News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Teeing off over a bridge - objection or indifference?
« on: November 16, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »
Envision a straight ahead par 4 or 5 with a slightly elevated tee shot over a river. The line of play is over a walking bridge for this river. Is hitting over this bridge objectionable from a design standpoint? Does the quality and style of the bridge affect your reasoning?
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Sean_A

Re: Teeing off over a bridge - objection or indifference?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »
Envision a straight ahead par 4 or 5 with a slightly elevated tee shot over a river. The line of play is over a walking bridge for this river. Is hitting over this bridge objectionable from a design standpoint? Does the quality and style of the bridge affect your reasoning?

Is the walking bridge for golfers only or a public bridge?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »
Not sure what the issue would be.  There are plenty of courses out there where you might have to play a second shot over a walking bridge
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 12:44:38 PM »
How about hitting over a busy roadway and a power line on the first tee shot of the day?  IIRC, that's the situation at Stanford's golf course.  The rest of the golf course is great, but that first shot is a little off-putting as someone who had never played the course before.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:42:16 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:54:52 PM »
Definitely better to have the bridge off the direct line of sight. Yes, the quality, style and size of the bridge would have an impact on how much importance I would give this in my design choices.

John Connolly

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 07:18:28 PM »

Ciao

Sean,

It's just for golfers on the course. Barely wide enough for a golf cart.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 07:33:48 PM »
 8)

As long as the carry isn't close to  the limit for most of the players doesn't bother me at all.  Just rip it over the bridge and enjoy the crossing of the river

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
John,

If possible, keeping a bridge out of the direct line of play would be better, similar to cart paths, as it detracts from what is likely a pleasant landscape and avoids the unfortunate situation of a tee ball ricocheting off of it.   A local municipal course (Kildonan Park) in Winnipeg plays over an elevated & abandoned rail bridge, certainly a unique feature.

I posted some pictures of it on this thread;
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59929.msg1415028.html#msg1415028
TK
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:37:51 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 03:14:57 PM »
John, is your question solely limited to tee shots?
What about approach shots to par 4/5s?

I do not have any objections provided the bridges are "low-key" and do not present an excessive optical distraction.
I mean. the bridges must be there for a reason...like, um....to allow golfers to get over a river or stream. Without them, would the hole still work or would the entire premise be moot as the "other side" would then be unavailble for play.

My preference, of course, is to avoid penal hazards in general, but - given that some great courses are routed around running water - bridges are fine. Build them tastefully and play away please.

Someone at the club will have stories of a topped drive hitting the bridge and bouncing over onto the fairway then making a birdie!!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 06:58:20 PM »

Coincidentally, I walked a course just yesterday where they spent a considerable sum during remodel to move a cart bridge maybe 20 feet off the visual centerline of the tee shot. 

Most courses wouldn't do it for budget reasons, but it is obviously desirable visually, and if there are railings, maybe for safety, too.  It also depends on which of the typical multiple tees it affects.  I have seen cases where only the back tees at a different angle are affected.  Given the 1% who play those, I think you could save the money.  If the middle tees are affected (both more players and more spray) you have a bigger need to move it.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Connolly

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 10:57:21 PM »

I have seen cases where only the back tees at a different angle are affected.  Given the 1% who play those, I think you could save the money.  If the middle tees are affected (both more players and more spray) you have a bigger need to move it.

That is pretty much the situation I was referring to. I'm sensing a very slight majority of responders advocating its move for architectural sake. Very helpful feedback. Thanks, all.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 12:51:58 AM »
I don't remember ever running into this situation but I would think the bridge would be a visual distraction.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 01:56:32 AM »
Quite common on Links courses, but the bridges are usually to the side of the fairway. E.g. North Berwick  16th features "flanking Bridges" where I've seen one bound accross. Depending on the wind direction, the bridges are very much in play.

The Swilken Bridge being the most famous example.

I've also been overtaken by a ball while crossing the bridge to the right of the first at Deal.  Not normally in driving range but the following player couldn't be arsed to walk back to the proper tee and misjudged his strength. Or perhaps he was showing off to his new bride. ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 02:13:40 AM »
In my "youth," I remember teeing off with a bridge immediately to the left and hitting a vicious duck hook that dived into the pelvis of a man pulling a cart. He hit the ground and lesson learned to wait patiently.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 03:12:36 AM »

Ciao

Sean,

It's just for golfers on the course. Barely wide enough for a golf cart.

Depending on length of carry, scenery and how the tee shot is framed and I think you have a chance at a fun shot.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

MClutterbuck

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 09:06:50 AM »
If I recall correctly, Tom Doak selected a par 4 with a tee shot directly over a small wooden bridge and creek as one of the best opening holes in Volume 2.

I likewise have no issue with the bridge. It makes it a nice walk directly onto de fairway on the other side, and the few times someone tops his ball and bounces off the bridge we get good laughs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back