News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Re: How many rounds of golf
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
90ish
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 04:10:11 PM »
This list should be annotated with some sort of check mark for those of us in the golf business.  It might discourage others from applying when they see we play less golf than the average GCA enthusiast.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »
This list should be annotated with some sort of check mark for those of us in the golf business.  It might discourage others from applying when they see we play less golf than the average GCA enthusiast.

Boy that is the truth.  I spent 5 years working as a tournament administrator.  Prior to those 5 years I averaged 80 - 90 rounds, during the 5 years it fell to about 25 and since then back to 70 to 80.

If you want to play golf do not work in the industry.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 04:23:09 PM »

Well Dale and Tom, there is one exception that I know of....while pros, supers, administrators, architects, etc. often get shortchanged in regards to playing regularly, golf writers, particularly those who are not desk-bound at the major mags or periodicals, do have the wherewithal to get out and about quite a bit.....at least in my estimation.

James Boon

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 04:51:02 PM »
My New Years resolution for last year, was to play more golf, so that I could get better value for money at my home club.

I think I've played about 55 rounds this year...

- At Horsley Lodge (my home club) I think I played about 10 full rounds but about the same again in 9 holes (summer evenings or winter mornings)
- Another 6 rounds at Burnham & Berrow
- then about 29 rounds at other courses (includes 3 rounds of foursomes), some I paid for myself, others corporate affairs

So I certainly played more golf this year than the last couple and I got better value for money at B&B than past years, but still probably not value for money at Horsley. Fingers crossed that this year I can play a similar amount of away days (hopefully same quality as well) but a few more rounds at home as well.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Brent Hutto

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 05:02:35 PM »
I haven't kept count but somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 rounds, certainly no more than that. The fewest rounds I've played in the 15 years since I took up the game and less than half my long-term average of around 105-110 rounds per year. Mostly due to loss of interest, coupled with some bad luck about not being able to play when the weather was good and the weather being bad when I wanted to play.

My loss of interest has mostly manifested itself in my becoming a "fair weather golfer". If it's over 85 or under 45 degrees I have trouble getting motivated to go play. And if it's raining I just stay home instead of going and hanging out at the club and waiting to squeeze in a round between showers.

It was also some time during mid-late 2009 that I began refusing to keep score and to type numbers into a computer after every time I play. About 80 rounds/year used to be in the weekend dogfights at my club and without a valid handicap I no longer have that sitting on the schedule at 9:30 every Saturday and Sunday morning. So a lot of weekends I just do other stuff instead of golf.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 05:04:31 PM »
I'm in with 95 posted in ghin. Mostly in New York and Florida...RHE

Jon Heise

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 05:09:07 PM »
Spreadsheet says 93 total rounds for 2010, including 27 "new to me" courses.  Since 2005 (when I started in golf seriously) Ive kept track of # of rounds, # of range sessions, plus cost of greens fees, range, gear bought, gear sold.  2009 was a good year.  One of my least expensive since '05, but played more.  I added up everything for the past five years just the other day... the total number of rounds played/amount paid gave me quite a laugh!
I still like Greywalls better.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 05:10:14 PM »
This year was a slow one for me ... some family matters to attend to as well as civic matters to handle.

In general terms - I usually average about 100 rounds of golf with no less than half of them at various new courses or those that have opened recently. My travel time via work allows me to make such visits possible.

I hope to make 2010 the best year yet ...

Carl Nichols

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 05:26:10 PM »
About 80 -- about half of those played in South America while I was living there from January to July, 12 played in an August trip to Ireland, and the rest back in the States.  80 is a very high number for me. 

Germain Pepin

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 05:37:34 PM »
Between February 28th and November 30th, i have played 57 times Joel.

George_Bahto

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 05:38:40 PM »
I'm embarrassed - not been a good "golf-playing" year ......

squeezed in between various golf course projects, you may not believe it but I've played just 2 HOLES this year - those at Old Macdonald earlier in the year with Tom Doak, the 12th and 13th, if I remember correctly

....................booo ....... for a guy who used to play 5 days a week ......... darn!

couple of operations

this year will definitely be very different (for the better of course)
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 06:00:30 PM »
60. Half of those occured during the course of 2 weeks in Scotland. Another 10 were played over the course of 4 days at Ballyneal.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 07:14:52 PM »
I am gonna guess about 55, maybe 60.  This is less than when I had a local membership.  I saw about a dozen new courses and probably had about half my games at my clubs.  Like Brent, my interest has waned and I only really play courses that interest me.  I didn't go out once this year just for a knock about.  I envisage playing less in 2010 only because there are fewer courses I can get to relatively quickly that I want to play.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Micah Woods

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »
25 rounds in 2009. And I made a concerted effort to play.

Ten countries (Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, UAE, Mauritius, USA, Philippines, Hong Kong, China)

Cristian

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »
around 50 (average for me)

First round: January 5, Prince's
Last round: Kennemer, December 9

Countries: Netherlands, Belgium, England, Spain, Portugal, France, Dubai.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:57:53 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »
I was fortunate to play 105 rounds in 2009. I was introduced to this site at an event at Flossmoor CC, where I am a member. I played at 27 different courses in 5 states, the most notable of which was Prairie Dunes in October when the high temp for the day was 36.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
Total rounds played, aprox 75

30 new courses
3 countries (Scotland, England, US)
7 states (NY, NJ, CT, VA, NC, SC, OR)

Caddied aprox 165 rounds
Walked 5 more (1 of which ranks in my top 5 golf experiences ever)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 09:18:58 PM »
153 rounds, which includes rounds less than 18 holes, 129 new courses, 20 states.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:25:25 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Michael Rossi

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »
Give or take 50. Would like to play more but have had to many other commitments lately.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »
This list should be annotated with some sort of check mark for those of us in the golf business.  It might discourage others from applying when they see we play less golf than the average GCA enthusiast.

Boy that is the truth.  I spent 5 years working as a tournament administrator.  Prior to those 5 years I averaged 80 - 90 rounds, during the 5 years it fell to about 25 and since then back to 70 to 80.

I would respectfully disagree with this.  I think it depends entirely on your situation and your determination to play.  I work 5 days a week in the off season and 6 days a week during the season, but managed 129 new courses.  I did this by stretching my three weeks of vacation into several trips and playing two or three courses a day on my rare days off during the summer.  Of course I don't have kids or other things like that to worry about.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Ben Sims

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2010, 09:33:59 PM »
I don't have a total rounds played.  But I kept track of how many days I played this year vs. how many I went TDY (temporary duty) away from home.  Ever since I got crazy about golf and golf architecture, I have tried to stay on the plus side of that analysis.  

2008: 68 golf vs. 180-ish TDY (lost the battle big time)
2009: 122 golf vs. 98 TDY (including 4 golf days WHILE TDY ;D)

Ken Moum

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2010, 11:41:36 PM »
I think I posted 86 on GHIN, but probably played several outside of the official posting season, and had a number of partial rounds where I played multiple balls to practice and didn't finish most of the holes.

But then I am unemployed, and my wife says someone needs to take advantage of our membership.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 11:44:41 PM »
I play 72 holes many weeks during the daylight savings period, and 36 other weeks. With some trips, 9 rounds in 8 days on my KP trip, and 6 rounds in 4 days on my GRUDGE MATCH trip, I figure I play around 150 rounds per year.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2010, 01:23:33 AM »
A measly 25 rounds last year.  I like my trend though as 21 of them were played in the second half of 09.  I'll guess that was the least amount of rounds in a year for me since 1988.  Recounting my 09 rounds was interesting in that I had forgotten (I thought) the first 6 months, when I had some lingering back issues and the way that sucked at the time.  So now I have to mention the selective nerve root block docs at Howell Allen and how they literally gave golf back to me, where I was swinging 100% pain free by the end of July. 

I'm going to play a lot more this year.  50 in 2010 would be awesome for me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back