News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Goswick Golf Club profile posted under Courses by Country
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:48:05 AM »
When Malcolm Mckinnon spotted the GCA cover photograph of Goswick, he started a thread on which two things emerged. Malcolm lamented that he didn’t have better photographs and Sean Arble, alluding to that, noted that he couldn't gain much sense of the land movement. Maybe my course profile remedies both situations. You tell me - here it is:

http://golfclubatlas.com/goswick-golf-club/

Both Richard Fisher and Benjamin Warren had forecast the allure of a game here - and fortunately they were right with their words trumping Tom's tepid remarks from 30 years ago in Volume 1. The club graciously allowed my fiancé and me to walk it on a Saturday afternoon late in September. Few golfers were out that day and since I cherish afternoon golf, thoughts of how happy I would be if this was my 'local' danced in my head.

In reading Donald Steel’s always engaging Classic Golf Links, I noticed that he was uncharacteristically silent in terms of bestowing architectural credit for Goswick. Working with the club secretary, I was put in touch with Ian McCreath, whose father had penned the club's centenary book some 25 years ago. Ian provided the roadmap of "who did what when" and he is liberally quoted in my profile. The course was a bit of a 'late bloomer' - it was still less than 5,000 yards in the mid-1920s and I assume that helps explain why it didn't score in Darwin's 1910 Golf Courses of the British Isles. Not until Darwin passed away in the early 1960s did Goswick reach something near today's iteration.

There is an uncontrived simplicity to this course and club that makes me yearn all the more to live in the UK where the game is so cleanly presented. Apparently, GolfClubAtlas went sixteen years without giving Goswick its due and now, there are two threads on the first two pages to atone for the error of our ways.

All's well that ends well!

Best,
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:05:58 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Niall C

Re: Goswick Golf Club profile posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:10:33 AM »
Ran

Nice review. Goswick is firmly on the wish list. I managed to pick off another long time target in Luffness New this year and it reinforced my liking for this kind of course. I look forward to playing Goswick in the not too distant future.

Niall

ps. I don't normally approve of caddies but looks like you've got a cracker there.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 07:34:39 AM »
Great to see Goswick finally getting some attention here.  Hopefully this profile will heighten interest in a get together there next year.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »
Are you organising ?  :)

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »
Thanks for this review which together with Malcolms recent photo-tour make me more inclined than ever to play Goswick.

Malcolms photo-tour - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63738.0.html

As to heritage, the website for Seaton Carew GC, down the coast near Middlesborough, mentions a letter from Alister MacKenzie in which MacKenzie describes Goswick prior to WWI as "very poor" - h http://www.seatoncarewgolfclub.co.uk/page.aspx?pid=37105

How times change!

From these two visit reports Goswick seems like subtle, gentle golf. Would that be correct?

Atb
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:49:40 PM by Thomas Dai »

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »
Niall,

I imagine Luffness New has a similar vibe and like Goswick would offer a low key escape. What I find poisonous about American golf is trumped up architecture meant to impress rather than provide harborage from life’s bustle. Ideal golf for me is a more basic, primal interaction with the land as opposed to a fussy, formalized affair. Not surprisingly, a low profile golf course often sets the tone for a low key club atmosphere!

Best,

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 03:44:01 PM »
Great to see Goswick finally getting some attention here.  Hopefully this profile will heighten interest in a get together there next year.
I'd like to see that, Mark. The nine holes we played in a downpour are a bit of a blur... Ran's review should help my memory.  ;)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »
On a different note, the red banner of www.GolfClubAtlas.com has always been a little "out of sorts" all these years. It appears that we now have an answer with Mrs GolfClubAtlas.com:

Seriously I love this course from afar. Thanks for posting.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Giles Payne

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 09:24:50 AM »
The reviews bring back very fond memories. It is a great place to play golf with the club very welcoming. It is also a good test of golf.

Well worth a visit.

Michael Moore

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 11:20:22 AM »
Ah, May of 2015, when, outside of a few dismissive comments about the doomed Scotlexit,  Americans and British could meet up without immediately comparing notes on the future of liberal democracy. I made the trip to Goswick from North Berwick on the last day of my holiday, and it was worth every mile.

I was greeted warmly and was sent to a very fine practice area, just a 400-yard wide-open field where you can truly loosen up and let it all hang out. Fairly soon, I was called over to the first tee and was paired with two senior citizens, one of whom asked me if I was up for “a pained, a pained, a pained”. Come again? “A pained, a pained, a pained.” Excuse me? “Come on laddie, it’s the morning game. With two other groups. A pound on the front, a pound on the back, and a pound for eighteen.” Stroke play in the Kingdom! My three pounds went into the Nassau (is that what they call it?)  pile never to return, but I made two fine acquaintances. I got some funny looks when I announced a solo trip to the old country, but the trash-talking and parsimonious wager-reckoning after my round was as if I had never left Riverside Municipal.

You ever meet a girl who was very plain and very hot? That’s Goswick - not that quirky, not that scenic, not that striking. But Ran is correct – when you peer into the course and try to seek fault . . . with the closing hole, with the flat holes . . . you can’t find it. I’m still trying to put my finger on an “everyday” course, but this is it if there ever was one.

P.S. – I played the too-blind and too-steep Castle Bamburgh in the afternoon. Although this course was spectacular and quirky, perfect for the Painswick nerds out there, I wish I had played Dunbar instead, or perhaps even played Goswick again. There’s plenty to do in the neighborhood. And yes, whenever I am flailing about in the wind and the fescue and see those peaceful souls walking their dogs on those massive beaches, I want to trade places.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 11:48:10 PM »
Ran,

I Salaam you. Great Photos from a master!

How is it that we both have such exquisite taste?

Please post photos from Reddish Vale. Now another UK top priority for me in Cheshire. Where else did you play that trip?

Malcolm
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 12:12:16 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »
Ran,

Please post photos from Reddish Vale. Now another UK top priority for me in Cheshire. Where else did you play that trip?

Malcolm

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/england/reddish-vale-golf-club/

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46177.msg1018525.html#msg1018525

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 03:02:04 AM »
Ran,

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Please let me know when you plan to visit Reddish Vale. I will be delighted to join you.

It is interesting to see Sean's photos again from 6 years ago. We have removed an enormous number of trees since then, particularly on the first six holes. It's a vast improvement.

Michael Moore

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 10:43:15 PM »
"She seems quite indifferent so far; and she is not really beautiful. She is a good-sized girl, at least five feet six and a hundred and thirty-five pounds - as big as a majorette - and her face is a little too short and pert, like one of those Renoir girls, and her eyes a little too yellow. Yet she has the most fearful soap-clean good looks. Her bottom is so beautiful that once when she crossed the room to the cooler I felt my eyes smart with tears of gratitude. She is one of those village beauties of which the South is so prodigal. From the sleaziest house in the sleaziest town, from the loins of redneck pa and rockface ma spring these lovelies, these rosy-cheeked Anglo-Saxon lovelies, by the million. They are commoner than sparrows, and like sparrows they are at home in the streets, in parks, on doorsteps. No one marvels at them; no one holds them dear. They flush out of their nests first thing and alight in the cities to stay, and no one misses them. Even their men pay no attention to them, anyhow far less attention than they pay to money. But I marvel at them; I miss them; I hold them dear."   Walker Percy, The Moviegoer
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back