News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: MacKenzie Bags....let em see your pics....
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2010, 07:47:52 PM »
  Real golfers tote the $39 Ping Moon bag. 

That model has been gone for a few years now. It is $59 now as my son has one. Of course he likes to take a cart...............

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2010, 11:44:13 PM »
$700 for a golf bag?  Sorry, that ain't my cup o' tea.  There are bags that cost $35 that work just as well and are lighter.

Agree. Some people have more money than good sense... or, good taste. This is just another "look at me" product to satisfy wealthy egos.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2010, 12:58:17 AM »
$700 for a golf bag?  Sorry, that ain't my cup o' tea.  There are bags that cost $35 that work just as well and are lighter.

How's your Chevy Aveo treating you?  Or have you splurged on something fancier?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rob Rigg

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2010, 02:35:35 AM »

Agree. Some people have more money than good sense... or, good taste. This is just another "look at me" product to satisfy wealthy egos.

Yeah, because everyone should look the same and consumers should buy their golf bag from the sea of blah at Golf Galaxy.

That is good taste?

Every golfer has a choice, but if yours is to buy an unattractive, overly featured, athlete subsidizing, made in asia and cheaply constructed "OEM" $150 golf bag every couple of years that looks like a NASCAR - I'll stick with my $800 customized leather golf bag that will last forever.

Clearly my interpretation of good taste is different that yours - fortunately we live in a society where taste is not mandated.

We'll circle back in 10 years to see who got the most out of their golf bag(s).

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2010, 10:16:06 AM »

Yeah, because everyone should look the same and consumers should buy their golf bag from the sea of blah at Golf Galaxy.

That is good taste?

Every golfer has a choice, but if yours is to buy an unattractive, overly featured, athlete subsidizing, made in asia and cheaply constructed "OEM" $150 golf bag every couple of years that looks like a NASCAR - I'll stick with my $800 customized leather golf bag that will last forever.

Clearly my interpretation of good taste is different that yours - fortunately we live in a society where taste is not mandated.

We'll circle back in 10 years to see who got the most out of their golf bag(s).

"I'll stick with my $800 customized leather golf bag ..."

That says it all!!! Thanks for making my point.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Rob Rigg

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2010, 12:38:42 PM »

[/quote]

Umm, yeah, you forgot to quote the part where my bag will be on my shoulder for the rest of my life while yours will be replaced in a couple of years.

Do the math on that one.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
Mike Young, who are you calling Dude, Dude?

I forgive you because Hillbilly on Hillbilly violence is an ugly thing.

BTW, I'm still waiting on my opportunity to loop for Double-D.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brent Hutto

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »

Umm, yeah, you forgot to quote the part where my bag will be on my shoulder for the rest of my life while yours will be replaced in a couple of years.

Do the math on that one.
[/quote]

And you forgot the part about your other bag to use when it's raining and such...which costs $250.

We've done the math and it ain't pretty!

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2010, 06:42:01 PM »
I don't know guys.  A high quality bag can last a lifetime if taken care of.  My father still has a leather bag from the 1940s and it looks good as new.  But then so do his golf shoes, hunting boots and ball gloves which are pretty darn old as well - the gloves are from the 1930s.  I wouldn't buy one because it isn't practical as an everyday bag.  Not enough pockets for year round golf and no stand to keep the bag out of the slop.  But if you live in a warm, dry climate and like to walk with 6-8 clubs, it is an enticing prospect.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »
You could also put the money in the bank and have enough to buy yourself a new sunday bag every year, for the next twenty years....and give your slightly used one away.  :o

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 05:46:08 AM »
A round of golf can cost $30 or $450 and you have nothing but a memory at the end of it.

I am doubly lucky in owning a MacKenzie bag but must confess it was a gift from a good friend. I look forward to the day when we play a round together with our almost matching bags on shoulders.
Cave Nil Vino

JC Jones

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2010, 09:53:56 AM »
There was this guy on here who came up with a theory one time, I think it was called the "Big World" or something like that.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
There was this guy on here who came up with a theory one time, I think it was called the "Big World" or something like that.

Yes, and it's nice to see that even though there are many different opinions being expressed about value, etc., no one has stooped to calling anyone a s**thead because they hold a different view.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010, 10:55:20 AM »
Rob,

How do they work playing in wet Oregon? Does the wet ground ruin them?

I am a 1 strap fan myself and love these bags but at that price and playing most of my golf in Seattle, it doesn't make sense.

Sean,
The bag isn't that much of a problem but when my leather pants get wet they shrink and the last few holes become an issue....

If you see guys that look something like this at your local course...you'll know the Mike Young chapter of the Hillbillys tour has made a tour stop!!   ;D

Michael Dugger

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2010, 02:26:58 PM »
The Mac bag is cool, I just don't like the idea of putting it down, getting it wet in the rain in addition to dropping your clubheads in the potential muck.

If they had a stand bag option I'd think about buying one.  I'm sure they are durable and long lasting....

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tim Pitner

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »
I do rather like the argyle bag.  It probably won't accommodate my 17 clubs though.  (Kidding). 

Jud_T

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »
Rob,

Do they no longer offer the Llama?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rob Rigg

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2010, 05:04:54 PM »
Hi Jud,

The Llama is sold through The Walking Golfer.com

Please let me know if you have any questions:

http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/merchandise/llama.html

Jud_T

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2010, 07:35:34 PM »
Rob,

Thanx! Might have to wait till father's day, but I definitely want one!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2010, 07:40:28 PM »
Why wait, just go to WWW.GOLFCLUBATLASSALES.COM and put one on layaway.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2010, 12:10:22 AM »
Is this "funny/satire" Jim talking or "grouchy" Jim talking? I can never tell.

I couldn't find any of your very good $50 sunday bags available for sale on the site above - but the domain is available so you still have a chance to make a go of it! 

Jud asked a question about where he could find info on the Llama - so I let him know where that info is available. 

This thread was started by someone who is excited about a product that they put on their shoulder when they go out to enjoy a round of golf. I would imagine that most people are reading the thread because they have the product and want to share their pics or they are interested in the product and want to learn more - if not, they probably have better things to do.

Why you seem to have an issue with a small American company that hand stitches quality golf bags at their shop in Portland, OR that they sell through a website that promotes the benefits of enjoying the walking game of golf is beyond me.

Do you think we are getting rich from selling these bags? If so, you are sorely mistaken.

Proceeds from the bags go to The First Tee/The Children's Course in Portland, OR and to help promote initiatives like The Walking Golfer of the Year award, sponsoring Society events, and improving the site so golfers can use it as a resource. I would imagine that most people on GCA would think that a better awareness in this country of the benefits of walking would be a good thing and it would be better for the golf industry if walking golfers had a louder voice.

If a $50 sunday bag does it for you then start your own thread about how it improves your golf experience and where people can find them. I certainly won't bring my cynical personality over there and chirp away because I am bored or have too much time on my hands or think that I am "funny" with my "satire". 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »
Rob,
If you don't see how a $750.00 golf bag doesn't rate a little comedy, especially in these times, then I don't what to say to you.
But I will say that you should read the thread, I never said don't buy one.
I have said this:
 "No knock on the quality though, the bag will last you a long time",
..and:
"If you're someone who already has a big heart and can afford it, buy away"
.......and even though I didn't pay for it, I did mention that I have an old one from the Jacobsen days that is still being used, but not by me.

I appreciate that the USGA has a walker’s program and that that there are several societies like yours who have followed them in that pursuit, the values of  playing golf afoot are well known and should be promoted.
I don’t see using GCA as a promotional tool to drive traffic to other sites or to make sales pitches for products as a particularly good idea, and that type of activity was always frowned on at this site. Lately GCA is sounding more like a mini golf expo than an architectural site. The amount of commercial activity has increased significantly in the past year, much more than the casual poster who creates a topic lauding his favorite bag, or wedge, or shoe, and much more than I’ve seen in the 9 or so years that I’ve been here.

I think the 'info-mercials' should remain on the Golf Channel.

Like it or not, that’s my opinion. 

p.s. You will never “find any of (my) very good $50 sunday bags available for sale on (this) site” because I prefer not to mix business and pleasure. 

Michael Dugger

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »
Hasn't it been fairly conclusively proven that the one shoulder strap is not a good idea?

I don't have any scientific studies to quote other than years of experience carrying one and henceforth walking lopsided for the following 48 hours.

I always thought the double strap, spreading the load equally across both shoulders, was brilliant.

Why a step back in time with the $800 bag?  No kick stand....no double strap....
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Brent Hutto

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »
Hasn't it been fairly conclusively proven that the one shoulder strap is not a good idea?

I don't have any scientific studies to quote other than years of experience carrying one and henceforth walking lopsided for the following 48 hours.

I always thought the double strap, spreading the load equally across both shoulders, was brilliant.

Why a step back in time with the $800 bag?  No kick stand....no double strap....

Michael, two straps would be overkill for someone carrying a wood, three irons, a sand wedge and a putter. I think that's more the intended market for these bags. I guess the ultimate would be if someone could post a photo of a guy walking with a caddie carrying their MacKenzie bag with six clubs.

My problem with even the under-$50 minimal bags is that once I'm carrying a six-pound bottle of divot mix it doesn't matter how few clubs or how light the bag. I need at least two straps and preferably a set of wheels. Wish I played on something other than Bermuda (or could afford to pay someone to fill my divots for me).

Brent Hutto

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »
I find a stand and a plastic endcap on the bag combined to dew-proof a bag pretty well. But stand bags are so 1990's, I know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back