News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

"Hallowed Ground" & "World Atlas of Golf"
« on: April 27, 2002, 02:57:58 PM »
I was making my biweekly trip to Half Price Books the other day to see if there was anything interesting & came across two things.

1) About 5-6 copies of "Hallowed Ground: Golf's Greatest Places" by Linda Hartough & Jaime Diaz. Paintings by Ms. Hartough & historical essays by Mr. Diaz of holes from some of golf's most famous courses. Her paintings are more photographic than the awe inspirings works of Mike Miller & Jaime Diaz's writing can't really be compared to Goeff Shackelford's, but it's a decent value at $15. About 1/3 of Mike & Geoff's work, which probably accurately reflects their relative worth ;).

2) One copy of The World Atlas of Golf, one of the earlier editions, if I recall correctly. I think it has Ganton instead of The Belfry. I already have this edition (as well as the next:)), but it's a steal at $10.

Anyone who wants one of the above, email me at sunflowr@usaor.net & I'll try to snag you a copy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

ed_getka

Re: "Hallowed Ground" & "World Atlas of Golf"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2002, 10:23:24 PM »
George,
 If you or any others are interested in purchasing some golf books, I am selling some of my golf library so I can pay for some golf trips. The generosity of people I have come in contact through GCA in the past year has been overwhelming and now I am trying travel to see some of them. I'm really excited to be seeing some great architecture up close and have a better understanding of some of the discussions that go on here.

GCA has introduced to me a whole new group of golfers with a common interest. I'm glad I was able to help put the Barona outing together to try and give something back to those who have been so kind to me. I'm looking forward to Bethpage and meeting some of the east coast contingent.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2002, 05:06:44 AM »
You're selling off your golf books to make golf trips? Wouldn't it be a better value to sell off your cat, family, house and car? Don't forget, with those books, you can always travel - cheap - and never spend a dime.

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2002, 07:49:20 AM »
Brad,
 Your books are not on the list. ;) With more than 400 books, I can downsize a little and still have plenty of golf to experience with whats left. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

brad_miller

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2002, 07:52:01 AM »
Ed, that makes me feel much better, sounds like quite a library. What are your fav hidden gems? Do you have the ones on my short list?

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2002, 02:23:09 PM »
Brad M.,
 I have most of the architecture books, other than the ones that haven't been reprinted by someone and cost more than $200. I really like the writing of Herb Wind (who I have been fortunate enough to get to know over the last 4 years). One of my most cherished books is The Links reprint that Herb gave me as a gift. Candid Caddies is a favorite that is sooo funny. Taylor on Golf I love simply because of the beautiful cover. Murdoch's Golf Library is a hidden gem that is a must for any golf book collector, it contains many anecdotes of Joe Murdoch's collecting exploits. I could go on, but I'm sure this is boring to read. What are the books on your short list?

Gaylord Fucher

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2002, 12:09:37 AM »
congratulations to you ed getka you have learned so well from huckaby on how to make your life sound like a bleeding heart story and obtain access to any golf course of your desire. whats next, a story how your time posting offsets the cost of donating to golf club atlas? especially since it has gotten you to dupe so many into letting you into their private enclaves here in the east? stay in california, please!

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2002, 02:57:03 AM »
HooHaaa! Doesn't Gaylord Fucher's message prove there's a weird and spite-filled Internet mentality out there devoid of all superego?

However, even if anonymous, having to think of oneself as Gaylord Fucher could explain a lot. This is nothing that our own Dr. Katz's can't fix though!

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2002, 07:58:13 AM »
Hey Ed, looks like we have a fan.  

Peace be to you, Gaylord.  

To quote a great sailor, I am what I am and that's all that I am.  If I somehow offend you, please do use the ignore feature.

TH

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2002, 05:03:56 AM »
Ed
How did you get to know Wind? How is he doing? If he were still in good shape he'd make a hell of an interview for Ran.

ed_getka

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2002, 05:11:23 PM »
Tom,
 I started collecting golf books about 6 years ago. After a year or so I learned that Herb was still alive and I wrote him a letter and we corresponded back and forth as Herb answered my never ending questions. The next time I traveled back east I asked Herb if I could stop by to say hi and meet him in person and he said no problem. We went to lunch together and talked golf for 3-4 hours and it was such a treat, that we do it every year. Herb is such a GREAT guy and loves to talk with people who understand and cherish the game of golf like we do. He is in quite good health (for someone almost 90) and lives in a senior community near Concord, MA. He really likes to meet with people and like many elderly folks he has a tendency to repeat himself, but he is such a delight and fountain of information. He doesn't write letters much anymore, but if you ever have the opportunity to meet him you would have a wonderful time. I'm looking forward to next month when I can drive up from Bethpage to see Herb again.

If Ran would like to interview him I think Herb would be open to that. If I can be of any assistance in that regard let me know.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back