News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

April Feature Interview w/Mike Devries is posted
« on: April 09, 2002, 06:07:42 AM »
Of all the course profiles, the one that perhaps makes me want to go seek out the course the most is my brother's profile of The Kingsley Club.

The photographs and write-up make it sound TERRIFIC. Plus, two people with seemingly well thoughtout reasoning have argued that the delta in quality between Crystal Downs and The Kingsley Club isn't but so great  :o  Mike DeVries is the architect of that course, and as such, we are very pleased to be posting this Feature Interview.

Mike is on the road a good bit at the moment but will be responding to questions as time permits.

Cheers,

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tim_Weiman

Re: April Feature Interview w/Mike Devries is post
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 07:35:30 AM »
Ran:

Thanks again for an enjoyable and informative interview.  I don't see any other journalist - if I can call you that - approaching the quality of this work.

Mike DeVries:

I agree with your assessment about Western Gailes.  It is among the best places we rarely discuss.  As for wanting to see RM, that is number one on my list as well.

It was very nice to hear your comment on technology and design.  I couldn't agree with you more.  Maybe it takes exposure to a place like Crystal Downs to encourage clear thinking on this subject.

Tim Weiman

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2002, 08:12:03 AM »
Does anyone have an e-mail or phone number for Mike?  I have some questions to ask him regarding Crystal Downs.

Chris

brad_miller

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2002, 08:17:32 AM »
Having seen Mike's work at Meadow Club, it is wonderful!

Mike, a few questions, How much of CD's greens are the DR. and how much Maxwell?

Any chance of the Meadow club relocating the practice area that might allow for more strategic angles of play on 18, 12 and 10? It wasn't there oringinally?  Have always wondered why Mackenzie didn't allow for more width thru the meadow at Meadow Club, holes 17,16,6, 12, and 14 facing west, any thoughts? Keep on them about the trees.

I suspect when Mike's work is complete MC will be a total GCA type hidden gem and one of the best golf courses in CA.

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2002, 08:25:54 AM »

I suspect when Mike's work is complete MC will be a total GCA type hidden gem and one of the best golf courses in CA.

Brad, it's damn near that RIGHT NOW.  When DeVries' work is done, I'd guess it will reach Friar's Head/Rustic Canyon status on this site....

TH

brad_miller

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2002, 08:37:04 AM »
Tom, that's a mouthful, having seen FH, I don't think that will be the case, but I get your drift. With Mike's great green and bunker "restorations" only the trees and angles of play will hold it back.

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2002, 08:39:29 AM »
Yeah, you're right Brad - I ought not to get TOO carried away here.  But give someone of "right" mind a few days with a chain saw and hmmmm......  ;)

Damn I like that golf course.  It screams MacKenzie a hell of a lot more than Pasa does, to me anyway....

TH

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2002, 08:44:18 AM »
First, what a great interview, really thoughtful answers.

I ran out of time in California a few months ago, but Meadow Club was next on my list if I had another day.  I will hope to see it post-reno.

As for St. Charles, this is a course that intrigues me, Ross and Mackenzie in 18 holes.  It has always fared pretty well among Canadians (I believe 55th in the current top 100), but I will be truly interested to hear the feedback on that one.

If only Winnipeg were not a 25 hour car ride...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2002, 11:54:38 AM »
Mike has given one of the most detailed answer interviews of the series.  His openess and clear visions of what he wants to accomplish in his work is evident by what he says.  He is an all-around fine representative of his profession and certainly showed a group of us generous time and commitment to teach us a thing or two about Crystal Downs and Kingsley's somewhat related development from the ground and in the pub.  That was a memorable time for me and no doubt a number of our friends.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2002, 01:00:36 PM »

Dick,

In fact your questions to Mike were some of the highlights of the evening.  ;D :o ;)

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2002, 03:26:19 PM »
Having seen Diamond Spings and played Pilgrim's Run a year before it opened, I must say that Michigan is blessed with 2 gems. My dad actually worked with Mike and Kris at DS. Pilgrim's Run has a great new website that you can view alomost everyhole on the course and also abserve Mike's awesome bunkering-www.pilgrimsrun.comGreat interview from a great guy who's a traditionalist and will continue to leave his mark!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2002, 04:19:36 PM »
Excellent interview. How difficult was it determine what had been lost at the Meadow Club? Kingsley looks great - rugged and natural.

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2002, 04:40:30 PM »
Thanks Ran & Mike - another great interview. As much as I love the discussion board, sometimes I prefer to guest lost in the course profiles & feature interviews. Like choosing between Pine Valley & Cypress, I guess. :)

Since it probably embodies a dream that many of us have here on GCA, I was wondering if Mike or maybe Kris Shumaker would be willing to share some numbers associated with Diamond Springs - course construction costs, maintenance costs, etc. If they prefer not to, I certainly understand.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2002, 08:40:50 AM »
Many thanks to Ran for having me as the Feature Interview.  ;)

Tim, so when are we planning our trip to Royal Melbourne?  ;D

My phone is 231-933-9169 and e-mail is mike@devriesdesigns.com

The Downs greens are a great diverse collection of sites and their locations and the routing were chosen by MacKenzie, with Maxwell's assistance.  The front nine was completed in 1929 and those greens tend to be a bit more MacKenzieish while the back nine took several years to build (beginning of the Depression) and tend to be smaller and more severe in a Prairie Dune type style, so I believe that Maxwell had a bit more influence on the outcome of the back nine greens, but they all flow together very well.

Regarding Meadow Club, the range is getting more and more use every year and the need for practice space is important there, as it is elsewhere.  We are looking at ways to improve that situation, but there is not sufficient acreage elsewhere on the property to build a practice facility and so it will remain in its current location.  As to the cramped nature of the holes around it, we are exploring ways to improve them and the range without losing the MacKenzie qualities that are there -- a final decision has not been made on that so I would prefer not to comment more.  As to the five holes (17, 16, 6, 13, & 15) that are adjacent to each other -- originally, it was treeless between them and the Bon Tempe stream flowed between 6 and 16, allowing the player to choose his line to the hole ala the Old Course.  Now tree-lined, the holes are a bit cramped in places and so the strategy is different and complete elimination of the trees is impossible, due to sympathy for the trees and as a safety issue in some instances.  We have been assessing the health and appropriateness of the trees through a TreeWatch program at the club -- this is an open evaluation for tree care at the club, which provides notice of tree removal and why at the club and it works very well to educate the members about the course's trees.  As to the determination of what has been lost, etc. -- some of it is easier than others, but we have some good old aerials, pictures, original irrigation plans, and just the ground features that have not been disturbed by earthmoving to determine what has happened.  Then in the process of restoring, we use probes and analysis of the materials to see where an improved material has been used for greens, etc.  All together, these give us a good representation of the work and I am very pleased with how the holes are coming together.

As to the budget numbers at Diamond Springs, I can ask Kris if he would like to offer that.

Thanks for all the nice comments -- hope I didn't miss anybody's question!  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

brad_miller

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2002, 08:53:19 AM »
Mike, thanks, say hi to PH for me. Brad

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back