News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Re: Royal Queensland Golf Club - Photo Essay
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2010, 05:03:25 AM »
Cheers Michael

A tip re: Photobucket - try the bulk uploader then move them direct to folders it makes it easier to track where they all are  8)

Emil Weber

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2010, 06:58:59 AM »
Micheal,

The tour is still enjoyed and followed by us, although there might not be a lot of commentary. One of the best photo tours ever since I've been on here, thanks!

Michael Taylor

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2010, 01:19:13 AM »
Email,

;D It's MICHAEL not MICHEAL!!!  :D

Kevin,

Thanks a lot mate. I got it figured out now. Photo tour will be complete tonight. :)

Also I know I've already mentioned it, but 14-17 are such a good stretch of holes. Maybe even my favorite stretch I've ever played.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2010, 01:46:25 AM »
15th hole: 353m (390y), Par 4, Index 9.

This is one of my favorite holes on the golf course. The tee shot is quite intimidating as there is water on both sides, and for good measure, a bunker in the of the fairway just past the 'narrow neck'. The green is quite interesting as it has a ridge on the front left portion that deflects balls everywhere, quite like the one found at the 4th hole at The Lakes. There are 2 bunkers protecting the green, and from memory, the bunker on the right isn't visible on your 2nd shot.

Also it's pretty weird because the hole plays a lot longer than it looks. I hit 5i off the tee that looked like it went about 120m.

Tee shot. It was very tough for me to get this shot as I was standing down on the rocks in the river!  ;D Talk about commitment.  :)

Don't know what to call this. Sort of like a gouge out in the water hazard..?

2nd shot. 'Gouge out' on left. And that bunker on the fairway I was on about earlier.

Close look of the green.

Photo of the grenside bunker. In background is 6th hole green.

Another look of the bunker.

And as per usual, my looking back shot.

Next hole isn't as good as this one, but it's a very fun par 5 nevertheless!

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2010, 02:14:57 AM »
16th hole: 519m (580y), Par 5, Index 13.

This continues the theme of the last hole of having water on both sides. The tee shot isn't anywhere near as intimidating though since it must be about 100 metres wide!! Although there are 2 bunkers in the middle of the fairway to make you think that little more.
The closer you get to the green, the narrower the fairway gets. So I suggest you stay quite aways back or go for it in 2. There is one fairway bunker 50m short of the green on the left to contend with, and missing that is of utmost importance. Then there are 4 bunkers around the green (and miss the first one on the right..trust me :'(). There is quite a severe drop off over the back of the green which isn't the place to miss either. (Trust me on that again ::)).

Tee shot.

Just short of the centerline bunkers.

Down the middle of the fairway in the 'go zone'.

From the middle of the fairway, looking to the LHS. Note my playing partner.  ;D

About 200m short of the green, near the water on the right.

90m short of the green.

The greenside bunkers.

From over the green.

And looking back to the tee.

Damn I took a lot of photos for this hole!

Anyway the next hole is my favorite long par 3 in golf.

Pup

Emil Weber

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2010, 05:08:14 AM »
michAEl,

Sorry mate ;D

For some I reason I'm not a big fan of the 15th. Probably because it's the only hole I didn't "get". Lay-up is an option, but go to the left side of the fairway and your approach will be deflected by the mound. Going right isn't really an option because of the bunkers.

I think 16 is a very good par-5 and the fairway is huge, but there's no real reason to go left of the bunkers.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2010, 05:16:48 AM »
Emil,

I'd say going right is an option considering how far out that bunker really is.. It's 285m to get to it mate, by no means a short drive.

Being from NSW I must admit that I do love a nice scenic hole, and the 15th provides that as well. Also I reckon that mound is a nice little feature, because you'd either have to hit a long drive to have a high lofted shot over it, or stay back and hit a running shot. It's golf..a quirky feature here and there never killed anybody.  ;D

I might not be able to get 17/18 up tonight cause of (actual) homework, but I'll do my best.  :)

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:30 AM »
17th hole: 208m, Par 3, Index 7.

This is my favorite par 3 on the course, and also one of my favorites in all of golf. It is just a wonderful hole and although it's a par 3, there is still an element of risk reward on the one shot. There are 4 bunkers protecting the green, and a diagonal water hazard that will be a worry for the long markers considering it's a 160m carry. The green is one of the biggest on the course and one of my favorites aswell.

Photo from 16th green with the 17th hole looming behind that tree.

Tee shot.

Plaque next to the bridge.

My favorite photo I took that day.  :) You like it?  :D

The only thing wrong with the entire golf course!! Water in a bunker..blasphemy!  :o

;D

From just over the water from the LHS.

And I just realised I didn't get a photo looking back..Fuck. Sorry folks.

Next hole will probably be up in an hour, albeit not with a lot of words cause I've got shitloads of homework.  ;D

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2010, 06:00:49 AM »
18th hole: 525m (590y), Par 5, Index 15.

And so we come to the majestic finishing hole, a freaking long par 5..

The great thing about this hole is there (as per usual) are many options on each shot you hit. There is a shallow bunker sitting in the middle of the fairway 226m out that forces you to think your shot again. Negotiating that there is one bunker down the right at 251, and another down the left as 260m. On the 2nd shot you face a similar prospect to the tee shot. There is another bunker in the middle of the fairway 50m shot of the green, a bunker on the left 60m short (and a water hazard further left), and then a water hazard on the right (the same one in play on the 3rd). You really have to hit your 2nd shot out the right to have an easy pitch along the length of the green, otherwise be faced with a delicate pitch over 3 bunkers to the narrowest portion of the green, if you err too far away from that water..

Tee shot. (Another of my favorite photos.)  :)

240m out from the tee, in the middle of the fairway.

Middle of the fairway, 75m out.

From just short of the green.

And the final photo of the day, looking back along the wonderful 18th.

And so we conclude our tour of Royal Queensland Golf Club. I hope you all enjoyed reading it, and I also hope you can appreciate what a wonderful course Mr. Clayton has built here.

Thank you,

Pup

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:19:58 AM by Michael Taylor »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2010, 06:14:56 AM »
Michael

Thanks for the photo tour. I look forward to seeing it for myself one day and comparing it not just to the original but the work that Mike has done elsewhere.

Appreciate you taking the time out of your studies to share same - now get back to the books  ;D

Michael Taylor

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2010, 06:40:13 AM »
Your welcome Kevin.

If anybody has any questions, or anything to add, then feel free.

Also Mike, I can't get those photos to upload onto my photobucket. So unless you really want them posted here, I won't bother. I'll speak to my dad though if you want em uploaded.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2010, 12:16:12 AM »
Just some photos of the 2 spare holes.

130m Par 3 (145y). To the left of the 13th hole.

Another 125m spare hole.

Well that's all 20 holes done.  :)

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2010, 12:41:05 AM »
Hey MC,

Do you have a personal favorite hole at RQ?

Also do you often play courses after you re-design them?

Pup

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2010, 07:09:27 AM »
Mike.

I like the short par four,3rd and the longer 14th.
I think 18 is a really interesting par five to play.
I play our courses quite a bit - I played five of six rounds at Karrinyup last year,I am playing RQ next week for the first time in a year and I was at The Lakes today.
Obviously I play all the courses in Melbourne a lot - althought I need to play a full 18 at Healesville some time soon.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2010, 07:15:21 AM »
I agree on the 3rd and 14th. However the 18th was not my favorite of the par 5's. I really enjoyed the 6th and 16th moreso than 18.

Also what is your favorite of the par 3's? The 17th would have to be my favorite long par 3 anywhere! And that's saying a lot..

Pup

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2010, 03:24:20 PM »
Mike.

AI think all the short holes turned out well - and you have to hit much different shots. The precise 9 iron at 8 is a difficult shot and fun to hit. At 13 the best shot is a little fade and 17 aaks for a draw and it is better to hit a quite high shot into the 2nd.
You need to see 16 west at Royal Melbourne - as soon as you do it will be your favourite long three!

Michael Taylor

« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
I have played RMW, Mike.

I wasn't blown away by the course at all, however as I've said before, I need to get back there to really have an opinion on the course.

Regardless, 17 RQ is still my favorite long par 3.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2010, 06:28:16 AM »
Mike,
It is an interesting question.
If the architect (MCGD) of a hole - in this case, the 17th at RQ suggests another hole -  the 16th West -  is better - does that make the 16th better.Or could the architect be wrong?
I really like 17 and think it is a fine hole - but 16 west is among the best 200 yard plus holes I have ever played

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2010, 06:43:56 AM »
I think Pup played Sandringham that day, as it would appear he doesn't like any holes at RMW!

17 at RQ is a real cracker though.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:45 AM »
Mike,

Favorite holes, and Architecture in general is only opinion. You may percieve another hole to be better than another, but that is only what you (people in general) think.

In this case I believe 17 RQ to be a better hole than 16 RMW. However I (I'm going to get crucified here..) reckon that every hole at RMW is "the' best in it's category, even if it's not a great hole. E.g The 10th hole RMW is a drivable par 4, that IMO isn't one of the greatest drivable par 4's out there. Yet people always say what a great hole it is (and is still a fine hole, but cmon.. there is no temptation at all to go for it).

Anyway RQ 17 > RMW 16.

;)

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2010, 06:57:22 AM »
Andrew,

I still enjoyed my game at RMW, but for the life of me I cannot see how any sane person would consistantly rank it as THE BEST in the country. It's all opinion and that is mine..

Anyway I like these holes at RM.

2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17  Standouts for me are 2, 6, 9 and 17.

RMW is a nice course, but christ, the best course in the country it certainly is not.

Pup

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »
Holes I like at RMW

Never had big soft spots for 1 or 15, but they are still ok.

I've played a bit of golf around the world and 2 through 6 is among the best stretch of holes I have played anywhere.

Instead of debating it in an RQ thread, go and read some of the very good threads on RM on this very site.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37942.0/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8014.0/

And a good thread on #3 to explain why it's so good.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42821.0/

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »
I had the good fortune of playing Mike's redesign of this course recently and are very impressed with what he's produced.

Plenty of width off the tee, immense interest around the greens and superb use of the wetlands area. Certainly a vast improvement on what was there previously and I'd recommend one include it on an itinerary if they were considering a trip to Qld.

On a relatively flat site - a great example of what an obviously skilled architect can produce.

Well done Mike - I look forward to seeing what OCGD can produce ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back