News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charles Lund

Re: Whip it Out: Post your Top 25 Courses Played
« Reply #1025 on: November 08, 2015, 06:04:09 PM »
1.  New South Wales
2.. Royal Dornoch
3.  Pacific Dunes
4.  Lahinch
5.  St. Andrews - The Old
6.  Barnbougle Dunes
7.  Kauri Cliffs
8.  Kingston Heath
9.  Cruden Bay
10.  Cape Kidnappers
11.  Kingsbarns
12.  European Club
13. The National Golf Club -Moonah
14.  Waterville
15.  La Reserva de Sotogrande
16. Barnbougle Lost Farm
17.  Bandon Dunes
18. Southern Dunes
19.  Tobacco Road
20.  The Dunes Golf Links
21.  Pa Ko Ridge
22.  Brookwater Golf Club
23.  Torrey Pines South
24.  Gold Mountain Olympic
25.  St. Andrews Beach

I compiled an initial list that included a few other courses.  In considering the initial list, I decided that some courses were included due to being noteworthy on various international lists.  However, some were on the difficult side to access and it was clear that getting fitted in for a replay round later in the day or the next day was not something to ask about.  So I went with those where I felt welcomed enough as a solo golf traveler I did ask or would have been comfortable asking.

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #1026 on: November 08, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
Charles, I'm interested that you place NSW on the top of your list. not that I'm complaining, as I'm also a big fan.  what do you feel elevates it above the rest in a strong list of courses?

Charles Lund

« Reply #1027 on: November 09, 2015, 06:31:33 AM »
I've had the good fortune of playing over 140 different courses outside of North America and generally have difficulty answering questions about my favorite or the best.

From the list I inckuded, it should be obvious I am partial to coastal links  courses.  I have spent over six months in Australia and six months in Ireland and about five weeks in Scotland.  I live part of the year in the Pacific NW and part of the year in San Diego, although I have been overseas close to 22 months since late 2007.

Given the time I have spent in Australia and the fact I am here now, I looked at my list of 25.  NSW GC took over the #1 rank in Australia courses during a period when Royal Melbourne conditioning deteriorated.  Kingston Heath is away from the coast, so no coastal aesthetics.  On this trip, I am traveling to Sydney and will play there again.  I had positive experiences in the past, loved the diversity of holes, liked the influence of coastal winds and naturalness of the setting, and the extent to which no holes seemed to duplicate others or remind me of other courses I hsve played.  I am in the country and will travel farther to play it than any others which are pretty much a half hour to an hour from where I am staying.

So there is a history of the club, a friendly welcome I have experienced, beauty, and a challenging golf experience.  The course was in good condition when I played it before.

I left out some courses on my list which are generally ranked at the top.  I appreciate the chance to hsve played them, but the welcome was perfunctory and there were limits on club access.   I have little motivation to go bsck and certainly would not put a course I have limited interest in going bsck to high up on my kist.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #1028 on: November 13, 2015, 06:04:10 PM »
I'm probably done seeing new courses for the year, so here is my updated "favorites" list...

1.  Cypress Point
2.  Augusta National
3.  Royal County Down
4.  The Golf Club
5.  Dismal Doak
6.  Old MacDonald
7.  The Old Course
8.  NGLA
9.  Sand Hills
10. Pine Valley
11. Kiawah Ocean
12. Pinehurst #2
13. Shinnecock Hills
14. Valley Club
15. Dismal Nicklaus
16. Friar's Head
17. Muirfield
18. Kingsley Club
19. Chicago Golf
20. Myopia Hunt
21. Shoreacres
22. Cal Club
23. Sebonack
24. Prairie Dunes
25. Wolf Point
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #1029 on: November 13, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »
Usually, when I see
"10.  Pine Valley"
It means something different 😀

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #1030 on: November 13, 2015, 09:37:59 PM »
Mac - I thought we were friends, or at least internet friends. And internet friends don't keep secrets from each-other. You have my IM, if perhaps not my email -- why didn't you *tell me* you needed someone to accompany you. That's a lot of travel to do and courses to play all by yourself -- you could've perhaps used the company of a good friend like me, one who has always looked out for your best interests, and who would've ensured that your rounds at places like Cypress and Augusta were extra specially memorable. I mean, that's the kind of friend I am -- giving, giving, always giving. The only reason I haven't supported you through thick and thin is because there hasn't been much "thin" for you lately -- otherwise I'm *there*, you know, I am right with you. Absolutely. 100%. Geez, I'm a little sad right now. I thought you *knew* all this, but maybe you didn't. Maybe next year, huh?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #1031 on: November 14, 2015, 12:57:29 AM »
Mac, great list of fantastic courses.  Looks like the only major geographical area you're missing, that has world top 10-40 courses or better, is Australia/New Zealand.  Any plans to visit there? 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #1032 on: November 14, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »
Jim,

I absolutely have to get there. But I think to get everything done right and make the travel time and cost commitment work, I'd have to be there about 2 weeks, minimum. I can't be away from my business for that long at this stage in my life.

So, realistically, that trip will be a retirement gift to myself down the road. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #1033 on: November 14, 2015, 11:31:56 AM »
Frankly, I need to see heathland golf too.

Hoping to see that area next year.

BCowan

« Reply #1034 on: March 04, 2016, 10:44:04 AM »
As of Today

Inverness
UofM (and i went to OSU)
Naples National
Battle Creek CC
Kingsley Club
OSU Scarlet
Calusa Pines
Groose Ile
Radrick Farms
Scioto
Mid Pines
Sylvania CC
Plum Hollow CC
Western Golf and CC
Double Eagle
Barton Hills (played before renovation it was avg Ross)
World Woods (pine barrons)
Caledonia
Ocala Golf club (muni) great potential
Washtenaw CC
Roseland (played pre renovation)Windsor Muni
Elks Run cinci
Muirfield Village

1.  Mid pines
 3. Franklin Hills
 4.  Inverness
 5.  UofM
 6.  Orchard Lake
 7.  Kirtland
 8.  Scioto
 9.  Pine Needles
10. Battle Creek
11. Naples National
12. OSU Scarlet (pre JN)
13. Southern Pines
14. Dormie
15. Kingsley
16. Lookout mtn
17. Barton Hills
18.  Sylvania                                                 
19.  Canterbury
20.  Radrick Farms
21.  Indianwood
22.  Honors
23.  Double Eagle
24.  Plum Hollow                                                                       
25.  Western

1.   Old Town
2.   Orchard Lake
3.   Pinehurst #2
4.   Holston Hills
5.   Mid Pines
6.   Franklin Hills
7.   Inverness
8.   University of Michigan
9.   Battle Creek
10. Scioto
11. Kirtland
12. Kingsley
13. Sylvania
14. Ravisloe
15. Naples National
16. Pine Needles
17. Indianwood
18. Old Elm
19. Lookout Mtn
20. Dormie
21. OSU Scarlet (Pre JN)
22. Grosse Ile
23. Radrick Farms
24. Barton Hills
25. Ocala GC

Honorable- Mt Prospect, Double Eagle, Canterbury, Calussa Pines, Honors, Crooked Stick, Broadmoor

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1035 on: March 04, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »
As of Today

Inverness
UofM (and i went to OSU)
Naples National
Battle Creek CC
Kingsley Club
OSU Scarlet
Calusa Pines
Groose Ile
Radrick Farms
Scioto
Mid Pines
Sylvania CC
Plum Hollow CC
Western Golf and CC
Double Eagle
Barton Hills (played before renovation it was avg Ross)
World Woods (pine barrons)
Caledonia
Ocala Golf club (muni) great potential
Washtenaw CC
Roseland (played pre renovation)Windsor Muni
Elks Run cinci
Muirfield Village

1.  Mid pines
 3. Franklin Hills
 4.  Inverness
 5.  UofM
 6.  Orchard Lake
 7.  Kirtland
 8.  Scioto
 9.  Pine Needles
10. Battle Creek
11. Naples National
12. OSU Scarlet (pre JN)
13. Southern Pines
14. Dormie
15. Kingsley
16. Lookout mtn
17. Barton Hills
18.  Sylvania                                                 
19.  Canterbury
20.  Radrick Farms
21.  Indianwood
22.  Honors
23.  Double Eagle
24.  Plum Hollow                                                                       
25.  Western

1.   Old Town
2.   Orchard Lake
3.   Pinehurst #2
4.   Holston Hills
5.   Mid Pines
6.   Franklin Hills
7.   Inverness
8.   University of Michigan
9.   Battle Creek
10. Scioto
11. Kirtland
12. Kingsley
13. Sylvania
14. Ravisloe
15. Naples National
16. Pine Needles
17. Indianwood
18. Old Elm
19. Lookout Mtn
20. Dormie
21. OSU Scarlet (Pre JN)
22. Grosse Ile
23. Radrick Farms
24. Barton Hills
25. Ocala GC

Honorable- Mt Prospect, Double Eagle, Canterbury, Calussa Pines, Honors, Crooked Stick, Broadmoor
Ben,   Congrats on a nice 2015. Am I reading your list correctly with Ravisloe ranked higher than Old Elm, Indianwood Old, and Canterbury? If so, why? And if possible expand on why Old Elm?

BCowan

« Reply #1036 on: March 04, 2016, 08:45:33 PM »
Ben,   Congrats on a nice 2015. Am I reading your list correctly with Ravisloe ranked higher than Old Elm, Indianwood Old, and Canterbury? If so, why? And if possible expand on why Old Elm?

Jack,

You are reading the list correctly.  Old Elm is a very solid Golf course as is Ravisloe which I feel is vastly underrated.  I played each once, so you can take that into account.  I know I am in the minority here, but that is okay.  I also have come to realized that 5 plays is best when assessing a course though that is tough to do with such limited time, I'd like to play Ravisloe again to see if my first impression was good. 

Old Elm  Doesn't really have a weak hole.  The course has very good nuances and some uniqueness to it.  The holes that stood out to me were #3 (love the front to back slope, quirky hole), #11, #12 and #18 were my favorite.  It is nice to play a course with new grass for it was really Firm as was Mt Prospect.  Double green is fantastic.  The negatives were the irrigation pond on #2 (big deduction IMO) on a solid hole.  The Par 5's seemed to be mostly half par's.  I didn't like some of the teeth shape like bunkering on some holes.  I didn't like the HOC around the greens, felt it was way too short and unneeded.  There is need for more tree removal.  I love the tilt of the 18th green. 

Ravisloe  Ravisloe really doesn't have any weak holes, the #7 might be okay.  The bunkering at Rav is some of the best Ross iteration I have seen.  Some very unique cool holes there.  #3 might be in top 5 of par 5's I've played, #4, #5 (very unique), #8, #11 (one of the best long par 3's I've played), #13, #18 (cool bunkering) all standout holes to me.  #9-10 and #15-16 are solid.  The green contours are very solid.  Negatives are that the course lacks one or two ball buster par 4's.  Oh well, but same I think can be said about Old Elm.  Tree removal is def. needed and I hope someone talks the owner out of planting trees.  Course would play well Firm and true. 

Old Elm vs Ravisloe
Par 3's- Ravisloe by a nudge- more variety
Par 4's- Old Elm
Par 5's- Ravisloe

Indianwood
  I have a well traveled friend who thinks it's the best in MI.  I think the land is the best inland land I have seen next to Muskegon for a golf course (I don't get around).  I think the routing is very solid.  I think the bunkering is like furniture out of place.  The par 3's are too redundant.  The 17th green is the best IMO and then the 18th.  The greens are very boring excluding the last two.  I love the quirky 9th hole, good example of quirk.  I have played it 2-3 times.   

Canterbury  First off the staff and caddies are top notch.  The greens are the best part of the course, but nothing one hasn't seen before.  Standout holes for me are #4, #9, #12, and #15.  I'm indifferent about #16.  The negatives, The greens would be great at 10.5 instead of 12-13.  The 3rd hole is weak imo.  There are 3 different bunker designs going on.  There is a floating pond on the 10th hole.  I'm not impressed with the finish as many others.  Way over treed.  A few forced holes there.  The course is a 5, hopefully Hepner can turn it into a 6.5-7.   2 plays
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:13:14 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #1037 on: March 05, 2016, 11:35:22 AM »
To each his own, of course, but there might be three holes at Rav that are as good as the weaker holes at Old Elm.   Rav is a nice little course that Esler dolled up in a very appealing way, but it would struggle to get more than a Doak 4 while Old Elm is a solid 7 in my view. Many would argue it's an 8. I've played Rav about fifty times, before and after the Esler renovation. I've played Old Elm a handful of times, before and after the Drew Rogers/Dave Zinkand redo, so maybe the disparity in my view compared to Ben's is based on our relative experience on the ground. It's either that or he's been stopping in Denver for some power vape bullets.  ;D
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BCowan

« Reply #1038 on: March 05, 2016, 11:39:34 AM »
Terry,

With all your experience on both tracks, you sure failed to give us any specifics.  Doak 4, that's a laugh.   ::)

When I stop in Denver. It's for an omelet..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 12:21:27 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #1039 on: March 05, 2016, 05:32:45 PM »
I'll wager a power vape that you've never been to Denver.

Ben, I'm more curious about why you thought Mid Pines was better than No. 2 in 2014, but worse than No. 2 in 2015. Or how the hell Elks Run makes your top 25.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1040 on: March 05, 2016, 05:34:25 PM »
Terry,

With all your experience on both tracks, you sure failed to give us any specifics.  Doak 4, that's a laugh.   ::)

When I stop in Denver. It's for an omelet..
Ben, I've played Ravisloe many times over the years both pre and post reno. I really like it- I might go as high as a Doak 5. It's not in the same league as Flossmoor , OFCC N & S, or Beverly just to name a few close tracks. Those are 6-7.5 in my book. Old Elm is pretty special IMO - I would now place it in the CGC  or Shoreacres category of top 3-4 in Chicago . Especially for the club/recreational golfer. It's not a big brawny championship venue like Butler, Medinah, or OFCC north. It is charming in regards to walk ability , short game examination , flawless conditioning, rugged bunkering, and a nice mix of long / short par 4's, you are spot on that the par 5's are more 4 1/2's. I find that to be the fun side of old elm. At Beverly for instance we have 4 par 5's at 570, 575, 605, and 585. For most of our members it can be a hybrid 3 rd shot . As far as Rav is concerned,  I intend to continue my annual Good Friday ritual of an afternoon round there with some pals to celebrate Holy Week.

BCowan

« Reply #1041 on: March 05, 2016, 06:18:22 PM »
Ben, I've played Ravisloe many times over the years both pre and post reno. I really like it- I might go as high as a Doak 5. It's not in the same league as Flossmoor , OFCC N & S, or Beverly just to name a few close tracks. Those are 6-7.5 in my book. Old Elm is pretty special IMO - I would now place it in the CGC  or Shoreacres category of top 3-4 in Chicago . Especially for the club/recreational golfer. It's not a big brawny championship venue like Butler, Medinah, or OFCC north. It is charming in regards to walk ability , short game examination , flawless conditioning, rugged bunkering, and a nice mix of long / short par 4's, you are spot on that the par 5's are more 4 1/2's. I find that to be the fun side of old elm. At Beverly for instance we have 4 par 5's at 570, 575, 605, and 585. For most of our members it can be a hybrid 3 rd shot . As far as Rav is concerned,  I intend to continue my annual Good Friday ritual of an afternoon round there with some pals to celebrate Holy Week.

Jack,

I give Old Elm about 7.4 and Ravisloe about 7.8, which I ask myself why not higher.  I explained my reasons.  The irrigation pond is a huge deduction for me, it's location is horrible and I don't think it's original or size of it is needed.  Without it Old Elm might be 8-8.5.  Tree removal is also an issue.  Hopefully they will remove those gothic trees and plant a few new resistant Elms..  I loved the cross bunkering on a few holes and some other bunkers I didn't care for.  I disagree with flawless conditioning, but obviously better then Ravisloe.  I like the shaved areas around many greens, HOC is too short even though I have advantage with shaved bounce on my SW's.  The par 5's are very very solid at Ravisloe #3 and #13 are outstanding (no water needed to make them excellent)#2 is a solid hole too.  Each make the player think on their 2nd shot.   

I have only played Mt Prospect, Old Elm, and Ravisloe.  We can agree to disagree, however you failed to give me reasons why you think it's only a 5 at tops.  Excluding trees which I said, please tell me?  I'm glad you will continue your regular Good Friday game there, the place has a special feel to it which only adds to the solid Golf Course.  You also didn't give me a numerical rating for Old Elm. 

Old Elm vs Ravisloe
1. OE +1
 2. OE +2
 3. OE +1
 4. -
 5. Rav +1
 6. -
 7. OE +1
 8. -
 9. OE +1
10. -
11. Draw (-)
12. OE +1
13. -
14. OE +1
15. -
16. Rav +1
17. Rav +2
18. Rav +1
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:58:18 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

JJShanley

« Reply #1042 on: March 06, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »
1.   Camargo, Cincinnati, OH
2.   Rolling Green, Springfield, PA
3.   Dunbar, Dunbar, Scotland
4.   Warren at Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
5.   Gullane (2), Gullane, Scotland
6.   Mortonhall, Edinburgh, Scotland
7.   Wigwam (Gold), Litchfield Park, AZ
8.   Longniddry, Longniddry, Scotland
9.   Goswick, Berwick-upon-Tweed, England
10. County Sligo, Sligo, Ireland
11. Braid Hills (#1), Edinburgh, Scotland
12. Strandhill, Sligo, Ireland
13. Musselburgh (Monktonhall), Edinburgh, Scotland
14. Angels Crossing, Vicksburg, MI
15. The Glen, North Berwick, Scotland
16. The Duke’s Course, St. Andrews, Scotland
17. Forest Highland (Canyon), Flagstaff, AZ
18. University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
19. Papago, Tempe, AZ
20. Gullane (3), Gullane, Scotland
21. Dundonald Links, Gailes, Scotland
22. Mount Prospect, Mount Prospect, IL
23. Wyncote, Oxford, PA
24. Bruntsfield, Edinburgh, Scotland
25. Duke University Golf Club, Durham, NC

Ash Towe

« Reply #1043 on: March 06, 2016, 03:16:53 PM »
After my recent travels.  This was not easy and I have left some terrific courses out.  In no particular order:

Cypress Point
Sand Hills
Ballyneal
Pacific Dunes
Old MacDonald
Barnbougle
Royal Melbourne West
Royal Lytham
Royal Birkdale
Turnberry
Cape Kidnappers
Plainfield
San Francisco Golf Club
Ballybunion Old
Portmarnock
Sunningdale Old
Sunningdale New
Merion East
Winged Foot West
Winged Foot East
NGLA
Friars Head
St Andrews Old
Muirfield
Royal County Down
After another trip and a recent weekend I would make 3 changes:
In Tara Iti, Royal Dornoch and Castle Stuart. Out Royal Lytham, Plainfield and Winged Foot East.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #1044 on: March 06, 2016, 04:10:56 PM »
Wow, reading this thread I'm shocked by how much my list looks like other peoples.  These courses must be that good if so many agree:

Royal Dornoch, Royal County Down, Cypress Point, Pebble Beach, Royal Portrush
St. Andrews, Fishers Island, North Berwick, NGLA, Bandon Dunes,
San Francisco, Kingsley, Pinehurst No.2, Bethpage Black, Friar's Head
Crystal Downs, Merion, Garden City, Shinnecock, Oakmont
Pacific Dunes, Camargo, Maidstone, TPC at Sawgrass, Meadow Club
Well I guess 6+ years is long enough for an update.  New since 2009 are in red:

Royal Dornoch
Royal County Down
Cypress Point
Sand Hills
Pine Valley
Pebble Beach
Royal Portrush
St. Andrews(Old)
Fishers Island
North Berwick(West)
NGLA
Pinehurst(No.2)
Prairie Dunes
Ballyneal
Wolf Point
Bandon Dunes
Bethpage (Black)
Seminole
Friar's Head
San Francisco
Kingsley Club
Garden City
Crystal Downs
Merion(East)
Old Town

Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Jon Heise

« Reply #1045 on: March 06, 2016, 05:58:52 PM »
1- Pebble Beach
2- Greywalls
3- Pinehurst No. 2
4- Pine Needles
5- Crystal Downs
6- Tanglewood Park
7- Torrey Pines South
8- Augusta Country Club
9- Kiawah Island Ocean Course
10- Kingsley Club
11- Forest Dunes
12- Tobacco Road
13- Palmetto Golf Club
14- Dunes Golf and Beach Club
15- True North
16- Timberstone
17- Arcadia Bluffs
18- Grosse Ile G&CC
19- Eagle Eye
20- Otsego Club Tribute
21- University of Michigan GC
22- Southern Pines
23- Rock Barn
24- Mid Pines
25- Raisin River GC, Monroe MI

Hey, I was post #3.  That's pretty cool.  An update?

1 Muirfield
2 Old Course
3 Pebble Beach
4 Greywalls
5 North Berwick
6 Crystal Downs
7 Pinehurst #2 (before reno)
8 Kiawah Island Ocean
9 Whistling Straits
10 Erin Hills
11 Arcadia Bluffs
12 Torrey South
13 Pine Needles
14 Belvedere
15 Tanglewood Park
16 Old American
17 Grosse Ile G&CC
18 Kingsley
19 Forest Dunes
20 Angels Crossing
21 Augusta Country Club
22 Mt Prospect
23 Indianwood Old
24 Lost Dunes
25 Knolwood Club
Duke
Dunes Golf and Beach Club
Southern Pines
Palmetto
Tobacco Road
Sweetgrass
University of Michigan
Cog Hill #2
St Ives
Eagle Eye
Black Forest
Timberstone
Mid Pines
Raisin River East

After about #5, then after about #12, ordering is not important...  Oh, and Cabot in the fall, so just pencil them into the top 5 right now...  total number is 244.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:00:53 PM by Jon Heise »
I still like Greywalls better.

JJShanley

« Reply #1046 on: March 07, 2016, 08:31:02 AM »
Jon,

If I lived closer to Angels Crossing I'd probably play there a dozen times this season.  As it stands I'll play 36 when I visit.  It's that good.

JJS

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1047 on: March 07, 2016, 09:09:06 AM »

Jack,

I give Old Elm about 7.4 and Ravisloe about 7.8, which I ask myself why not higher.  I explained my reasons.  The irrigation pond is a huge deduction for me, it's location is horrible and I don't think it's original or size of it is needed.  Without it Old Elm might be 8-8.5.  Tree removal is also an issue.  Hopefully they will remove those gothic trees and plant a few new resistant Elms..  I loved the cross bunkering on a few holes and some other bunkers I didn't care for.  I disagree with flawless conditioning, but obviously better then Ravisloe.  I like the shaved areas around many greens, HOC is too short even though I have advantage with shaved bounce on my SW's.  The par 5's are very very solid at Ravisloe #3 and #13 are outstanding (no water needed to make them excellent)#2 is a solid hole too.  Each make the player think on their 2nd shot.   

I have only played Mt Prospect, Old Elm, and Ravisloe.  We can agree to disagree, however you failed to give me reasons why you think it's only a 5 at tops.  Excluding trees which I said, please tell me?  I'm glad you will continue your regular Good Friday game there, the place has a special feel to it which only adds to the solid Golf Course.  You also didn't give me a numerical rating for Old Elm. 

Old Elm vs Ravisloe
1. OE +1
 2. OE +2
 3. OE +1
 4. -
 5. Rav +1
 6. -
 7. OE +1
 8. -
 9. OE +1
10. -
11. Draw (-)
12. OE +1
13. -
14. OE +1
15. -
16. Rav +1
17. Rav +2
18. Rav +1
Ben,    I look at SA, CGC, and Old Elm as being pretty equal- somewhere in the 8-9 range. Exceptional golf courses in the same vein as a Garden City Mens or Wannamoisette.  Courses that have virtually no poor holes. As far as tree removal at Old Elm, it is an ongoing process- they continue as we speak. The irrigation pond on #2 is a nonissue in my mind- it is completely out of play. No idea as to its origin- its size doesn't distract me.  #2 is one of the great par 4's in the Midwest. So many options around the green for recovery shots. The approach must be precise but at 125-150 yds should be manageable. The conditioning is typically flawless due to a virtually unlimited maintenance budget and a very low number of rounds played annually. Keep in mind these are the same guys who are at Augusta, Seminole, PV, CPC, etc. They have a higher bar for what is acceptable and they see that it is accomplished.

Jon Heise

« Reply #1048 on: March 08, 2016, 01:29:24 PM »
Jon,

If I lived closer to Angels Crossing I'd probably play there a dozen times this season.  As it stands I'll play 36 when I visit.  It's that good.

JJS

Just an enjoyable place!  I played 18 in about an hour and a half as the first off that day (trying to beat the rain).  Slammed my 6' birdie putt on 18 through the break, raced to the parking lot just as the clouds unloaded on me.  Can't wait to go back!
I still like Greywalls better.

JJShanley

« Reply #1049 on: March 08, 2016, 01:32:40 PM »
Jon,

JJS
Just an enjoyable place!  I played 18 in about an hour and a half as the first off that day (trying to beat the rain).  Slammed my 6' birdie putt on 18 through the break, raced to the parking lot just as the clouds unloaded on me.  Can't wait to go back!

Got through 15 on my first visit there in June last year.  I could hear thunder in the distance, in the direction of the clubhouse, so called it a day.  Got to the clubhouse and ordered a beer and burger about two minutes before a 30 minute storm flooded the course.  I'm excited to show my dad the place when he comes over in September.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:06:53 PM by JJShanley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back