News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Trent Dixon

Re: Royal Queensland Golf Club - Photo Essay
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 06:24:12 AM »
Mark,

10 years ago, the hospitality would have been the only memorable thing about the place.

It has changed substantially and is now a wonderful course, finally Brisbane has a decent course to be proud of, which is great for us residents who have lived in this wasteland for close to 15 years now.

It's truely a completely different layout to what was there before, with and outstanding focus on placement from the tee and many interesting shots around the greens.  Considering the flat swampland it's built on (admittedly with better sandy soil than most would realise) it is a fantastic result.  The strength of the course is the varierty of options you encounter on every hole all the way frome tee to green.  I've only been out there 3 times since the layout was completed, but will be out again this week and very much look forward to seeing how it has settled in.

Not sure I'd bracket it anywhere near RM though, it never really stood a chance given the site it's built on, it really isn't taking anything away from the course to admit it's significantly behind RM.

Saying the hospitality was the only memorable thing is maybe a tad harsh. The old 14th was easily the best par 3 in Brisbane, and probably in the top 4 or 5, behind only a couple at KH and RM that i've played. I remember hitting anything from a wedge to a 4 iron into that tiny little green.

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 08:02:22 AM »
You're right, the old 14th was a good hole, made even better by what surrounded it.  No question the best Par 3 in Brisbane, but probably well outside the best dozen in Australia all things considered.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 08:36:41 AM »
5th hole: 456m, par 4 (510 yards), Index 4 (seriously should be index 1).

The 5th hole is an immensely difficult and long par '4'. It measures a total of 456m and certainly plays at it's full distance. I think it's a pretty good hole because you have to shape your shots here to succeed. I would think that it is a 'switchback' hole because you need a draw off the tee to avoid a tree, and a fade on your approach to avoid another tree.

The drive is tough enough as it is, so I'm glad that there is no fairway bunkering here. There are only 2 fairway bunkers on the course and only one is really in play, the other seems quite arbitrary.

The green is pretty nice, however I think it's better when it's a backish pin on the right as it then starts to slope away from you, making distance control imperative. There are 3 bunkers over the back of the green, which almost serve as a backstop since there is water 20m over the green.

That tree on the left is very much in play, so a drawed shot is a must. Or you can just hit a high cut like me over it.  :D

Tee shot from 456m (510y):

White tees from 408m (450y):

Here is the shot from the middle of the fairway. That tree there is blocking your direct route. The green is in line with that bunker on the right side of the fairway (the one I think is useless).

After a 290m (320y) drive, this is what your left with. Also the green on the left side is only 14m deep, so getting a ball there is nigh on impossible.

From here we have 100m to get to the green.

About 30m short of the green.

There are quite a lot of these 'finger' bunkers around RQ. I like them.

And looking back to the tee.

Pup

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 09:12:34 AM »
the bunkering looks magnificent and the green complexes s far viewed very impressive..great job Mr C;ayton.
What type of grass is on the fairways and greens?

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 09:18:28 AM »
I believe the fairways are blue couch, which is obviously rather unusual  :)

Trent Dixon

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 03:58:30 AM »
the bunkering looks magnificent and the green complexes s far viewed very impressive..great job Mr C;ayton.
What type of grass is on the fairways and greens?

The club chose to stick with Queensland Blue Couch and Bermuda 328. RQ's fairways look like a carpet most of the time, but the greens have had some thatch and grain problems, although that's to be expected from new greens.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 04:35:09 AM »
6th hole: 496m (560y), Par 5, Index 8.

The 6th hole is the 2nd par 5 of the front 9 and is the last par 5 you will encounter for 10 more holes.

This is a relatively easy par 5 and I don't think it should rate as hard as number 8. There are numerous hazards to be avoided on the tee shot however, with bunkers right, middle, trees left, and a water hazard along the right. The bunkers are 196 to carry the one on the right, and 229 the get past the one in the middle. As usual, there is quite a lot of fairway to the side of the centerline bunkers, with the better line down the right side (IMO).

The 2nd shot is pretty tough with water down the right, bunkers in the middle, and trees to the left. As usual, there are many options to choose from on the 2nd shot such as, go down the right side near the water, past the bunkers near the green, short of them all, or keep it out to the left.

The green has one bunker on the front right side and the green is 2 tiered with run offs over the back and sides. The green is 28 metres deep so it is one of the larger ones on the course.

Tee shot:

Down the middle of the fairway, 170m from the tee.

From a good drive down the right side of the fairway. 250m (280y) to the green.

From 80m out, near the 2 centerline bunkers you have to negotiate with your 2nd shot.

The approach from the left side of the fairway. It's probably better to hit your 2nd here as you don't have to hit over any bunkers and you have the full length of the green to hit to.

And looking back to the tee.

And The Valley Club of Montecito seems to have found it's way here. There's a couple of these shaved areas around the course where it goes from the green, to fairway, and the tees are basically an extension of the fairway. I hope I'm not wrong but I think that's a feature used a TVC?

Pup

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:15:06 AM by Michael Taylor »

Michael Taylor

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
Trent,

You are indeed correct the greens are Bermuda 328. However the day I played there the green were great, albeit a little bit slow.

Sorry I didn't post a hole today. I'll do 2 tomorrow to make up for it.  :)

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
7th hole: 350m (390y), Par 4, Index 12.

The 7th hole is one of the best holes on the course, and features one of the most unique greens I've ever played on. It's a shortish-medium length dogleg left with 2 bunkers down the right side at 265m (300y) and 280m (320y). There is also a massive fig tree guarding the inside of the dogleg, so you have to keep your T shot out to the right (which leaves you the better angle anyway). The green looks like a biarritz and the left side has another 'gouge' that funnels balls off the green.

The best line on the tee shot is a little bit right of the left edge of the waste bunker.

From the inside of the dogleg, with about 160m to go.

240m from the tee, on the left side of the fairway. This is what your left with. Green looks unremarkable from here, but look at the next photo.

'Gouge' in the green.

And looking back to the tee..

Next hole is a lovely little postage stamp par 3.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 06:25:48 PM »
Feel free to comment or ask questions guys. Lets get a discussion going here. :)

Pup

Rob Rigg

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2010, 06:40:29 PM »
Does it seem like the trees are overtly used to dictate strategy or is there enough room on most of the holes to play your stock shot although you may be a little challenged in terms of position on the next stroke?

I am not a fan of trees dictating strategy, especially repeatedly, but the presence of trees to punish shots that should be punished is obviously fine - JMO.

At this point it looks like the 5th is the only hole where trees really dictate how to play?

Again, the bunkering are greens are very interesting - the use of cross hazards is something sorely under utilized on this side of the pond.

Also, I love the flourescent yellow golf ball - that is awesome!

Duncan Betts

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »
Robb,

Trees do not influence or dictate strategy anywhere on the golf course, in fact the course is incredibly wide open where play takes place.  The fairway width is in the same class as St. Andrews Beach.

I would have to disagree with young Michael here and say that even on the 5th hole, the trees don't really have any influence at all, unless you go well offline, the pictures taken don't paint an accurate picture of how that hole plays.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »
Is the back part of the 7th green relatively flat?  It appears that way in the photo.

Duncan Betts

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 12:40:04 AM »
No, the back of the 7th isn't particularly flat at all, it has a bit of a hump in the middle part of that 'shelf'

Matt Day

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »
I asked this question at another forum but its more relevant here

what's the thought process in having a 456 metre par 4 on a members course, or is that tee for tournament play?

Duncan Betts

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 01:04:23 AM »
Hi Matt,

The hole plays downwind 90% of the time, has a large accessable green and wide fairway.  Only the tournament (black tees) are 456m and they are rarely out.  The hole is closer to 400m from the regular tee, and considering the above factors, plays much shorter than that.

It could play as a short Par 5, but it really doesn't matter if it's a Par 5 or a Par 4 does it?  Quite often I find it's the 1/2 par holes that are the most enjoyable on many golf courses, this one probably doesn't fit that category, but the 3rd and the 17th do and they are both exceptional holes.

Matt Day

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 01:15:26 AM »
Hi Matt,

The hole plays downwind 90% of the time, has a large accessable green and wide fairway.  Only the tournament (black tees) are 456m and they are rarely out.  The hole is closer to 400m from the regular tee, and considering the above factors, plays much shorter than that.

It could play as a short Par 5, but it really doesn't matter if it's a Par 5 or a Par 4 does it?  Quite often I find it's the 1/2 par holes that are the most enjoyable on many golf courses, this one probably doesn't fit that category, but the 3rd and the 17th do and they are both exceptional holes.
Thanks Duncan, agree on the half pars.

I was going to ask that question in regards to the short par 5 option as the next hole is a 496 metre par 5. Does that hole play into the wind or are both holes in the same direction?

Duncan Betts

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 01:28:54 AM »
The 6th hole plays into the prevailing breeze and is in the complete opposite direction.  I had never really though about it, but it's likely the decision not to play it as a short 5, is because it would then be followed by a long 5 going back the other way.

David_Elvins

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 01:47:01 AM »
Pup,

Great thread.  

Was just speaking to Mark Ferguson and he wanted to know the carry distance on the fairway bunker.  Hopefully the hole is down wind when he is playing there.  :)

Seriously though, pretty interesting place for a bunker. What did you think of it?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Trent Dixon

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 02:34:22 AM »
The seventh green would have to be the most polarizing on the course. I've probably played there a dozen times since it opened and I'm still not sure if I like it or not. They have had great difficulty cutting the hollow in it with a triplex mower, the first time I played there were tyre tracks in the green and a bit of a gouge from the mower. I think if the greens are rolling well, with a decent speed and it would be fine, but with thatch and grain it probably doesn't play as intended.

Pup,

Great thread. 

Was just speaking to Mark Ferguson and he wanted to know the carry distance on the fairway bunker.  Hopefully the hole is down wind when he is playing there.  :)

Seriously though, pretty interesting place for a bunker. What did you think of it?

haha, let him know it's a waste area and that from what i've read he won't reach it  ;D

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 02:47:20 AM »
Matt,

The back tee at 5 is for tournaments only - and in the winter when the big fig on the corner affects the turf quality right where good drives go off the back par four tee.
For a few months the fairway is not great and off the back tee the turf in the driving area is much better.
Ideally the tree would have gone but it is a great tree and there was no chance of taking it down.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 03:11:00 AM »
Does it seem like the trees are overtly used to dictate strategy or is there enough room on most of the holes to play your stock shot although you may be a little challenged in terms of position on the next stroke?

I am not a fan of trees dictating strategy, especially repeatedly, but the presence of trees to punish shots that should be punished is obviously fine - JMO.

At this point it looks like the 5th is the only hole where trees really dictate how to play?

Again, the bunkering are greens are very interesting - the use of cross hazards is something sorely under utilized on this side of the pond.

Also, I love the flourescent yellow golf ball - that is awesome!

That yellow ball is called a 'Vision' ball! Try it. ;)

I'd say the 5th hole is the only hole where trees really dictate strategy. However on the 7th, that tree on the left shouldn't really be in play unless you hit a short tee shot, or keep to far to the left. So I think it's a reasonable penatly for hitting it to the wrong side.

I agree with your 1st point however the 5th and 7th are really the only examples of trees being 'in play.'

Matt Day

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2010, 03:13:07 AM »
Mike
thanks for that.

With the bunker edges is their a plan in place to maintain them as built or will they evolve over time. I noticed in one photo you can see where the stolons are already running into the bunker.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2010, 03:22:53 AM »
Robb,

Trees do not influence or dictate strategy anywhere on the golf course, in fact the course is incredibly wide open where play takes place.  The fairway width is in the same class as St. Andrews Beach.

I would have to disagree with young Michael here and say that even on the 5th hole, the trees don't really have any influence at all, unless you go well offline, the pictures taken don't paint an accurate picture of how that hole plays.

I would say the trees are an influence because you have to work the ball around both of them. You can't hit a dead straight both shots and expect to get the green.

And Mike if it were only for championships then it's a bit unusual that the tee markers were there on a monday, which is just social..

BTW can I multiquote so I don't have to post to reply to every person? If so, how?

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2010, 03:57:34 AM »
Dave,

thats not a bunker, I guess you'd call it a waste area, but I actually think it might be left over from the old layout and there probably isn't a need to fill it in?

Pup,

That tree on the left of 5 from the back tee is only in play if you tee your ball up on the extreme left of the very wide tee block.  I would consider it not in play at all, except for players who play with a consistent slice and allow for it on every tee shot!

The tree on the corner for the approch is ver much a factor though, if you hit it down the right, but most wouldn't hit it far enough down there to be blocked by it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back