GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Quaker Ridge GC (Tillinghast) in Scarsdale, NY

<< < (22/22)

Jaeger Kovich:
Patrick - I think we generally disagree on this. To say that the landforms are almost irrelevant in anyones architecture is something I cannot agree with. Isn't one of the main beliefs on what made Tillinghast such a great architect that his style was constantly evolving and changing to fit each site, yet somehow you can always seem that get the general feeling that you are on one of his courses?.. In that way, we are both correct, we are just zeroing in on the opposite side of the point.

You want some similarities?! ...

Green sites are heavily bunkered: Off the top of my head I can only think of 1 hole on WFW, WFE and QR that doesn't have sand on both sides. (WFW 18, WFE 17 and QR 6... the original QR 18 didn't have a bunker right, but Gil has not been given the go ahead to remove it)

Heavily contoured elevated greens

Green contours that continue out into a relate to the approaches (Tilly's #1 design concept in my mind)

QR #15 and WFW #15 share the same template

QR #14 and Fenway #3 share the same template

The use of specimen trees both visually and strategically

... Yes there are similarities, but I still contend that it is the landscapes and differences that forces him to apply his theories in different ways that makes these 4 so good in my mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version