News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rchesnut

Re: Whip it Out: Post your Top 25 Courses Played
« Reply #450 on: October 10, 2010, 12:58:04 AM »
Cypress Point
Barnbougle Dunes
Pacific Dunes
Pasatiempo
Ballyneal
Royal County Down
Kingsbarns
Kingston Heath
Royal Melbourne
Oakmont
Crystal Downs
San Francisco
Pebble Beach
Pinehurst #2
We Ko Pa Saguaro
Spyglass
Arcadia Bluffs
Kiawah Island Ocean
Gullane
North Berwick
Old MacDonald
Meadow Club
MPCC -- Dunes and Shore
Cabo del Sol

Jeremy Aisenberg

« Reply #451 on: October 10, 2010, 09:03:33 PM »
I am a new member of the GCA forum and figured this was a good place to make my first post.   

1. Pine Valley
2. Cypress Point
3. Cape Kidnappers
4. Seminole
5. Pacific Dunes
6. Fishers Island
7. Kinloch
8. Merion
9. Oakmont
10. Royal Birkdale
11. Kauri Cliffs
12. Ballyhack
13. Riviera
14. Bandon Trails
15. Royal Troon
16. Bandon Dunes
17. Pinehurst #2
18. Shadow Creek
19. Sebonack
20. Walton Heath Old
21. Olympic
22. Congressional
23. Harbour Town
24. Cassique
25.Whisper Rock (lower)

I have tentative plans to make it back to Bandon to play Old Mac, as well as a trip to Sandhills in the spring, so i expect some potential movement on these rankings...I look forward to participating in the excellent discussions here!

Jeremy Aisenberg

Mac Plumart

« Reply #452 on: October 10, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »
Jeremy...

what were your thoughts on Seminole?  Why regarded so highly?  Pros and Cons about it.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jeremy Aisenberg

« Reply #453 on: October 10, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
To me, Seminole is an absolutely brilliant golf course.  Seminole truly requires you to maintain razor sharp focus for every shot.  I think this really is Donal Ross' masterpiece.  The use of the dune that runs through the property is amazing in that it is was the primary feature with which Ross had to design around, and he did so brilliantly.  With its location right on the ocean, the wind is as critical to the design as the layout itself.  I love that they forgo lush conditioning in favor of firm and fast play.  It is a little brown and that's exactly how they want it.     The green complexes are genius in that they don't necessarily look at first to be very difficult, but require absolute precision.  The routing is virtually perfect and it is a wonderfully natural walk. It is an understated golf course and it is easy to understand how it may not blow people away that are looking for more "wow" factor.  To me, it has as much "wow" as anywhere i have ever played, but you need to allow yourself to see it.  The subtleties make the golf experience at Seminole somewhat of a chess match.  Add on the history and tradition of the club, and it ranks very high in my opinion.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #454 on: December 05, 2010, 10:13:21 PM »
I think this could be fun to see how our lists morph from year to year.

My 25 Favorite Courses Played Thus Far (12-5-2010)…

Tier 1 (100 out of 100 on The Plumart Scale  ;) )

The Golf Club…To me this is the ultimate golfing escape;  wonderful setting (secluded and private),  great property, amazing routing that takes the golfer on an adventure with a few twists and turns in “vibe”.  And the stretch of holes from 13-17 is some of the best golf I’ve ever seen.

Sand Hills…Perhaps I could duplicate my thoughts on The Golf Club; great golf escape, wonderful setting, great property with amazing routing.  Given that I am from Ohio and live in Georgia, seeing the land features of the Nebraska sandhills are akin to being on the moon.  Truly stunning!

NGLA…The anticipation of playing this course was difficult to deal with, given the significance of the course in the world of golf course architecture.  And when I approached my ball on the first green, reality lived up to all the hype and anticipation.  The course is off-the-charts good without a single weak hole.

Kiawah Ocean…I find this course to be truly incredible.  Challenging, but playable.  Beautiful, but with sharp  teeth.  The challenges are vast and diverse, the holes offer variety, and the wind (if present) will make you think before you hit every shot…or pay the price.  Great stuff!!

Tier 2

Canterbury…In my mind, this course is vastly underappreciated.  Amazing routing on a small piece of property.  Perfect turf for golf.  Great greens with a great mix of undulation and speed.  And quirky/interesting holes mixed in with standard golf holes.

Sebonack…Two holes away from being, arguably, the greatest course in the world (excluding anything Trump does, of course  :) ).  Seriously though, the course is crazy good.  Beautiful, challenging, hard to get to the greens, and hard to hole putts. 

Pinehurst #2…I played it last summer and thought it was outstanding.  I have a gut feeling this thing might pop up to Tier 1 on my list after C&C finish their work.  Subtle strategy needs to be discovered/employed…and I love that aspect of Ross’ work.

Dismal River…Like Sand Hills, the landscape of this region of Nebraska is really cool to me.  Dismal has more dramatic golf holes/shots than its neighbor and I like that.  I find it to be a little more challenging than Sand Hills and I think they are a perfect compliment to each other.

Harbour Town…An amazing journey.  Unique and interesting.  I’ve never seen a course quite like it…or at least like it and done as well.  I love its unique nature and can’t wait to play it again and apply the strategies I think I learned the first time.

Pete Dye Golf Club…Plain and simple good golf.  Risk/reward on seemingly every hole.  Beautiful views in every direction.  A course that offers a great challenge, but a course I could play everyday.

Ballyneal…Much like Harbour Town, I’d call this course unique and interesting.  An ideal mix of golf and nature.  Some of the greatest greens I’ve ever seen.  And I am still amazed at how the golf course and the landscape seem to be one and the same with no separation.

Tier 3…(I’ll limit my description on these)

Sea Island—Seaside…great mix of beauty and golf.

Inverness…Solid Ross course.  A great course to study to see how outside architects can detract from the original course.

Cuscowilla…Solid C&C, 1-13 are top-notch golf holes.

Pine Needles…Really nice Ross with great flow.

Shadow Creek…Pleasant golf.  15 is under-rated and over-looked as a golf hole.

Maidstone…8-14 are spectacular, the rest is solid.  6 green is AWESOME!!!

Holston Hills…A course I could play every single day of my life. 

Seminole…If I was a better golfer, I think I’d like it even more.

East Lake…It means more to me than most other people.  I, essentially, discovered golf on this course;  Bobby Jones, Donald Ross, and how a golf course can transform a community.

Augusta Country Club…Really, really pleasant and good golf.  Like Holston Hills, I could play it every single day.

Yeaman’s Hall...An amazing  club with a well routed course with great greens.

Tier 4…

Pinehurst #4…Fazio’s version of #2.  Played really fast and firm when I was there.  And I didn’t mind the look of the pot bunkers.

Paiute (Wolf)…FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

Inwood…Quirk at its finest.  Cemented Strong as my favorite architect!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #455 on: December 06, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »
Kiawah ahead of Seminole? Wow- would like to know why. I thought Ocean was pretty good but not even in my top40 or 50.
                  Jack

Karl Kocher

« Reply #456 on: December 06, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Shinnecock
Pine valley
Merion
Waterville
Kiawah Ocean
Olympic Club
Pebble Beach
TPC Sawgrass
Pinehurst #2
Royal St. Georges
Butler National
Winged Foot W.
National
Aronomink
Turnberry
Cabo Del Sol
Harbortown
OFCC North
Whistling Straights
St. Andrews
Seminole
Hoylake
Blackwolf Run river
Chambers Bay
Troon
Congo
Shoreacres
Crooked Stick
Medinah
sahalee
Laurel Valley

Sorry, that is 31....I was on a roll.  Best 2010 summer anyone (Shinny, National, Oakmont, Laurel,
Sahalle, Chambers Bay, Butler, OFCC, Congo,Whistling, Blackwolf)?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #457 on: December 06, 2010, 04:21:26 PM »
Kiawah ahead of Seminole? Wow- would like to know why. I thought Ocean was pretty good but not even in my top40 or 50.
                  Jack

Jack...

Perhaps these links will answer your question regarding my opinion of these courses.  Of course, these are only my opinions regarding why they rank where they do in my list of "favorites". 

http://www.mrpgolf.com/kiawah_ocean.html

http://www.mrpgolf.com/Seminole.html

If you have time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you like or don't like these courses.

George Freeman

« Reply #458 on: December 06, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »
Shinnecock
Pine valley
Merion
Waterville
Kiawah Ocean
Olympic Club
Pebble Beach
TPC Sawgrass
Pinehurst #2
Royal St. Georges
Butler National
Winged Foot W.
National
Aronomink
Turnberry
Cabo Del Sol
Harbortown
OFCC North
Whistling Straights
St. Andrews
Seminole
Hoylake
Blackwolf Run river
Chambers Bay
Troon
Congo
Shoreacres
Crooked Stick
Medinah
sahalee
Laurel Valley

Sorry, that is 31....I was on a roll.  Best 2010 summer anyone (Shinny, National, Oakmont, Laurel,
Sahalle, Chambers Bay, Butler, OFCC, Congo,Whistling, Blackwolf)?

Karl,

Oakmont didn't make you're top 31??
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Matt_Ward

« Reply #459 on: December 06, 2010, 04:49:16 PM »
Mac:

Good call on TGC -- often gets overlooked by many on this site -- likely tied to the accessibility issue for many.

I too liked Dismal River but there were a few changes that Team Nicklaus did there to deal with clear playability issues -- did you play the course after Jack's work was done there in response to those issues ?

Glad to see you mentioned Sebonack high -- just a quick question -- no mention of Shinnecock. Were you able to play it ?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #460 on: December 06, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »
Matt...

I played Dismal River this summer, so I think it was after some of the changes.  But it is my understanding they are changing 18 as we speak. 

On Shinnecock, I haven't played it yet.  But I've got it surrounded though!!   :D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #461 on: December 06, 2010, 05:27:27 PM »
Mac:

You have Ballyneal and Dismal on the same level.

Can you explain that in greater detail ?

Karl Kocher

« Reply #462 on: December 06, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
Whoops, Oakmont after Waterville and before Kiawah....

jonathan_becker

« Reply #463 on: December 06, 2010, 09:03:30 PM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:30:59 AM by jonathan_becker »

JC Jones

« Reply #464 on: December 06, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »
Hey JB,

Does your girlfriend let you play golf?

Do you think Merion is over-rated because of the mowing lines?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #465 on: December 06, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »
I'll take the cop out route and go alphabetically.  However, I put an asterisk next to my preferred 10.

I'm sure I've forgotten something....

Scioto?!   ;)
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #466 on: December 06, 2010, 10:03:18 PM »
JC,

:D ;D

Ron,

But of course!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #467 on: December 06, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »
Mac:

You have Ballyneal and Dismal on the same level.

Can you explain that in greater detail ?

Matt...

I'll do my best.

I find both courses to be visually striking.  Ballyneal's landscape has the great Chop Hills area to play in and around and as a backdrop, while Dismal River's landscape and views are dramatic and mind blowing.  Either way you slice it, the views are amazing and the grounds for golf are damn near ideal.

The challenge at Ballyneal is the greens and actually getting the ball in the hole, while at Dismal the challenge seems to be actually getting to the greens.  That is not to say that the angles and approaches aren't excellent at Ballyneal, but the greens are the apex of Ballyneal's course.  And at Dismal, many of the greens are very good...but the tee and approach shots are the main attraction at Dismal.

The club and the vibe of both clubs are excellent and being destination courses I find this important as there isn't too much to do at places like this except golf and hang out at the club.

I guess you might say that I consider each one to be the ying to the others yang.  And if you played these two on a regular basis, you'd have the driving and ball striking challenges coupled with the chipping and putting challenge wrapped up in spades.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #468 on: December 07, 2010, 12:25:18 AM »
I could debate this order for hours...

Sand Hills
Pine Valley
Augusta National
Shinnecock
Royal Dornoch
National Golf Links
Dismal River
Pacific Dunes
The Golf Club
St Andrews Old
Oakmont
Winged Foot
Los Angeles Country Club
Cruden Bay
Cypress Point
Scioto
Camargo
Fishers Island
Muirfield
Royal Troon
Crystal Downs
Seminole
Inverness
Muirfield Village
The Honors Course
Pebble Beach

Have to get to Ballyneal and Colorado Golf Club for more than a beer. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #469 on: December 07, 2010, 01:34:39 AM »
Chris - solid

JB - you've forgotten your passport.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #470 on: December 07, 2010, 05:15:08 AM »
I spose the courses I played which impress the most are those which cross over between Best and Favourite lists.  

County Sligo
Enniscrone
Lahinch
North Berwick
Old Town Club
Prestwick
Rye
St Enodoc
Woking

The Numinous Nine?  It may take many years before I come up with 25 of this sort.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:17:36 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ken Kearney

« Reply #471 on: December 07, 2010, 05:31:39 AM »
Brian,

I was out "west" yesterday... the roads are really terrible with compacted snow and ice. I dont know of any golf course that is open for play.
I believe the temperatures are supposed to reach 6 this weekend.. so maybe you might get some golf.
You best check with the club before leaving home.

KK

25 to follow..
KK.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #472 on: December 07, 2010, 05:40:37 AM »
Ken, Brian,

Carne re-opened for play yesterday so if the temperature stays up then hopefully...

Travis Dewire

« Reply #473 on: December 07, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
like to see myopia hunt represented more here, but i guess its probably rather tough to play

4 U.S Open's, and highest winning U.S Open score ever

course is a gemmmmmm

What about any of the other MA Open courses? Brae Burn, TCC, Worcestor, anybody lucky enough to play these??

Travis Dewire

« Reply #474 on: December 07, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »
these lists are awesome, some of you have had wonderful opportunities to play these exciting and rare courses

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back