News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will MacEwen

Re: MacKenzie Bags....let em see your pics....
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2010, 12:09:23 PM »
For the winter up here, I went with a Ping Sunday bag and about 9 clubs.  It was light and I liked it, but I still missed that second strap.  The bag feels more secure that way.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
I have a couple of different Sunday bags but both of them have long enough straps to be able to carry the bag quiver-style. It's a very good option to the problems associated with either the single or back-pack style options.

Dave,
If it's raining, forget it, most of the sundays are nylon. If it's wet ground and I find myself walking w/one I hang the butt of the bag over the edge of a bunker and that keeps the grips away from the water. That doesn't help much in the fairway, but you would only be laying the nylon on the grass for 10 seconds or so, no?  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Seth Berliner

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
I'd pay a lot for a waterproof, Gore-Tex lined bag Sunday bag.  The only issue I have with my little $35 Sunday bags is that - like all sub-$800 bags - water and dew seep through them when you lay them on wet grass - and the grips get wet.  I suppose the issue with waterproofing a bag is that they probably turn into a rust-creating petrie dish after a round if you don't completely dry your clubs off after the round - and who can say they do that every time?  

This might be the closest thing you will find.  http://www.titleist.com/accessories/carry_bags/stadry.asp

And I love the look of the MacKenzie bags.  One day soon...

Jud_T

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »
I have a couple of different Sunday bags but both of them have long enough straps to be able to carry the bag quiver-style. It's a very good option to the problems associated with either the single or back-pack style options.

I think quiver style is the best solution.  Getting the double strap on and off all the time is a pain in the butt...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rob Rigg

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2010, 12:05:23 PM »
Obviously every golfer is different - I like the various carrying options that you get with a single strap bag.

I tend to use the quiver style like Jim (and use my arm to press the bag against my back above the hip for additional support) and mix it up with right shoulder on shorter walks.

The most important element of using a single strap bag is probably weight.

I don't know what the "breakeven" would be for most golfers - but if you can get your clubs down to 10 or less and keep the stuff in the pockets pretty light, then it is very easy to pick up and put down a single strap bag. I think my bag probably only weighs about 15 lbs. on the course (depending on how much water is in the bottle).

If your bag weighs 30 lbs then a stand and double straps probably does help (although I always felt like the double strap put a lot of weight on my spine and lower back).

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2010, 04:22:50 AM »
Just reading about a round at Pebble costing $650 with clubs, caddy and tips now that makes a MacKenzie bag sound cheap! 
Cave Nil Vino

David Stamm

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2010, 11:27:50 AM »
I love the look of the bags, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on something to carry clubs. I'd rather take my chances with a tradtional stand bag and throw the rest in my daughters college fund.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tim Liddy

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »
My kids are out of College. I have mine ordered. Let us see how long it will take.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2010, 04:11:34 PM »
Just reading about a round at Pebble costing $650 with clubs, caddy and tips now that makes a MacKenzie bag sound cheap! 

Don't forget the cost of staying at the Lodge if you want to get a good tee time.

Mike_Young

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2010, 04:27:35 PM »
A little off topic but looking at #85 and TL avatar....did you guys see this....

http://blogs.suntimes.com/shinyobjects/2010/01/video_conan_will_ferrell_freebird_and_a_cowbell_-_how_the_tonight_show_ended.html

more and more cowbell ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »

Dave,
If it's raining, forget it, most of the sundays are nylon. If it's wet ground and I find myself walking w/one I hang the butt of the bag over the edge of a bunker and that keeps the grips away from the water. That doesn't help much in the fairway, but you would only be laying the nylon on the grass for 10 seconds or so, no?  ;D

Or you could just save yourself a rake of money and buy yourself a decent stand bag that will save you lying it flat on the ground

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »
Thomas,
You're talking to the wrong guy.  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matt OBrien

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2010, 09:29:35 PM »
We need Ari Techner to post pics of his bags. He must have 5 or 6 of them. They are very nice bags and I cant wait to get mine!

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
We need Ari Techner to post pics of his bags. He must have 5 or 6 of them. They are very nice bags and I cant wait to get mine!

I saw of few of them at the PGA show and they look great. Especially with a set of Scratch irons and wedges in them!

Also iliac Golf has some new ones coming out that are around $450 that look pretty dang nice as well.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Matt OBrien

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »

I saw of few of them at the PGA show and they look great. Especially with a set of Scratch irons and wedges in them!

Also iliac Golf has some new ones coming out that are around $450 that look pretty dang nice as well.

I have the Irons and wedges, just need the bag!

PCCraig

Re: MacKenzie Bags
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »
I just ordered and received a MacKenzie Sunday walker made out of all black ballistic nylon with black leather trim and my initials under the handle. The bag is really incredible and you can really make out the craftsmanship in its details.

I loaded everything into the bag this weekend that I usually carry (6-7 balls, tees, ball repair tool, a few coins, towel, etc.) with my 14 clubs and it's very light...just as light as the Titliest Sunday Nylon bag I was using before. The bag is certainly more expensive than the $50 Titliest Bag I was using before, but I usually wore one out each season...I'm guessing the Mackenzie will last quite a bit longer. I'll post picture when I can.

Overall, highly recommended!
H.P.S.

Eric Smith

« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:43:30 PM by Eric Smith »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »

Sean Leary

« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
I play too much golf on wettish ground to ever get one, even though I like them...

Jud_T

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »
Pat,

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »
Not al Mackenzie bags are $800.  I got mine at my club a few years ago for $350. I do love it. It bought a second strap that works well so can carry it on both shoulders.  There are two draw backs.  I you play in the rain by the time you finish you feel like you are carrying the cow from which it came.  They also stink on a cart. They get all marked up.  Consequently I don't generally take it on a vacation where I know I will take a cart. I do use it in GB&I.  The last time I was at Kinloch, the caddie traded it out for a $30 bag that has a stand.  So I find myself trading bags from time to time.  If I take a caddie at home or just walk and carry, my preferred way to play, I use it and love it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2012, 03:30:33 PM »
Pat,

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

PM Sent
H.P.S.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »
I love mine, walked 18 this morning in fact.

Ben Sims

« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »
I'm a big fan of my MacKenzie.  Ms. Renee did some incredible work on this bag.  I went and visited the company when Todd was out of town and I felt like an old friend.  There aren't many companies out there like this one anymore.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back