News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jonathan_becker

Rate this hole for me
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:49:21 PM »
I played this hole in NE Ohio last weekend and I had to laugh the second I stepped on the tee.  This is hole #11 at Chippewa GC, a par 5 that's 470 straight up the hill from the back tees (really should be a long par 4).  Anyway, it's hard not to notice the massive amounts of power running through this hole (other holes have power lines as well, but this one is the worst) and there's a nice humming sound as well that greets you on the tee.  :D

Architectually, there isn't much, and I don't mean to bad mouth the course because the playing conditions at Chippewa are second to none, but I have to laugh every time I look at this photo because it's just ridiculous.  At $25 for 18, the price is hard to beat.  The best way to sum it up is that it's a below average course with top notch conditioning.

I hit my drive right below the top power line and turned it over nicely into the fw.  I hear people hit the tower all the time.

So, who has an opinion on this hole?  Could we give it a negative Doak rating? ;D

Feel free to post other horrible monstrosities that you guys have seen as well.  This is one of the worst I've seen in quite some time.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:54:41 PM by jonathan becker »

tlavin

Re: Rate this hole for me
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »
Great design around the utility's right of way!

I'm afraid to say it would make a  better dog park.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:55:59 PM »
I do like the way the fairway is draped over the land.  For $25 the power lines aren't that big of a deal.  You could have them removed, but the greens fees would be $14,000 per round.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »

It does not set up too good for the left to right hitter.

Anthony

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »
Anthony,

I disagree... A power fade right between the towers is the correct line to set up for a short approach from the proper side of the fairway...  ;D
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »

How about a split fairway bottle hole with a fairway betwwen the power poles serving like bunkes on a classic bottle hole.

Anthony

Dale Jackson

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 02:04:24 PM »
Just to play the contrarian, and ignoring the aesthetics, which is hard to do, imagine the right power pole is a tree.  Then it looks like there might be some strategy involved.  The player would need to choose whether to draw or fade around the "tree".

Hazards come in all shapes and sizes, this one just happens to be be metal and exceedingly ugly!

Having said all that, it is one ugly looking hole.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

tlavin

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »
Just to play the contrarian, and ignoring the aesthetics, which is hard to do, imagine the right power pole is a tree.  Then it looks like there might be some strategy involved.  The player would need to choose whether to draw or fade around the "tree".

Hazards come in all shapes and sizes, this one just happens to be be metal and exceedingly ugly!

Dale,

I gotta say, your glass is definitely half-full!

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »
Not exactly a Sand Hills windmill.  ;D

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 02:23:02 PM »
Was it impossible to move the tee 30 yards to the right?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 02:24:41 PM »
That smalll "grove" of small evergreens on the right side is not pleasing to my eyes or brain.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

jonathan_becker

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »
Kyle,

Yes, it's impossible to move the tee.  There's another green to the right of the tee.

And yes, the evergreen grove is very out of place.  I hope your brain can recover.  ;) ;D

Mike McGuire

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »

I suck at photoshop

Will MacEwen

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 02:52:32 PM »
For a lefty, aim at the cedar shrubs and cut it back towards the poles.

This is ugly, but we be kind of fun with a rowdy foursome - if your fillings weren't humming too much.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 03:11:57 PM »
Call me sick, twisted,  and dimented....but this is one of those  holes where its so bad its good.  I mean cmon, what in the world could the architect have been thinking by doing this....assuming those power lines were pre-existing.  Sure the tee can't be moved to the right but only because HE chose to put a green there. 

So put me down in the camp as one who would probably actually enjoy something like this....only cause its a course I didn't pay much to play in the 1st place.

There are worse examples than this...one in the bay area IIRC where the tower is literally right in the middle of the fairway!!  :)

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 03:46:31 PM »
at least the cart path is well hidden ::)
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 03:52:30 PM »
Call me sick, twisted,  and dimented....but this is one of those  holes where its so bad its good.  I mean cmon, what in the world could the architect have been thinking by doing this....assuming those power lines were pre-existing.  Sure the tee can't be moved to the right but only because HE chose to put a green there. 

So put me down in the camp as one who would probably actually enjoy something like this....only cause its a course I didn't pay much to play in the 1st place.

There are worse examples than this...one in the bay area IIRC where the tower is literally right in the middle of the fairway!!  :)

Use them like goalposts Kalen?

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
Anthony,

I disagree... A power fade right between the towers is the correct line to set up for a short approach from the proper side of the fairway...  ;D

nice  ;D

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 03:59:14 PM »
I guess no one has ever heard the old-time golfer's saying that power lines and towers are 90% air...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »

I suck at photoshop

Mike,

My nominee for post of the year. Just when I thought I was the funny guy Mike comes along and topps me by 10.

WELL DONE

ARG

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »

Anthony

Amen to that one.  I'm thinking aim right between them and let my banana ball do what it does best and I'd be in terrific shape.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ponds yet either, they frame those towers very nicely!!  ;D

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 04:11:51 PM »
At least the golf course is in nice shape.  Golfers will tolerate a lot of weird stuff as long as the greens are smooth and not slow and the fairways are decent.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Eric Smith

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 04:22:32 PM »

Feel free to post other horrible monstrosities that you guys have seen as well.  This is one of the worst I've seen in quite some time.

You remember this one don't you Jonathan? ;) ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 04:23:51 PM »
I guess no one has ever heard the old-time golfer's saying that power lines and towers are 90% air...

Keep em coming I'm bored.

ARG

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 04:25:36 PM »

Anthony

Amen to that one.  I'm thinking aim right between them and let my banana ball do what it does best and I'd be in terrific shape.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ponds yet either, they frame those towers very nicely!!  ;D

If the fairway is between the towers it would give the hooker and the slicer something to aim at.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back