News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Normoyle

SI’s Wind Tunnel Test of 12 at ANGC
« on: April 19, 2002, 06:38:54 AM »
In catching up on my reading I came across Sports Illustrated’s recent article (in the Golf Plus section) on the wind tunnel tests it conducted on a model of the 12th at Augusta.  The test was fascinating, and I wondered what others thought of it.

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of other vexing wind situations in the world of golf on the magnitude of the 12th at Augusta – what are some others?  Are there others, or is the 12th at Augusta so famous because of the exposure it receives each spring?

Sorry, I was unable to find a link on-line.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

A_Clay_Man

Re: SI’s Wind Tunnel Test of 12 at ANGC
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2002, 08:26:23 AM »
The 7th, 8th, and 17th at Pebble are spots where the winds trickery seems almost spiritual. At spyglass hill in the trees is a real test of calculating not only wind direction but knowledge of the where the back swirl comes into play.

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2002, 09:34:05 AM »
David,

If you want "vexing wind situations" visit any links course in Scotland or Ireland almost any day... ;D ;D And Pacific Dunes/Bandon Dunes and those Long Island courses have some pretty vexing wind as well.  :)

Seriously, I do think that the parkland courses like ANGC present more intriguing and vexing wind conditions because of the variability and difficulty in gauging both direction and velocity as well as the swirling effects trees create. Unpredictability=indecision=challenge.

All The Best,

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2002, 02:57:19 AM »
Apparently #12 ANGC is truly confusing because of swirling winds in that corner but the extreme shallowness of the green on the right obviously exacerbates the wind problems bigtime.

Having thought about it for five minutes, four holes come to my mind as hard to play with wind.

#14 Pine Valley:
The green is considerable below the tee and when there's wind it always seems so inconsistent and swirling from tee to green. Some would like to see Pine Valley opened up from its trees to bring back the unfettered effects of the wind but this hole is evidence to me that the confusing effects of the wind with this kind of elevation and trees is much more confusing. Although the tee is way above the green trees aournd the tee make the wind hard to gauge. Obviously the tee shot gets above the trees for probably 3/4 of the shots and the green way below has trees surrounding it which probably kills the effects of the wind near the green. The green itself is actually very deceptive in design as it looks more accomodating of a fairly good shot than it really is, particularly the right side (generally where strong winds come from, and of course it's a green that is essential to hit to make a par or better.

#9 Gulf Stream:

Reputedly one of Donald Ross's favorite par 3s. Only about 150yds, downhill to a green surrounded by bunkers it is about as perfectly oriented to the sometimes strong prevailing wind as I've ever seen, which comes at the hole hard from the right. The elevation exacerbates that shot and it's one of those shots because the hole is short and the trajectory of shorter clubs is higher and there's no runup that you have to really concentrate to aim the ball well to the right of the green and hope you've gauged things right. In strong winds probably 90% of the tee shots miss the green in the bunkers left or sometimes well left of the bunkers. This even for shots that start out looking OK. I'm sure links and European golf can be much more excentuated with strong wind but this particular shot has always been amazing to me--I can hardly believe how much the wind can move this shot sideways!

#4 & #14 Maidstone:

#4 Maidstone is a very large green over a pond of about 180yds but because of how it's oriented to the prevailing wind hard from the right or quartering into the player it just seems that so many apparently good shots get swept away to the left and miss the green. This is a hole that you almost have to hit the ball down or low in strong winds.

#14 Maidstone really doesn't need an explanation for anyone who has played the hole in varying wind conditions. Tee to green the hole quarters out to a green site set in the dunes and is completely exposed to the wind and although only about 150yds max can play almost through the entire iron selection. This hole could also be one of the most naturally beautiful green and hole settings anywhere. A hole like this one in strong winds has always shown me who even among very good players has a sophisticated shot arsenal and is willing to use it and who doesn't!

Oh, "Calamity" at Dunluce Port Rush has to be right up there in scary looking holes that is truly scary in wind conditions. A member said that sometimes even very good players and pros consider it a bit of a victory just to miss this one "green high left" in the chipping swale.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back