News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

An updated Cuscowilla course profile is posted...
« on: April 11, 2002, 08:38:24 PM »
...complete with 17 photographs, several of which are of the 5th hole that is being discussed in Noel's thread.

Hats off to Rusty Mercer and his crew for how the course is presently playing. Coore hasn't been back in several years but he would be DELIGHTED to see the ball chasing all over the place. Given the red clay that seems to be about, I don't know how hard it is to keep the course always playing fast and firm but it was in perfect shape last Sunday.

Noel, John and I all came away very impressed.

Cheers,

PS In one of the photos, there is a feature that exists that I surprises me. I wonder if it is retained because it's necessary or helpful for any maintenance reason or if it is something that could be removed. Can anyone spot what I'm refering to? Others might well like to see it stay - I have mixed emotions about it.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Gary Smith (Guest)

Re: An updated Cuscowilla course profile is posted
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 10:49:28 PM »
Being pretty familiar with the soils of the South, my guess is that the natural soil type of that area would be about 12-20 inches of sandy-loam topsoil, which would drain well, with the slower draining red clay as the sub-soil.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2002, 06:19:03 AM »
Ran,
Not the closely mown chipping areas?

Ben

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2002, 07:28:45 AM »
The cross-hatched mowing pattern can't be what you're talking about, so I'll guess the drainage grate next to the photo of the 15th green.

Andy Levett (Guest)

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2002, 08:27:06 AM »
Is it the posts apparently supporting the bunker face on the left hand side of the 1st? Are they used during construction and while the roots etc knit together?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2002, 08:53:58 AM »
I thought that was just tall fescue, but I've been wrong before.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2002, 10:05:14 AM »
Ben/Andy/Scott,

I was refering to the evergreens behind the 11th green as seen in the 4th pic on the second page of the course profile.

While they 'frame' the green and make the picture look nice, imagine the hole without them - it would be even more of a holy terror, I think! With no back drop to comfort the player and shield the wind, the golfer would be left with nothing but an unsettled feeling - very cool indeed for such a short hole.

Again, I don't know any of the extenuating circumstances(they can't be felled, there is a huge house in the background, whatever) but their existence struck me as curious.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2002, 11:17:44 AM »
Ran, I think you are right on with that observation.  That particular clump of trees doesn't even look native to the property.  They appear to be a clump of arbor vitae that were planted there.  I don't think they block out the tee of 12 as it appears the players exit 11 to left of green and that clump of trees.

While we are looking at that corner of the course; what do you all think the next picture of 12 tee view?  While it is hard to tell perspective and actual height of that last tree encoaching from the left, it doesn't seem to be desirable to me.  I could live with the other trees on left as still being a peripheral factor, but wonder what is the sense or temptation to try and drive one over the encroaching tree if it is as ominously in the ball flight as it appears in the photo?  As explained, the small and steeply canted green with cop bunker on right seems hazard enough, and without the tree, isn't the temptation even greater to give her a go, with same penal consequences if you miss the shot, without having to listen to the ball go knocking about the tree limbs?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2002, 11:30:33 AM »
In that light, then how about removing the birch(?) trees from behind the 10th green, which look like they're directly behind the green when playing from the fairway.

Even more so, remove the trees from behind the 8th green, with a clear view of the water behind (especially from left side of fairway), knowing the green falls away in the back.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2002, 11:40:23 AM »
It seems that the course is a masterful design and presentation of the ground game with wind applied strategy. Having the trees play a factor, whether as a visual backdrop or an aerial hazard, sort of runs contrary to the way the course appears to be designed to play. Of course I haven't played it and one really can't say these things definitively.  But, those pictures scream out Royal Melbourne as to the presentation of the holes before you with their angles, fairway to green rumples and amazing bunkers; and then there are these aerial annoyances that just seem to be out of place.  :-/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2002, 01:45:11 PM »
Scott,  The tree behind the 10th green is a beautiful specimen and adds to the landscape - I think you will agree once you see it in person. As for the 8th, Cuscowilla is a residential course and the pines help hide the homes along the 8th.

RJ, C&C like to use trees on occasion as we see both here and at Chechessee Creek. However, rarely are such holes among my favorites (i.e. I much prefer the treeless 4th at Chechessee to the 18th there and the treeless 1st at Cuscowilla to the treelined 7th). As for the 12th, I know what you're saying but the hole does play well (even short hitting me plunked one up and over the trees and a foot shy of the green). One of the pros made a curious statement to me - he said that he finds the 12th fairway so narrow that he doesn't see any percentage in laying back with an iron off the tee and thus, he always takes a swing with the driver. Having only played it once, I don't know if I necessarily agree with that statement or not. Perhaps others like Bob who have played it a bunch will comment on how they tend to play the 12th?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back