News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT - Golspie GC Seeking New Head Greenskeeper
« on: January 15, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »
Golspie's head greenskeeper of the past 10 years (who has done a very fine job) is moving on and the club is looking to fill the position. Information can be found on the club's Facebook page. Last year the club purchased a new mower and built a new maintenance barn/shed :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:53:27 PM by David_Tepper »

Jon Wiggett

Re: OT - Golspie GC Seeking New Head Greenskeeper
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:42:42 PM »

David,

it is a big loss for Golspie to lose their head man but also a credit to both him and the club that he stayed so long as I am sure that there would have been many a richer club interested in him. He has done an incredible job at Golspie and I hope he will be allowed to work his magic elsewhere. I also hope the club finds the right person to fill the job.

Jon.

ps. No barns up here just sheds ;)

David_Tepper

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 03:33:20 AM »
Dave T

Is Alex going to Coull?  Seems logical.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Steve Wilson

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »
Ouch.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Jon Wiggett

Steve Wilson

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 10:12:32 AM »
Ouch for Golspie losing the greenskeeper.  I think he's done a terrific job and am sorry to go.  Obviously brevity can be overdone :)
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
I wish them the best of luck.

Interesting course described as a "mix of links, heathland and parkland"

Perhaps a different thread but it's interesting that some holes on courses are often described as "being out of character for the course", and I've heard Golspie panned in the past for not being a pure links.

I really enjoy courses that take you on journeys across a varied  landscape.(Golspie being the poster child)
One of my favorite things about Portsalon are the couple of holes on the edge of the property that just begin to morph into a hint of enchanted parkland while just hugging and overlooking the edge of the links and utilizing the higher ground for spectacular views over the ocean, mountains and links.

I only played Golspie once 12 years ago and yet I remember every hole vividly due to the way it weaves in and out of the different genres of terrain.

Conversely, while I've played Sandy Links and Ballyliffin's fine 2 courses 3-4  times, and enjoyed them as I played them, I struggle to remember few if any of the individual holes as they play along similar textured and colored terrain.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:44:38 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »

Jeff,

Golspie is a wonderful course and is all the better for it's diversity. The only hole I dislike is the 14th and that is only because it is so stupidly narrow even though there is plenty of room to widen it. The only other oddity is the last because though it is a wonder and very tough hole it is strange the green has been left so far from the clubhouse when it could easily be placed right under the clubhouse windows.

Jon

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »

Jeff,

Golspie is a wonderful course and is all the better for it's diversity. The only hole I dislike is the 14th and that is only because it is so stupidly narrow even though there is plenty of room to widen it. The only other oddity is the last because though it is a wonder and very tough hole it is strange the green has been left so far from the clubhouse when it could easily be placed right under the clubhouse windows.

Jon

John,
agreed love the course.
Could be very special indeed with the changes you describe.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back