News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: BUDA CUP VIII @ Pennard 2010: Deposits Being Received
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 12:28:28 PM »
I'm thinking about getting to Kington on the way down or back up.  I would be willing to arrange a visit there if others are keen.

I'm game.  In addition to Kington either before or after the main event, I'll be trying to add Clyne on Saturday AM.  Where else should I try to see?  I've heard Painswick, Beau Desert, and P&K mentioned. 

Ben, the rugby game sounds like fun.  Would definitely be interested. 

Sean, the cheque is in the post.

I will be trying to go ahead and book flights in the next week or so in order to use the least amount of miles as possible.  Where I play isn't that important at this point, but I do want to get the travel sorted out.

John

Don't tell me you are trying to avoid a similar trip to playing Rye, driving to Deal for night, then driving to Swinley the next day?  Those are the kind of windshield trips which make memories.

Other than those mentioned above, you could go west, play Tenby and perhaps Cardigan.  Or you could drift southwest and do Burnham, Perranporth and St Enodoc.  Of course, Southerndown, quite near Porthcawl is wonderful.  It all depends on your time allowance and tolerance for windshield time. 

It seems to me that if you are coming from Heathrow that the easy extras are P&K, Southerndown and Burnham with Tenby as a day trip out from Pennard.  Anything else of note requires "extra" work.  I am guessing Heathrow is maybe two hours from Burnham.  Though, the better airport to fly into if possible is Bristol.  I think it can be accessed from NY or NJ.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Mayhugh

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 12:45:45 PM »
Sean,
A bit less time in the car would be desirable, though no regrets at all with this year's trip.  Well, I do wish we had played another round at Swinley, but I can make up for that another time.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll have to revisit some of your photo tours. 

Bristol is worth considering, but for me getting there is adding an extra airport stop and the more stops the more that can go wrong with the clubs.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 07:51:50 AM »
I'm interested, what's the deadlines here please?

Also how many attendee's are required for it to go ahead?

Gareth

As of yet, there are no deadlines, though I am told that I should be making reservations for Porthcawl no later than the end of October.  I would like to have a decent idea of numbers before booking.  When I do book I will try to pad out extra spots if the club will allow for it in deposits.  I don't know how many Pests are required to carry on with the event.  I spose it depends on how badly those Pests who have paid want to come. 

John

Dollars are dandy.  Sterling is stupendous.  Cash is king.

Ciao

Thanks Sean.

Will get back to you on this but certainly very interested in a couple of the venues highlighted here.

Jason Topp

Re: BUDA CUP VIII @ Pennard 2010: 9 Pests Confirmed!
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 10:05:13 AM »
My check is in the mail.

I will definitely want to combine this with another destination.

London? Liverpool? Ireland?  somewhere else? 

Better to travel before Buda or after?

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »
For those considering post-Buda golf:

Wales to Newquay by car takes you past the likes of Burnham & Berrow, Westward Ho!, Saunton, St Enodoc, Trevose and Perranporth, while also being amazing countryside. From Newquay to London on Air Southwest is a doddle, and cheap too - I paid 29 quid one-way in May. There are a few rental car mobs at Newquay Airport as well, so you could easily leave the car there.

Back in London, you've got the Heathland and Kent/Sussex links at your disposal... what could be better?!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 10:48:22 AM »
Boony and I are thinking of going to both Tenby and Ashburnham on the Thursday before Porthcawl on Friday. Also on Monday we might go to P+K and maybe Southerndown if anyone else is interested let us know on this thread.

James Boon

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 11:38:21 AM »
Blimey Ben,

I start out just asking you what else is nearby and before I know it you've got me on a punishing 36 hole a day regime for about a week!  :o  ;D

I'm sure some of those are possible, but I'd like to see what other ideas people have? And I'm sure this wont be the only time I head to the south of Wales in my life so I dont need to get them all in on this one trip.  8)

Burnham & Berrow has been mentioned a few times as a possible pre or post event. As Sean is busy sorting stuff out at his other course, if there was interest in a game at Burnham & Berrow I could try and sort something?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

Re: BUDA CUP VIII @ Pennard 2010: I Am Nearly Ready to Pull the Trigger
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 08:05:31 AM »
Go to first post for update.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Mayhugh

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 08:16:15 AM »
Sean,
Mailed my check earlier this week.  You should see it next week.

No to the dormy.  I would rather stay in the same location Thurs & Fri nights.
36 on Friday.
Yes to Clyne

Keep up the good work!

Eric Smith

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 08:45:13 AM »
Sean:

Count me in for Buda.  I mailed the deposit check yesterday.

Thanks for organizing this!

Eric

Stan Dodd

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 09:23:54 AM »
Sean i posted my check yesterday.  I am in for the Dormie house Clyne and will be interested in any pre or post golf.
Cheeers
Stan

Eric Smith

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 09:42:01 AM »

If folks could indicate the following I would appreciate it:

- 18 or 36 on Friday?  36.
- Dormie House on Thursday?  No. If so, single or twin?
- Clyne on am Saturday? Yes.

Thanks, Eric

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 07:52:35 AM »
Sean,

Unfortunately I am unable to participate in BUDA 2010, the gentlemen of Flossmoor Country Club are visiting Deal the same weekend.

I hope you and other GCA'ers will find time to join us at Deal during the year.

Chappers
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

Re: BUDA CUP VIII @ Pennard 2010: Pennard Confirmed
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 07:51:08 AM »
See update on opening post.

Ciao

Ben Stephens

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
Sean,

Could you also add me to Dormie House for 16th please

Cheers

Ben

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2009, 11:56:22 AM »
I think I will plan to stay in a B*B or inn in Porthcawl the two nights and drive over to Swansea the morning of the p.m. round at Pennard.  Looks like there are plenty of prospects in Porthcawl.  It would be nice to find something big enough in Swansea for the entire crew.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »
Sean

Yes to single room Dormie on Thursday
Yes to 36 Friday
No to Clyne

I'll get you a cheque out pronto. 
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 12:52:15 PM »
I think I will plan to stay in a B*B or inn in Porthcawl the two nights and drive over to Swansea the morning of the p.m. round at Pennard.  Looks like there are plenty of prospects in Porthcawl.  It would be nice to find something big enough in Swansea for the entire crew.

Ace

I would probably like to join you in a B&B/inn for Friday only.  I plan to make the afternoon Porthcawl game and dinner at the club if folks want dinner there. 

I would agree about the Swansea/Mumbles/Langland Bay hotel, but everyone has their own budget and preferences.  When we have a better idea of numbers we can give it more thought.

Ciao

Bill_McBride

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »
Sean, please add Joe Buehler as a probable (he's hooked on BUDA).  He'll send you the deposit check shortly.

Sean_A

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »
Ace

I was most impressed with Joe's stamina.  From Gatwick up to Huntercombe and then back down to Rye for dinner and the pub was an astounding effort.  Its clear Joe likes his black ale!  Ok, so yous had a nap on the back 9 of Huntercombe, but it was understandable! 

Ciao

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2009, 10:04:04 PM »
Ace

I was most impressed with Joe's stamina.  From Gatwick up to Huntercombe and then back down to Rye for dinner and the pub was an astounding effort.  Its clear Joe likes his black ale!  Ok, so yous had a nap on the back 9 of Huntercombe, but it was understandable! 

Ciao

I thought my par on that back nine par 5 won the match for us!

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2009, 07:48:40 AM »
Ace

Ciao

Ace

I don't mean you weren't any help on the back 9, only that the pair of you looked to be literally asleep on your feet for an hour or so. 

BTW - you were meant to finish them off in style with a long birdie putt.  I think par was always in the bag!  Though it shouldn't have been a winner - we have the African Animal's uncharacteristically sloppy approach to thank for that. 

Ciao

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 09:58:13 AM »
Ace

Ciao

Ace

I don't mean you weren't any help on the back 9, only that the pair of you looked to be literally asleep on your feet for an hour or so. 

BTW - you were meant to finish them off in style with a long birdie putt.  I think par was always in the bag!  Though it shouldn't have been a winner - we have the African Animal's uncharacteristically sloppy approach to thank for that. 

Ciao

If you think I looked a bit sleepy then, you should have seen me on the M25 en route to Rye!  It wasn't long before we lost your trail near the exit down to Rye that I dozed off for an instant.  Luckily I held it together and we survived.

That pulled pitch into the depression surprised me too, PG doesn't make too many unforced errors!

Eric Smith

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »
A recent pic taken at Pennard (from Golfweek):

Holy Cow! is this gonna be fun or what?

Scott Warren

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 04:31:28 PM »
I'm not seeing the pic. Just me?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back