News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

brad_miller

Re: The merits of Prairie Dunes vs. Open Rota Cour
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2002, 09:33:36 PM »
Matt, thanks for your comments under the course profile section. My understanding is that after the US Women's Open some width will return to certain fairways, allowing for one to better attempt to play the angles given a certain pin position. Your comment on the greens hits all the right buttons, and there sure are many ways to play ones second and third shots given the wind and pin location :)

How might you compare the greens for those that have not been? What were your favorite Perry and Press holes?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Matt_Cohn

Re: The merits of Prairie Dunes vs. Open Rota Cour
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2002, 11:02:57 AM »
Trying to compare the greens at Prairie Dunes is hard. Some of Pete Dye's greens are the best I can come up with. For those who have played the Mountain course at La Quinta, a few of those greens are not too far off...but add more slope, more speed, and more wind. #'s 6 and 7 there come to mind, if I remember right. I think several Pete Dye courses might make the best comparisons.

At Inverness, #4 and #14 are similar to PD greens.

Other courses have a lot of slope, but I've never seen greens subdivided into such small areas as at Prairie Dunes. To say it a different way, it's not just the degree of the slopes, but how many different slopes there are. There is so much going on in those greens. If you're trying to make a green diagram for a yardage book, you can sit there for 5 or 10 minutes drawing all the little ridges and mounds and valleys. If you're more than 15 feet from the hole, you're guaranteed to have more than one slope to consider on your chip or putt. Complicated is a good word to describe them!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back