News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Re: Whip it Out: Post your Top 25 Courses Played
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2009, 04:29:21 PM »
Okay - I'll show you mine.... :)

Steve's list is hard to beat.  From the courses I've seen I'm going to tweek his excellent list (mine are not in order [ no way PVGC is second to anything])

Sand Hills   
Royal Melbourne (Composite & West)   
Pine Valley   
Cypress Point   
Royal County Down   
Royal Portrush   Lahinch
Royal Dornoch   
Muirfield   
St. Andrews Old Course   
Royal St. Georges   
Ballybunion   
Oakmont   
Shinnecock   
NGLA   
Merion   
Pacific Dunes   
Kingston Heath   
Alisa (Turnberry)   
Fishers Island   Barnbougle
Sunningdale (Old)   
Friars Head   
New South Wales   
Crystal Downs   Chicago Golf
San Francisco Golf Club   Cape Kidnappers
LACC-North   

Michael Dugger

« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2009, 04:31:24 PM »
1. Pac Dunes
2. Bandon Trails
3. Pronghorn Faz
4. Bandon Dunes
5. Barona Creek
6. Chambers Bay
7. Wine Valley
8. Tetherow
9. Pumpkin Ridge Witch Hollow
10. Pronghorn Nicklaus
11. Eugene Country Club
12. Members at Aldarra
13. Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Creek
14. Columbia Edgewater CC
15. Bandon Crossings
16. The Reserve South Course
17. Heron Lakes Great Blue
18. Juniper GC
19. Brasada Ranch
20. Aspen Lakes
21. Stone Creek
22. Sunriver Woodlands
23. Black Butte Big Meadow
24. Camas Meadows
25. Emerald Valley GC
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
My favorite 25 in alphabetical order.

Ballybunion
Ballyneal
Bandon Trails
Carne
Eastward Ho!
Biderman
Fishers Island
Five Farms
Gulph Mills
Kirtland
Lahinch
Lancaster Country Club
Lehigh Country Club
Merion
Newport CC
Oakmont
Pacific Dunes
Pine Needles
Pine Valley
Plainfield
Portsalon
Sommerset Hills
The Old Course
TPC Sawgrass
Yeaman's Hall
Proud member of a Doak 3.

G Jones

« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »
1. National Golf Links of America
2. Pine Valley
3. Shinnecock
4. Oakmont
5. Merion
6. Augusta National
7. North Berwick
8. St Andrews Old
9. The Country Club (brookline)
10. Muirfield
11. Carnoustie
12. Chicago Golf
13. Pebble Beach
14. Royal Cinque Ports
15. Walton Heath (old)
16. Peachtree
17. Bethpage (black)
18. East Lake
19. Royal Dornoch
20. Oakland Hills (south)
21. Newport CC
22. The Course at Yale
23. Pinehurst (no.2)
24. Cruden Bay
25. MPCC (shore)

JC Jones

« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2009, 07:21:31 PM »
I agree.  The ability to mix public/private is imperative for a good golf week these days.  I am planning a Ballyneal trip next summer and am looking to bookend the trip with golf.  Right now Wild Horse is tops on the list but I am struggling to find others. 

Jason, I got a lot of good advice on my Colorado Golf (en route to Ballyneal) thread last week.

I should read that .... :)

edit:  Ok, I read it and its all Colorado.  I'll be coming from MI and dont intend to travel that far west.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 07:34:31 PM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
Bill - I agree that Pasa is worth the $150 to play ($250 out of state gets steep - but it is worth putting up the cash at least once to play it - if the weather is good) - Pasa is the best inland course I have ever played (and I could barely play it bc of the weather). That place is very special.

Seeing all of the PNW lists makes me wonder how it is possible that the courses around Seattle and Portland are so inferior to other larger cities? Maybe bc these cities were fairly small when the ODGs were putting down tracks like Riv, Cypress, SFGC, etc. in Cali and courses like Capilano, Victoria, Shaughnessy up in BC?

Almost all of the "great" courses in the PNW are outside of the big cities on the coast or in smaller towns - BDGR, Pronghorn, Tetherow, Chambers, Wine Valley, Eugene CC, - and aside from ECC, they were all built in the last 10 years. It's fascinating considering the great golfing climate here.

Ash Towe

« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »
In no particular order:

Cypress Point
Ballyneal
Sand Hills
Pacific Dunes
SFGC
Plainfield
Muirfield
St Andrews Old
Carnoustie
Royal Birkdale
MPCC Shore
Alwoodley
Ganton
Moortown
Olympia Fields North
Cape Kidnappers
Royal Melbourne West
Royal Melbourne East
Kingston Heath
Barnbougle
National Moonah
Parkstone
Royal Lytham
Spyglass Hill
Paraparaumu

When finished and if I get the opportunity OLd MacDonald and Lost Farm could get in.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »
My Top 25 Played:

1. Royal County Down
2. TOC
3. Oakmont
4. Muirfield
5. Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
6. Pebble Beach
7. Ballybunion (Old)
8. Winged Foot (West)
9. Carnoustie
10. Lahinch
11. Prairie Dunes
12. Bethpage Black
13. Carnoustie
14. Olympic Lake
15. Fishers Island
16. Pasatiempo
17. Ballyneal
18. Plainfield
19. Kingsbarns
20. Baltimore CC - Five Farms
21. Winged Foot (East)
22. Yale
23. Portmarnock
24. Quaker Ridge
25. Somerset Hills
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Mark Arata

« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2009, 12:37:02 AM »
In no particular order:

Cypress Point
Prairie Dunes
Pacific Dunes
Fishers Island
Pebble Beach
Crystal Downs
Pasatiempo
Kingsley Club
Yale
Cal Club
The Old Course
Royal Dornoch
North Berwick
SFGC
Riviera
Rustic Canyon
Atlantic City
Plainfield
Pinehurst #2
Fenway
Murifield
Bethpage Black
Castle Stuart
Lawsonia Links
MPCC Shore
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2009, 02:23:11 AM »
Here's my non-entry to this pissing contest, in NPO:

Pete Dye Golf Club
Tobacco Road
Pinehurst #2
Taconic
The Orchards

(that's five...I think I can, I think I can)

Bandon Dunes
Bandon Trails
Pacific Trails
Whistling Straits Straits
Blackwolf Run River

(that's ten...I think I can, I think I can)

Blackwolf Run MV
LeatherStocking
Fox Chapel
Victoria Hills
Crag Burn

(that's fifteen...running out of gas, running out of gas)

Country Club of Buffalo
Lookout Point
Cherry Hill (ontario)
Tullymore
Southern Pines

(that's twenty...I know I can, I know I can)

The Old Course, St. Andrews
The New Course, St. Andrews
Kebo Valley
Arcadia Bluffs
Old Town Club

(that's twenty-five...might caca, I did it.)
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2009, 02:54:06 AM »
So I'm in with the group that feels like my list is quite lacking compared to some, but here goes anyway.  Hopefully I can add 1-3 worthy, world-class courses per year, starting with my Ballyneal trip in June.  My criteria is simple: what did I enjoy the most and what do I want to return to.

To start, my top two are far and away the best courses I've ever played.  Nothing else is close.

1 Pacific Dunes
2 Kingsley Club

This next group could be in any order -- and if I was lucky enough to play each of them again, I'm sure the order would change.

3 Bandon Dunes
4 Caledonia -- might deserve to be higher, only played it once at a dreadfully slow, 5+ hour pace
5 Longshadow
6 Beechtree (NLE) -- I wish I could have played it more
7 Laurel Hill
8 Athens CC
9 Pinehurst #3
10 The Mines
11 Pacific Grove Muni
12 True Blue

The rest of my list are probably not worthy of this thread, though many are quite fun and interesting to play, just not up to the world-class standards of most of you jet-setters:

13 Scotland Run
14 Torrey Pines North
15 Pinehurst #4
16 Devil's Knob (Wintergreen) -- site of my first round of golf
17 Shenandoah Valley Golf Club (27 holes)
18 Twin Lakes (Oaks) -- my home course
19 Raspberry Falls
20 Torrey Pines South
21 Stonewall (VA)
22 Whiskey Creek
23 Eagle's Landing (MD) -- haven't played here in years, may not actually be worthy
24 Westfields
25 Glenn Dale

Mike Wagner

« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »
No particular order:

Bandon
Pacific
Trails
Seattle Golf Club
Ballyneal

Cypress
Pebble
Spyglass
WFW
WFE

Chambers
Skyridge
Pumpkin
Southshore LLV
Broadmoor GC

Whistling - both
Erin Hills
Torrey Pines South
Arizona CC

Vintage
Blue Mound
The Palms
PGA West Stadium

Chris Cupit

« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »
Matt--here's my Baltusrol analysis:

I think it has a really strong (if not flashy) collection of par fours, a unique and quirky finish with two terrific par 5s and I never found it a long "slog".  It plays much shorter than Winged Foot (West) and the playing cooridors are much mmore generous.  Had WF not wisely gone on their clear cutting expedition several years ago, I think it had become so overgrown that it risked being as great as it could be.  Ten years ago while I loved to compete at both courses the experience at Baltusrol was far more enjoyable and playable.  

Anyway, WF did the right thing, eliminated thousands of trees that were ruining the course and I rank it higher.  I do think Baltusrol is a fine exampe of excellent architecture as well.

My least favorite holes at Baltusrol (Lower) are #1 and #4.
#1  Converted par 5s as fours never seem to work that great.  This is a bit of a slog up the hill.
#2  Terrific driving hole to the plateau that then opens up a view into the green.  The cross bunkering simply looks good to my eye.
#3  Another good driving hole that is very difficult because you must get the ball in the fairway to have any real chance to play into that green.  Pretty backdrop with the clubhouse.
#4  Least favorite hole despite all the hype.  Worst, most out of character green on the property.  
#5  A terrific straight away par 4 with a great green set up high on the hill.  The huge oak (?) tree right behind the green is a beautiful target to aim at.  This might be heresy but would the hole be better without the old tree and with a skyline type green?  
#6  Another strong par 4.  Interesting fairway movement, great bunkering around the green that allows/demands a run up shot to get close to a front hole location.
#7  Interesting drive angle and another long to mid iron approach.  Unique wide green that is huge.  You can fall asleep and just be hapy to be putting and then realize you have a 60 footer.
#8  Night short par four that plays a bit longer than the yardage.  Anotehr well bunkered green that seems to my eye to "nestle" very well among the bunkers
#9  Good strong par 3--Tillie doesn't make many bad ones does he?
#10  I'll admit the next two holes aren't my favorites.  Another long par 4 that [plays uphill to a somewhat hidden green--OK a little bit of a snoozer
#11  Sharp dogleg.  Seems a bit out of place given the severity of the dogleg.  Fairly unique green but the drive seems poorly defined
#12  Of the three Tillie par 3s my least favorite
#13  Really intersting drive over the angled creek.  Many options off the tee and yet another shot into a green that seems perfectly nestled into its surrounds.
#14  Good, straightish par 4 with some interesting green movement--another good driving hole.
#15  The second shot on this par 4 reminds me of #5 a bit.  Crowned and elevated green that makes it play very small.  I really like #5 and #15 greens.
#16  Pretty downhill par three surrounded by sand.  With the elevation change I don't mind the approach requiring one to carry the ball onto the green.  Just another ho hum, terrific Tillie par 3 (I mean that as a compliment)
#17-#18  Unique and quirky finish with two really great par 5s.  The sahara hazard on 17 really puts pressure on hitting the fairway when coming out of the narow chute of trees.  Elevated green with the massive oak (from #5 green?) helps provide a backdrop on the uphill third shot.  The final hole is reachable and the creek down the left and crossing mean you have tons of choices, options and obstacles no matter where you drive the ball.

I think part of Tillinghast's genius is a course that on paper seems one dimensional (lots of long straightish par 4s) actually has 18 very unique holes that play nothing alike.  I really like the par 5 finishers and the wider playing corridors than similar "man sized" courses like WF.

I am not as well traveled as Matt but I'll stick by my choice.   :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:39:17 PM by Chris Cupit »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2009, 02:58:46 PM »
Hi Chris:

Thanks for such a detailed reply / re: Baltusrol Lower.

I have posted below all of your top 25 courses below.

Let me say this clearly -- I am not suggestign that Baltusrol -- either of the two layouts is not worth a round for those who have not played there -- the issue is whether the Lower rises to the level of "great" status and rightly belong among the small elite number of stellar tour de force layouts.

Much of that discussion rests squarely on the portfolio of courses one has played.

I can't speak to how diverse a grouping of courses you have played but my omission of Baltusrol Lower from even a top 25 in the metro area of NYC is really about the qualities of other courses being beyond the emphasis on length for length's sake that you see at the Lower and the less than breathtaking property the course occupies.

Chris, my use of the word "slog" means more about the same pattern of shots required with a simple add-on of additional length that's been done over the years. In terms of what you find more enjoyable -- no doubt your are entitled to see BL as the better choice when held against WF/W. However, WF/W is the supreme differential type course in that it will squeeze any potential error to the surface and frankly most people don't like to be held to that high a standard in first class shotmaking. People don't love WF/W as much as other courses --- but it demands one's utter respect for the man-sized theme that Tillie provided there.

Your use of the word "excellent architecture" is clearly your opinion and I respect that. As I said at the outset such a usage is likely tagged to the sheer number / exposure to other top tier courses.

One final item -- best hole for me at The Lower -- is the 3rd. Just a great par-4 -- ditto the 6th with its turtle-top fairway falloffs.

1.  National Golf Links of America
2.  Augusta National Golf Club
3.  Royal County Down
4.  The Old Course at St. Andrews
5.  Pine Valley Golf Club
6.  Merion Golf Club
7.  Royal Dornoch
8.  Shinnecock
9.  Winged Foot (West)
10.  Camargo
11.  Walton Heath
12.  North Berwick
13.  Cuscowilla
15.  Muirfield Village (Ohio)
16.  Peachtree GC
17.  Winged Foot (East)
18.  The Honors Course (home course)
19.  The Homestead (Upper)
20.  Baltusrol (Lower)
21.  Monroe GC (Pittsford, NY)
22.  Muirfield (I have to give it another chance but I'm unimpressed thus far)
23.  Wallassey  (ugly backdrop on #1 but I had a blast there)
24.  Oak Hill (West)
25.  Rivermont (the course I own/operate)   

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »
Gordon Jones - You need to get out more!!
Cave Nil Vino

Lance Rieber

« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2009, 04:55:06 PM »
Hard to do but here are the best 25 I have played, have to jog some of the memory banks.  Looking at others list I am very jealous.
 Pebble Beach
Pasatiempo
Olympic
Meadow club
Bel Air
Spyglass Hill
Nanea
Bandon Dunes
Hokuli'a
Mauna Kea
Medalist
Headwaters Club
Aldarra
Crosswater
Lake Merced
Outlaw
Eisenhower(Air Force)
Stevinson Ranch
Quarry
Eugene CC
Pumpkin Ridge
Vistoso
Darkhorse
Poweder Horn

The rest , including the last couple are ones that blend in with each other

Ben Sims

« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »
Hard to do but here are the best 25 I have played, have to jog some of the memory banks.  Looking at others list I am very jealous.
 Pebble Beach
Pasatiempo
Olympic
Meadow club
Bel Air
Spyglass Hill
Nanea
Bandon Dunes
Hokuli'a
Mauna Kea
Medalist
Headwaters Club
Aldarra
Crosswater
Lake Merced
Outlaw
Eisenhower(Air Force)
Stevinson Ranch
Quarry
Eugene CC
Pumpkin Ridge
Vistoso
Darkhorse
Poweder Horn

The rest , including the last couple are ones that blend in with each other

Right on!!  Another mention for the Eisenhower back at The Blue Zoo. 

Sean_A

« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2009, 04:29:35 AM »
Trawling through these posts I am acutely aware of the following.

1. I need to give Co Louth another go.  Perhaps I was too hard on the old girl.

2. Doug Sobieski has played a load of good courses and he has Wild Horse & Indianwood listed - Indianwood in particular intrigues me.  I don't have a very good memory of this course - perhaps I should try to see it again.

3. Cristian Willaert listed a fine eclectic of courses, the one which stood out was Royal Zoute.  Can anybody comment on this course and/or link me to a photo thread?

4. Andrew Bertram seems to have gotten around a bit and he listed Morfontaine.  In fact, Bob Huntley did as well.  Can anybody comment on this course and/or link me to a photo thread?

5. Pete Lavallee listed Kittanset.  This course intrigues me in the same way Myopia and Maidenhead do.  I hear about them and wonder how good they can be.  I suspect all three are just up my alley.

6. LAWSONIA - I was surprised how many people listed this course.  I have to see it one day. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Cristian

« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2009, 04:46:50 AM »

2. Doug Sobieski has played a load of good courses and he has Wild Horse & Indianwood listed - Indianwood in particular intrigues me.  I don't have a very good memory of this course - perhaps I should try to see it again.

3. Cristian Willaert listed a fine eclectic of courses, the one which stood out was Royal Zoute.  Can anybody comment on this course and/or link me to a photo thread?

4. Andrew Bertram seems to have gotten around a bit and he listed Morfontaine.  In fact, Bob Huntley did as well.  Can anybody comment on this course and/or link me to a photo thread?

5. Pete Lavallee listed Kittanset.  This course intrigues me in the same way Myopia and Maidenhead do.  I hear about them and wonder how good they can be.  I suspect all three are just up my alley.

6. LAWSONIA - I was surprised how many people listed this course.  I have to see it one day. 

Ciao

3. http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/Belgium/Royal%20Zoute/index.html

ChipRoyce

« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »
Here's my top 26 - couldn't stop at 25  :)

Hope a few would stir up some disputes

1. Pine Valley

2. Royal Dornoch

3. NGLA

4. North Berwick

5. Pacific Dunes

6. Cruden Bay

7. Seminole

8. Bandon Dunes

9. Myopia Hunt

10. Bethpage Black (Pre-redesign - current would rate lower)

11. Spyglass Hill (tie)

11. Gullane #1 (tie)

13. Pebble Beach

14. Mid Ocean

15. Nairn

16. Pinehurst #2

17. Bandon Trails

18. Essex County Club

19. Riviera

20. Tobacco Road

21. Baltusrol (Lower)

22. Brora

23. Talking Stick

24. We-ko-Pa (Saguro)

25. Meadowbrook Club

26. Tain
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 07:03:35 PM by ChipRoyce »

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2009, 11:34:01 AM »
No real internal grouping order other than Shinnecock being my favorite.

1-5
(pretty much head and shoulders above the rest)
Shinnecock Hills
Pine Valley
Cypress Point
Royal County Down
St. Andrews (Old)

5-10
Oakmont
Augusta National
National Golf Links of America
Prairie Dunes
Ballyneal

10-15
Sand Hills
Crystal Downs
Chicago
Merion (East)
Royal Portrush (Dunluce)

15-20
Ballybunion (Old)
Cal Club
Pebble Beach
Pacific Dunes
San Francisco

20-25
Pine Needles
Pasatiempo
Piping Rock
Tobacco Road
Bandon Trails

Mac Plumart

« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »
Love these lists.

Particularly the courses listed that aren't on the Top 100 lists.  Hidden gems?  Probably!!

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »
It's embarrassing how much I need to see before I die.  The only redeeming thing is that 95% of this list is 2009 alone.

1. Sheep Ranch
2. Pacific Dunes
3. Crystal Downs
4. Ballyneal
5. Riviera
6. Old Macdonald (even in ten holes it's one of my fave yet.  Can't wait to see how high it'll go after all 18)
7. Pasatiempo
8. Bandon Trails
9. Kingsley Club
10. Stone Eagle
11. Lookout Mountain
12. Peachtree
13. Bandon Dunes
14. Olympic (Lake)
15. We-Ko-Pa Saguaro
16. Longshadow
17. Eisenhower Golf Club (Blue) - USAFA, CO
18.  Brackenridge Park
19.  Presidio (San Francisco)
20.  Saddle Creek
21.  The Frog
22.  The Republic (San Antonio)
23.  Haggin Oaks
24.  Pecan Valley
25.  Wildhorse (Davis, CA)

Haggin Oaks in Sacramento? Really?  :o You have to get out more, next time you are in Sacto, IM me and I can show you at least ten better courses in the area. ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Scott Warren

« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »

There are some flat holes, IMO, but the likes of 3-8 and 12-16 make up for that.

My pic tour from here: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39403.0/

My review from my blog: http://theglobalgolfer.blogspot.com/2009/04/royal-zoute.html

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2009, 12:56:50 PM »
After giving it some thought, and listed on the basis that the courses within each band are interchangeable in terms of placing:

Top tier
The Old Course
Royal Dornoch
Muirfield
Royal St George's

Second tier
Ballybunion (Old)
Royal Birkdale
Ganton
Woodhall Spa
Turnberry
Carnoustie
Kingsbarns

Third tier
North Berwick
Royal Lytham & St Annes
Royal Liverpool
St Enodoc
Silloth upon Solway
Cruden Bay
Royal Cinque Ports

Fourth tier
Rye
Royal Aberdeen
Notts (Hollinwell)
Alwoodley
Nairn
Beau Desert
Goswick (Berwick upon Tweed)

Narrowly missing out
Wentworth (West)
Monte Rei
The European Club
Gullane No 1

I reserve the right to change my mind at a moment's notice!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back