News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

New Course Planned at Bandon Dunes - Yes, that would make 5!
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:33:31 PM »
http://www.golfdigest.com/courses/blogs/mattyg/2009/09/a-fifth-course-planned-at-band.html

C&C on the case for a 12 hole Par 3 course that play along the top of the dunes, or something - should be pretty sa-weet . . .

Scott Henderson

Re: New Course Planned at Bandon Dunes - Yes, that would make 5!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 12:29:02 AM »
As I recall, Kyle and I looked at that area and wondered if it would someday be used - and now voila!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 12:35:58 AM »
Rumor of this was whispered among staff members last November and corroborated by a certain GCA. I'm glad the project is still moving forward as that has the apearance of an amazing little parcel.

I posted some pictures of the proposed site in a thread about Bandon Trails:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37741.0/
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 03:01:39 AM »
Caddies were mumbling about it back in April.  There were flags out in the dunes west of the first tee and fairway out on Trails. Extreme contour out in those dunes; I'm excited.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 07:51:34 AM »
    The oriiginal conceot for the Bandon Dunes resort was 63 holes of golf, built over 7 years and the proposed first course land is going to be used for this project, as well as down towards the ocean. Back then it was deemed too environmentally sensitive, but theC &C lands weren't part of the emvironmental  issue.
     Should be a great compromise as the second course of the day when the ldayighthours are short or for those who can't walk 36,
as well as a stand alone course. What effect would this have on Shorty's?

Scott Weersing

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 08:32:22 AM »

I remember back when they were building Trails and I though they would go into the dunes. But only the first, second and 18th were in the dunes. Trails would not have worked with 9 holes in the dunes and 9 holes in the forest. I hope they are building a Lahinch type course in the dunes. They should build some blind par 3 holes as the course does not have any par 3 where you can't see the green from the tee.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 01:43:01 PM »
This is good and bad news.  Good in the sense that it is awesome, bad in the sense that I was trying to delay my next trip out there until after OM opened.  Now it might be delayed until this course opens...

Or maybe I'll just go twice in the next 3 years ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 08:35:50 AM »
For those that have never been there, the dunes extend all the way up to Florence, OR...  Most of it is part of the Oregon Dunes National Recretation Area, but there is potential for more great golf.

If you're interested in how Oregon ended up with dunes, check out http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/recreation/tripplanning/oregondunes/geology/geology.shtml

David Botimer

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 12:39:58 AM »
For those that have never been there, the dunes extend all the way up to Florence, OR...  Most of it is part of the Oregon Dunes National Recretation Area, but there is potential for more great golf.

If you're interested in how Oregon ended up with dunes, check out http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/recreation/tripplanning/oregondunes/geology/geology.shtml

Not to get too technical, but the "Dunes" actually don't start until Coos Bay, that is the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area as referenced in the above federal website.  Bandon Dunes is not a part of that, being about 25 miles south of the actual Oregon Dunes.  Regardless, Bandon Dunes and the "Oregon Dunes" are both beautiful.  If you haven't seen, it's a must.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 02:31:49 PM »
This is good and bad news.  Good in the sense that it is awesome, bad in the sense that I was trying to delay my next trip out there until after OM opened.  Now it might be delayed until this course opens...

Or maybe I'll just go twice in the next 3 years ;D

JC -

I was doing the same thing. I already booked August 2010 so it looks like I will be going back soon enough.
Mr Hurricane

Rob Rigg

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »
The place is like links heroin - once you take a hit of Bandon you can't stop - especially if they give you another reason to go!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 04:04:20 PM »
The place is like links heroin - once you take a hit of Bandon you can't stop - especially if they give you another reason to go!

Rob,

I'm more than hooked and I've only been there twice!!   ;D  I'm still trying to figure out a way to move there but with PDX being so far away and my wife needing to travel regulary with work committments, I'm a bit stymied!!   :'(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:23:40 PM by Kalen Braley »

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »

Rob,

I'm more than hooked and I've only been there twice!!   ;D  I'm still trying to figure out a way to move there but with PDX being so far away and her needing to travel regulary with work committments, I'm a bit stymied!!   :'(

I've been trying to figure out a way to move out there for 4 years and 321 days.  I cant figure it out either. :-[
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 02:43:30 AM »
Eugene is only a two hour drive . . . I think they have an airport . . . and the Ducks (which may or may not be a good thing for you)

Tough nut to crack that permanent move to Bandon - the drive from P'town isn't too bad though (relatively speaking) :)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 09:57:24 AM »
Even worse was my visit in August.  No golf clubs, no golfing.  Talk about a tease!

Why no golf?  The recession combined with $500+ per round (for Laura and me) and $220+ per night lodging kinda blew the budget.  But it was GREAT to visit!

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 10:00:07 AM »
Even worse was my visit in August.  No golf clubs, no golfing.  Talk about a tease!

that's why i could never attend The Crump Cup!
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 10:00:37 AM »
Eugene is only a two hour drive . . . I think they have an airport . . . and the Ducks (which may or may not be a good thing for you)

Tough nut to crack that permanent move to Bandon - the drive from P'town isn't too bad though (relatively speaking) :)

I suppose I could just put my foot down and say honey we're moving...

...I mean after all, Rule #1 in the house states "I'm the boss of the house and I have my wife's permission to say so!"   ;D

Norbert P

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 12:03:59 PM »
 I would call it the McKee Course.   Salute to Howard !   (Coffee this time)

That land is very special and rare and Bill Coore is the right man for its golf use design.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back