News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Starting Monday, 9/21 - Get to know Jim Franklin
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 12:03:29 PM »
After you saw Kalen got beat by me, which means he must be about a 26, how come you only gave him a stroke a hole?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Carl Nichols

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 12:28:48 PM »
Jim:
In your opinion, which GCA poster is most likely to ask a question, the answer to which is that same GCA poster?   ;D 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 12:39:36 PM »
After you saw Kalen got beat by me, which means he must be about a 26, how come you only gave him a stroke a hole?

Because he said he was an 18. And since I am not a scratch, I felt a pop a hole was enough.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 01:01:37 PM »
Jim:
In your opinion, which GCA poster is most likely to ask a question, the answer to which is that same GCA poster?   ;D 

Ding ding ding...we have a winner ;D.
Mr Hurricane

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 01:17:29 PM »

Because he said he was an 18. And since I am not a scratch, I felt a pop a hole was enough.

Well, at least he has pushed it up a little. Perhaps I have to beat him a few more times until he pushes it high enough.
 ;D

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 01:19:16 PM »
Jim,

Which one's and in what order would you rank Tilly's 10 best?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
Jim,

Which one's and in what order would you rank Tilly's 10 best?

1. San Francisco
2. Winged Foot (W)
3. Baltimore CC (E)
4. Bethpage (black)
5. Somerset Hills
6. Winged Foot (E)
7. Baltusrol (U)
8. Ridgewood
9. Brook Hollow
10. Baltusrol (L)

I have not played Quaker Ridge, Fenway, Sunnehanna...
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »

Well, at least he has pushed it up a little. Perhaps I have to beat him a few more times until he pushes it high enough.
 ;D

What was his handicap when you played him?
Mr Hurricane

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2009, 01:47:48 PM »

;D

Ha,

You win 1 time, 1 up, and ur bragging...it was a gift.  PS...I recently shot a 86 on a tight course with some tough shot requirements, so I still got it...just gotta get my consistency back.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 01:51:04 PM by Kalen Braley »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »

;D

We played on that same trip Jim.....it was at Wine Valley!

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 02:17:16 PM »
Jim - do you know "The Wiz" at BCC?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »
Jim - do you know "The Wiz" at BCC?

Everybody knows the Wiz. And I mean EVERYBODY. He is a great guy.
Mr Hurricane

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 02:32:17 PM »
Apologies if this has been covered before and I just missed it, but has BCC experienced many of the pains other classic courses that have elected to host big golf tourneys have? And by that I mean, stretching holes out, altering greens to allow higher stimps, etc?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Franklin

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
Apologies if this has been covered before and I just missed it, but has BCC experienced many of the pains other classic courses that have elected to host big golf tourneys have? And by that I mean, stretching holes out, altering greens to allow higher stimps, etc?

We have stretched the course and altered some of the greens. We only altered three greens and they needed to be so we had a few more pin locations to use. As for stretching, they still want to stretch which I think is wrong. If they want to hold a PGA event then fine, but I do not think the membership wants to do that. If they keep the rough like it is for us and the greens at the same speed we play, then the course would be a challenge for the pros. Unfortunately they cut the rough, slow the greens and speed up the fairways for the pros. I certainly hope we are done tweaking for the foreseeable future. Now the West Course....
Mr Hurricane

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 02:47:31 PM »
Everybody knows the Wiz. And I mean EVERYBODY. He is a great guy.

Agreed, and I figured as much. I played one round with him during a M-G event a couple years ago in Richmond, and he left a lasting impression.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 03:37:18 PM »
I have to go pick my girls up from school. I will try to be on later, and will also write a little more about me so it may strike up some additional questions. Today was fun, thanks for the questions.
Mr Hurricane

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »

;D

As far as I know he does not have a USGA handicap. Therefore, it is impossible to answer that question.
I can tell you that he has claimed to be 5 strokes better than me.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2009, 05:19:40 PM »

;D

As far as I know he does not have a USGA handicap. Therefore, it is impossible to answer that question.

Lol...A few years ago, it was 5 shots better and then some.  I regularly shot low to mid 80s....but then I lost all my constitency...so now I figure I'm somewhere between 18 and 20.  No doubt the recent trip was even more brutal on me because most rounds I played were from tees I would not normally play from. 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2009, 08:52:01 AM »

;D

So when is Grudge Match II? I want to be there. Kalen, you need to submit your scores and get a handicap or you can have mine. I don't want it.

Lol...A few years ago, it was 5 shots better and then some.  I regularly shot low to mid 80s....but then I lost all my constitency...so now I figure I'm somewhere between 18 and 20.  No doubt the recent trip was even more brutal on me because most rounds I played were from tees I would not normally play from. 
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2009, 10:08:41 AM »
As many of you know I was born and bred in Baltimore ended up going to college at The U. It was a terrific 4 years. I was a member at Baltimore CC as a child, but never played golf. I was a baseball player, but loved watching golf on TV. I designed my own 9 hole course in my backyard and even made a scorecard for it. I only wish I could find it now. Anyway, it had 9 tee boxes with the same green (a dirt area our family used as the pitchers mound for whiffle ball games). I dug a hole in it and put in a plant pot as a cup. So I would go in the back yard with a 9 iron and a putter and "play" my course. I only broke a few windows ;D. That was the start of my golf love affair.

I did not play a regulation course until much later and only after college did I start to play. I even dropped my BCC membership for a while because I loved playing different places. I finally rejoined in 1996 after I figured it would be good for my business (small financial planning firm with my 3 brothers). We have clients in 40 states so I travel a lot and bring my clubs with me most of the time. In 1989 I started keeping track of where I played and started to try and play quality courses. I played most of the top 10 by 2002 when a friend asked if I ever considered being on the GD panel. Who wouldn't? I have played over 750 different places with my top 10 being CPC, NGLA, Pine Valley, Shinnecock, Rock Creek, Sand Hills, Pac Dunes, Merion, Oakmont, Prairie Dunes. Of the Golf Digest current top 100, I have played 87. ANGC is the big one I am missing (who isn't). I have a trip set to play Crooked Stick and Sycamore Hills in a few weeks. The pro at CS used to be at BCC and was a great help to me in getting on a lot of courses in the beginning. I miss Tony, but he is back in the midwest where he belongs.

GCA has been instrumental to me in looking at courses differently. I have learned a lot here and through reading numerous books. Please ask away. Oh yeah, I am so hooked on golf, my son's initials are G.O.L.F. I had the right last name for it.
Mr Hurricane

George Pazin

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »
Of the Golf Digest current top 100, I have played 87.

What were the biggest surprises, positive or negative?

You can always get on ANGC by qualifying and then winning the Mid Am... :)

Addendum: Just out of curiosity, do you think your baseball background helped you learn the game more easily? I have a good friend who played a lot of baseball and hockey growing up. He started playing golf fairly late, about age 27. He's one of the few late entry, infrequent golfers I know who can go out with little or no practice and shoot 85s.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:56:08 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Franklin

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
Of the Golf Digest current top 100, I have played 87.

What were the biggest surprises, positive or negative?

You can always get on ANGC by qualifying and then winning the Mid Am... :)

Addendum: Just out of curiosity, do you think your baseball background helped you learn the game more easily? I have a good friend who played a lot of baseball and hockey growing up. He started playing golf fairly late, about age 27. He's one of the few late entry, infrequent golfers I know who can go out with little or no practice and shoot 85s.

Biggest surprises have been BCC and Wannamoisett dropping out of the top 100 for so long. Also Kingsley not being in the Top 100. I understand why Friars Head, Ballyneal, The Alotian and some others have not made it in as they have not had the required amount of panelists visit. 

At the one Summit I went to, I was surprised at the variance in ratings from some panelists. I thought some were overly critical, but others were far too lenient. I was also surprised at some the players. I was expecting a group of scratch golfers, but there were some erratic playing that day. There were some really good players too, but more average players than I was expecting. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

As for baseball, I think it did help although I played baseball left handed and play golf right handed. For some reason I play wiffle ball right handed too. When I hurt my shoulder ending my baseball, I had to do everything left handed for over 3 months and became pretty good doing it. I have had one golf lesson my entire life on the full swing and one short game lesson. My current index is 2.7.
Mr Hurricane

Ed Oden

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2009, 06:53:54 PM »
Jim, a few questions that I apologize for if they've already been asked:

Is there any architect whose work you haven't seen yet (or enough of) that you feel the need to see?

How does the quality of your play affect your rating?

With all the great courses you've seen, can you still get excited about playing a dog track?

Ed

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 07:32:24 PM »
Jim-

Have you ever played:

1) Elkridge Club
2) Tobacco Road (what did you think of it)

Which is better, Pinehurst #2 or Pine Needles

Favorite hole at Caves Valley?

Happy that Miami has joined the ACC?

Ever been out the see the old MacRaynor 9 holer east of Baltimore....Gibson Island I think?

THanks!
Chip

Jim Colton

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2009, 08:27:07 PM »
I have played over 750 different places with my top 10 being CPC, NGLA, Pine Valley, Shinnecock, Rock Creek, Sand Hills, Pac Dunes, Merion, Oakmont, Prairie Dunes.

Impressive list, Jim.  What's your top 20?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back