News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Chambers Bay Hole 12
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »

Par 4  304  HDCP  14

For lovers of the short par 4 you will love this one. Uphill with the punch bowl green tucked behind the ridge. Drivable for some players. Large bunker short left of the green. Huge green with nice movement.

Anthony

Eric Smith

Re: Chambers Bay Hole 12
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »
Nice looking hole, bet it's a blast to fire at that green.  Anyone in your group get on or near it from the tee?  Where does the hole rank for you with the others at CB?

And kudos with the post!  It's easy to see you've been using little Risa's seek and spell.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »
Fun hole with a crazy green.

My first time there I drove the green both times (the planets were aligned)

My second time there I slide it onto the path over the dunes to the right - hit a little wedge off the back bank and almost holed it for eagle on the way back - it hit the pin and then I promptly missed the 4 foot birdie putt (Rich Choi is my witness)

This hole has an "attainable heroic" factor which makes it even more enjoyable.

Not being able to see the green from the tee adds to the excitement - "Am I there? I wonder how close I am?"

Fun, fun, fun.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:44:50 PM »

How's that for a fun putt?  Somebody better mark that ball....that's about the line he needs to take.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »
Nice looking hole, bet it's a blast to fire at that green.  Anyone in your group get on or near it from the tee?  Where does the hole rank for you with the others at CB?

And kudos with the post!  It's easy to see you've been using little Risa's seek and spell.

My favorite par 4. 304 from the tips so for the mortals its 260. You just have to go for the green. The fairway lacks width to sat the least. Even if you are in trouble off the green the recovory in managable because of the punch bowl. Just gouge on over the ridge. Easy to three put this one. Correct Eric...my favorite par 4.

Anthony

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »
Matt, the wind is from behind which really helps on the tee shot. There is a NASTY bunker that guards the opening on the left side that will catch any drive that is not nailed. Any slice is going to be a big problem as you will either have a severe downhill lie or you will be on the other side of the mound and a completely blind shot to the green (which does not seem to bother Rob - hey, I get some credit for giving you a great line :) )

I don't know why but I seem to hit great tee shots on this hole. I probably hit the green about 80% of the time and birdie it about 1/3 of the time (1 eagle). And as you can see from the picture, even if you hit the green with your tee shot, a birdie is not a given as the green as more movements than any other green I have ever seen.

I think this would be a FAR better hole if the layup landing area was bigger. As it is, the layup is not that much easier than a driver to the green. It would even be a better hole if the fairway went up the leftside where there is a park right now.

Still it is a fun hole and a nice pace of change.

Brian Noser

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:48:48 PM »

How's that for a fun putt?  Somebody better mark that ball....that's about the line he needs to take.

Played this hole from the back tees when I played there.....man there is very little room to lay up or hit driver for that matter. it looks really tight from the tee and it is.  But it is a fun hole, in my only pay I drove the green to about 20 feet from the cup with a lip out for eagle. The pin was on the little shelf on the right about where the ball is in the 2nd pic. It will be interesting to see the pros play this hole.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
It seems to me that when long hitter and highly skilled players can hit a tee ball 8-I followed by 9-I approach as a layup, the LZ on the layup ought to be tough.  8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Richard Choi

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 02:11:53 PM »
It seems to me that when long hitter and highly skilled players can hit a tee ball 8-I followed by 9-I approach as a layup, the LZ on the layup ought to be tough.  8)

But the landing is smaller than any par 3 greensites on the course (and most of them are 8 iron shots). That makes very little sense to me.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 02:15:47 PM »
I don't know why but I seem to hit great tee shots on this hole. I probably hit the green about 80% of the time and birdie it about 1/3 of the time (1 eagle). And as you can see from the picture, even if you hit the green with your tee shot, a birdie is not a given as the green as more movements than any other green I have ever seen.

The hole fits your shot shape, so maybe it just suits your eye!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 02:25:07 PM »

On the hill above the green could possibly the best seat for The US Open.

Anthont

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »
I agree with Brush Tee Choi. If the lay up area was wider, there would be more of a choice. Now its bombs away...

It seems like everyone hits a good drive here for some reason.....

Might be a bitch of a par 3 in the US Open if they decide to do that.

Tom Yost

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 05:11:41 PM »
Any slice is going to be a big problem as you will either have a severe downhill lie or you will be on the other side of the mound and a completely blind shot to the green (which does not seem to bother Rob - hey, I get some credit for giving you a great line :) )

Didn't seem to bother you too much either!    8)

Rob Rigg

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
Rich,

Your help was much appreciate - I just wish that I had been able to get to the top of the mound to see it hit the flagstick.

I thought the fun was optimized by driving the green and having an eagle putt, I stand corrected, recovering from the path is even better :)

I think you got a boring birdie the day we played - soooo ho hum!  ;)

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
Rich and Sean,

I like that about #12.  The layup is too narrow, thereby compelling you to try and drive the green.  I think that makes the hole rather unique.  With most driveable par 4s, you just know you're playing with fire with the driver in your hand.  Here it's "WTF...Sean, could you go get the driver out of the bag for me, please?"

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 09:37:24 PM »
It seems a little dopey to me that the landing area is so narrow that few people even consider laying up.  It robs the hole of a great potential match play momentum-swing situation whereby one player lays up and the other goes for it but gets in trouble and the layer-upper wins the hole.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Rob Rigg

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »
Tim,

I can see your point - but the architect putting a gun to your head and forcing you to take driver on a short, uphill, par four is something you don't see very often and it is a nice change of pace - while it takes some of the strategy out of a match it really gets the heart rate up and forces both players to execute to have a shot at eagle or a two putt birdie.

You can hit a mid-iron up the gut if you want and then hit a wedge or something onto the huge green - pretty easy to get yourself there in two even though the landing area isn't big and the lie could be awkward. Then you are looking at a two putt part most of the time.

I think it is a great hole in stroke or match play because it is so different from the norm.

The par five that follows is a more conventional match play hole where going for it can provide big risk/reward. The turtle often ends up beating the hare on #13.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back