GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Quaker Ridge GC (Tillinghast) in Scarsdale, NY

<< < (2/22) > >>

Phil_the_Author:
In 1917, Tillinghast was commissioned to redesign 7 existing holes and 11 new ones.  The new course opened in 1918.

In 1925, after the club purchased additional property at its northern corner, the Club brought Tillinghast back to lengthen the course and change a few holes.

Stu Grant:
I thought that collectively, the first 5 holes at QR were pretty ordinary.

#1 is a pretty good par 5 with some risk/reward elements if you try and challenge the OB and go for the green in two. 

#2 and #3 are standard-far par 4s with little to inspire, in fact by the third hole (one-sixth of the way thru the round already) I’m starting to wonder what is supposed to be so special about this course. 

#4 in my opinion is quite a strong hole (the best of the first 5), then #5 is a standard pond-in-front-of-the-green par-3, nothing that I haven’t seen before.

At this point of the round I’m also noticing that wow, there is OB right on every single hole so far.  Not great variety in that respect.

I certainly recognize that there are some great holes as we get further into the round at QR, but for a course to be considered in the top 50 in the United States I think that the course should be exceptional for the entire round, or at least nearly the entire round.

I respect my fellow GCAs opinions and want to improve my eye for great golf courses.  So please tell me what I am missing about QR, in particular the first 5 holes or roughly first 30% of the golf course.  I’m just not seeing greatness, at least not “top 50 in the USA type of greatness” given the strength of the overall USA golf landscape.

Tom MacWood:

--- Quote from: Philip Young on October 26, 2009, 07:08:27 AM ---In 1917, Tillinghast was commissioned to redesign 7 existing holes and 11 new ones.  The new course opened in 1918.

In 1925, after the club purchased additional property at its northern corner, the Club to bring Tillinghast back to lengthen the course and change a few holes.

--- End quote ---

Phil
What evidence have you found that suggests Tilly came back in 1925?

Phil_the_Author:
Tom,

"What evidence have you found that suggests Tilly came back in 1925?"

It is contained in the club's own records and published history.

What evidence do you have that suggests that he did not and that someone else did?

TEPaul:
"It is contained in the club's own records and published history."

Uh-Oh, Phil, that kind of explanation and answer never worked for me with Tom MacWood. Let's hope it works better for you for some reason!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version