News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alfonso Erhardt

Re: How many rounds of golf
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »
About 80 rounds in total, starting on Jan. 10 and last round on Dec. 13. I would consider in line with other years.

- 22 rounds corresponded to tournament play (only valid ones for hcp purposes in Spain).
 - Only 8 rounds played outside Spain, in two different trips to Scotland.
 - Played 17 different courses in Spain, although 80% of rounds were on clubs where I am a member (2)
 - Only 5 new courses played, which is lower than usual.
 - Walked all rounds (except for August in southern Spain, where walking is out of the question)

John Foley

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »
about 25 incuding a few w/ my daughters and a couple quick 9's late it the day.

Thats about the range for the last 5 years (and about 2X what it was for the 5 before that!).

To play more I need either need to:

A - Get a new job
B - Spend less time w/ the familly
C - Stop coaching basketball, softball & soccer

100+ rounds a year is just beyond my comprehension!

I do have a range pass and try to hit balls at least once a week which helps w/ the sanity.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Chris Cupit

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »
Did you play in 2009?  It seems an appropriate question, given its the "polling" time of year.  (IE--GCA'er equipment thread is curently running strong.)

2 comments in advance:

1)  I think the NGF, or some such ruling body, defines an "avid golfer" as someone playing 25+ rounds of golf annually.  Something tells me that number is ridiculously low on this board.

2)  That said, I'm curious if there are some seriously high numbers out there.  It seems many regular DG posters are either youngish men with growing families and demanding jobs, which would limit their time on the GC.  Or conversely, some who are getting older, and maybe beset by maladies or nagging injuries that keep them off the GC more than they'd like.

Anyway---for those who have counted and care to share, what's the scoop?

Joel,

Hope all is well and I am enjoying my Pete Dye book tremendously!
I and some others did a powerpoint for the GSGA last year and I am almost certain NGF defines an avid golfer as one playing 8 rounds (!) a year which seems silly.

ANyway, my number in 2009 was just 12 rounds but I have already scheduled a January trip to get that number way up for 2010.

Walter Bart

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2010, 05:02:49 PM »
Between April and mid December I played 41 times , about half were  9 holes rounds.   All in New England, except four rounds at Dornoch for good measure.    I actually played as many rounds in November as in June or July ! (Something about the end of the season to generate your interest)

Ron Csigo

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2010, 05:20:11 PM »
My number of rounds played has dramatically decreased over the last 3 years since the twins were born.  However, I feel very fortunate to have played 27 rounds in 2009, which also included a couple of golf trips. 
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2010, 05:22:53 PM »
An even 52 rounds. Usually once a week, a colder winter last year here was offset by a 2 weeks when the family went away for a week to visit in-laws and produced weeks of 3-5 rounds.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »
153 rounds, which includes rounds less than 18 holes, 129 new courses, 20 states.

That is a fantastic ratio of rounds to new courses played...I've never heard of such an efficiency before!

Joel,

Hope all is well and I am enjoying my Pete Dye book tremendously!
I and some others did a powerpoint for the GSGA last year and I am almost certain NGF defines an avid golfer as one playing 8 rounds (!) a year which seems silly.

ANyway, my number in 2009 was just 12 rounds but I have already scheduled a January trip to get that number way up for 2010.

Thank you for the kind words, Chris.  Your number is sickeningly low, considering you own your own GC, and belong to a world-beater just a few hours up the pike across the TN state line.  Get busy in 2010!

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »

We'll get you going in the right direction this year.

My number is 3 rounds...

so far in 2010

Ron Csigo

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »

My number is 3 rounds...

so far in 2010

Thanks for rubbing it in, Kyle.   ;)
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »

My number is 3 rounds...

so far in 2010

Thanks for rubbing it in, Kyle.   ;)

Book a flight and come on down...

Brock Peyer

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2010, 09:07:10 PM »
I played 15 times which is about my average, I would be happy if I could get in 20 times.  Two small kids, a wife in Grad school and working 6 days a week doesn't add up to much free time.  It was a good year, I can't decide on the highlight of the year for me, hadf a hole in one and played mostly quality courses.  I am ready to play in 2010.

Steve Lang

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »
 8) >100

highlights: the mines with grandpa joe & Chris DeNegris, a return to kingsley and talking with mike d and goofing with shivas and others, playing versus looking at forest dunes, belvedere with double barky sparky, ballyneal with the colton party, and WIld Horse with Adam Claydude

lowlight: seeing the NO TRESPASSING sign at Highpointe
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:28:24 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2010, 12:53:13 AM »
I played one round of golf this year; that is, if playing in a scramble is considered a round of golf.

Carlyle

P.S. I mean I played one round in 2009.  I haven't played in 2010 yet ;-)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:54:56 AM by Carlyle Rood »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »
Played 8 times in a 2 week visit to St Andrews in August... Other than that, probably managed about 8 other rounds all year...

So I'll go with 16....

Michael Taylor

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2010, 08:47:15 AM »
I played 131 rounds of golf in 2009 and 4 so far in 2010.  8)

Courses I played at, in order of state were:

NSW: Castle Hill GC, NSWGC, Magenta Shores , Newcastle GC, Macquarie Links GC, Royal Sydney GC, Bardwell Valley GC, Cumberland GC, Pennant Hills GC, Strathfield GC, Eastlake GC, Ryde-Parramatta GC, New Brighton GC, Marrickville GC, Oatlands GC, Parramatta GC, Bayview GC, St Michaels GC, Macarthur Grange GC, Campbelltown GC, Monash CC, Cromer GC, Mona Vale GC, The Coast GC, Gosford GC, Twin Creeks GC, Bonnie Doon GC, North Ryde GC, Wollongong GC, Port Kembla GC, Grange GC, Jamberoo GC, Kiama GC, Avondale GC, Wakehurst GC, Elanora CC, Terry Hills GC, Cronulla GC.

ACT: Royal Canberra, Gold Creek and Federal GC.

VIC: Royal Melbourne, National Old, Kingston Heath, Heidelberg, Croydon (Yering Meadows), Rossdale.

NT: Alice Springs GC

Pup

Gary Slatter

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2010, 08:49:28 AM »
54 rounds - mostly in Scotland.  Non disappointing.
Would have been more had I discovered glucosamine with condroitan earlier! sorry for spelling.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2010, 08:53:39 AM »
I played one round of golf this year; that is, if playing in a scramble is considered a round of golf.

Carlyle

P.S. I mean I played one round in 2009.  I haven't played in 2010 yet ;-)

Carlyle,

Not to pry, but why so little golf?  Work?  Health?  Kids? Ennui?  Some combination of the three?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2010, 09:59:08 AM »
About 40;

Multiple rounds; Deal

A few; Royal St Georges, Rye, Walton Heath, Hankley Common, Boavista

Club Tours; Royal Birkdale, West Lancs, Hillside, Formby, Olympia Fields (north & south), Flossmoor, Chicago Golf Club, Inverness, Oakland Hills & The Country Club

Singles; Worplesdon, Swinley Forest, Forest of Arden, Alto Golf

A good year, life is too short to play poor courses!
Cave Nil Vino

Shane Wright

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2010, 10:09:38 AM »
Joel -

14 rounds total in 2009 and 1 of them with you on a beautiful day in Wisconsin. 

I am normally in the 35-45 range but a new born and a busy work/travel schedule put the breaks on the # of rounds.  I am working on a written plan as we speak to be able to compete and play more in 2010.

I've already told our 8 month old that he is required to walk 9 holes by age 2.  His clubs are waiting for him in the basement.

I do have a couple of trips planned for 2010 so I know the rounds will go up.

Shane

P.S. - I too, have loved your Pete Dye book.  Great work.

Jud_T

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2010, 10:17:50 AM »
Shane,

The good news is when you get your son on the course in the future...There is no more win/win/win situation.  Wife's happy 'cause your spending time with the kid, kid's happy he's spending time with you, and you're getting more golf in!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Shane Wright

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2010, 10:24:43 AM »
Shane,

The good news is when you get your son on the course in the future...There is no more win/win/win situation.  Wife's happy 'cause your spending time with the kid, kid's happy he's spending time with you, and you're getting more golf in!

Jud - This is EXACTLY what I'm thinking as well.  And I am ALWAYS open to advice from the veteran fathers to a young father as to how you kept your golf games sharp.  Living in Minnesota certainlly doesn't help, but where there is a will there is a way. 

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2010, 10:33:53 AM »
Shane--

On the one hand, it's a miscarriage of justice that a guy who can bazooka a tee shot like yourself only plays 14 rounds in a year.

On the other hand, perhaps it's because you only hit 196 drives (14 drives x 14 rounds) that you conserve the strength to hit each one so far? 

Just a thought...I'm no logician!

Shane Wright

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
Shane--

On the one hand, it's a miscarriage of justice that a guy who can bazooka a tee shot like yourself only plays 14 rounds in a year.

On the other hand, perhaps it's because you only hit 196 drives (14 drives x 14 rounds) that you conserve the strength to hit each one so far? 

Just a thought...I'm no logician!

Joel - 100 rounds at 250 a drive is better than 14 at 300 yards...... any day, any time, anywhere.

Jud_T

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »
Shane,

I'm not sure anyone refers to my golf game as being "Sharp", however:

1.  Make a deal with the wife-you get 1 round every weekend, period.  Do your best to get it in very early so as to not be gone all day.  When you get home, you can watch the kid while she goes to the gym, etc...

2.  Hit the range.  You can always sneak a quick bucket in.  You might even be able to bring the baby...

3.  Make another deal- you also get 1 guys golf trip/year...This is good for 5-10 rounds

4.  Vacation with the family in warm weather-every other day is daddy golf.... 8)

5.  Be careful as the baby grows not to throw your back out lifting him!

6.  Be very nice to your wife!!!!   :o
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:56:30 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2010, 10:46:03 AM »
98 rounds from 10 January to 12 December.  I would have made it to a century, probably for the first time ever, but for the snow which fell before Christmas and is still with us now.

As club captain I've played a lot more than normal.  I would expect the total to drop by 20 to 30 rounds next year.  I played 71 times in 2007 and 70 in 2008.

Of the 98 rounds, 59 were on my home course. I played 28 different courses of which 13 were new to me.  I played in three different countries - England, Scotland (only 1 round - but it was on The Old Course ;D) and Portugal.

Who said I'm obsessed by statistics ;)
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back