News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Monday, 9/21 - Get to know Jim Franklin
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »
To date I have emphasized industry people, as I felt it was important to get off on the right foot.

Now I'd like to introduce the first one of us, someone who is "just" a golfer. In many ways, I believe this site was created for the golfer who just loves our wonderful playing fields and the love and care that goes into creating them. Jim, who has been a longtime poster on this site, epitomizes this as well as any of non-industry folks on here. He devotes a great deal of time and effort to studying golf courses - old and new, high profile and low profile.

It's also a great time for Jim to post, as his beloved Hurricanes are off to their best start in years. A late win over FSU and a dominating performance over GT means Jim can wear his orange with pride. :)

Jim has indicated Monday afternoon is great for him, so in the meantime, let's come up with some interesting questions.

For anyone interested, the plan is now to roughly alternate golfers with industry folks, with one of each per week.

-----

On Deck: Tim Gerrish, Mungeam Cornish Golf Design

Previous participants:

Jeff Brauer

Kyle Harris

Mike Young

Anthony Nysse
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

Re: Starting Monday, 9/21 - Get to know Jim Franklin
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »
Jim,

I managed to survive playing 18 holes with Kalen. How did you manage to survive your ordeal with him?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »
I will have you know that Mr. Hurricane is my idol - let him tell you why. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »
Jim? We talking about Jim?  I mean we're talking about Jim..  Jim, you know Jim!!   ;D

Garland, rest assured Jim and I got our fair share of trash talking in, but in the end, he played some great golf that trip and I still couldn't beat him even though he gave me plenty of HC strokes..  :'(

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:53:08 PM »
Jim:

Just some basics

How did you learn about GCA.com and how long did it take before you joined and started posting?

What are your favorite courses (3 to 5) and why?

If someone arranged for a jet to take you anywhere in the US to play golf at a course you have not previously played, where would you go? 

Same question, but in the world instead of the US?

What turns you off in golf course design?

Who is the greatest 3rd baseman of all-time?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »
Why isn't The U a golf power?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »

Jim,

What is your age?

As "just a golfer" are we at a disadvantage on this web site?

The Bernie Kozar Orange Bowl, best game ever?

What part of the country are you from?

What golf architecture features are over/under used?

What course have you played where you said "the raters got this one wrong"?

Do you own a pair of knickers/plus fours?

What do you think about Cruden Bay?

Who on this site would you like to play a "Grudge Match" with? Friendly one of course.

Thanks for being a good sport...............Anthony

Michael Robin

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 12:55:21 AM »
Hey Jim, what years were you at UM? I was there 80-84, Austin, Crosby years.

The UM Men's team was shut down in a response to Title IX as the Athletic Dept chose not to add teams to come into compliance, but to reduce, so they ditched Men's Golf and one other sport. Pretty absurd that the Univ of Miami in South Florida doesn't have a Men's Golf program, especially since it use to pay for itself with its own fundraising.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »
Jim:

How long have you been a magazine panelist?  How did you start?

Cathoilics vs. Convicts...greatest game ever?  ;)

What is your favorite hole at Baltimore CC?  Why?

How many trips to the UK for golf?

Do you usually walk or ride?

Most underappreciated course you have seen?

How reluctant are you to be critical of courses on GCA.com?

What one thing would make GCA.com better?

When are you coming to Grandfather to play? ;D

Good luck and thanks for participating!

Bart

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 03:57:37 PM »
What is your favorite non-BCC Tillinghast course?

Are there features that allow you to see common threads within Tillie's courses?

and

Which hurt more, Vinny Testaverde's interception against PSU or the pass interference call in the OSU/ Miami BCS Championship game?

:)

As a college football fan, I'm happy to see Miami and FSU both appear to be back - I think everyone is better off when the Florida schools are better on the national level. And I say that as a Pitt fan!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:32:20 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:58:39 AM »
I have a little time this morning so I thought I would answer some of your questions.

First from Garland, playing with Kalen was actually a lot of fun. We have similar temperments and I enjoyed our give and take. Neither of us were offended by each others' barbs and the back and forth was fun. I would play again with Kalen anytime.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »
Jim:

Just some basics

How did you learn about GCA.com and how long did it take before you joined and started posting?

What are your favorite courses (3 to 5) and why?

If someone arranged for a jet to take you anywhere in the US to play golf at a course you have not previously played, where would you go? 

Same question, but in the world instead of the US?

What turns you off in golf course design?

Who is the greatest 3rd baseman of all-time?

I first learned of GCA from my friend David Carroll. We are partners in a lot of team events around the state and play a lot together at BCC. I started posting fairly quickly. I started using a screen name Mr Hurricane that i received from a past club champ from Oakmont, but quickly changed to my real name when I was informed that that is how we do it on GCA.

My top 5 are:
Cypress Point - Fabulous collection of holes that I certainly don't need to elaborate on.
NGLA - Funnest course I have ever played. Blew me away the first time there and ever since.
Pine Valley - 18 signature holes. Not a weak hole in the bunch.
Shinnecock - Best test of golf in America. I need to play there some more (who doesn't)
Rock Creek Cattle Co - I was blown away by this course. The par 4s are definitely the stars of this shows and they offer some fantastic strategic values. #s 4, 7, 11, 15, 16 were among my favorites. this is certainly a place I want to see more of.

Where would I jet to in the US that I have not played? Hmmm, good question...Augusta National would be close to the top just to play it, but #1 for me right now would be Camargo. I loved Shoreacres and I hear Camargo is even better.

Royal County Down is #1 in the world followed closely by Royal Dornoch that I want to see. Royal Melbournne is up there to, but with three small kids that may not be an option unless it was a really fast jet.

My biggest turnoff in design is the ridiculous length some of these courses are becoming. And then lining each fairway with 5+ inch rough so you hack and gouge your way around. Not fun at all. I believe a tournament ball needs to be developed to address this so courses do not have to be 8000 yards to hold a professional event.

Mike Schmidt is the greatest third baseman of all time.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »
Why isn't The U a golf power?

The U gave up Men's golf because of Title IX. Since I have two girls, I guess it is a good thing, but...
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »

Jim,

What is your age?

As "just a golfer" are we at a disadvantage on this web site?

The Bernie Kozar Orange Bowl, best game ever?

What part of the country are you from?

What golf architecture features are over/under used?

What course have you played where you said "the raters got this one wrong"?

Do you own a pair of knickers/plus fours?

What do you think about Cruden Bay?

Who on this site would you like to play a "Grudge Match" with? Friendly one of course.

Thanks for being a good sport...............Anthony

I just turned 48.  Ouch.

With some of the design elements we are at a disadvantage on teh site, but it is a good way to learn. I may not participate in a lot of threads, but I read most because you can glean some good info from a lot of posters.

I was born and raised in Baltimore and currently reside there with my wife and 3 kids.

Painfully high rough is an overused feature in my book. I may have to get back to you on some underused features and put some more thought into it.

I think GD has totally missed the boat on Kingsley Club. I also think Sahalee is not a top 100 course and Rich Harvest Links is a little high on the list as well. I did like some of its quirk, but #46? Probably not.

I do not own a pair of knickers although if I had a nice orange and green pair, you never know....

Unfortunately I have not been to Cruden Bay.

Since I beat Kalen 7&6 giving him a stroke a hole last match, I would say I would like to play Pat Mucci. He seems like a great guy and a great player so why not play the best. Plus, he is an ND guy (like my brother) and I am a Miami guy. I think he would be fun to play.
Mr Hurricane

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 09:39:04 AM »
Not a question, but I am very fearful of the Canes this Saturday.  My team has no O (as usual) and less D than normal.

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 09:54:27 AM »
Jim's a nice guy who's pretty smart ( Mike Schmidt WAS the best!), but even he has a fault:

he hits the ball way too far past me! ;)
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 10:53:31 AM »
Hey Jim, what years were you at UM? I was there 80-84, Austin, Crosby years.

The UM Men's team was shut down in a response to Title IX as the Athletic Dept chose not to add teams to come into compliance, but to reduce, so they ditched Men's Golf and one other sport. Pretty absurd that the Univ of Miami in South Florida doesn't have a Men's Golf program, especially since it use to pay for itself with its own fundraising.

I was there from 80-84 as well. I went to The U to play baseball and got hurt. I ended up playing club lacrosse and had a blast doing it. I was friends with Ric Quinn who was on the golf team and met Crosby a few times. I did not start playing until after school. Where did you live while there? I spent the last two years in Mahoney.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 11:16:40 AM »
Jim:

How long have you been a magazine panelist?  How did you start?

Cathoilics vs. Convicts...greatest game ever?  ;)

What is your favorite hole at Baltimore CC?  Why?

How many trips to the UK for golf?

Do you usually walk or ride?

Most underappreciated course you have seen?

How reluctant are you to be critical of courses on GCA.com?

What one thing would make GCA.com better?

When are you coming to Grandfather to play? ;D

Good luck and thanks for participating!

Bart

I have been a panelist since 2002.

Catholics versus convicts was not the best game ever. Wrong team won. I think we had more Catholics on out team that year too ;).

My favorite hole at BCC is #10. You need to hit a good drive to set up a birdie. A bad drive leaves you a challenge to just reach the green. There is a pond fronting the green, but there is an alley to the right where you can run up a shot.

I have made 2 trips to Scotland, but need to make many many more. I love it there.

I generally walk and carry. With three kids I do not exercise as much as I should so walking and carrying is my exercise. And with the up and down nature of our last 5 holes, it is a good exercise.

The most underappreciated course everywhere but on Golf Digest is Victoria National. It recently fell out of my top 10, but I love it. Kingsley is underappreciated by GD and so is Northland CC. I loved Northland CC as it was brown, firm, and fast. Just ideal.

I sometimes am reluctant to be critical (except of course in relation to BCC) because that's just me. I hated saying Sahalee is overrated, and just because I do not think it is Top 100 material doesn't mean the course stinks. It's all opinions and everyone is entitled to one. It's what makes the world go around.

I like GCA. I like finding out about new courses and have met some really good people. If not for GCA, I would never have heard of Rock Creek, Ballyneal, Friars Head, etc...I am not sure what would make it better. Let me think about that a lttle longer.

I loved Grandfather when I played it a few years ago. I need to get back. I tell people all of the time how fast those greens were. So many places and so little time. Plus my big client in Charlotte has moved to St Louis which now makes it more difficult.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 11:17:47 AM »
Who is the most clutch 18th-hole putter you've ever had as a partner?

I needed you yesterday as my partner missed a 6 footer that would have made us some money. You are the man.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 11:24:47 AM »
What is your favorite non-BCC Tillinghast course?

Are there features that allow you to see common threads within Tillie's courses?

and

Which hurt more, Vinny Testaverde's interception against PSU or the pass interference call in the OSU/ Miami BCS Championship game?

:)

As a college football fan, I'm happy to see Miami and FSU both appear to be back - I think everyone is better off when the Florida schools are better on the national level. And I say that as a Pitt fan!

My favorite Tillie is San Francisco. I have not been there since Doak did his work so I am really looking forward to seeing it again.

I notice Tillie's big, bold bunkers and his cross bunkers. Most of his greens have back to front slope and can be treacherous. You never want to be above a Tillie pin.

Ah George, you had to bring up those two scenarios. The OSU* one hurt more because we WON the game and the ref took it away with a HORRIBLE call. Plus Coker blew the game by not using Frank Gore when Magahee went down. Terrible coaching. As for PSU, it was a bad play call. We were running through PSU at the end and JJ decided to let Vinnie throw it. I love Vinnie, but give the ball to Highsmith and watch him score. And you are right in you r introduction. I have my orange oxford (and I mean orange) with my green tie boldly on display. It's great to be a Miami Hurricane.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
Not a question, but I am very fearful of the Canes this Saturday.  My team has no O (as usual) and less D than normal.

Lane Stadium is a tough place to play. Thankfully it is not a night game. Tyrod pulled out a big win Saturday. Let's hope he doesn't do it again ;).
Mr Hurricane

Lou_Duran

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 11:37:36 AM »
How would you rate your home course (GD system) in as much detail as you care to provide?

Would a person who knows Tillie's work have any trouble identifying who designed it?

Has rating for a magazine helped or hurt your playing ability/handicap?

What do you think of the Biltmore course in Coral Gables?

BTW, Camargo is very nice but Shoreacres' stronger brother, Chicago GC, is better (IMO).

Are you sure you really "need" DSchmidt" as your partner?  And how do you feel about a putter you can't fit in your travel bag? 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 11:40:38 AM »
I guess I'll toss a few questions in the ring.

1)  You can only play 1 course for the entire year...which one do you choose?

2)  Mexican or Thai food for your last meal?

3)  What new innovations do you see in golf architecture in 50 years?

4)  As you are a born and bred Baltimor-ian, if you could pick one place to move to, where would it be?

5)  Which would you rather see 1st?  Miami or the Ravens win another championship.

6)  If you were cursed with my golf swing, would you have already quit the game?

Bonus question: Can you identify the six types of Quarks?   ;D

Jim Franklin

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
How would you rate your home course (GD system) in as much detail as you care to provide?

Would a person who knows Tillie's work have any trouble identifying who designed it?

Has rating for a magazine helped or hurt your playing ability/handicap?

What do you think of the Biltmore course in Coral Gables?

BTW, Camargo is very nice but Shoreacres' stronger brother, Chicago GC, is better (IMO).

Are you sure you really "need" DSchmidt" as your partner?  And how do you feel about a putter you can't fit in your travel bag? 

If GD just used my rating for BCC, we would have been #50 on the list. It scores well on Resistance to Scoring with some of the new tees and the rough. It is very playable from the appropriate set of tees and it has a nice variety of short holes, long holes, dogleg lefts, dogleg rights. I think it scores well with aesthetics as well. Conditioning may take a hit, but it has been tough in the mid-atlantic this year. The course is generally too soft.

I believe a person that is familiar with Tillie's work would recognize BCC as a Tillie right away.

Rating courses has helped my handicap in that I try different shots that I never would have in the past. I look for different opportunities to hit these shots now as well.

I only played the Biltmore once and it was a LONG time ago.

Yes, I do like Chicago GC better than Shoreacres as well.

And yes Schmitty is the man. As for the long putter, not my cup of tea, but if Dave is my partner, he can use it all he wants.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »
I guess I'll toss a few questions in the ring.

1)  You can only play 1 course for the entire year...which one do you choose?

2)  Mexican or Thai food for your last meal?

3)  What new innovations do you see in golf architecture in 50 years?

4)  As you are a born and bred Baltimor-ian, if you could pick one place to move to, where would it be?

5)  Which would you rather see 1st?  Miami or the Ravens win another championship.

6)  If you were cursed with my golf swing, would you have already quit the game?

Bonus question: Can you identify the six types of Quarks?   ;D

1. I gotta go with CPC as you can at least play all year long. Now if the weather was summer weather for an entire year, I am going with Rock Creek because it had everything in a course I would want.

2. I need a rematch on the Thai deal. I should have gotten the grilled chicken dish you had.

3. That question is probably better suited for an expert. I just hope the 9000 yard course isn't a regular occurance.

4. My daughters want to move out west to the desert. I would love Phoenix.

5. Not even close. Go Canes! I could care less if the Ravens win or lose, but as long as their team consists of a few Canes then all is good.

6. Tennis anyone? Seriously, a little practice and you will be fine. You understand what needs to be done, you just need to do it.

Bonus question - ?
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back