News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Re: Tobacco Road - An alternate view
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2010, 03:20:43 PM »
I don't believe anyone has mentioned the strength of the par 5's.  Typically par 5's are the weakest set of pars on a course.  I can't name another course I have played where the 5's stand out as much.  It has been stated the 3's are not that strong and I agree wholeheartedly.  As the uniqueness of TR is discussed, one cannot ignore that the par 5's are one of the reasons.

Exactly...the par-5s are outstanding.  You'll only find a hole like 1 in Ireland and that's what Mike said he was going for - a little Ballybunion.  11 is a terrific risk reward hole, and 13 is just super.  It's unique.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »
Kevin

Thanks for the congrats. 

Check out this link.  From the forward tee it is a diagonal shot to the fat part of the fairway over the waste.  One can layup directly in front of the tee and short of the hill - sort of a putzy shot if you ask me - just kick it out there.  Or, one can drive blindly over the hill and a bunker the other side - think Alps.  And as you say, its a straight shot up the gut between the hill and the waste, but this is quite narrow and imo just as penal as the other options all will eventually be.  My suggestion for a tee left still requires a carry, but nothing close to 100 yards.  It is still penal, but from that angle the green could well be in sight off the tee - which usually gives extra confidence to my "grandma".  Of course, there doesn't have to be an easy street for my grandma, but on a public course, it isn't a bad idea.  All in all, I am not overly keen on this drive because its nothing for the flat bellies to make the carry and it seems to hinder the short hitting player more even if playing from the forward tees.  In other words, there really isn't a safe route for a slash master to seek a reasonably easy 5/6.  I am not against this from a philosophical PoV, but if it were my course, I would be against it from a hitting my bottom line PoV.

http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/hole2.html

Ciao

Look at the attached pics from the front tee and from the back tees.  From the front tee, it looks like you really don’t have to mess around with the sand, if you don’t want to.

When you mentioned bringing the tee to the front left of waste area, I assumed you would keep the same distance of the hole (300 yards).  Since the area just over the ”heroic” part of the hazard is 150-160 yards from the green, that would mean a carry for grandma of 140 or so yards.  If you were thinking 100 yard carry, then we’d be talking about a Par 4 of 260 yards of so, which is difficult to design into a course and still be challenging to “flat bellies” (of which I’m not).

Instead of making the hole a 260 yard “easy street”, Strantz stills gives a higher handicapper multiple choices (some of which can be easy).

A)  a chance to lay-up short of the bunker on the right (160 yard shot followed by a 140 yard blind approach).

B)  If you consider 160 yards a “putzy” shot, then you should have no problems if you aim a little over the sand left and try to hit the fat part of the fairway

C)  Or try to be a real hero and thread a fade around the sand on the right

Now, from the back tees, I think you are right that the lay-up options are a little more difficult, but it’s still there.  When I played this, I had a hard time visualizing the lay-up to the right, but you can see a decent lay-up area once you look at it from the front tee (again, Strantz and the “visual hazard”).  I really can’t see how this would fail to qualify as an easy 5/6, even for a short hitter, since it tops out at 377 yards.

I think this hole is almost the reverse of #5, in that the “hero” gets a bigger landing area than the person laying up on #2, while #5 makes it much easier to lay-up.  I like that type of variety.  But in either case, I couldn’t call the holes penal, because there is always an option given.

As for someone who can “easily” make the carry, they don’t exactly get a free-ride.  If a 215 yard carry is “easy” for you, then there’s a very real possibility you may run out of fairway or be blocked out if you pull to the left side of the fairway (Ron will attest).

For the “slasher” you described, I think he can easily try the lay-up to the right (once he can visualize the shot).  But if the 175-210 yard carry from the back sets of tees is right at the edge of his limits, then I think that makes this hole even better.  Say the “slasher” can pull off the carry 3 out of 10 times.  I’d say “go for it” for the chance to pull off the shot.  But if you miss the shot (say 10-15 yards short), it’s not like there’s a fatal penalty.  Likely, you’d be in some fairly hard sand, in the range of 170 yards from the hole.  At that point, you can try to be a hero & hit a hybrid at the green or advance the ball 100 yards & still be in a fairly easy position to make bogey. 

And that’s why the nature of the hazard is the most important thing to me.  If the waste area was all water, I’d hate this hole, because coming up marginally short meant you had to try the carry again (which may be a bit much to ask from the everyday player).

From what I can gather, I think your concern seems to be that this hole “reverses” the size of the landing area for the “safe” vs. “bold” shots, which may be a reasonable criticism, if all the holes were like that.  But, as #5 shows, there is a variety.

John Moore II

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2010, 02:55:57 AM »
I don't believe anyone has mentioned the strength of the par 5's.  Typically par 5's are the weakest set of pars on a course.  I can't name another course I have played where the 5's stand out as much.  It has been stated the 3's are not that strong and I agree wholeheartedly.  As the uniqueness of TR is discussed, one cannot ignore that the par 5's are one of the reasons.

I don't think they are one of the strengths, but thats just me. I am not the biggest fan of the par 5's.

Sean A: Yes, they need to build a new par 3 between 12 and 13. They've got a good bit of land area there, but I am not sure if the course owns it. They could build a 200+ yard par 3 there, a long par 3 is one of the few things they lack on the course (since they closed the back tee on 14). And build another tee for #13 (would be #14) way back there too. Make it more difficult for the better players playing the far back tees. I actually made a picture of what I had in mind a while back, might try to look it up later today.

Brian Freeman

« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2010, 12:59:08 PM »
I also agree with the concept of building a new #13 between #12 and the existing #13 area, assuming we would: 1) make it 200+ from the tips to provide balance to the course, great idea there, and 2) does that pull #17 out of the routing? 

However - how in the world would one ever go about the process of getting such a hole approved and built?  Might be the golfing equivalent of hosting The Price Is Right after Bob Barker - such a hole would have to be simply a masterpiece and hold true to the rest of the design, possibly with several teeing grounds and another huge multi-tiered green.

Next time I'm down there I'll try to remember to take a few pictures of the surrounds of that area.  Such a design might not have any chance of actually happening, but it sure would make for a great armchair architect competition.

#18 IMO is a far superior hole from the existing back tee vs. the up tee so the additional side benefit is an expanded tee area as the existing #17 box could be further utilized and used as a relief tee for the existing one.  There's also an option for a tiger tee in the 475+ yd range, but I don't know if that would make the hole any better or just tougher.

John Moore II

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2010, 07:24:13 PM »
Brian, I think you could actually make a new par 3 in the range of 250 yards if you put the tee area directly behind the 12th green in line with the line of play on that hole. That would make for a good hole. As far as the 17th, most likely it would just be a 19th hole if it wasn't plowed over. And the idea for 18, I honestly think that might make the hole unplayable. 475+ yards would be a real beast for that hole and I'm not sure the fairway would be reachable from a back tee for many players, including the ones who would be playing from back there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back