News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: The definition of a Cape hole?
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »
You  ;D or Phil, if he so chooses.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 11:55:03 AM »
You said:

“You're saying that sandy areas, bunkers, waste areas, mounds are all synonymous, therefore they all play alike when used in the same configuration.”

I said:

“I think what Tillie was saying is that even if different types of architectural features (water (water hazards), sandy areas not considered to be hazards (bunkers), mounds, bunkers, trees etc) often seems to some to be synonymous and completely interchangeable architectural features that in the minds of some or perhaps most golfers they really are not for reasons that should be pretty obvious that are reflected within the Rules of Golf, among other things.

For instance, would I (or presumably numerous other golfers) think somewhat differently about strategy if a green was pretty much surrounded by water rather than a sandy area for instance?  You bet I would!”

I cannot see where I said I think they are synonymous! Can you see where I said I think they are synonymous?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 11:57:52 AM »
Jim,

What must be appreciated in the differences with Tilly's view and definition of a Cape hole versus others is the nature of the sites upon which he was building them. They weren't near the ocean or other water. He therefor explained that a "Cape" hole could be created without this by using natural features that would punish the player nearly in the same way as hitting into water would. A greenside bunker and rough area wouldn't really fit the bill. That is why he tucked his cape hole green sites out into areas where the player would have to carry over this natural hazard area. There could be a bunker fronting the green site just as one might find one between the ocean and putting surface on a true seaside Cape, but the "Cape" hazard was larger and as non-manufactured as possible.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 12:11:02 PM »
Phil,
I do appreciate that, but I don't think that creates enough of a 'difference' to label it a third style of Cape. If you were hit a ball into the manufactured bunkers (especially the original versions) to the left of #2 green at Yale, or worse, to the left of #8, you'd have a near-death experience that could be more  troublesome than some little ol' water hazard.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:15:55 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 12:17:59 PM »
Jim,

I think I see the problem here; I believe you misunderstood Tilly's quote that I used and that's because I didn't introduce it well. When Tilly stated, "There is still a third variation..." he wasn't refering to a third style of Cape, but rather to a third variation of a two-shot hole whose fairway turned, the first two being a dog-leg and an elbow.

Tilly's definition of all three are simply his own for how he would go abouit designing a hole of that type.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:32:31 PM by Philip Young »

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 12:26:21 PM »
Can someone explain why #12 at WFW is called Cape?

To me it seems like none of the definitions seem to fit this hole.

Personally - When I am explaining a cape hole to someone, I always use #18 at Pebble as an example.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »
Thanks Phil, got it now.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 12:40:35 PM »
Jaeger,

It is called "Cape" because that is the name that Tilly himself gave it. Did he consider it a "Cape" hole? That is hard to say because, if he did, it would have been stretching his definition to fit. Of course, he may have viewed the sand in the front and left of the green to be waste area rather than a bunker... but that is only a guess... 

TEPaul

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »
I think one of the reasons the definition of a Cape Hole confuses people is there is little question that various architects back then really did describe them differently. For instance, when Macdonald described the cape hole he pretty much used his iteration of it at Mid Ocean and when he described its features he pretty much got into describing the tee shot on it (his tee shot or shots).

He probably did that because apparently someone on the tee with him asked him if he could hit a dog running down the fairway (the carry distance on the tee shot mattered due to the water on its left) and Goll-Dang if C.B. didn't damn near hit that dog with his tee shot.

So today for maximum architectural/definitional exactitude we should probably qualify that Cape Hole at Mid Ocean as "The hit the dog running down the fairway in the ass with your tee shot" architectural type of Cape Hole.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:51:20 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 12:55:10 PM »
Jaeger,

It is called "Cape" because that is the name that Tilly himself gave it. Did he consider it a "Cape" hole? That is hard to say because, if he did, it would have been stretching his definition to fit. Of course, he may have viewed the sand in the front and left of the green to be waste area rather than a bunker... but that is only a guess... 

The Cape concept comes from a hole at Royal North Devon. To my knowledge Tilly never visited Westward Ho! so prusumably his verion of the hole was based upon his exposure Macdonald's concept.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »
Here is a link to an article written by Macdonald & Whigham:

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/GolfIllustrated/1914/gi5h.pdf

TEPaul

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »
Personally I've always felt the decision to put the road along the shoreline and ditch that original Cape Hole's green in the process (a decision obviously agreed to by Macdonald) is one crying shame. I've always felt the original road to the clubhouse (or clubhouse site) running right through the middle of the property (used today as a maintenance road) was just fine (terrific actually).

However, I do understand that perhaps part of the consideration or the decision to put the road along the shoreline (and the NGLA driveway much farther along) may've had to do with access for those other than NGLA people to that beach or land past NGLA along Peconic Bay.

Nevertheless, IMO sarcficing that original Cape Hole green is a tragedy!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 01:41:16 PM »
Tom,

Your knowledge and conclusion are not fact. "The Cape concept comes from a hole at Royal North Devon. To my knowledge Tilly never visited Westward Ho! so prusumably his verion of the hole was based upon his exposure Macdonald's concept."

Tilly travelled throughout the UK during his several trips there and did not limit himself to the Eastern Scottish courses as some think. It is quite possible and likely that he did visit Westward Ho despite your not being aware of it. Tilly visited many courses throughout both Scotland and England that many are unaware of. Still, whether he visited the course or not doesn't have anything to do with his developing his own theory as to what characteristics a "Cape" hole should contain.

That your statement that his version of the hole was based upon exposure to Macdonald's concept is based upon your personal past stated concept that Tilly's design philosophies were greatly influenced by Macdonald, this despite his own written words that completely contradict this idea that I have shared with you in the past.

That you believe it to be so is certainly your privilege; stating it as proven and accepted fact is simply not true.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 02:10:38 PM »
Actually, I think I was wrong about the Westward Ho! Cape being the inspiration. Macdonald's concept was an original and not related to the famous British hole. Of all the holes at NGLA the Cape got the most buzz. It was predicted it would become one of the most famous holes in America; apparently Tilly was impressed.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:19:52 PM by Tom MacWood »

DMoriarty

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 02:22:22 PM »
Tilly had a bit of a different take on defining what a "Cape" hole is. For the most part, he viewed it as a two-shotter with a particular bend to the hole that was different than a "dog-leg" or "elbow" hole. After defining those in his 1917 booklet "Planning The Golf Course" he wrote:

"There is still a third variation, where a corner is formed close by the green itself, usually by the encroachment of a hillside or a sandy waste, and this type is known as a Cape hole."

Notev the distinction in design features from what has been shown in some of the photos above. To Tilly, simply because the a greeen was offset with a fronting bunker and some rough didn't fit HIS definition of a Cape. In his mind the fronting area needed to be "waste" or simulated as such rather than a clearly manufactured hazard. It was to mimic the natural features found by a green that juts out into the water which was not to be found on inland courses.

In 1922/23 he built a Cape hole at brook Hollow with a small copse of trees serving as this natuarl hazard, a variation then on his own definiotion.

Phil,

I think Tillie's understanding of the hole was very much the same as CBM's, Wilson's, Flynn's, Crump's, etc.   It had to do with the green in relation to the fairway.   Not sure why you write that Tillie's understanding was different, because I think in the past you have written that his understanding was consistent with that of CBM, Wilson, Flynn, etc.  

It is only the modern understanding that has gotten garbled, as far as I can tell.   None of these guys required water to make a cape hole, but substituted other trouble for it on inland courses.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:25:21 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2009, 02:34:54 PM »
David,

I believe you misunderstood what I wrote. I stated, "Tilly had a bit of a different take on defining what a "Cape" hole is. For the most part, he viewed it as a two-shotter with a particular bend to the hole that was different than a "dog-leg" or "elbow" hole..."

Note the examples shown before that satement on the thread and you'll see that they are all the classic par-three type of Cape hole. That is why I stated that Tilly viewed it mostly as a two-shotter and designed almost all of his that way. The "Cape" features are similar to what other architects used in their designs yet different in that they rarely, if ever, involved a water carry in Tilly's use of the hyole type.

To the best of my knowledge and memory, I have never written that his understanding of the Cape hole type was consistent with CBM, Wilson, Flynn or any other architect. Neither did I ever write that it wasn't. I have only written what Tilly's personal view of a Cape hole (and many others as well) and used his own defining words to describe and explain it.

For erxample, I once posted that tilly's view of a dog-leg and elbow holes were quite different from each other. Tom Doak responded by stating that he had always thought that Tilly looked upon them as a variation of a theme. I responded by pointing out how very different Tilly's descriptions of the features are for each one and so they are quite separate and distinct...

DMoriarty

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »
David,

I believe you misunderstood what I wrote. I stated, "Tilly had a bit of a different take on defining what a "Cape" hole is. For the most part, he viewed it as a two-shotter with a particular bend to the hole that was different than a "dog-leg" or "elbow" hole..."

Note the examples shown before that satement on the thread and you'll see that they are all the classic par-three type of Cape hole. That is why I stated that Tilly viewed it mostly as a two-shotter and designed almost all of his that way. The "Cape" features are similar to what other architects used in their designs yet different in that they rarely, if ever, involved a water carry in Tilly's use of the hyole type.

Phillip,  all the examples I gave (and all of what were considered cape holes under the original understanding) are of two shot holes, not of par threes.     I would say that except for the original and the one at Mid-Ocean, the others' cape holes "rarely if ever involved a water carry."   The concept was applied to holes that most often involved other hazards besides water, and other types of hazards substituted for the water in the original.   Just like Tillie.

So I think if we are talking about the original concept, your Tillie distinction is without a difference. 

To the best of my knowledge and memory, I have never written that his understanding of the Cape hole type was consistent with CBM, Wilson, Flynn or any other architect. Neither did I ever write that it wasn't. I have only written what Tilly's personal view of a Cape hole (and many others as well) and used his own defining words to describe and explain it.

Well then perhaps I misunderstood.    Here is one of your responses to my earlier explanations of an article describing Wilson's "cape type hole" at Merion, the 10th, and my description of CBM's and HJW's understanding of the hole:

David,

You make a good observation in how the term "Cape" for a hole description was used quite differently in the early part of the 20th century.

In his advertising booklet "Planning a Golf Course," Tilly referred to three types of holes that had fairways that turned. The "dog-leg," the "elbow" and the "cape." This is how he defined it:

"There is still a third variation, where a corner is formed close by the green itself, usually by the encroachment of a hillside or a sandy waste, and this type is known as a Cape hole."

Note how Tilly defined the fairway turn to be "close by the green" and not associated with the tee shot. Two examples of Tilly Cape holes can be found on the 3rd hole at Brook Hollow (Tilly wrote of this hole in a "Green Committee" article he wrote for Golf Illustrated in 1921 and the 12th hole on Winged Foot West. Tilley even gave that hole its name... "Cape."

Both of these holes shared a common feature at the green, a stand of trees just short of it where the green hides behind in relation to the second shot in. Both have left side bunkers, but it is the trees that are the encroachment that creates the "Cape" effect on them.

It appears that the original idea for the "Cape" feature then was at the green complex rather than simply something that would require a long-drive played over  an obstruction to an angular fairway.
. . . .

Surely you can see how I took this as agreement with the others?  I followed this up by noting that Flynn shared the same definitions with Tillie (So did M&W by the way) and asked you a few questions, but you didn't answer. 

Anyway,  if there was a difference between the various understandings of the hole type at the time as compared to Tillie's, you haven't yet identified it.  Because what Tillie's would have been considered a cape hole for all of them, and visa versa.    Or are you suggesting that if the green caped into water that he would have called it something different?   I cannot imagine that this would have been the case.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 03:07:08 PM »
David,

Again you are simply missing what I said. I wrote, and I can't see how to make this any clearer, "Note the examples shown before that satement on the thread and you'll see that they are all the classic par-three type of Cape hole. That is why I stated that Tilly viewed it mostly as a two-shotter and designed almost all of his that way."

I wrote what I did because the examples on the thread BEFORE I posted what I did were of the par-three type while Tilly almost never did and defined his "Cape" hole as a two-shotter. This was an example of something different FROM WHAT HAD BEEN WRITTEN ABOUT UP TO THAT POINT! That is all.

That other architects designed "Cape" holes to be used as par-three's is different in concept and usage from Tilly since he didn't. It doesn't mean that the FEATURES that make up a "Cape" hole are not the same, but that the APPLICATION is different.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 03:17:12 PM »
Phil,
I went back over this thread several times and there aren't any examples of Capes on par 3s. Are you referencing another thread?

If the concept was unique to CBM where else could AWT have seen it?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2009, 03:19:47 PM »
...p.s I like how he made the distinction between a dogleg and an elbow.

DMoriarty

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »
David,

Again you are simply missing what I said. I wrote, and I can't see how to make this any clearer, "Note the examples shown before that satement on the thread and you'll see that they are all the classic par-three type of Cape hole. That is why I stated that Tilly viewed it mostly as a two-shotter and designed almost all of his that way."

I wrote what I did because the examples on the thread BEFORE I posted what I did were of the par-three type while Tilly almost never did and defined his "Cape" hole as a two-shotter. This was an example of something different FROM WHAT HAD BEEN WRITTEN ABOUT UP TO THAT POINT! That is all.

That other architects designed "Cape" holes to be used as par-three's is different in concept and usage from Tilly since he didn't. It doesn't mean that the FEATURES that make up a "Cape" hole are not the same, but that the APPLICATION is different.

Phil.  I understood you.  You apparently do not understand how other designers then used the term.   So far as I know Cape Holes were ALWAYS PAR 4s for all of these guys.   Sometimes a short par 4, sometimes a long par 4 but always a par 4.   The Cape at NGLA?  Short Par 4.  The Cape at Mid Ocean?  A longer Par 4.  The cape at Merion?  Shor Par 4.  The cape at Pine Valley?   Short Par 4.    Flynn's various cape holes?   Long and Short Par 4s.    The cape type 10th at Riviera?  Par 4.   The (arguable) cape type 6th hole at Prairie Dunes?  Par 4.   The 12th at Rustic?  Par 4.  

I don't know where you got this idea that Tillie's concept of the Cape as a Par 4 was original or even his alone.  It was not.   That is all I am saying.

Jim,

While again not original or exclusive to Tillie, I too like the way he (and the others) described the differences between Elbow and Dog Leg holes.  I think that what we now call a "Cape" they would have simply called a "dog leg" where one can cut the corner and has an option of how much to cut off.

As an aside, according to H.J. Whigham Old Tom Morris described these types of holes as like a "dog's hind leg" so I assume the term "dog leg" is an abbreviated version of Old Tom's descriptions.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:37:39 PM by DMoriarty »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »
Jim & David,

After reading your comment "I went back over this thread several times and there aren't any examples of Capes on par 3s" I went back ovcer it myself and saw exactly where and how I screwed up. I saw Michael Rossi's post #5 which is a par-three and my brain simply went into dumb-drive including my ignoring David's entire post, which frankly is a very well-thought out one, as I quickly scrolled down to where I decided to make my post.

I was wrong in the point I was attempting to make and ask for forgiveness for getting the thread quite needlessly off-track.

Jim, the concept was not unique to CBM and Tilly quite easily may have visited Westward Ho when in the UK. Now the argument may be made that since there is no written record of Tilly visiting Westward Ho that we simply can't assume that he did. The problem with this line of reasoning is that there is also no written record that I am aware of that confirms that Tilly visited NGLA before he wrote his 1917 booklet in which one could find his definitions of par-4 holes whose fairways turn, each type of which he had already designed and built at least one of. Tilly did have a distinct difference of opinion in design philsophy with CBM and wrote of it. He stated that they had a number of friendly heated discussions on this throughout their careers and friendship.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2009, 03:52:44 PM »
If CB and Whigham aren't to be believed when they wrote that  there was .... "probably not another like it anywhere",  who the heck came up with it?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »
David,

"I don't know where you got this idea that Tillie's concept of the Cape as a Par 4 was original or even his alone.  It was not.   That is all I am saying."

Please understand, I never said that Tilly's concept of a Cape hole was unique to him or was original. All I said was that he defined it in a certain fashion. As I hope you already see from my apology of my misunderstanding, I was simply trying to give a view of the hole type from what I mistakenly thought was another perspective.

You also stated, "I too like the way he (and the others) described the differences between Elbow and Dog Leg holes.  I think that what we now call a "Cape" they would have simply called a "dog leg" where one can cut the corner and has an option of how much to cut off."

This is not the view that Tilly would have had. He had a clear distinction of how and where the fairway would turn on these three different hole types. The "Elbow" would turn either without a hazard or with one that most players could carry with a "courageous shot" as Tilly put it, whereas the dog-leg turns around a hazard that it would be "impossible to carry over."

The Cape was distinct in that the fairway corner was always "formed close by the green itself." Therefor in his version it wasn't one of how much of a corner one could cut off as it was the angle of the shot that MUST carry onto the green.

TEPaul

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2009, 04:03:41 PM »
Something is not making a lot of sense to me given the material evidence (photos) of NGLA's Cape Hole (originally and today) on his particular thread.

The ground photo (the first photo) in that GI article (Tom MacWoods post) is confusing to me. What is Cape Hole green----eg the green you can see on the very left of that first photo (is that the 14th green or the original 12th?) or a green far out on that piece of land that goes significantly into the bay?

If it is the latter it sure doesn't look much of anything like the green promontory in the photo of that platiscine model (which doesn't go very far into the bay)?

There is also the matter of where the original road is if in fact that distant promontory is where the original green was (because that photo then shoud've been taken from somewhere near where the tees on #13 are).

And if that green on the far left of the first photo (Tom MacWood's imbedded LA 84 link) is in fact the original Cape Hole green there is the matter of that significant pond and concrete abutement in front of it----eg that doesn't show up at all on the photo of the plasticine model.

I've actually gotten out of the car on the present road and looked at where that original Cape green was and I believe all the concrete fragments one can't help noticiing along the shoreline on the right of the road are the concrete abutements to that original Cape green.

Admittedly, one thing I have never bothererd to do is check out the configuration of the shoreline to the right of the present road and I suppose that may help explain this seeming confusion with the material (photographic) evidence on this thread.

There is one other possible interesting bit in all this material evidence and that is apparently the original 12th green is not the same as the one there today (apparently the original contours were quite different). I don't know whether that means the original green was in the same place as today's green or if it was in a slightly different place.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:15:46 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back