News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Re: Your 225 acre property - Which modern archie would you choose and why?
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2010, 05:59:42 PM »

How about the two Tommy's in a one of a kind collaboration  ( Naccarato - Paul Design)

with Kelly's clubhouse for me!

JC Urbina

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2010, 06:31:11 PM »
Pat,

Thanks for the thought.

Working in the field Designing and Building courses for 27 years.

Troy Russell once handed me some keys for the construction trailer that he thoughtfully set up at Pacific Dunes prior to construction.  He told me it had a drawing table and desk.  I said no need for those keys I will never be in that trailer.  The Construction truck was my office loaded with Paint cans, Flags and a Level.  The stereo was my intercom.  Many discussions about golf and life in general in the front seat of a Wagoner.

Lester George

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »

I'd hire me. 

If not me, somebody with a more varied background, (maybe Brauer) an appropriate fee, (fill in the blank) a better staff, (impossible)and a clear vision (not a guess) of the finished product.  Don't need a player, an owner consultant wannabe, or a rookie.

Lester

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »
I'd hire you too, Lester, but then you'd probably get pissed after a while because I talk too much.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
It depends on the budget!  We need more facts.  My first thought is always Doak, although Strantz would have gotten first dibs were he alive.  Look at the great job he did with nothing for land at Texas Tech.  Would the facility be able to afford him is the question.

After that, it's wide open, there are countless goof choices.  I'd have to walk the property and also consider the location.  

What are you trying to build is the next question...if it's me, I'd build New Macdonald so after Doak I guess would be Bahto then Hanse for that.

But for great daily fees/munis Engh, Brauer, Spann, and Moran are all good choices, as is Lester George.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Lester George

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 08:20:20 PM »
Tom,

I may not tire of the talking as soon as would suspect.  I just wonder if either one of us would hear the other.

Jay,

If for new MacDonald, I would still hire me.  Seeing how the next "new" MacDonald client has hired me and the "restored" MacDonald client just had his course chosen for a PGA Tour event hired me, I'd go with me.  All do respect to others.

Lester

archie_struthers

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2010, 08:41:10 PM »
 ;D :D ;)

Lester , a true Virginian  , they would have been gunslingers in the old west.  I  don 't know about as my first choice as architect but sure as hell you wouldn 't mind him taking the last shot.. .

His clinic about the Greenbriar at TEP's barn party was really excellent.  Interesting , historical and informative , enjoyed it immensely

Anthony Gray

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2010, 08:42:47 PM »

I'm going with Mike Young

1 He knows how to have fun.

2 Not afraid to stray from public opinion.

3 Has 41 courses under his belt (as well as black undies)

4 In touch with the every day golfer that will be providing the revenue.

5 Doesn't have a preconcieved repetitive style.

6 Likes Bar-B-Que

7 Works within the budget

8 Listens

9 Has great football seats

10 Knows how to have fun

Anthony

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »
Unlimited budget I would hire Byron Bell  ;D
Proud member of a Doak 3.

C. Squier

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2010, 09:47:25 PM »
I'd hire someone to convince me to NOT build a course and go completely broke....seems to be the trend.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2010, 10:33:28 PM »
I should have said - "Pretend that you are crazy enough to build a course in the current economic environment . . . " - just to get some of the "debbie downers"  ;D to chime in.

Jay - Per the original post - you have enough budget to hire whoever you want and move dirt, sand cap or whatever as you see fit. It's your world on this one.

It is when reading threads like this one that I wish I had a broader experience of courses by GCAs on the site - I have yet to play anything by KBM, Jeff B, Lester, Mike Nuzzo, or Mike DeVries, Mike Clayton - even Hanse.

I have been fortunate enough to play at Bandon so I have experienced C&C, Kidd, Doak and Urbina.

I really hope that all of the archies on GCA.com who have not had a chance get an opportunity to produce something that will be seen by many (how I wish Wolf Point was more accessible so we could see Nuzzo and Don M's hard work there).

I also hope that Jim Urbina has an opportunity to step out on his own in the near future and show the world his skillz. No doubt the result will be very impressive and a lot of fun to play.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »
Shaper...there is a Canadian dude named Blane Harrison who has done some nice shaping in upstate New York.

Architect...Scott Witter...He's a Bostonian now living in Lockport, NY, and has contributed for a long while to GCA (although not much of late.)

Hazards...Mark Fine...He wrote a book on them, for chrissake!

It all goes for naught if the 225-acre property is fat and gristle.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Michael Dugger

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
I'll do it myself, have Dan Hixson's doggie Milo consult and Slaggy run some equipment.

Why?  Because it'd be fun as hell!!!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jud_T

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »
Before you all say "I'd do it myself with a bit of help"-please visit Rich Harvest, Merit Club, Erin Hills etc.  The last thing we need is more courses by guys who think they know a thing or two who've never lifted a shovel in their life....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Dugger

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2010, 12:18:36 PM »
Before you all say "I'd do it myself with a bit of help"-please visit Rich Harvest, Merit Club, Erin Hills etc.  The last thing we need is more courses by guys who think they know a thing or two who've never lifted a shovel in their life....

Nice buzzkill, Jud.  Some of us HAVE lifted shovels however...even rakes.

Shoot, I even operate heavy equipment.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jud_T

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2010, 02:25:26 PM »
Before you all say "I'd do it myself with a bit of help"-please visit Rich Harvest, Merit Club, Erin Hills etc.  The last thing we need is more courses by guys who think they know a thing or two who've never lifted a shovel in their life....

Nice buzzkill, Jud.  Some of us HAVE lifted shovels however...even rakes.

Shoot, I even operate heavy equipment.

Then you qualify! Just referring to the title of the original post, i.e. "archie".  Not trying to ruin the fantasy gca session, just seen too many real world examples of a little bit of knowledge being dangerous....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:27:04 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »
None of you guys got it right.

I'd hire Donald Trump. He'd design the #1 course in the world ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Greg Tallman

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2010, 06:59:33 PM »
Kurt Bowman, I'm poor and he would fit my budget better than most.

Plus I argue well and could get my way and design half the course myself.

Kurt - I love ya buddy. 

Mike Jansen

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2010, 07:06:28 PM »
I would also choose myself... which asks the question: can you call yourself a golf course architect just because you haven't been given the chance to design one, even though you know you can accomplish it.  I would call upon the architects and shapers I've met over the years for consults.

I'd shoot for a semi-private club, because I like the variety it brings.  I'd focus my construction money on drainage and irrigation... playability is the most important.  As far as design is concerned, make sure the every club, every shot is used during around.... accomplish that with elevation changes and uneven lies.

Once the course is opened, focus on value and service.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2010, 07:09:32 PM »
I always thought if I had the money or resources I'd like to do it myself.

But being on this website has defintly taught me that doing it right and being able to get it right is a tooonn tougher than it looks.  I'd probably do something OK, but it would be nowhere good or even great or epic that I would want.

GCA.com has clearly smashed that pipe dream that I had for several years.    :'(  :'(  :'(

Mac Plumart

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »
Kalen...

if it is your land and you've got plenty of money and you want to do it...why not make it a growing/learning experience that can last for your entire life?

I think Pete and Alice's first course was in Indiana(?) and they said they didn't do a good job...BUT they learned a ton from that experience and now look at them.

So, if you have that dream...do it...how cool would that be? 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2010, 07:33:24 PM »
Kalen...

if it is your land and you've got plenty of money and you want to do it...why not make it a growing/learning experience that can last for your entire life?

I think Pete and Alice's first course was in Indiana(?) and they said they didn't do a good job...BUT they learned a ton from that experience and now look at them.

Mac,

I get what ur saying here, but coming from where I sit, I see it as a %'s game.  There is a lot of golf courses out there, most of which we as GCA'ers would label as absolute mediocre crap.  So if only a small % of courses were actually done right, and only a small % of actual archies actually got it right...it makes me accutely aware of my limitations.  Sure I'd like to think I was one of those teeny minorities who could get it done and build something epic.  But in the end I doubt it will result in nothing much more than "better than average, but nothing special"

I still have self belief, just also realize we can't all be rock-star archies with hoards of chicks following em from course to course!!   ;D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2010, 08:07:20 PM »
Kalen...

Fine to look at them, but what about looking at that first course?  In what shape is it?  Kalen will look fine, years after the course is built, but how will the course look?

That said, I like a romantic and a dreamer (being a teacher and all), so cut down the corn and build that field of dreams.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »
Ronald...

That is what I am talking about.  If it is someone's dream...do it.  Hole by hole...little by little...if you don't like aspects of it, change it over time until you've got it perfect.

It sounds good to me!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back