1936 map of Toluca Lake that included Lakeside Golf Club...

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:43:41 AM by Ed Oden »

Ed Oden

« Reply #572 on: December 15, 2013, 01:45:05 AM »
Tam O'Shanter Country Club from the club's 1941 history book...

Ed Oden

« Reply #573 on: December 15, 2013, 01:48:15 AM »
A truly stunning plan of Gleneagles...

Ed Oden

« Reply #574 on: December 15, 2013, 01:53:46 AM »
Next up are a couple of drawings of Augusta National in the 1932 Annual Golf Review Illustrated.

The 5th hole (originally the 14th hole)...

...and the 12th and 13th holes (originally the 3rd and 4th holes)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back