News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Tripp Davis is posted New
« on: September 08, 2018, 05:29:49 PM »
 http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview-with-tripp-davis/

Golf course architecture discussions are recent phenomena, say the past 30 years or so. The formation of the Donald Ross Society and the advent of social media surely helped but interestingly, one ‘group’ was quickly stereotyped as ill-informed. Which group? Star players!  :-[ :-\ How ironic is that?! Animosity toward the good player was three fold: Pure unchecked jealous, the slew of mediocre residential courses attached to big name players, and the plethora of private clubs that had been led down the wrong path by their cadre of better golfers who dominated the green committees and advocated toughening via tree planting and narrowing. Ultimately, the nerds who liked to read and research mistrusted the ace player.

Of course, being a crack player doesn't preclude a person from becoming fascinated by architecture and doing what we nerds do: study and travel. This my way of introducing Oklahoma-based architect Tripp Davis, who has played in 7 Crump Cups and 15 USGA events. He talks about the books that influenced him and how his playing experiences at places like Pine Valley, The Old Course and Sand Hills shaped his views on architecture.

Early in the interview, he makes the great point that the ground game begins at the tee and ticks through the holes at Pine Valley where the good player is wary of losing control of his tee ball after it lands due to the (brilliant) manner in which sloping ground was incorporated in the driving zone. Tripp then describes the demands of hitting approach shots into the greens at St. Andrews, where holes placed on ledges require the player to use the ground to create solutions. He links PV and TOC together by noting, "I would suggest I do more to use contours in the greens at Pine Valley to let a ball roll out than about any course other than St. Andrews."

Being able to visualize what is required and then execute the shot kept him hooked on the game and he opted to become an architect in 1994 by starting his own company. Being your own boss is a very Texas/Oklahoma approach and one not without peril in such a name-oriented profession. He freely notes, 'I did not know much beyond how the game was played strategically but learning on my own may have been another blessing.  It lengthened my learning curve but the lessons were harder learned, and it may have been better for me to learn that way.' I respect that - get out there, keep your head up, keep learning and make it happen.

I have spent a pitifully small amount of time in Texas and Oklahoma, which is where much of Tripp's original work is located. As a fan of the Macdonald template approach, I am keen to experience The Tribute and The Old American. What work of his I have seen is Whippoorwill, where he started in 2001(!) with a few tees. Now, it is one of my handful of favorites in the NYC area thanks to the great job he and the club did in slowly teasing out Banks's work.

Hope you enjoy this month's very well-written Feature Interview. And remember: don't hate Tripp because he is a stick!

Best,
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:23:59 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Joe Hancock

Re: Feature Interview with Tripp Davis is posted
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:53:32 PM »
Another interesting interview. I particulalrly liked the glimpses he shared into the architect/ shaper relationship. I’ve never worked with Tripp, let alone even met him, but he sounds like one of those guys who make the sacrifices of being away from home and family tolerable. Thanks for giving Tripp and gang a platform to share with us.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 03:41:00 AM »
Nice insights from Tripp. I loved the questions Ran about can a 10 handicap playing from 6400 yards enjoy this course?  Oak Tree National is a tough Pete Dye, thus would be a real test as Tripp mentions.

Perhaps that should be a further criteria for the Custodians.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 04:06:19 AM »
Thank you. Always nice to hear thoughts from inside the business.
Atb

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 10:41:04 PM »
Yes, thanks, another good interview. I was struck right off the bat by Tripp mentioning that his earliest 'assessment' of architecture was simply in terms of trying to play the course better, ie shoot lower scores. I think that's probably a good place to start (for architects and golfers alike). For all I know, it might be a good place to finish too!
Peter

Jason Topp

Re: Feature Interview with Tripp Davis is posted New
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 10:10:24 AM »
I am a big fan of Old American.  It has nice variety and presents unique challenges. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:40:04 PM by Jason Topp »

Jon Heise

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:47:42 PM »
Has anyone else played Stewart Peninsula?  I was able to visit a few weeks back and found it to be a ton of fun.  It's also on Lake Lewiston and features only 9 holes.  The catch is that Davis built two greens on each hole (sometimes divided by a bunker, rough, or other landform), so you get to play it two different ways each time around.  Different tee boxes too.  Found it incredibly charming and creative - a great way to make a small plot of land very interesting!
I still like Greywalls better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back