News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Jamie Black's Environmental Psychology is posted
« on: May 01, 2002, 06:07:16 AM »
Jamie Black's In My Opinion piece entitled Enhancing the Experience of Golf through Environmental Psychology is now posted.

Jamie starts us out with MacKenzie's quote "'Beauty means a great deal on a golf course; even the man who emphatically states he does not care a hang for beauty is subconsciously influenced by his surroundings."

Jamie then states that "To enhance the experience of golf first we must identify what makes a golf course enjoyable and why some golf courses are able to create a more memorable and enjoyable experience than others."

And that's where the study of Environmental Psycholology  can help!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

John_D._Bernhardt

Re: Jamie Black's Environmental Psychology is post
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 07:31:10 AM »
Jamie's article is a nice introduction to this complex yet base element of the subconsious golf experience. I found it well written and touching alot of bases that we discuss here each week.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 07:38:10 AM »
Jamie;

Nice piece of work!  

As someone who has argued that it impossible to divorce the functional from the aesthetic in golf design, your piece touched many of the germane points very nicely.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2002, 08:01:30 AM »
Jamie
Well done, I enjoyed it thoroughly. We share many of the same ideas. I just became aware of environment psychology a couple of years ago, and I could see definite connection between holes that were stimulating to me and many of the theories on what natural features humans are subconciously effected by.

Andy Levett (Guest)

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2002, 08:53:21 AM »
Interesting stuff. I wonder if there's a clash between what the untutored eye sees consciously or subconsciously as beauty and how the 'educated' eye sees things.
Examples I'm thinking of are green grass, blue water, flowerbeds, waterfalls  and mature trees.
The non-golfer (or the gardener or the guy batting it around one of the featureless fields in England Jamie referred to in his article) loves this stuff.
But most folk on this site want lots of the trees pulled out to restore the playability of the course, the grass brown-ish as a necessary side effect of firm and fast and as for waterfalls and other 'eye candy' ...
So the environment isn't  just what greets the golfer at the course, it's the intellectual baggage he brings with him too.

Rich Goodale (Guest)

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2002, 10:07:10 AM »
Andy

Very interesting point regarding "intellectual baggage."  I think Jamie makes the same point when discussing "tradition."

I often wonder how many of us on this site understand the depth and breadth of the prejudices and biases we bring to our "analysis" of golf courses and golf holes.  I know that I cannot separate my "intellectual baggage" from any asolute concept of what is "good" and "bad" on a golf course.  The irony is that you cannot prove this thesis, as it would be impossible to conduct any sort of properly controlled experiment to do so.  Fortunately, this uncertainty and relativity is one of the fascinations of this whole topic that we spend so much of our time discussing.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2002, 11:04:34 AM »
From what I understand about the theory it has to do with human beings inate survival instincts - the same instincts found in all animals. The need to see and but not be seen (prospect and refuge), the need to find places where one can be hidden or hide while also see anything that might be approaching are aestheticaly pleasing. For example the edge of the woods or among the dunes or a high promitory.

The third aesthetic factor from what I understand are hazards. Which could be a rushing river or broken ground or the ocean or steep fall off or some unknown creature - physical features which are potenitially dangerous. The hazard are the reason for the need of prospect and refuge. Without the hazard to react against the stimulus is removed.  Burke said 'that exposure to a sense of the power of nature, or better still to a sense of the infinite, was indispensable to the experience of the Sublime . . . , and this is simply stating, in eighteenth-century terms, that prospect symbolism and refuge symbolism also demand a hazard symbolism to make them work.' That is why steep cliffs, rushing rivers, the sea, and waterfalls are exhillirating there is certain inate danger involved which is quite pleasing to man.

There are a number of propects:

the panorama (wide view); interrupted panorama (imagination able to complete)

the vista (restricted by margins), usually defined by vertical boundaries; may be horizontal (under trees; from cave entrance)

secondary panorama (a vantage point elsewhere, potential view: tower, crag, horizon)

secondary vista: deflected (bend in river, curving trail in the woods, dogleg in the woods, pastoral view which disapears over the horizon), offset ( break in hedge)

There is certain mysterious appeal to the deflected vista, human nature wants to know what might be around the bend of the river or the trail in the woods or over the horizon of the hillside - stimulating that survival instinct and stimulating the imagination to create or fill in the image in our minds of what might lie beyond. All of these scenes are commonly found in landscape paintings throughout the centuries.

As far as the examples of green grass, blue water, flowerbeds, waterfalls and mature trees. They are not all universially aesthectically pleasing to all human beings - green grass or lawns are more developed western taste as are flowers. Blue water is pleasing (a hazard), but the wilder and more powerful the water the more aesthectially pleasing. A rushing stream or waterfall is more stimulating than a placid pond. And trees are aesthically pleasing as a form of refuge, but so too are pastoral settings and the most aesthetically stimulating is combination -- the house on the edge of the woods.

I do think there should be a ballance between aesthetics and golfing playibility, and utilizing natural features is good way of keeping that ballance. For example water can be aesthetically pleasing, but over use of water can result in boring golf  - especially if the hazard is man-made and is of similar placid character.

JakaB

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2002, 11:13:43 AM »
I would have loved the stream on the 18th at Barona if some of you bastards wouldn't have ruined it for me with your hootie tootie brainwashing concerning eye candy.  Now all I could do was look for the plastic trout.

Rich Goodale (Guest)

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2002, 11:47:35 AM »
JakaB

As you and Tom MacWood well know, one of the most important steps in mankind's evolutionary process was when that first fish wriggled/waddled/stepped out of the sea.  It is no wonder, therefore that we golfers are so schizophrenically inclined towards waterfalls and other similar features.  One half of us channels the salmon leaping up those falls to spawn and continue the ever upward ascent of our gene pool, the other sense an adumbration of being swatted by some grizzly bear just as we think we've finally made it to one of the upper pools.  Just think of it as the Robinson/Thomas paradox.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2002, 09:07:11 PM »
Tom MacWood,

I have a lot of thoughts after reading your post, but the hour is late.

I would just say that your point about hazards and our natural combination of fear & exhileration at facing them seems to me to be reliant on two visual cues;

1) That the hazard appear "frightening" visually.  When I hear people say "it's not how it looks, it's how it plays", I completely disagree, because I don't believe the subconscious mind is similarly affected by a hazard that appears benign.  

2) That the hazard appear as part of the natural world.  There is a raw appeal that is hard to describe that gets the adrenaline flowing as we seek to negotiate our natural surrounds effectively.  It's something primal and appealing.  However, even the most difficult, penal hazard that appears artificially contrived does not elicit the same gut response, and the inner self usually is somewhat repulsed by such artifice, often without even understanding why.

Good post!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back