News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

World's longest golf course?
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:33:16 AM »
Yep, longer than 8,000 yards. Maybe our Aussie friends can contribute.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8319749.stm

Rob_Waldron

Re: World's longest golf course?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:54:02 AM »
How about Erin Hills...8,348 from the tips. 80.5 CR 154 Slope

http://www.erinhills.com/scorecard.html

Pete Dye Course at French Lick is only 8,102 from the tips. 80.0 CR 148 Slope

http://www.frenchlick.com/golf/peteDye/index.jsp

Philip Gawith

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:56:31 AM »
I was being ironic Rob! Not sure how long this course is - but it is VERY long in a very different way! Still, the course lengths you cite are an education.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:53:53 AM »
Apparently, this is not only not considered golf here, but not even cartball.  I propose autoball.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JSPayne

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »
You could attack this question from multiple angles. There are "courses" played across ice glaciers. There are "courses" played cross country through wilderness and deserts. But if you want to talk more or less legitimate golf courses.....

Sevillano Links, John Daly Signature course (would you expect anything less?), in Corning, CA can be played as a par 90, all par 5s, 9443 yards. I played it. It gets goofy because the course is normally played as a regulation par 72 (still 7823 from the John Daly tees) and only gets stretched to the par 90 course for special events/tournaments, but it's still legitimately a golf course and not some extreme golfing adventure. BTW....I shot 110.  ;D

I do believe I read an article a long time ago about longer courses as well. For par 72s, the ones already stated above may be the longest. But there are other courses longer with different pars. I recall one article about a course much longer that a 4-some of long-drive champions played for exhibition. I recall another course I think in Japan that is over 8000 yards as well, but has a par-6 or 7 hole or something out of the ordinary like that.

Guess I'll have to do more research.  ;)
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 01:02:11 PM »
Jade Dragon Snow Mountain Golf Club-Lijiang, Yunnan Province, China-  Par 72- 8548 from the Tips  (Still just a 3-wood and a flip wedge on most holes   ;D)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JSPayne

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 01:08:20 PM »
Confirmed.....if you consider this a reliable resource.  ;D

http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/long221.html
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »
I was being ironic Rob! Not sure how long this course is - but it is VERY long in a very different way! Still, the course lengths you cite are an education.

If it is the one I am thinking about and remember correctly, it takes two days to play it, and requires some kind of mechanized conveyance. Definitely not a walking course. I'll contact Rob about giving it a red rating on TheWalkingGolfer.com.
 :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »
The new Bro Hof Stadium course outside Stockholm was designed by Robert Trent Jones II and is 8055 yards long from the black tees.

http://www.strokesaver.se/banguide/scorekort.php?id=168

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:28:35 PM »
As I type I'm watching the clip on BBC.  The course is 1,478,400 from the tips and takes 5 days to play.  I think it is in the orange zone in terms of walking.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 02:13:41 PM »
Micromarketing to the walkabout segment.

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 02:21:41 PM »
Rich, I understand it's much more manageable from the Hybrid Tees  8)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 02:25:09 PM »
My friend Tom Coyne walked all around the extremity of Ireland playing over 90 Irish links courses in the process...that's the longest "course" - as he called it - I've ever heard of.  There is also that guy who "played" across Mongolia.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back