News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

blasbe1

Re: Another LI oldie
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2003, 05:45:20 PM »
Tommy,
I haven't checked the board in while but that's exactly my point, we have at timberpoint what we lost forever (in WWII I believe) at Lido.  My late great uncle was a member of timberpoint in the 60s, shame the membership fell on hard times and he moved to FL before I was born.  
Anyway, it's one to dream about.  
JKB
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2003, 07:55:00 AM »
There's a good section on Timber Point in William Quirin's new book "America's Linksland" (A century of Long Island Golf).

This club was private beyond belief and Quirin tells an interesting story about the Suffolk County Mosquito Commission asking Timber Point's membership for a contribution to fight the God awful mosquito problem in the area.

The club refused, "preferring to contend with the insects rather than the masses who would find the area far more attractive should the mosquitoes vanish. They didn't and the members played at times with mosquitoes all over their faces." (Ahh, the lengths and trials and tribulations one must go to to maintain true privacy!!).

Anyway, a 1,500 acre estate adjacent to the golf course came up for sale for $250,000 and the club snapped it up only for protection. However, their evil archrival Robert Moses also had his eye on that estate and although the club had bought it Moses had it taken from them by nefarious legislation and eminent domain and turned into the Heckscher State Park.

According to Quirin, as well as holes like Gibraltar, the 11th, known as the "three island" hole was one of the more unusual ones. It was similar in concept to Lido's #18, offering the player three separated fairways as a tee shot option. Unfortunately the "three island" hole did not survive the years but its green is now the green on the Blue nine's 1st hole.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2003, 08:55:38 AM »
BB75 and Blasbe,
It pains me to say that as much as I would enjoy seeing a beautifully restored Timber Point, rasing fairways for drainage purposes means one thing--overwatering. The course was obviously close to perfect in its heyday, and its not like the watertable actually rose miraculously from melting polar ice caps. Yes, blame all of it on the constant of "Green." so what is the first thing they do? ? ? Raise the fairways of course because it is a fix, instead of actually anaylzing why it drained and wasn't a problem with the members before.

Please, if you could, get out there and get some pictures that show some of the greens, Gibraltor and other interesting features, as well as the "RENOVATED" holes. Lets see if there is a possibility of FULL restoration. You have one of the best names in golf course design (Tom Doak) making an offer --I suggest you/we/us do something about it! :)

corey miller

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2003, 10:38:26 AM »
the mosquito story is classic.  My two memories of playing timber point were the Gibralter hole into the wind and my father describing the hazards on one particular hole "water on the left side and mosquitos on the right." :)

blasbe1

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2003, 11:44:31 AM »
My in laws live in East Islip, the next time I'm out that way (and it's above freezing) I'll take some photos and video.  

BB75 and Blasbe,
It pains me to say that as much as I would enjoy seeing a beautifully restored Timber Point, rasing fairways for drainage purposes means one thing--overwatering. The course was obviously close to perfect in its heyday, and its not like the watertable actually rose miraculously from melting polar ice caps. Yes, blame all of it on the constant of "Green." so what is the first thing they do? ? ? Raise the fairways of course because it is a fix, instead of actually anaylzing why it drained and wasn't a problem with the members before.

Please, if you could, get out there and get some pictures that show some of the greens, Gibraltor and other interesting features, as well as the "RENOVATED" holes. Lets see if there is a possibility of FULL restoration. You have one of the best names in golf course design (Tom Doak) making an offer --I suggest you/we/us do something about it! :)

Nigel_Walton

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2003, 11:07:36 AM »
Thanks for posting the link to this fascinating thread. The most salient point made in the previous discussion is that there is hope that the county in charge might prefer a world-renowned 18 to a crowded 27.

bethpageblack76

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2003, 04:04:21 PM »
the opening of the bayside holes has been delayed till mid summer.

I'll try and get photos as soon as possible.

(I am bethpageblack75 now bethpageblack76 - not because I'm worse by a stroke, just forgot my password and went new name).

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2003, 04:21:52 PM »
Nigel,

I hate to be the voice of reality, but Suffolk County is not going to renovate their recent renovation, by reducing the number of holes from 27 to 18. The Suffolk County golfers probably do not want a World Class facility at the expense of their $30 waterside county course being taken away.  Bethpage worked because their are 5 courses at Bethpage. The average Bethpage golfer did not play The Black before The Open, and probably has only played it once since the Rees Jones work. Thus they did not give up anything to get a World Class facility that hosted a US Open.

Somebody mentioned taking it private. Just a guess, but the land alone is worth $15 million minimum (300 acres x $50,000 per) plus $5.0 million to renovate the golf course, and $5.0 million to renovate the clubhouse. In addition, any type of renovation work right along the Great South Bay is going to have enormous regulatory issues from the State of New York, and possibly the Federal Government as Fire Island National Seashore is across The Bay and is under The Feds control. Thus, $30 million minimum. That's a huge risk for any developer, even GCA's friend Donald Trump. ;D

Chick_Evans

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2003, 05:02:45 PM »
The USGA invested in the wrong LI golf course.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2003, 06:22:09 AM »
Back in March, I made a trip to the New York State archives in Albany to do some research for an article and a book I am working on.

In the archived materials I was examining, I came across the original blueprints for the "proposed golf course at Timber Point."

I was stunned by the incredible layout and use of bunkers that i felt were far ahead of its time. This should have been one of the classic layouts of all time from what I saw.

I will be back there in July for some follow-up research and post the originals at that time, as they will be done making copies of it for me by then.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back