News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: RYE: Bigness & Grandeur (The Redux)
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 12:39:08 PM »
Bill it's the par 3 7th on the main course that's above I think 3 or 4 on the Jubilee.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 07:14:29 PM »
Bill it's the par 3 7th on the main course that's above I think 3 or 4 on the Jubilee.

Isn't 8 below 7 on the main course?  Turning back toward the clubhouse?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »
Bill I just checked it is the 4th green of the Jubilee and it's below the 4th tee of the main course.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »
Bill I just checked it is the 4th green of the Jubilee and it's below the 4th tee of the main course.

Agreed, thanks.   That is a superb use of that dune ridge, both #4's!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:05:26 PM by Bill_McBride »

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24:31 AM »
Heading to London area in late Sept.  Thinking about substituting Rye for Wentworth as I've heard that Wentworth is not really
that great, especially for the high price.  For my week, I've got Addington, Sunningdale Old and New, Walton Heath,
Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill,   Royal St. George, and hopefully adding Rye and maybe Cinque Ports.  Any suggestions?

Sean_A

Re: RYE: Bigness & Grandeur (The Redux) New
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2012, 03:39:45 AM »
Wayne

I love Rye, but it seems to me that if you are already playing Sandwich that it makes sense to spend the night and add Deal - its a great course.  Perhaps Rye can come at a later time unless you can spread your trip to cover it now.  Rye is a solid day trip from London - you may want to consider taking the train so drinks can be enjoyed by all.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:34:47 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 04:05:13 AM »
Is Rye just a bit closer now that the Javelin trains to Ashford are up and running?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Giles Payne

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:45 AM »
I would definitely give Wentworth a miss and head for either of the links. I would not put Wentworth at the same level as Swinley, Sunningdale or the Berkshire. Rye and Deal are both very good and I think a far better experience.

Craig Disher

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 05:20:37 AM »
Is Rye just a bit closer now that the Javelin trains to Ashford are up and running?

Leave St Pancras at 0810 and arrive in Rye at 0916. A short taxi ride puts you at Rye GC by 0930.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 05:54:41 PM »
Wow, that's a dmned sight easier. It used to be Waterloo -> Ashford -> hire car. Of course, getting to St Pancras from proper lodgings in SW1 -- worse than trying to visit friends on the wrong side of Kent.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2012, 06:12:30 PM »
Wow, that's a dmned sight easier. It used to be Waterloo -> Ashford -> hire car. Of course, getting to St Pancras from proper lodgings in SW1 -- worse than trying to visit friends on the wrong side of Kent.
Stay in Islington or Camberwell, then.  Better parts of London and very convenient for St Pancras.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2012, 04:22:46 AM »
Mark - it's called the Victoria line and takes 15 mins to St Pancras from Victoria and a couple more from
Pimlico. If you think that's a tough journey I wouldn't even consider going to Rye or anywhere for that matter, stay in bed!!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2012, 08:22:49 AM »
London has a subway?

Sean_A

Re: RYE: Bigness & Grandeur (The Redux) New
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2017, 08:14:41 AM »
Its simply been too long since I last played Rye....impressive as ever.  It was good to see the crap cleared around the 11th yellow tee, right of 8 green and beyond the 17th green  ::) .  However, I was most impressed by the conditioning of the fairways.  I had a fear that the new watering system would be a disaster, but those fears were unfounded.  The fairways are firm with little sign of dying turf as we saw at Littlestone.  See the updated tour.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41494.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:35:49 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Matt Dawson

Re: RYE GC: Bigness & Grandeur (The Redux)
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
I always had the impression you didn't care much for Rye, Sean...?

Sam Andrews

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
Hi Sean,

Elsewhere on this site you comment that holes 1, 2, 7, 13, 14, 15 are arguably better from the yellows, would you care to expand a little more as to why? On 13, I think it is much better from the whites because the angle really challenges the eye.

Sam
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Sean_A

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
Sam

Other than tougher angles for #1 and #9 all the others are arguably better simply for shorter tees. I can easily imagine a 6000ish yard course with an SSS of 69 or 70 that would still be a very difficult course and yet far more managable.

Matt

I don't know why you thought I disliked Rye.  That was never the case.  I have a lot of time for Rye, but not so much money  8)

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back