News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Re: GCAer Equipment
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
please define modern...

post-graphite?

post-square groove?

post-titanium?

post-ProV1

I'm not even sure what I mean by "modern."  I actually expected to hear one or two guys who play Macgregor-ish blades, H&B drivers, etc., if only in resistance to trends that they believe have turned golf towards bomb and gouge.  Thus far, I see lots of very traditional equipment (especially irons and wedges) but nearly everyone appears to play a 460cc driver.

It's also interesting that most all of us play a ball that we believe should be rolled back.  Perhaps we believe it should be rolled back for only the best players in the world, but wouldn't that be a decision for organizing Tours and not rule-making bodies?

WW

Drew Standley

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
Ping i15 driver, 3 wood, hybrid all with TFC 700 D shafts
Mizuno MX300 4-PW with KBS Tour
Vokey 50º and 55º
Scratch Golf PWE Grind 60º
Cameron Squareback #2

The only change I am going to make for 2010 is to move to a softer golf ball for more spin from 100 yards in.  My focus is going to be to tighten up the short game and score. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 02:31:29 PM »
wwhitehead:

These are the clubs I have been playing with.  Really.

Driver:  Titleist c. 2001.  Bought it out of a rental set at Bandon Dunes when my then-driver [which shall never be named] had its shaft bent in transport.
3-Wood:  Cleveland Classic persimmon, which I bought at Royal Melbourne in 1988 after a previous driver had its shaft bent in transport..

1-iron:  Ping Eye-2, c. 1988.
3-iron through SW:  same.

Putter:  Wilson George Low 600 putter that I've had since I was 13 years old.

(And, yes, that only adds up to 13 clubs.  For a brief time I had an L-wedge just like Tiger's, a gift from a friend, but I was never able to figure out how to play with it.  And I've been happy trying to tackle any course with my wits and the clubs I had.)

However, I've just received a new set of Ping irons from my wife for Christmas.  This was probably a wise choice, because in the past 18 months, I'd lost three clubheads on my old Eye-2 set, snapped off at the hosel at impact.

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 02:43:09 PM »
Tom,

Time to invest in a Club Glove!  :-*
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jay Carstens

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »
Callaway FT9 Driver, Fw
Mizuno MP33 irons
Titleist Vokey 54/60
Ping Rapture hybrid
Ping Anser ('73); same putter forever
Sun Mountain Swift-X
Play the course as you find it

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
Tom,

Jud:

Nah, that would give the impression that the clubs are super-important.  Everybody that works for me has one of those bags, and they can never get them in the trunk of the rental car; it's like traveling with a high-maintenance wife.  [I don't have one of those, either.]

JC Jones

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 03:04:21 PM »
Tom,

Not sure which George Low putter you have but there is a decent chance its worth about $7000.  So a Club Glove might not be out of line. :)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
JC:

Mine is NOT the original George Low 600 putter.  My dad would have had to pay $500 for that one even back in the 1970's, since Mr. Nicklaus had made it famous by then.  Instead, Wilson produced a knock-off of the original design, and I am pretty sure those aren't worth much more than any other putter.

I was saddened to play golf with Jack Nicklaus at Sebonack and he never even noticed the kind of putter I was using.  Of course, he gave up his long ago for some ugly newfangled thing.

Scott Warren

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »
Tom,

Jud:

Nah, that would give the impression that the clubs are super-important.  Everybody that works for me has one of those bags, and they can never get them in the trunk of the rental car; it's like traveling with a high-maintenance wife.  [I don't have one of those, either.]

Your wife fits in the trunk of the rental car then? ;D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 04:13:41 PM »
Driver - Bang ST539 5.5 degrees / UST Mamiya  9100XXX LD-4, 47 inches in length, mid-size full cord grip
2-metal - Bang ST539  (12 degrees) UST Mamiya AXIV Tour Red XX, mid-size full cord grip, 45 inches in length
4-metal - Bang ST539 (17 degrees) same shaft as the above & grip

3-iron Ping ISI
4-iron PING ISI
5 thru 8-irons PING Karsten I
9-iron PING ISI
PW - PING ISI
SW (54) - PING ISI
SW (58) - PING ISI
Putter Asner II

All shafts on irons are dynamic gold X-100, all grips are full mord mid-size

I also have a set of MP57 irons from Mizuno -- 3-iron thru 9-iron but keep the PING wedges. Shafts are extra 1/2 inch longer and 1 degree flatter than standard. The same spec also apply to my PING irons.

Until last year -- also had PING 1-iron ISI model, x-100 dynamic golf shaft

ed_getka

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »
Wade,
   I don't how many choose their clubs and ball for more distance. I suppose a majority do. I don't. The most important thing for me is to be able to have a club I feel confident swinging that I have half a chance of getting in play. That primarily applies to the driver since I am spastic on the teebox. ::) I choose tee markers that I feel will give me the best chance to interface with the hazards off the tee. I see so many golfers (not GCA'ers generally) playing the newest technology from more forward tees where only a pop up would end up in a fwy bunker. Of course that is all about shooting a low score which some golfers deem all-important.

Driver: Titleist 975D (which replaced my persimmon club that was disintegrating in 2000)
3W: TaylorMade something or other (the burnt orange one from about 10 years ago I guess)
Hybrid: Titleist that Lloyd Cole gave me when he spurned Wally U. Thanks again Lloyd
Irons: Wilson Staffs purchased in 1989 (still have original shafts, I don't know what Pat Craig is doing to his poor irons) :)
Wedge: Cleveland something 566?
Putter: Ping B60 (not a great putter, but I'm too cheap to buy something else, besides putting is WAY more about confidence than technology)
Ball: ProV1 or V1x (not for any performance characteristic, simply because the ball is always available. Every other ball out there seems planned to be obsolete within 2 years) >:( Of course marketing is SO helpful since EVERY ball claims to be longer, straighter, spinnier, softer, and whatever else they can think of than the competition. :P
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 04:49:47 PM »
I have no idea what this has to do with architecture but what the heck.

Driver            Taylor Made r7 460 9.5º
3 Wood         Taylor Made r7 14º
Irons              Ping g5 3-PW Steel Shaft
Wedges         Ping Tour 52º, 56º and 60º bent to 62º
Putter            Frankly Frog
Bag                Ping Hoffer
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:52:43 PM by Donnie Beck »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 04:50:31 PM »
Bill Gayne,
In 1990 a dozen Titleist Balatas were around $28.00. The equivalent ball in 2009 was around $46.00, so no change based on inflation.
In 1993 a set of 8 King Cobra O/S irons w/graphite shafts had a MSRP of $1,000.00, or around $1500.00 today which is also about the same.

The two clubs with crazy prices are drivers and putters, everything else is fairly in line w/inflation. For a driver to have cost the equivalent of $400.00 today, it would have sold for about $240.00 in 1990, and I don't remember anything selling for that price back then.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

James Boon

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 05:10:09 PM »
I'm useless when it comes to technology, tend to just take my brothers word for it, and just had to go look in my bag...

- Mizuno MP600 driver 10.5 deg (Used to have my brothers old Srixon which hit the ball much further but wasn't very straight. The Mizuno is shorter but straighter so I'm happy)
- Callaway III 3 and 5 wood
- Mizuno MP30 irons 3 through PW (also have a Callaway X 3 hybrid. much happier hitting a 3 iron when I'm in the groove in summer, hybrid easier to hit when only playing occasionally in winter)
- Mizuno Raw Black Ox 52 and 58 deg wedges
- Ping Anser G2 putter (only the 4th putter I've ever had. Starter set, then a second hand Ping Anser, brother then got me a G2 as a Christmas present which got knicked so I just got a straight replacement)
- Titleist ProV1* (keep trying others but happier around greens with the feel of what I know)

I want a driver that I'm confident in hitting where I want it, not just smashing it a mile, and wedges and putter that I've practiced with plenty so I know the feel and am therefore confident of getting up and down or holing those 6 footers. Everything else just fits into place... For reference I play off a 6 handicap and have apparently got a slow swing so will never hit it far anyway  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

JSlonis

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »
a

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:57:22 PM by JSlonis »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
Everybody that works for me has one of those bags, and they can never get them in the trunk of the rental car; it's like traveling with a high-maintenance wife.  [I don't have one of those, either.]

They must have the Club Glove "Last Bag" which is a giant thing.  Get the "Burst Proof" model that is suited for smaller stand bags and is soft like a canvas bag.  One of the big benefits of it is that on trips you can load it up with laundry so 1) you have extra cushion for your clubs...maybe not important for you,  and 2) your remaining luggage is lighter.

http://www.clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=13
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Sean Leary

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 06:21:34 PM »
Everybody that works for me has one of those bags, and they can never get them in the trunk of the rental car; it's like traveling with a high-maintenance wife.  [I don't have one of those, either.]

They must have the Club Glove "Last Bag" which is a giant thing.  Get the "Burst Proof" model that is suited for smaller stand bags and is soft like a canvas bag.  One of the big benefits of it is that on trips you can load it up with laundry so 1) you have extra cushion for your clubs...maybe not important for you,  and 2) your remaining luggage is lighter.

http://www.clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=13

I agree. The Last Bag is too big.. Burst proof is perfect.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I only use 10 clubs to keep my MacKenzie Llama or Walker as light as possible - it forces me to be creative and play more by feel.

I dropped 10 strokes from my handicap this year so I think it is working fine. Another couple in 2010 and I'll be stoked.

I made sure my set has good spacing between the woods and irons, no more than 5 to 7 degrees.

8.5* Driver, 13* 3W, 18* Hybrid, 4i, 6i, 8i, PW, 53*, 58*, Putter

If anyone is looking for a new driver or 3W I would encourage you to to get fit on a launch monitor to optimize distance/spin/loft/etc. It seems like a lot of guys on GCA are not too worried about that which is cool - I love the retro stuff. But if you are buying a new club or set, you might as well make sure it is right for you. I have a Titleist 909 D3 (Driver) and F3 (3W) which is low launch/low spin along with a low-mid launch/spin VooDoo shaft. No blaming the clubs anymore.

I have some Scratch SB-1s on order with the KBS Tour shafts along with a couple of 1018 wedges and a Hybrid - I cannot wait to get them and I think it is really cool that Scratch offer 3 grinds on their irons and wedges (and custom grinds on their custom stuff).

I don't plan on changing my set for a long time.

David Amarnek

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »
These will be staying in the bag for a long time:

Driver: Titleist 909D3 with Diamana Whiteboard shaft
3 Wood: Titleist 909F3 with Matrix Ozik X-Con 7 shaft
Hybrids: Titleist 909H with Matrix Ozik Altus shaft and Adams Idea Pro Gold, also with Altus shaft
Irons: Epon AF Tour (4-PW) with KBS shafts
Wedges: Vokey Custom 53* and 59* with DG shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Circle T (a keeper!!!)

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »
Driver: Ping i15
3 Wood: Ping i15
2 Iron: Mizuno FliHi
4-PW: Titleist AP2
Wedges: Ping Tour W TS
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Napa
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:40:46 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2010, 08:02:44 PM »
I just went and got my clubs from their storage area - my boot.  

Great Big Bertha II 9 degree - I am guessing the head is about 320cc (circa 2002ish bought used), but I don't know  The cover is a Yeamans Hall special just for Ed O.

Cleveland 2i hybrid circa 2005. Merion head cover.

I am not sure what the 7 wood is as I can't read the sole plate.  Its a Seven Heaven Callaway knockoff circa 1985ish bought in a barrel for a very good price.  It has a Beau Desert head cover.

5, 6, 8, 9, PW Titleist 775 cavity backs circa 2002 bought used.  

Ram SW bought used for a fiver.  I have no idea how old it is, but it has to be at least 15 years old because that is when some bastard stole my Snake Eyes wedge.  I keep meaning to buy another SW, but what the hell.  

IGM Old Master blade putter bought in a barrel for a fiver some 25 years ago.  I suspect it is from the 70s, but it could be older.

I sometimes carry a second SW if I play a soft course- Tad Moore 57 degree circa 2000 bought form a pro going out of business, but I very rarely use it.

Brand new Sun Mountain Swift X bag.

I usually hit Pro VI practice/X-outs.  I have recently found another ball I like which is cheap and will do if I can't find the cheap Titleists - Srixon Soft Feel.

I am not too bothered about brand of gloves or shoes, but they must be BLACK and they tend to be Foot Joy.

My preference of jumper is Glenmuir.  I like Gap polo shirts, but will wear most anything.  My favourite cap is a Red Wings jobbie, though I am becoming fond of an Old Town thing and Huntercombe cap.    

I always use wood tees - not bothered about the colour though red isn't clever because I don't see it very well on a green background.  

Like my head covers, I always use club towels as I refuse to have company logos if it can be avoided.  

I usually smoke Punch English Market Selection, Monte Cristo #4 or Don Diego Sun Grown Babies and fire them with a Zippo.    

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:30:55 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »
Made some big changes this year: I might be 23, but I have the golf bag of a 70 year old woman!!! (except for the stiff shafts!)

Driver - Titleist 909D2 w Diamana blue board (new from the demo closet)
3w - Taylor Made R9 (new $100)
2-4 Hybrids - Taylor Made Burner TP (new wholesale)
5 iron-PW  - Taylor Made Burner TP w Project X shafts (wholesale)
52 and 56* - Mizuno MP somethings!
putter - White Hot Tour #7H 43" (yes, a belly putter, but i use it like a hockey stick!)
ball - Callaway iTour or whatever nice balls i find
Bag - Titeist Ultra Lightweight Stand Bag

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »
I usually smoke Punch English Market Selection, Montecristo #4 or Don Diego Sun Grown Babies and fire them with a Zippo.    

Ciao

Favourite single malt?

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 09:33:45 PM »
my exact question!    ;D
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Sims

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »
I promise I'm not sponsored....

Titleist Driver 909D2 10.5 - Aldila VooDoo in Stiff
Titleist 3W 909F2 15.5 - Aldila VooDoo in Stiff
Titleist 909 Hybrid 19 - Diamana Blue 80
Titleist AP2 (3-PW) - Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54-11 (bent to 53) - Dynamic Gold "Wedge"
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58-08 - Dynamic Gold "Wedge"
Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Red
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Squareback 34"
Titleist ProV1x (High Numbers only)
Ogio Grom Stand Bag (Red)

I used to play Mizuno Irons.  Quite frankly, if it wasn't for some thief in San Antonio, I still would be.  But after the thievery this summer, I went to get set up with some new MP-52's and the guys said I should hit Titleist's new forgiving "player" iron.  I was really impressed with it.  I have a soft spot for Titleist for a couple reasons.  1) They stop short of "hokey".  I have always felt that many of the other manufacturers are willing to put whatever spit shined piece of space age junk they can on a stick so long as it sells.  2)  Titleist woods feel and sound pure to me.  Instead of a huge "whang!" like from other woods, it's just a muted "click" from the hybrid and fairway, and a solid "whack" from the driver.  I lost maybe 2 yards (on average) of carry from the R9 460 on the launch monitor, and that was with a 45" shaft instead of the TM's 46". 

I am looking to move away from the Vokey's to a set of custom Scratch's though.  Fitting a grind to a player is a very cool way to niche yourself into a market dominated by just two manufacturers. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back