News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

Simpson in Europe **** Chiberta **** PICS (SW France)
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:01:38 PM »
After the Colt (&co)in mainland Europe series a closer look at another prolific architect which has been very active in mainland europe. Though Colt and Simpson have similarities, there are huge differences as well, however the pair of them is responsible for 90+% of the great classics in Mainland europe.

Chiberta is a great links on the coast of southwestern France, just North of Biarritz. Unlike many courses in southern mainland europe I found maintenance here to be in the spirit of the era when the course was laid out; no fear for brown nor F&F.

In fact, untill the emergence of Bandon Dunes resort, Chiberta might have been the southernmost true links course in the Northern hemisphere.

Some of the holes suffer from growing in of trees and real estate, however other holes offer classic links golf with a very traditional look. The Hotel next door makes the course accesible to the masses, however the clubhouse and restaurant offer old world style hospitality and the simple and subtle quality cuisine that goes with it.

Holes of note:

1. 470 yds par 5

Tee shot:
Akward as a well struck drive may miss a narrow bottleneck on the right, which is prerequisite to negotiate on the first or second shot for those wanting to go for the green in two.

However for those succesful a wonderful view awaits to an interesting green site. Anyone playing here will wonder who is the fortunate owner of the estate just behind the first green. A sentiment that will reoccur during the round.

2. 365 yds par 4

Blind tee-shot; aim over the poll, akward as it seems left of target, however a well struck drive over the poll will actually probably end up on the right side of the fairway, with the best angle into the green.

Approach to the second:

closer to the green: You just have to love the look of this approach.

The second has taken us into the pure linksland; the tee of the third borders the sea wall and beach foot path. In the distance the Biarritz light house... 3. 403 yds par 4

approach to the third: best angle in is from the left: some lovely fall-offs/collection area's around the green.

Hole 4, 146 yds: Lovely par 3; again: who owns the place behind the green?

Hole 5; par 5, 470 yds.
Another tee shot hugging the sea wall. Reachable in two, but anything short will end up in a valley with a blind 3rd to negotiate.

approach:

Hole 6 is a slightly uphill par 3, 160 yds; 7 is a short par 4, 369 yds; the tee-shot is encroached by real estate sadly, but the green site is beautiful:

hole 8: Long par 3, 225 yds: lookback from behind the green, a safe spot to miss...

Hole 9, 431 yds: nearing the clubhouse the influence of the sea decreases; some trees narrow the fairway...

approach: The natural tendency is to bail out left which leaves a challenging downhill chip to a tiered green.

10. par 3, 152 yds: typical Simpson ribbon bunker on the right.

11. par4 393 yds
Usually upwind Tee-shot towards bunkered bottleneck; take on left or right hand side bunker or stay short of left bunker. Uphill approach to green tugged against the side of a dune. Mowing lines facilitate bouncing shot coming in from the left, away from the bunkers; best hole on the course.

approach:

looking back:

more to follow...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:05:53 AM by Cristian Willaert »

Cristian

Re: Simpson in Europe **** Chiberta **** PICS (SW France)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
The par 5 12th 505 yds:

One of the bumps on the 12th stretches across the whole width of the fairway; it turns out to be a tunnel keeping beach visitors of the course....

The almost halfpipe back section of the 12th fairway:

looking back from the backstop behind the green:

Hole 13: Short par 4 350 yds:
Tee shot:

green:

The 14th is a medium to long par 3, 185 yds,  with a wonderful horizon green: Please remove the telephone cables!

Hole 15: par 4 445 yds
Interesting Tee ball:

approach:

looking back:

Hole 16: 372 yds par 4
Tee shot:

Approach:

Hole 17: driveable Par 4 295 yds.

Hole 18: Par 4 385 yds. The only hole where the line of play wasn't obvious to me from the tee.

The hole doglegs left with following approach shot waiting around the corner:

The final Green:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:37:09 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:48:18 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Cristian. A shame about the encroaching housing, but a great course nonetheless.

Others to come? Hossegor, Chantaco?

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 04:26:30 AM »
Looks like a great course, even though you seemed to only play the left half of it :)

Any chance you could make the pictures smaller (800x600), so they fit in the window? Did you play the course just now or are the pictures older?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 04:30:38 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Cristian - I did not hear of that course when I golfed in Biarritz some years ago, more's the pity. It certainly looks like it has some great holes, albeit a shame as Alfonso says that the buildings encroach so much. I also look forward the right side of the course!

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 04:50:09 AM »
Philip,

It is a shame that you did not get the chance to play in the other places around Biarritz. There are a number worth a visit aside from Chiberta and Biarritz: Chantaco (Colt), Hossegor(Colt-Morrison),Seignosse (Von Hagge) and maybe Moliets (Trent Jones Jr.). If you extend your visit to Spain, then Neguri in Bilbao is definitely worth the visit.

Regards,

Alfonso

Philip Gawith

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:59:06 AM »
Alfonso it was about 12 years ago and i have a poor memory, but I am 99% sure I played Seignosse (maybe 45 min north) and Moliets - closer to town, hilly layout? It was a pre GCA life so I was not thinking too much about the GCA side of things!

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 05:06:47 AM »
Philip,

Moliets is far up north, close to Seignosse. Close to town, hilly could be Arcangues, but not sure..... A good trip anyway, although not sure how exciting after your recent US Tour.....

Cheers.

Emil Weber

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 06:00:02 AM »
Yep that's me, the owner of the house behind the 1st green.    ;).

The course looks very good, I like how it flows in and out of forest and links.

Cristian

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 06:30:47 AM »
I have tried to get the pics to come out smaller, but my internet connection is not helping in doing it easily. Until I have got it sorted one can click and drag the photo's to the left to see the whole picture. The right hand side of the course is much better, especially on the Tee shot at 3 and 5!

The pictures have been taken during my holiday in July. I also tried to play Neguri and even Pedrena, Afonso, but was unable to gain weekend access (I should have planned the part of my travelling holiday around the great courses of Spain's Northwest during week days of course, my mistake).

On a previous visit to the region I played Seignosse and Moliets, with which I was not too impressed, although Moliets has three magnificent seaside holes. Morrisson's Hossegor I played also; one of the most charming courses I have ever played, an absolute gem. Unfortunately I played it without camera!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:32:37 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Christoph Meister

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 06:36:01 AM »
Philip,

It is a shame that you did not get the chance to play in the other places around Biarritz. There are a number worth a visit aside from Chiberta and Biarritz: Chantaco (Colt), Hossegor(Colt-Morrison),Seignosse (Von Hagge) and maybe Moliets (Trent Jones Jr.). If you extend your visit to Spain, then Neguri in Bilbao is definitely worth the visit.

Regards,

Alfonso

Alfonso,

I have played Hossegor many times even though it is probably more than ten years ago - I really liked the course but it never became clear to me who originally designed the course, I allways thought it was a Simpson course but then there is also mentioning of Colt & Co. - Can you bring some light into this? What do you know about Hossegor?

I have quite a few vintage postcards in my collection from Hossegor which I could post if you are interested....

kind regards,

Christoph

Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Emil Weber

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 06:43:42 AM »
Cristian and Christoph,

I played Moliets, Seignosse and Hossegor with my team last year and had the same impression. I liked Hossegor best, especially th par-5 15th must be one of the best I've played. Moliets had the stretch of seaside holes which stood out while Seignosse, i dont know, was just a collection of mounds and grass... Morrison was the architect of Hossegor, according to my sources...

Tom MacWood

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 06:52:24 AM »
Here is a map of the course shortly after it was built. Has the routing changed at all over the years?

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 02:03:27 PM »
Cristian,

Shame you didn't get to play either. Pedreña just got its greens redone and they have told me they are in great shape. Neguri is great in spring and summer, but gets too wet afterwards.

Christoph,

I recall that I read about Colt's involvement in Colt & Co. but probably Paul Turner will know best.  I really don't know that much about the history of the course, but it is a lovely place. I would appreciate copy of the cards, yes. Have you checked the collection of postcards in their website?

Regards,

Paul_Turner

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »
Philip,

Regards,

Alfonso

Alfonso,

I have played Hossegor many times even though it is probably more than ten years ago - I really liked the course but it never became clear to me who originally designed the course, I allways thought it was a Simpson course but then there is also mentioning of Colt & Co. - Can you bring some light into this? What do you know about Hossegor?

I have quite a few vintage postcards in my collection from Hossegor which I could post if you are interested....

kind regards,

Christoph

Christoph and Alfonso:   Yes Morrison I think was the man at Hossego, maybe Alison too.  I think it just got redsigned (yet another!).  The club website calls the designer JIM Morrison (maybe a Doors fan wrote that).  Would be great to see some old photos.

I think I have an old pic or two of Chiberta too.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 02:46:51 PM »
Thanks for chipping in Paul,

There is a collection of old photos of Hossegor in the website. I have heard that Cabell Robinson (based in Spain) has done some changes to the course, mainly on opening some fairways and bunkering, but not sure to what extent the course has changed.

Regards,

Cristian

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 05:27:35 PM »
Here is a map of the course shortly after it was built. Has the routing changed at all over the years?

Thanks for that old routing map; much to my surprise the course seems to have changed very little, at least in routing. I only see two significant changes; the par3 14th is now longer with the tee behind no. 13 green rather than to the right. Also Hole 17 seems to have been shortened considerably, which explains the akward tee shot angle towards the OOB at present.

David Stamm

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »
Thank you Cristian. It's looks like a marvelous place. Are the conditions typical? The more I see of Simpson, the more I likey! Has anyone else been in there and changed anything?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Christoph Meister

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 06:35:33 PM »
Please find below some more pictures from a French Golf Guide dating 1931 - it also has a routing plan which for the length of the holes is identical to the plan Tom has posted here. I have also enclosed a postcard from Chiberta showing the 9th green - it is postally unused so dificult to date but I would say it's from the 1930s...

Christoph Meister

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »

Christoph,

I recall that I read about Colt's involvement in Colt & Co. but probably Paul Turner will know best.  I really don't know that much about the history of the course, but it is a lovely place. I would appreciate copy of the cards, yes. Have you checked the collection of postcards in their website?

Regards,

From how I remember Hossegor it looks very much like a Morrison Course, but somewhere I read someone was stating Simpson was also involved in Hossegor...I have checked the postcards on the web-site and some are the same ones I have - I still have to scan some more spectacular ones..but here are a few to start with:

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 08:54:38 PM »
Hossegor doesn't look like a Simpson. Morrison yes, I could imagine that.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Philip Gawith

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 04:17:16 AM »
Thanks for the old Hossegor pics - always fun to see those old courses. The hole emerging from the forest and coming downhill to the green is very appealing. Look forward to the others.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 07:01:20 AM »
Thanks for the old Hossegor pics - always fun to see those old courses. The hole emerging from the forest and coming downhill to the green is very appealing. Look forward to the others.

Philip: if I remember correctly the downhill hole is the 15th hole Emil Weber is also referring to as one of the best Par-5 he has ever played, an opinion I would share. I think the downhill slope of the hole is even steeper than it looks on the postcard. Will put some more postcards shortly...

Alfonso, Emil, Tom, Paul & Christian & all the others: I had a look this morning before bringing the children to the kindergarten - Cornish/Whitten in the 1981 edition of "The Golf Course" are crediting not only Biarritz-Chiberta but also Hossegor to Simpson - that is presumably where I got the
connection with Simpson - they are not talking of redesign - the way the course looks today it would rather be Morrision having redesigned a Simpson course - I will dig deeper into this subject and I am happy about any information someone out there might have about who designed Hossegor....

Christoph Meister

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »
Now I did some reading myself - Golf Illustrated (US) October 1930 gives some interesting information on page 36 "How Golf is spreading in France".

The article is written by Charles Bohana:

"Mons. Bohana is the best known golf course constructor in France, and it is interesting to hear from such an authority just what is going on today in the way of new constructions in that country.-Editor"

On Hossegor Bohana writes:

"The eighteen-hole course at Hossegor, near Bayonne, was opened for play last June and makes interesting golf. The sandy soil plus a forest, shrubbery and an abundance of ferns is not only areeable to the eye from an esthetic poin tof view but also allows play all year round."

Now it becomes more interesting - a few pages later there is an advert from Charles Bouhana, where he is stating famous Golf courses he constructed with Messrs. Simpson & Ross of London, and Mr. Colt of London:

Unfortunately it does not come clear from the advert which of the courses Bouhana built are Simpson and which are Colt...but have a look for yourself...

At the bottom of this post you find a picture from Chiberta from the same magazine stating "..Chiberta is an exceptionally fine course and most popular with the visitors to fashionable Biarritz which draws visitors from every quarter of the civilized world"

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:51:44 AM by Christoph Meister »

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »
Christoph,

Nice piece on Bouhana.

I have revised the list of courses done by Simpson, included in his advertising prospectus and Hossegor is not listed. I think this does evidence that he was not there - at least as an architect.

Regards,

Alfonso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back