News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Arbory Brae is posted under My Home Course
« on: April 01, 2002, 05:56:08 PM »
"My name is Alfie Ward, and along with my brother Harry, we have finally managed to complete the reconstruction of Arbory Brae golf course in South Lanarkshire, Scotland."

That's how the first sentence reads in our latest My Home Course entry.

I don't know exactly where South Lanarkshire is but I do know that I'll figure it out for my next trip over there.

Hope you enjoy this fascinating account. One of my favorite lines is when Alfie writes, "The fairways – what fairways? There are no fairways, just open ground where a beautifully executed shot can still find an awkward lie at the base of a 'grassy knoll', or where the ball comes to rest on a 'sheep track'!"

Seve would love it :D, as would many of us, I imagine.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Richard_Goodale

Re: Arbory Brae is posted under My Home Course
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2002, 06:30:09 PM »
Great stuff, Ran and Alfie.

I and my South Lanarkshire born and bred wife are looking forward to Slag Bandoon's report after he plays Arbory Brae soon!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2002, 09:12:10 PM »
Looking at all of this seems to evoke the most exact nature of the game of golf.

Alfie, if you are reading this, I would really enjoy seeing more pictures of the site. It looks as if Fernie knew exactly what NATURAL features to utilize in his quest for the best golf the land could offer.

Is it me, or doesn't this seem to be the course you would most like to get completely snockered on--drinking a pint of scotch and stumbling all over these grounds?

I'll lay 10-1 that if one was really in search of the meaning of the Game of Golf, he would find it at Arbory Brae.

AndyI

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2002, 07:31:55 AM »
Terrific write-up, and what a beautiful site for what appears to be a very interesting and fun course.  I would love to see some more pictures as well.

Tom Paul: I recall that you mentioned a few months ago that you were toying with the idea of building a small, low-maintenance course on a portion of your property.  It occurs to me that you might get some excellent ideas on how to set it up by looking at Arbory Brae and talking to Alfie and Harry, particularly with respect to alternative hazards ("bull rushes, bracken and a network of shallow ditches") and small greens!  Sounds like a good excuse for a trip to Scotland to me.   ;)

Ran Morrissett

A surprise present
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2002, 05:12:26 PM »
I just received a "wee pressie" from Alfie - three gutta percha golf balls  :o

His brother and he make and sell them. Tiger hit a few on the range at Royal Troon a few years back and got one to go 240 yards, which is awesome!

Alfie's note says,

"These are REAL gutta percha repro's from the original Willie Park mould courtesy of a good friend and gentleman by the name of Archie Baird.  As far as I know, we are the only people who  make these balls from an original mould, and from real gutta percha ??  Scientifically proven -  when was the last time you saw a golf ball float!"

He says that I can boil them after a game and hand roll them smooth and into good shape. Thankfully, I'm such a short hitter that I won't lose any but I am going to give them a crack and report back.

If anyone has interest in buying some, I would suggest emailing Alfie direct at alfie@fernie55.freeserve.co.uk

Cheers,

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2002, 08:21:08 PM »
Ran,
I think I'll get a few of them for a future round at Rustic Canyon, once it opens!

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2002, 01:35:23 AM »
 Any emailing to Alfie is well worth the effort.  He is, after all, the Guttywill Ambassador of the World.
See you in June Alfie and Harry.  Please wake up Mr. Fernie for a spirited round of gowf with a disciple.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back