News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: Whip it Out: Post your Top 25 Courses Played
« Reply #475 on: December 07, 2010, 04:27:58 PM »
these lists are awesome, some of you have had wonderful opportunities to play these exciting and rare courses

Mainly due to access whoring.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #476 on: December 07, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »
Myopia Hunt
The Country Club
Worcester CC
Brae Burn CC
Dedham Country and Polo
Eastward Ho!
Essex CC
Pinehurst #2
Metacomet CC
Taconic GC

probably just about in that order too

Wish I could copy and paste some of your guy's lists!

Scott Warren

« Reply #477 on: December 07, 2010, 06:03:50 PM »
Don't forget rating, JC, or does that also fall under "whoring"?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #478 on: December 26, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »
Deleted...wrong thread. :-\
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #479 on: December 27, 2010, 03:07:07 PM »
Mac:

I'm glad to see an emphasis on the mountain time zone area -- the recent addition of the key ones in the area have certainly added much to the overall discussion. Ballyneal and Dismal River are clearly two different courses -- the Doak approach and the Nicklaus approach clearly provide a very interesting contrast. I see that area of the USA as being the last frontier where the kind of compelling golf can be rightly included among the very best in the USA.

Anthony Butler

My Top 25 Courses Enjoyed
« Reply #480 on: December 29, 2010, 10:03:54 PM »
Here's the 25 courses I'd most like to play again:

RMW
RME
Kingston Heath
Moonah National
New South Wales

Olympic Lake
Cypress Point
Pebble Beach
Meadow Club

Winged Foot West
Quaker Ridge
Stanwich
Merion East
Aronomink
Oakmont
Congressional Blue
Essex County Club, MA
Eastward Ho
Pinehurst #2
Pine Valley (barely)

St. Andrews
Carnoustie
Muirfield
Portmarnock

Morfontaine

Notable Omissions from world Top 100:
The Country Club
Spyglass
Oak Hill East
Muirfield Village
TPC Sawgrass
Pasatiempo
Royal Adelaide
Kingsbarns

Courses I am expecting to make a challenge for the Top 25 in the next two years:
At least 2 courses at Bandon
Barnbougle
Royal County Down
Portrush
Ballybunion
Valley Club

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:33:40 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #481 on: December 30, 2010, 05:05:59 PM »
Anthony:

Interesting list -- why the fascination with Stanwich ?

Curious to know if during your CT visit you were able to play Yale ?

Ditto why the need to play Congressional again ?

thanks ...

Anthony Butler

« Reply #482 on: December 31, 2010, 02:31:15 AM »
Anthony:

Interesting list -- why the fascination with Stanwich ?

Curious to know if during your CT visit you were able to play Yale ?

Ditto why the need to play Congressional again ?

thanks ...

Matt-Stanwich is underrated because William Gordon designed the course towards the end of a fairly anonymous yet impressive career working with Toomey and Flynn on some of their most prominent course redesigns. It's not the world's most interesting property... certainly Yale beats it in that respect. Since I haven't played Yale (something always came up on the three chances I had to play it) I can't put it on the list. In Stanwich's defense, it has some really good green complexes considering the land around them is not that special. The conditioning of the course helps as well. I haven't played there in years, but it was always immaculate with fast, sloping greens. In those respects it reminds me of a slightly more spacious version of Metacomet in Providence. RI. The membership at Stanwich is very focused on golf and they haven't considered it necessary to do a redesign in the almost 50 years the club has been open. So they must be happy with the challenge the course represents.  

Congressional Blue is one of the better RTJ courses I have played. (If one considers he totally redid the course prior to the '64 Open.) Just some really solid holes. I mostly played there with a female member who was a pretty decent player and easy on the eye, so that might have something to do with it as well...  :)
Next!

Anthony Butler

« Reply #483 on: December 31, 2010, 02:39:42 AM »
like to see myopia hunt represented more here, but i guess its probably rather tough to play

4 U.S Open's, and highest winning U.S Open score ever

course is a gemmmmmm

What about any of the other MA Open courses? Brae Burn, TCC, Worcestor, anybody lucky enough to play these??
Travis-You can ride your horse around there but getting on the course is another matter altogether. I have dropped a few hints in the direction of the CEO of Arnold Worldwide who's a member there, but nothing has taken yet...

I can't see playing at Brae Burn since my in-laws are Jewish and it was the last exclusionary club in the Boston area. Fairly ironic given the fact it's smack bang in the middle of Newton.
Next!

Pat Burke

« Reply #484 on: January 01, 2011, 05:21:20 AM »
Kingston Heath
Cypress Point
Royal Melbourne Composite
Victoria
RMW
RME
Pebble
TOC
Plainfield
NSW
Mountain Ridge
Old Pinehurst #4
Ridewood
Winged Foot
Whipoorwill
Hollywood
Forsgate
Montclair

Tom_Doak

« Reply #485 on: January 01, 2011, 10:46:54 AM »
Pat:  Nothing built after 1935?

And what did you like so much about Pinehurst #4 ?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #486 on: January 01, 2011, 07:33:20 PM »
Anthony:

Stanwich has rarher dull property and frankly the green contours are fine -- provided they don't go beserk and have them at 12+ on the stimp. Frankly, the course has a reputation for simply being overly difficult -- narrow fairways with clogging rough and then the ultra-fast greens does that.

Frankly, it's better to head over to nearby Darien and play Wee Burn.

I am familiar with Gordon's work and I don't see it as being underrated -- underrated compared to what?

If you want to see the bones of a find Gordon course that could be even better head to south Jersey and play the ole Buena Vista. Very fun and interesting course.

Your take on Congressional Blue is akin to the same reasons why I would not elevate either of the two courses. More emphasis on demands and frankly no real short hole of consequence to balance out the uber length.

Pat Burke

« Reply #487 on: January 02, 2011, 02:53:36 AM »
Tom,
Good question!  Hadn't really looked at that!
Growing up in New Jersey for one, I was lucky to have access to the Ny Metro area's best!
Australia, was a a blessing in my golf life, so I am pretty biased ;D.
As far as newer courses, great point.  Since I retired from playing, and the health issues attached to that
I have played (I believe) 2 new courses! ???  That since 2001.
So I made a list of courses played, not courses I would like to walk and study

Anthony Butler

« Reply #488 on: January 02, 2011, 03:52:51 PM »
[Matt_Ward]
Anthony:

Stanwich has rather dull property and frankly the green contours are fine -- provided they don't go beserk and have them at 12+ on the stimp. Frankly, the course has a reputation for simply being overly difficult -- narrow fairways with clogging rough and then the ultra-fast greens does that.
Matt, I think we are in agreement on the pluses and minuses of Stanwich. I have a sneaking suspicion I would not enjoy playing there as much now. Back when I played there in the early/mid 90s I could drive the ball up a gnat's bum from 270 yards, so managed to snag the gong in a member/guest there when all others where flailing around in the hay you mentioned. That probably explains why a ball striker like George Zahringer was the club champ a bunch of times.

I am familiar with Gordon's work and I don't see it as being underrated -- underrated compared to what?
Gordon's work is not underrated, just slightly under recognized both in the contributions he made in building courses and later in designing them. Stanwich itself is possibly underrated due to the surfeit of other classic courses linked to the ODGs in the Tri-State area. Locally, it's a better course than Greenwich Country Club, even though the GCC property is better. Much lower a__hole ratio than GCC too.

If you want to see the bones of a find Gordon course that could be even better head to south Jersey and play the ole Buena Vista. Very fun and interesting course.

Your take on Congressional Blue is akin to the same reasons why I would not elevate either of the two courses. More emphasis on demands and frankly no real short hole of consequence to balance out the uber length.
That's true. It's probably one of the fairest US Open courses though. It's a US Open course like Tim Duncan is a basketball player.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:58:37 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #489 on: January 02, 2011, 04:36:25 PM »
Anthony:

Stanwich favors the kindn of aerial assault style play of the '60's -- often overwatered and when the greens are allowed to go to mega speeds - the place is akin to a major demolition derby as anyone less than a Zahringer style of play will fall prey to.

The Gordon style is especially noteworthy of the times it was doing courses. Have those same courses held up as well as others. I don't see it happening -- just my take.

Stanwich was rated by GD as a top 100 course and frankly the difficulty meter was the sole reason.

Anthony, you had me falling off the computer with laughter -- Congressional and Tim Duncan are not shared properties -- the -b-ball connection doesn't fit for me. Congressional is just very much one dimensional -- just so happens to be located in the DC area and is the main player for hosting majors there. Other than that -- I have never figured out why Congressional is even rated to start with.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #490 on: February 27, 2011, 08:33:32 PM »
Top 25 favourite courses an off the cuff order. Yes it's a cop out, but otherwise I'll be thinking for even longer...

Cypress Point
Pine Valley
The Old Course
Shinnecock
Royal County Down
Turnberry
Merion
Royal St Georges
Ballybunion
Royal Lytham & St Annes
New South Wales
NGLA
Royal Melbourne West
San Francisco
Muirfield
Morfontaine
Carnoustie
Bethpage Black
Barnbougle Lost Farm
Royal Dornoch
Sunningdale Old
Balgownie (Royal Aberdeen)
Riviera
Baltusrol (Lower)
Royal Portrush

And 12 courses which it would be remiss not to mention - some more fun to play, some a nicer walk, some a tougher test:  Paraparaumu Beach, Alwoodley, Carne, North Berwick, Prestwick, Portmarnock, Cape Kidnappers, Royal Adelaide, Pasatiempo, Plainfield, Sommerset Hills, Winged Foot West

That was tough but makes me remember that golf courses are truly magnificent things.
@Pure_Golf

Matt_Ward

« Reply #491 on: February 27, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
MP:

How does Baltusrol Lower rate higher than WF / West ?

You also have Bethpage Black -- have you played any of the other east end LI courses besides Shinny and NGLA ?

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #492 on: February 27, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »
Matt,

Was fortunate enough to play a few others in Long Island. Usual suspects which were all amazing.  They are a long way from 99.9% of the courses in NZ, despite a couple of the NY courses being on very flat unassuming pieces of land.  If only Raynor had taken vacations downunder. 

I love the raw challenge of Bethpage Black. We played it from the plates on a flaming hot afternoon with some breeze and it was firm, fast and intimidating. Some of its holes are world class (#5 no doubt makes 'best hole' lists for many) and I love not only the bunkering but the flow of the course, particularly how it builds to a climax on the last few holes.  At the time I noted its conditioning which was not at the same standard experienced at the private courses in the area - but that is only one small factor to judge a course by.  I'd also prefer to play a round of golf in 3 to 3.5 hours!

Baltusrol over WFW, well they are both Tilly classics and I guess it is just down to personal preference!

@Pure_Golf

jeffwarne

« Reply #493 on: February 28, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
Sean, can we see a Top 25 from you that removes cost/value from the equation?

Scott

Man, why did I know you were gonna ask that question?  In alphabetical order:

Ballybunion Old Course
County Sligo
Enniscrone
Formby
Kiawah TOC
Lahinch
Merion
North Berwick
Old Town Club
Portmarnock
Prestwick
Royal Aberdeen
Royal Cinque Ports
Royal County Down
Royal Dornoch
Royal Portrush Dunluce
Royal St Georges
Rye
St Enodoc
St Georges Hill
St Andrews TOC
Swinley Forest
Sunningdale New
The Island
Woking

Close but no cigar: Hoylake & Woodhall Spa

Last edited 7 December 2010

Please note: my list is subject to constant change.

Ciao

Sean,
a solid list that's hard to argue with

You'd prefer a day at The Ocean course to a day at Brora or Pennard?
I'd take the latter any day-even if Pennard or Brora cost more(which effectively they do counting travel cost living in the US)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #494 on: February 28, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »
Jeff

Cheers.  No, I would take Brora and Pennard over Kiawah 10 out of 10.  This list is one which I consider to be the best courses from an architectural PoV I have played.  It is not a favourites list.  in fact, this quoted list is one I deleted because it doesn't really mean much compared to my favourite places. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #495 on: February 28, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »
Jeff

Cheers.  No, I would take Brora and Pennard over Kiawah 10 out of 10.  This list is one which I consider to be the best courses from an architectural PoV I have played.  It is not a favourites list.  in fact, this quoted list is one I deleted because it doesn't really mean much compared to my favourite places. 

Ciao

You definitely have more "architectural discipline" than I.
I like what I like and if i don't like it, I can't put a "better" course (whatever that means) ahead of one I like more
Funny, I've played TOC three times in a 20 year period from a variety of tees and I just can't embrace it(although I can appreciate multiple individual holes)
As you know I'm the king of the hit and run--at brora we walked off 18 due at dornoch in an hour and a half to play-instead we walked right back to #1 tee at brora.
pennard we came back to the next day after playing it the day before
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Franklin

« Reply #496 on: February 28, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
Jeff -

Have you played Dornoch? Either way that is saying something about Brora.
Mr Hurricane

jeffwarne

« Reply #497 on: February 28, 2011, 03:24:40 PM »
Jeff -

Have you played Dornoch? Either way that is saying something about Brora.

I had played Dornoch the day before.
I certainly liked that a lot too and respect it's architecture, but that open first tee was just too tempting and it's hard to beat the atmosphere at brora

Alan Carter

« Reply #498 on: March 01, 2011, 01:27:49 AM »
In no order:

1 Highlands Links
2St. George's
3Royal St. George's
4Royal Dornoch
5Old Course
6Kingsbarns
7Muirfield
8Turnberry
9Carnoustie
10Merion
11Pine Valley
12Cypress Point
13Pebble Beach
14Pacific Dunes
15NGLA
16Shinnecock
17Friar's Head
18 Royal County Down
19 Royal Portrush
20 Portmarnock
21 Pinehurst No. 2
22 Seminole
23 Oakland Hills
24 Sunningdale Old
25 Cruden Bay

How do you change these rankings from 2009?

Alan Carter

« Reply #499 on: March 01, 2011, 01:28:55 AM »
In no order:

1 Highlands Links
2St. George's
3Royal St. George's
4Royal Dornoch
5Old Course
6Kingsbarns
7Muirfield
8Turnberry
9Carnoustie
10Merion
11Pine Valley
12Cypress Point
13Pebble Beach
14Pacific Dunes
15NGLA
16Shinnecock
17Friar's Head
18 Royal County Down
19 Royal Portrush
20 Portmarnock
21 Pinehurst No. 2
22 Seminole
23 Oakland Hills
24 Sunningdale Old
25 Cruden Bay

My mistake now i see that it is in no order!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back