News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Re: Starting Monday, 9/21 - Get to know Jim Franklin
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »
Kingsley Club and Mike Schmidt.

My kind of dude!

Andy Troeger

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2009, 11:23:47 PM »

At the one Summit I went to, I was surprised at the variance in ratings from some panelists. I thought some were overly critical, but others were far too lenient. I was also surprised at some the players. I was expecting a group of scratch golfers, but there were some erratic playing that day. There were some really good players too, but more average players than I was expecting. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

Alright I'll jump in...

Have you seen a fellow panelist that can drive the ball further offline (regularly) than I do?  ;D

Of recent trips, which would you rate higher just in the quality of the golf?

Southern Hills, Flint Hills National, Prairie Dunes, Karsten Creek, Alotian Club
OR
Circling Raven, Black Rock, Idaho Club, Rock Creek, Gozzer Ranch

Michael Robin

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2009, 02:48:17 AM »
Jim -

Hey we're 2-0! We're you at the OB when Kenny Calhoun knocked away that last second 2 point conversion to get us National Championship #1 over Mike Rozier and Nebraska?

Ric Quinn was a really good guy. Good swing, big arc.

Did you play with Neal Heaton, Jeff Morrison, Frank Castro, Doug Sheilds et al? I use to spend a lot of time at Mark Light Stadium. Remember Barry Bonds coming in with ASU. Saw Heaton strike out 23 of the 28 Indiana St. batters he faced. Are you a fan of "The Key" as we used to call it? Crandon Park golf course now. I lived in 960, then in the golf dorm for a year in Eaton, then had an apartment near Dadeland the last 2.

Were you part of the stunt where the baseball team took all of the furniture out of the football teams apartments and put it on the roof when they were on the road, only to have the football team take revenge by cementing in all of the doors and windows while the baseball team was on the road?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2009, 12:32:36 PM »
Jim, a few questions that I apologize for if they've already been asked:

Is there any architect whose work you haven't seen yet (or enough of) that you feel the need to see?

How does the quality of your play affect your rating?

With all the great courses you've seen, can you still get excited about playing a dog track?

Ed

I am not sure if there is an architect that I have not seen that I really need to see. Maybe the guy that did Morfantaine, but chances of me playing there are slim and none and there goes slim out of town.

I don't let my play dictate my rating. If I am having a bad day with the driver, I will drop a ball in the fairway and play in. I am not too concerned with my score. I worry about my score more when I play at home or in an event.

I love playing golf. I will play anywhere and as long as the pace of play is okay then the course itself doesn't matter. But if it is really slow, that's when I do not get excited about playing.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2009, 12:38:44 PM »
Jim-

Have you ever played:

1) Elkridge Club
2) Tobacco Road (what did you think of it)

Which is better, Pinehurst #2 or Pine Needles

Favorite hole at Caves Valley?

Happy that Miami has joined the ACC?

Ever been out the see the old MacRaynor 9 holer east of Baltimore....Gibson Island I think?

THanks!
Chip

I have played Elkridge and Tobacco Road. I really liked Tobacco Road and Strantz was a genius IMHO. I look forward to getting back there. As for Elkridge, I really like the renovation they have done there. Unfortunately, #6&7 are still there(7 not nearly as bad as 6). The thumbprint green on #2 is my favorite on the course. I wish I could get invited out there to play more (hint hint DC)

Pinehurst #2 is a joy to play and I like it better than Pine Needles. The greens at #2 arevery cool and fun to see what happens.

As for Miami being in the ACC, I think it is great. I would rather go to Atlanta or Chapel Hill to watch a game than Syracuse or Rutgers.

I have been to Gibson Island a few times, unfortunately never with my clubs.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »
I have played over 750 different places with my top 10 being CPC, NGLA, Pine Valley, Shinnecock, Rock Creek, Sand Hills, Pac Dunes, Merion, Oakmont, Prairie Dunes.

Impressive list, Jim.  What's your top 20?

The next 10 are Victoria National, Fishers Island, San Francisco GC, Chicago GC, Ballyneal, Sebonack, Friars Head, Pebble Beach, Crystal Downs, and The Alotian.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »

At the one Summit I went to, I was surprised at the variance in ratings from some panelists. I thought some were overly critical, but others were far too lenient. I was also surprised at some the players. I was expecting a group of scratch golfers, but there were some erratic playing that day. There were some really good players too, but more average players than I was expecting. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

Alright I'll jump in...

Have you seen a fellow panelist that can drive the ball further offline (regularly) than I do?  ;D

Of recent trips, which would you rate higher just in the quality of the golf?

Southern Hills, Flint Hills National, Prairie Dunes, Karsten Creek, Alotian Club
OR
Circling Raven, Black Rock, Idaho Club, Rock Creek, Gozzer Ranch

I can hit it off line with the best of 'em.

We did make two awesome trips. I thought Rock Creek was simply fantastic and would make that the #1 trip since we got in 36 there. Circling Raven was nice but not in the same league with the other courses. Idaho Club had some terrific holes and you needed to play well to score. Black Rock and Gozzer were both better than I expected although not as good as Prairie Dunes or The Alotian. Both trips were great.
Mr Hurricane

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2009, 12:51:08 PM »
I have played over 750 different places with my top 10 being CPC, NGLA, Pine Valley, Shinnecock, Rock Creek, Sand Hills, Pac Dunes, Merion, Oakmont, Prairie Dunes.

Impressive list, Jim.  What's your top 20?

The next 10 are Victoria National, Fishers Island, San Francisco GC, Chicago GC, Ballyneal, Sebonack, Friars Head, Pebble Beach, Crystal Downs, and The Alotian.

Yes, but have you played the Revere Jans yet?  Apparently not because it would have easily made your top 20!!   ;D

Jim Franklin

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »
Jim -

Hey we're 2-0! We're you at the OB when Kenny Calhoun knocked away that last second 2 point conversion to get us National Championship #1 over Mike Rozier and Nebraska?

Ric Quinn was a really good guy. Good swing, big arc.

Did you play with Neal Heaton, Jeff Morrison, Frank Castro, Doug Sheilds et al? I use to spend a lot of time at Mark Light Stadium. Remember Barry Bonds coming in with ASU. Saw Heaton strike out 23 of the 28 Indiana St. batters he faced. Are you a fan of "The Key" as we used to call it? Crandon Park golf course now. I lived in 960, then in the golf dorm for a year in Eaton, then had an apartment near Dadeland the last 2.

Were you part of the stunt where the baseball team took all of the furniture out of the football teams apartments and put it on the roof when they were on the road, only to have the football team take revenge by cementing in all of the doors and windows while the baseball team was on the road?

I sat in the Nebraska section for that game with a "Nebraska Who" t-shirt on. That was an amazing game. I have a pair of cleats from that game somewhere in my collection of stuff.

Yes, Heaton pitched against me in practice. He could bring the ball back in the day. Calvin James was a good dude too. I met he and Doug the first day of school along with Speedy Neal and Keith Griffin.

After hurting my shoulder, I ended up living in Mahoney my last two years. No car back then so I needed to be on campus near my boys that had cars and deep pockets. I lived in 1968 my freshman year.

Ric is still a good friend of mine. Too bad he doesn't play much anymore. I guess after I beat him last time, he figured he better quit ;).
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »
I asked Shivas if he wanted to play the Reverse Jans when we were there, but we played Shoreacres instead. Much better call.
Mr Hurricane

George Pazin

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2009, 01:39:51 PM »
I'd love to hear more about Alotian, you may be the only poster to have played there.

College in Miami - you must have a lot of stories you can't share on here. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Franklin

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »
I'd love to hear more about Alotian, you may be the only poster to have played there.

College in Miami - you must have a lot of stories you can't share on here. :)

George, I have some stories that would make your head spin. It was a FUN four years.

I know a few posters that have played The Alotian. I will find my notes and fill you in. But it was a terrific course and definitely not your typical Fazio cookie cutter.
Mr Hurricane

jonathan_becker

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2009, 02:37:30 PM »
"George, I have some stories that would make your head spin. It was a FUN four years."

Jim,

If only you had attended Miami in the late 80s, instead of the early 80s, you probably would have some great "Luke Skyywalker" stories.   ;D :o ;D :o

But, if you do, I would bet that they are the best stories of all time!!!!!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »
"George, I have some stories that would make your head spin. It was a FUN four years."

Jim,

If only you had attended Miami in the late 80s, instead of the early 80s, you probably would have some great "Luke Skyywalker" stories.   ;D :o ;D :o

The "Miami Vice" years weren't too bad.
Mr Hurricane

jonathan_becker

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2009, 03:31:20 PM »

Jim,

The "Miami Vice" years weren't too bad.

I completely forgot about that!!!! (I was born in '80).  I'll give you credit Jim, "Miami Vice" stories are probably better than "2 Live Crew" stories.   ;D  Thanks for being a good sport!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »
I have enjoyed my "getting to know" segment. Please keep the questions coming. I will answer just about anything ;).
Mr Hurricane

Garland Bayley

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »
How drunk were you when you crashed the golf cart at Rock Creek Cattle Company? Two or three times the legal limit?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Franklin

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2009, 04:39:27 PM »
How drunk were you when you crashed the golf cart at Rock Creek Cattle Company? Two or three times the legal limit?

Sorry to burst your bubble big fella, but I quit drinking 10 years ago. Stone cold sober my friend.
Mr Hurricane

Garland Bayley

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »
So it's your story that it was the boulder that was drunk and jumped out in your way. I can believe that. There is a tendency in Montana to abuse alcohol.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Franklin

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2009, 04:51:25 PM »
Garland -

What are you trying to figure out here? Was I drinking? No. Was it an accident? Yes. Please enlighten me to the direction of your questions. Humor? So far no good.
Mr Hurricane

Garland Bayley

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2009, 04:51:26 PM »
What have you played in Oregon, Washington, and Utah?
Anything good?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2009, 05:00:14 PM »
What have you played in Oregon, Washington, and Utah?
Anything good?

Oregon - Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes, Bandon trails, Eugene CC, Pumpkin Ridge (both), The Reserve. That would be the order of prefence as well. Ghost Creek would be the favorite at Pumpkin Ridge.

Washington - Chambers Bay, The Club at Aldarra, Sahalee. Sahalee is a little overrated, but very challenging and can see why the tour played there. I can't wait to see Chambers Bay mature. I loved my round there.

Utah - Entrada at Snow Canyon - It has been awhile, but I recall I enjoyed my day there.
Mr Hurricane

George Pazin

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »
Jim, I'm curious as to why Oakmont rates in your top 10, but Winged Foot isn't in your top 20. I've heard similar things from others who've played both. Both are certainly among the hardest around, yet most seem to have Oakmont "better", though that's some rarefied air both are in.

Is it the land? The details of the holes?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »
Garland -

What are you trying to figure out here? Was I drinking? No. Was it an accident? Yes. Please enlighten me to the direction of your questions. Humor? So far no good.

Oh come on. We Montanans used to tell the drunk rock joke all the time. Are you saying Montanans are humorless?

Did you hear about when I invited North Dakotan Jim Engh to go hunting deer? We were walking along a railroad right of way when a naked woman ran out of the forest, across the right of way, and into the forest on the other side. I asked Jim if he had seen that, and from his drooling mouth came the answer, "most definitely." I said I hope we would see that dear again.

A bit later she ran out again to which I hollered "are you game?" When she answered yes, do you know what Jim did?

He shot her!

Those poor North Dakotans get their dears/deer mixed up.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2009, 05:33:21 PM »

Sorry to burst your bubble big fella, but I quit drinking 10 years ago. Stone cold sober my friend.

It really was a slippery slope for lack of a better phrase.  Andy almost lost it during our 1st 18 and he was crawling down it...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back