News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Rate this hole for me
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 04:35:42 PM »
Another vote for the "ground" game...

Hit the "power" draw (since the power fade was already mentioned.)

I am truly at a loss...what a design.  I have to believe that the utility feed went through after the course was designed.  The ponds look man-made and no jackass would locate a pond that close to a utility tower.  For that matter, the trees look man-made and spray painted.

I take it that we are looking at the lovely 11th hole, the second of consecutive par fives that open the inward nine?

James Harrison and Fred Garbin breathed life into this beauty in 1962.  Ahh, the golden age of the 1960s...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 04:45:12 PM »
Becker,

Did you apply the coup de grace yet?  Tell the faithful what the name of the road is, where lovely Chippewa resides.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Dale Jackson

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 04:52:55 PM »
Call me sick, twisted,  and dimented....but this is one of those  holes where its so bad its good.

Ok, you are sick, twisted and demented
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Joe Hancock

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »
I'm less horrified by that hole than I am that Anthony thought he was the funny guy.....

:)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

jonathan_becker

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 05:13:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies thus far.  A co-worker and I have been laughing at the responses, especially Mike's photoshop display.   ;D

Eric,

I totally forgot!  What an entrance to the great Playa Grande!

Ronald,

Once again, I totally forgot!  Chippewa Golf Club is on SHANK ROAD!!!!  :o ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 05:26:24 PM »
I'm less horrified by that hole than I am that Anthony thought he was the funny guy.....

:)

Joe

Funny Ha Ha or Funny................

jonathan_becker

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »
Ronald,

This is a golf architecture forum, so I should've listed the gca. My mistake and yes, you are correct.  Harrison and Garbin designed it in 1962.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 07:45:26 PM »
Clearly this is the best hole of it's kind. The two Kop Shot Ponds must be revolutionary. They are the most unique thing I've seen posted on here for a long time. 1962 huh? I'd have guess a different era. Like 1976.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 08:21:09 PM »
Adam:

I had to build a couple of holes along power lines like that at Quail Crossing in Indiana, many years ago.  It's sort of inevitable if you are building a course with any housing as part of the master plan, you are going to have to use the golf holes as a buffer between the housing and the power lines at some point. 

Fortunately, I managed to avoid putting the tee UNDER the power lines.  And the two holes (par-5 3rd and par-4 15th) are actually pretty good holes, although I'm sure a lot of people don't notice because of the setting.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 08:33:38 PM »
Tom,

I have no clue what Riverfront was like when you walked the property way back when but you do cross under power lines between 12 green to 13 tee and 16 green to 17 tee.  You don't notice the first crossing because you are in the trees.  They are no where near the line of play or observable from the holes.

They may have been put in much later than the course construction.

Mark Manuel

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »
Is it just me or does this scream for an episode of the Big Break?  Hit one to the left of the towers, one between and one to the right?  First one with three in the fairway gets immunity?
The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Matt Day

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 12:15:02 AM »
wouldn't the hole be rated at approximately 250,000 volts?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »

Fortunately, I managed to avoid putting the tee UNDER the power lines.  And the two holes (par-5 3rd and par-4 15th) are actually pretty good holes, although I'm sure a lot of people don't notice because of the setting.

Tom, I don't recall the power lines so the architecture must have been pretty solid.

I was surprised at the proximity of the power lines at Valhalla.

I am a little disappointed that Mike DeVries didn't make better use of the power lines at The Mines.  Joe Hancock missed a great opportunity to add value - what a putz.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Shawn Arlia

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:56 AM »
Having played Chippewa many times, its hard to defend this particular hole. In fact, ive actually hit those power towers. But the course its self is not bad. As jon said previously, the conditioning of the course is second to none. The hole that precedes this one is a beautiful sweeping dogleg left par five. The green has a strong cant to the left. And the hole after this one is a tough as nails par three that plays about 175 yards. The green is probably only 12yds wide and 35 yds deep with a strong slope back to front. Ive seen plenty of good golfers hit his ball from one side to the other side because he missed pin high in the rough.  As for the gentleman who complained why didnt harrison just move the tees to the right. Well, the green of #14 is there. And its a hell of a par four where you are hitting a long iron shot off a sidehill downhill lie to an elevated green. 14-15-16 are dubbed the bermuda triangle, (kinda corny), but they are each very good holes, and anyone playing these three holes in even par has probably gained two if not more strokes on the field.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back